DVC purchase order & getting spouse on board

Julz19ski

Earning My Ears
Hi All, I have been researching DVC and I am wondering what the con (if any) would be to buying resale and then purchasing additional points via DVC directly in order to get those benefits? Is it more expensive to buy lower amounts of points from DVC as an add on? Any insights would be much appreciated!

The second part of my question is to those who are part of a couple where you're all in for DVC but it wouldn't be your spouse's 1st choice. My DH likes Disney, but isn't 100% on board for DVC. Do you have any tips or suggestions for info I can share with him to show that DVC is a practical and wise investment?

Edit: by "investment" I intended to say "way to lock in a rate for future lodging"

Last edited:
I am wondering what the con (if any) would be to buying resale and then purchasing additional points via DVC directly in order to get those benefits?

Only potential "con" is you might have to wait to get the resort+UY combo you want direct once you have the resale contract. But buying resale then direct is the correct order, as it is easier to match UY that way than the other.

Is it more expensive to buy lower amounts of points from DVC as an add on?

No. You have to pay closing regardless, and so percentage cost of closing is higher for a small purchase, but it is what it is. Point cost for resorts is a fixed price.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for info I can share with him to show that DVC is a practical and wise investment?

DVC, like any timeshare, is not an investment. It's really pre-paying Disney vacations. If you are traveling to Disney World at least every other year, can plan 11 months in advance, prefer deluxe resorts and understand that DVC will be more expensive than values and even sometimes moderates with promotions, and can pay cash for the initial capital outlay, it can be cost-effective.

DVC, like any timeshare, is not an investment. It's really pre-paying Disney vacations. If you are traveling to Disney World at least every other year, can plan 11 months in advance, prefer deluxe resorts and understand that DVC will be more expensive than values and even sometimes moderates with promotions, and can pay cash for the initial capital outlay, it can be cost-effective.

Totally agree that timeshares are not investments. DVC resale value does hold up better than most, if not all, other timeshare systems when you need to sell.

:offtopic:Thank you, thank you, thank you, I am so glad you posted this:) I do not know how many times I read posters misinforming people by saying "you can rent DVC points and stay deluxe for the same price as a value".

:offtopic:Thank you, thank you, thank you, I am so glad you posted this:) I do not know how many times I read posters misinforming people by saying "you can rent DVC points and stay deluxe for the same price as a value".
Well, they also skip over the difference in room type. A villa is different, and you don't get things like mousekeeping and fresh towels. Club isn't an option. For some people, the level of service they want on a vacation/from deluxe is missing.

Invariably, the "same price as a value!!!" crowd is also pricing BWV Standard or AKV Value, both of which are small categories and hard to get as a renter, especially inside 11 months.

.....(snip)........... I do not know how many times I read posters misinforming people by saying "you can rent DVC points and stay deluxe for the same price as a value".
That may be true very occasionally, especially when Disney is running discounts & promotions, but it's definitely not the norm. It can also be misleading as the least expensive options for points are very seldom available to renters as they are taken by owners right at the 11 month window. It's easy to check a specific case - just multiply the point cost of a studio for the dates of the stay by the going rate. (I'd use $15 per point). Then compare that total with the price Disney is offering to the general public & don't forget to add the Florida tax to the Disney price.

Or you can just use David's Calculator. :) For example, renting one week in a studio during early December (least expensive DVC season) will run between $1104 (in a value at AKV) to $2268 (in Lake View at VGF or the Poly). Studios at BLT, BRV, CCV, BCV & BWV rent for around $1700-$2000 per week). To compare, during that same time, a week in the least expensive room at Pop Century would be about $925 and at the Caribbean Beach, $1505.

You aren't pre-paying for your vacation with DVC, you are pre-paying for your room only. Your costs for transportation, food, extras and maybe admission stays the same. Many increase their number of Disney vacations which increases their vacation spending.

:earsboy: Bill

Well, they also skip over the difference in room type. A villa is different, and you don't get things like mousekeeping and fresh towels. Club isn't an option. For some people, the level of service they want on a vacation/from deluxe is missing.

Invariably, the "same price as a value!!!" crowd is also pricing BWV Standard or AKV Value, both of which are small categories and hard to get as a renter, especially inside 11 months.

That may be true very occasionally, especially when Disney is running discounts & promotions, but it's definitely not the norm. It can also be misleading as the least expensive options for points are very seldom available to renters as they are taken by owners right at the 11 month window. It's easy to check a specific case - just multiply the point cost of a studio for the dates of the stay by the going rate. (I'd use $15 per point). Then compare that total with the price Disney is offering to the general public & don't forget to add the Florida tax to the Disney price.

Or you can just use David's Calculator. :) For example, renting one week in a studio during early December (least expensive DVC season) will run between $1104 (in a value at AKV) to $2268 (in Lake View at VGF or the Poly). Studios at BLT, BRV, CCV, BCV & BWV rent for around $1700-$2000 per week). To compare, during that same time, a week in the least expensive room at Pop Century would be about $925 and at the Caribbean Beach, $1505.
I totally agree with you both and was just glad someone else said it, it just bugs me every time I here that:eek::laughing:
I have rented pts twice, every time we decide to do another trip, I have the same routine. 1) Check TA exclusive deals (which I have reserved a deluxe for only a little more then renting studio pts). 2) Check DVC rates and if good then check availability. 3) Check WDW discounts (FL resident, AP etc.) 4) Make reservation and in the last case

Thanks everyone, what I intended was it is an investment in future lodging at Disney.

Hi All, I have been researching DVC and I am wondering what the con (if any) would be to buying resale and then purchasing additional points via DVC directly in order to get those benefits? Is it more expensive to buy lower amounts of points from DVC as an add on? Any insights would be much appreciated!

The second part of my question is to those who are part of a couple where you're all in for DVC but it wouldn't be your spouse's 1st choice. My DH likes Disney, but isn't 100% on board for DVC. Do you have any tips or suggestions for info I can share with him to show that DVC is a practical and wise investment?
Compared to staying at Disney Deluxe on cash, even with a discount, it may save yo money or it may not. It depends on what you compared to. You'll generally save money compared to deluxe's even with discounts and you may compared to Moderates as well. But it's a long term commitment. If you'll go at least EOY, ONLY use for DVC resort stays, value staying on property, can pay cash, are OK with the compromises and commitment of a timeshare and can plan at least 7 months out (11 months for some options); then it's likely a good choice if you go resale. Adding on a 25 pt retail package often is best as well but in part if depends on the specifics you're looking at. It will be more expensive but may add value. You need to spend enough time that you KNOW the answers to these questions as it applies to your situation, don't rush it and don't try to do it just to get the next trip on points as a discount. Much of the time when people do that it causes a poor choice and ends up costing them more in the long run.

Dvc has saved us quite a bit of money. But we are far from the typical travelers.

A. We were able to pay cash for each of our contracts
B. We like to always stay in a "suite/Villa" with a living room. (These are quite expensive when staying on cash)
C. We like to stay at a resort where we don't have to take a bus (or drive) to MK.
D. We can usually plan 9 months to a year in advance
E. We like to take trips with other families and the 2 and 3 br options are a nice way to stay together and still have your own space.
F. We like to go to Disney at least once a year of possible, and plan to go sans kids once we are empty nesters some day.

So with the comparison to suites on cash dvc is much cheaper. But we really are the perfect storm for a case to buy dvc.

We looked at buying in 2010 and only met about half of the criteria listed above and decided that as fun as DVC sounded it wasn't for us. We waited a couple of years and our financial status had changed as well as the impending arrival of children and we decided that DVC was now the perfect fit for our family. We bought in at BLT and have enjoyed it emensely. We bought in at 100pp and our contract had actually appreciated a little bit, but we were expecting and are still expecting it to depreciate at some point.

Compared to staying at Disney Deluxe on cash, even with a discount, it may save yo money or it may not. It depends on what you compared to. You'll generally save money compared to deluxe's even with discounts and you may compared to Moderates as well. But it's a long term commitment. If you'll go at least EOY, ONLY use for DVC resort stays, value staying on property, can pay cash, are OK with the compromises and commitment of a timeshare and can plan at least 7 months out (11 months for some options); then it's likely a good choice if you go resale. Adding on a 25 pt retail package often is best as well but in part if depends on the specifics you're looking at. It will be more expensive but may add value. You need to spend enough time that you KNOW the answers to these questions as it applies to your situation, don't rush it and don't try to do it just to get the next trip on points as a discount. Much of the time when people do that it causes a poor choice and ends up costing them more in the long run.
Great insights! We'll probably go and look at all resorts in depth to weigh options on home resort and points.

Thanks everyone, what I intended was it is an investment in future lodging at Disney.

Ok.

But I would still steer clear of the I word.

And the thing is, it's a constant expense. Dues aren't cheap. And if you're like me and borrow for the first 5+ years and end up with no points for awhile but still have to pay does, emotionally that can feel icky even when financially it still makes sense.

I'm actually the reluctant one, and it still frustrates me, even though I fully understand it and am actually the one that maintains the account, makes the bookings, and in the last few years, uses it more than dh and ds do.

It's not an investment.

DVC is a practical and wise investment?
But... it isn't. It's just a marketing mechanism to lock your business into Disney's coffers on a medium-long-term basis. ;)

My DH & I considered it for the better part of a year and then realized that it was not flexible at all for us, given where we personally are in our lives. YMMV but I would never encourage someone to think of their timeshare as an investment.

But... it isn't. It's just a marketing mechanism to lock your business into Disney's coffers on a medium-long-term basis. ;)

My DH & I considered it for the better part of a year and then realized that it was not flexible at all for us, given where we personally are in our lives. YMMV but I would never encourage someone to think of their timeshare as an investment.
Thanks! I clarified after what I meant by "investment" but you're totally right. I'm currently researching if it makes sense for us. There's so much to consider!

I'm in the same boat as you. I got my husband to agree to buying a contract after a week of convincing, but now I'm rethinking buying direct vs. resale. I want CCV, so resale isn't an option at this moment. I might just play the waiting game to see if any resale CCV come up. It has been 5 months since the first CCV purchases were made, so if the resale trend is similar to Poly/Aulani then a contract should come up for resale pretty soon. The only thing is I'm not sure if I want to go through the months of waiting for ROFR/Estoppel to pass.

I don't see CCV hitting resale as quickly as Aulani and Poly.

The big thing with those two resorts to keep in mind is that a bunch of people did (stupid, pixie-dust induced) things like buy Aulani on a cruise or because their rep said it was what was available, but they wanted to be booking Disney every year, in October. Or, they bought Poly but didn't understand that Poly is studios + bungalow$ and they really need 2BR units and don't like the "just get two studios!" solution.

I think CCV is more desirable than either in the sense of "complete selection of unit types" and "on campus."

Aulani had some early-days dumpster fire issues as well, like the fraudulent setting of dues and HI shutting down sales.

Thanks for the insight!

I heard you can get 2016 and 2017 points by buying direct and only paying the 2017 MF's. Does anyone know if that's true?

Thanks for the insight!

I heard you can get 2016 and 2017 points by buying direct and only paying the 2017 MF's. Does anyone know if that's true?
It depends on the UY, you get the points of the UY you buy (with a few exceptions for special situations). That's less than a fully loaded resale contract. It's not a good reason to buy retail unless the dollar difference is fairly small.

facebook twitter