DVC should be PRIORITY 1!

Dr. Jones

Earning My Ears
When WDW re-opens, Any person who is a DVC member should be the priority, not just given "credit" for closure of the resorts and parks-- even more so than Florida residents. I know this may sound harsh but there is quite a bit of money "spent" by DVC members every year. In a related point made, not sure why Florida residents get "PERKS" on discounted park tickets more so than DVC members, to me that's not right. DVC members would attend the resorts and parks more often if tickets wouldn't be so pricey...any other thoughts that could be shared?

Your costs are sunk, Disney has your money, and if you sell your contract they will just get someone else's money. Its a really bad business decision to put DVC members first - we should probably be last. As a business, first should either be resort guests, who spend more per trip than anyone else - particularly opening up the Deluxe resorts first and leaving the values sit idle. Then probably Florida residents, because Disney is heavily dependent on the goodwill of the Florida legislature.

Safer if only Florida residents are allowed into the parks when they first open. Welcoming those who travel from other states and countries just increases the risk of further "hot spots" of infection. FWIW, I've never believed DVC Members as a class are entitled to more than what they purchased.

Perhaps those who think DVC Members should be the first, would be OK if those who own the largest number of points get priority over those who own small contracts?

Safer if only Florida residents are allowed into the parks when they first open. Welcoming those who travel from other states and countries just increases the risk of further "hot spots" of infection. FWIW, I've never believed DVC Members as a class are entitled to more than what they purchased.

Perhaps those who think DVC Members should be the first, would be OK if those who own the largest number of points get priority over those who own small contracts?
Of course not! It should be determined by Blue card vs white ID 😁 . The “I paid more than you” will support this.

I think if I was Disney I'd open parks to Florida AP residents first. They live there so no flying or lodging costs. If they show up at 10am and get turned away due to capacity they have no real loss other than $3 in gas. I'm personally a DVC member. If I spend the money to fly down and use points for a room and all of a sudden they decide to limit the parks to 2000 people those days and I don't get in, I'm probably going to be mad. I hate to refer to the FL AP holders as guinea pigs, but they are the best group logistically to allow in to see if the plans Disney puts in place work without worrying about disappointing guests. Also, if Disney has to alter plans close in (few days before or day of) it won't affect someone who lives in Celebration near as much as those who live out of state and are flying in and paying for rooms.

Personally, I have always felt DVC (and Disney) have treated me pretty well as a DVC member. OP, just out of curiosity, how much do you think DVC member should be charged for annual passes (or other tickets)?

When WDW re-opens, Any person who is a DVC member should be the priority, not just given "credit" for closure of the resorts and parks
No way. When WDW re-opens the first priority has to be the parks. No reason for anybody to go there until then. After the parks, you need things like restaurants. After that, resorts (including DVC).

Your costs are sunk, Disney has your money, and if you sell your contract they will just get someone else's money.
If you sell your contract on the resale market, DVC doesn't get anything.

If you sell your contract on the resale market, DVC doesn't get anything.

I think you missed the point. Somebody else's money will just replace yours (and probably with more, at least for a while) with what's spent after the sale at WDW.

No way. When WDW re-opens the first priority has to be the parks. No reason for anybody to go there until then. After the parks, you need things like restaurants. After that, resorts (including DVC).

Actually, DVC resorts should be the first thing to open so that the points that are lost stops. I think the new announcement is a sign that very well will happen sooner than later.

Actually, DVC resorts should be the first thing to open so that the points that are lost stops. I think the new announcement is a sign that very well will happen sooner than later.

And we may even get what we wished for. DVC resorts open before the parks even do.

Opening resorts & restaurants first works for some :)
The big advantage of opening parks to WDW Resort Guests first is that WDW would have more control over park attendance. They could opt to limit how many rooms are rented per resort, stagger which park/which resort, etc. Verifying resort guests would be the same as during EMH. They could even keep the park parking lots closed, utilizing Disney Transport (adding more transport as determined by resort occupancy), or walking as the only acceptable method of getting there.
Allowing FL residents in first would be a more difficult & time consuming task, as they would have to verify residency on each & every person. Not to mention, there are many, MANY more FL residents than the total maximum resort capacity of all WDW.
APs could be further extended to any guest not entering a park during the limited opening (leaving the onus on resort guests if they wish to attend a park during limitations).

It's not a matter of who wants it more - it's a matter of which method would have the most control over limiting attendance, while still maintaining safety guidelines.

I've read the "open to FL AP holders more than once" but I can't see the point of that. AP holders really = already paid as far as Parks is concerned. Disney will want money into the parks not to be operating them for a lower paying guest. I would open for DVC owners before that for 2 reasons. 1 - The DVC resorts need to get open once they are allowed to and once Disney decides it's safe for anything to open. 2- DVC does not necessarily mean AP holder so they would be selling tickets to some, maybe many of those visitors. If they need to be allowed onsite into the DVC resorts then might as well allow them in the parks. First choice though is guests who pay for hotel and tickets and if there's a need to limit the park attendance beyond what will happen naturally I might even consider limiting local AP holders and do additional extensions on those AP's. Or maybe some sort of limit on a daily basis that requires a reservation, once again with some type of extension to compensate for not having 100% access.

I am going to echo what many others have already mentioned. From DVC/Disney's perspective, owners are actually at the lowest of their priority list. They have our money already (except for resale purchasers, who are even lower on the list!), so there is no extra incentive to "treat us better." Plus, since owners go in somewhat regular intervals, they are less likely to splurge than the "once in a lifetime" crowds, which generally means less revenue.

LAX

I think if I was Disney I'd open parks to Florida AP residents first. They live there so no flying or lodging costs. If they show up at 10am and get turned away due to capacity they have no real loss other than $3 in gas. I'm personally a DVC member. If I spend the money to fly down and use points for a room and all of a sudden they decide to limit the parks to 2000 people those days and I don't get in, I'm probably going to be mad. I hate to refer to the FL AP holders as guinea pigs, but they are the best group logistically to allow in to see if the plans Disney puts in place work without worrying about disappointing guests. Also, if Disney has to alter plans close in (few days before or day of) it won't affect someone who lives in Celebration near as much as those who live out of state and are flying in and paying for rooms.

Personally, I have always felt DVC (and Disney) have treated me pretty well as a DVC member. OP, just out of curiosity, how much do you think DVC member should be charged for annual passes (or other tickets)?

FL is a very big state, some people have to travel as many as 6-7 hours to get to WDW depending on where you live so that kind of puts a hole in this theory.

I agree with you, I too feel that I have been treated well by DVC. Not too many complaints from me in that camp.

Last edited:
So many opinions, so many whys this could go. Sure glad I'm not the one who has to decide. It's really hard to please everyone, try as you might it's almost impossible. I wish whoever it is that has to make these decisions well and I hope I like the decisions they make. :thumbsup2 (LOL it's a joke people but not really)

With that being said I do believe that DVC resorts have to be opened as soon as possible. Disney is contractually obligated to do so and to avoid further problems with points that are backing up it would be in their best interest to get them opened sooner rather then later. This could mean that the resorts are open before the parks but then that is all we are guaranteed access to.

I hope in the end when this is all sorted out we are all happy and can get back to enjoying Disney. :tink:

Considering they're booking in June, my hunch is it'll just be something similar to the phased closures they already implement when they hit capacity only with much lower capacity. The phase 1 non-resort-guest entry could just be for Florida residents, and maybe there will be a soft opening prior to the official reopening, whenever that ends up being.

I agree with the idea of starting with Florida residents, but no way would they sell packages with free dining and ban resort guests. That'd be NUTS! But as for DVC, we're typically treated the same as any Disney resort guest. I suspect it'll be the same.

As a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see them discontinue the resort guest benefits to the disney springs resorts for a while (if that's possible in the contract they're under.) But that's way off this topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter