DVC resorts that don't interest you at all?

I joined DVC when BWV opened, but I really only joined because I could still go to SAB at BC, which was my all-time favorite, and everything was second-class, in comparison. Then I stayed at BWV and realized that I had actually made a smart investment because I loved it there! But I would never stay at OKW--till I had no choice, and I was very unhappy about it, too.

I fell in love with OKW, and now I am looking for an add-on.

We went to stay at VWL in July when they opened--I hated it! It was dark, and too darn quiet! You never see people, and those stupid trees never change:rolleyes:

Then I saw VWL at Christmas, and fell in love with the place. It is especially magical at that time of year, and suddenly the rooms weren't dark, they were "cozy" and "peaceful". So the on-site resorts are wonderful, but I'd never stay off-site. It's a second-class replacement for the real thing, and would never appeal to me.

Then I was dragged--kicking and screaming--to VB, and I fell in love with it, too. You know, it's such a different atmosphere, it's like getting a completely separate vacation, no rush-rush like you get at so many places in Florida.

So I'm learning never to say never. Just when I think a resort has nothing to offer, it surprises me by showing me that it does. I have 700 pts now, and do you know what resort is my least-favorite? BCV--the resort that I thought originally that I had to have. If I had stubbornly refused to try out all the other resorts I would have missed so much wonder and beauty, and I wouldn't have realized that each one has its own special gifts to offer if you are willing to look for them. :bounce:

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
If I had stubbornly refused to try out all the other resorts I would have missed so much wonder and beauty, and I wouldn't have realized that each one has its own special gifts to offer if you are willing to look for them

Well said Cruelladeville!!!!

They're all great resorts, we can be proud staying at any of them. For me personally, HH has far less appeal than the others due mostly to the fact that it's not on the Beach and that I own at Marriott's Grande Ocean which I would like better if they were side by side and it's an oceanfront unit and oceanfront resort.

The other is that I would be hesitatant to pay more points to stay at SS than OKW so we'll see how that works out.

We definately want to try them all at least once. There's something at each resort, that's an attraction. So. Not in terms of appeal, but rather, "vacation priority", we have not yet prioritized: BCV, HHI or VB.

BCV - We're BWV owners, so other than SB, I have no special interest in BCV. I'm sure one day, after a dinner at Cape May, the kids will point to SB, and ask "can we go to SB next time?". That's when, BCV will move up on my list. :cool:

VB - 2005 (maybe). Ok, so who's not got 4 years of vacations mapped out. B:p We're not really a "beach" family. Someday, we'll do only a couple of days tacked onto the end of a trip.

HHI - Currently, I can not think of a single specific reason why I would go to HHI. Maybe someday we'll plan a drive up the coast, and make HHI a short stopover....Hmmm. Let me look at my spreadsheet again. This gives me an idea. :D

As for...
VWL - I get to spend time with my childhood memories.
BWL - This is our Disney home.
OKW - I can always get a ressie there.

There are no DVC resorts that I would say I would "never" stay at. They are all very nice resorts, but at WDW, OKW is definitely my least favorite resort. I have changed trip dates to avoid staying at OKW, matter of fact I just canceled a trip in March due to the fact that I could not get any other DVC resort but OKW and rebooked for May with a villa at BWV. When I am at WDW, I am one of the people that loves to be in the middle of action, I want a super convenient location and all deluxe resort amenities and this I can not get at OKW. I love the large spacious 1 BRs at OKW but the larger villa does not compensate enough (for me) for the lack of convenience and amenities that I can get in the other WDW DVC resorts.
I am looking forward to trying SS because of the ability to walk to DTD and numerous good restaurants and entertainment within walking distance.
I have never stayed at VB and am in no hurry to go there only because I live at the shore with numerous beautiful beaches so that is not one of my trip priorities right now but I am sure someday I will try VB.

We have stayed at OKW, HH, BCV and BWV. The majority of our points are at OKW and we continue to like that resort for many personal reasons. We have enjoyed our stay at the other resorts
and each of them have their own attributes. There is no reason I wouldn't stay at any of them again.

I would stay at or try any of the resorts if I had a chance...

That being said, there are some that I choose to stay at more than others depending on the kind of trip I'm looking for...

We go to WDW to be in the middle of the action... So BWV only makes sense for us... Walking distance of both Epcot and the Studios... Cool pool... Lots of stuff going on... Plus with getting standard views, we can make our points stretch further for longer stays... (BCV is so close to BWV that I can't really justify staying there if BWV is available..)

I'd like to try VWL sometime just because of the ambiance... My DW and I are outdoorsy people so the lodge, and trees apeal to us..

OKW interests me too, but it is at the bottom of my priority list.. It's just too far removed from any of the parks and too laid back. (Like I said above, when we go to WDW, we want action..) Plus we almost never have a car when we go down, so having a condo unit to park in front of holds no advantages. ( Points go a lot further at OKW though, so I imagine we'll go there someday..)

Out of the off property resorts, I'd have to say that VB interests me more than HH, just because the weather tends to be more stable and warmer during the time of year that we travel...

We have never stayed at HH, but I hope to go there sometime next year... My DW and I don't golf, so we would have to find other sources of enteraintment there..

So to rate them in order:
WDW Property
BWV
VWL
OKW
BCV

Off Property
VB
HH

We stay at Sanibel every year (parents rent a condo on the beach), so we have no interest in VB.

If we didn't stay at Sanibel, we would probably be interested in VB.

We love BWV and HHI (our home resorts), and haven't ever seen the others but are looking forward to staying in all of them eventually.

We've stayed at BWV's (home), VWL and OKW. Another DH who will not stay at OKW again, too quiet. We like closing the doors to peace and quiet but knowing we can walk the boardwalk for some entertainment. VWL held no appeal to either of us, again being from the North, we have plenty of trees. It took forever one night to get DD an ice cream. I think we needed 2 seperate types of transportation. BCV was on my list due to SAB but after all the comments on this board, I think I'll skip it. I love my balconey whether its std or preferred view and I don't want to get stuck w/ a balconey over the road. Most of our visits, past and future will be at the Boardwalk but I will definately try the Springs when available. I like being close to Downtown Disney.

I doubt I'll ever end up at VB or HH. Beach vacations aren't my thing when compared to all there is to do at WDW.

I haven't stayed at VWL yet but I might try and switch my New Year's reservation over there if my friends go to WDW and they really want to be at MK for New Years Eve. I stay at the Boardwalk every spring and BCV in November and December. My other DVC trips are to OKW (takes fewer points).

SS being so close to PI is actually a selling point for me!

We own at BWV and VWL. I think all the resorts are great and each one has something unique. It's nice to plan activities and dinning options around the resort location and transportation options.

Certain times of the year (seasons) make different resorts more attractive than others. It's great to have choices onsite and off but I wonder if there can be to much of a good thing. With DVC success, I dont see the construction of new/add on resorts slowing down until the demand slows down.

I've always respected Disney's attention to detail and employee training so hopefully the future will bring more of the same.

DVC Newark New Jersey doesn't sound to good other than that....

I wouldn't have a problem staying at any of them. But there are three I'd like to avoid repeating...BWV, VB and HH. My plan is to do them all once...but VB and HH are kind of far for a beach trip. BWV...I just didn't like it...I might give it one more try and try to get a community pool view or a standard view. VWL is the only one I'm itching to get back to. OKW I plan to do one more time in a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Originally posted by Zurg
DVC Newark New Jersey doesn't sound to good other than that....

You know...Newark has quite a bit to offer. Disney probably could put in a DVC designed for cold climates in there. If I had control of this ambitious project I'd put in a mix of hotel and DVC suites around an atrium with a gorgeously designed pool and one or two excellent restaurants. I'd make sure it had easy but controlled access to the PATH/Penn Station.

DVC'ers could then get their fill of the arts, whatever kind of ball stadium they will eventually build in Newark, some really interesting ethnic foods (portuguese or brazilian anyone?) and of course the Newark Bears. If they needed to venture out they could hop on the PATH into New York...changing to a subway or cab to go see the shows and shop. Or they can catch a bus since the station is in the same complex. Want to do the beach? Hop a train! Six flags? Hop on a bus. Ski? that's harder but it could be done. Newark is just a hot bed of mass transit making it a highly affordable place to build a DVC...of course Disney would never do this. And they won't build a Manhattan DVC because of the price.

Newark today is a much better looking town than when I moved to NJ in 1981.

All of the resorts are certainly nice. The one that may have a little less of an appeal for us right now is Old Key West, but as we get older and start requiring a walker to get around, need to have our food mashed and strained, wear depends, require homecare and are not able to venture out of the room very much near 2036+, the advantage of OKW extra room for our home care nurse and hospital room equipment and being around other elderly seniors may help OKW may look much more appealing.....

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Just teasing, trying to make you laugh...... I could see the offiste resorts taking the biggest hit in this thread... I'm glad OKW owners love their resort, there's lots to like. Hope I'm still around in 2036+ to enjoy ANY DVC resort!

One of the best things about DVC is that we have 40 years left to try them all. We have been to OKW and BCV and loved them both, for different reasons. Each place had its rewards. We are booked for 3 nights at HH in July and I am thrilled about that. We live in the Midwest so a chance to be by the water will be a special treat for our children.

I want to try BWV and VWL but it is hard for me to branch out when we are so new to DVC. After a few years at BCV I am sure we'll be ready. I would say the property at VB will be our last one to try. We drive to Florida, and Vero is two and a half hours further away! Until the kids are bigger I can't contemplate more driving! And someday we will do a cruise -- again, when the chiildren are older.

My least favorite resort is BCV. We stayed there last summer and had a very negative experience. We won't be back. I've stayed at all the others with the exception of HH and we love them all. I must admit when getting a 1 bedroom I do tend to lean toward OKW exclusively. You can't compare the space there to any other 1 bedroom.

mickey--what was so bad about your stay at BCV? Was is the accommodations? We're thinking about adding on with points from BCV (that and HH is all that's available in our use year). But to be honest, when we toured the rooms, I was not impressed. Let me know.
Thanks.

I must say that the idea of DVC New Jersey is an interesting one, but you would have to include snow, ice, wind, and freezing rain inside that atrium to make it a true Jersey experience;)

We generally try to reserve comment on something or someplace that we know very little about, exceptions are such things as jumping from a large height upon hard concrete, we figure that it will squash one like a bug even though we have not tried it. Get the point.

That being said:
We have stayed at all of the current DVC resorts but BCV.
Definitely would like to stay there so that we might give an informed opinion. The question as posed does not requre a stay to not have any interest but we still like to have a basis for our opinions.

OKW - Enjoy the resort's large rooms with by the door parking. Great theming in the actual rooms. It's proximity to the Port Orleans food courts is a plus for a quick snack. The only negative for us is the lack of a kid friendly featured pool.

VWL - Love the feel that you are a million miles from everything. Enjoy the boat ride to FW and the MK. Rooms are smaller compared to OKW but are more than adequate. Enjoy walking around this resort, viewing the ELP at night from our balcony or the beach. Feature pool is okay, we actually spend more time at the 1 quiet pool due to its location. The commons areas here are wonderful.

BWV - Least favorite of the DVC resorts for us. We do not enjoy the long walks to and from the car or waiting around for valet. The rooms are very nice but compared to OKW are much smaller. We love the featured pool at this resort. We have no plans to stay here again in the future. It is way too much work with 3 little ones in tow. The location of this resort is great for getting to MGM and Epcot but for us the MK is still the destination that we spend the most time visiting.

VB - Loved the resort and the pool area. Hated the beach or lack of one for that matter. Did not find the local area food offerings to be up to what we enjoy at our 2 other beach vacation locations--Hilton Head and Daytona Beach. Our kids loved the activities. We could do with a little less of the DJ who was there for our 2 visits.

HH - Our favorite DVC resort (it had better be it its our home resort) for many reasons. No park tickets required for our vacations there. 2 vacations in one: a rustic experience at the resort with a great pool area for our kids and then a fabulous beach house just minutes away. Our kids enjoy "Shadow's house" just as much as they do WDW and so do we. Even though the beach is a short drive, we find it far superior to the VB resort's beach area. Kids love building sand castles on this beach.

Just one family's opinion. We look forward to trying BCV and the newest DVC resort SS when it opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter