DVC must stop rentals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an astrophysicist I can’t help but point out that Mercury can go as low as -290F at night, whereas Venus has a pretty much constant atmosphere that can melt lead.
I believe Hell freezes over at -250F so Satan would be in trouble too
Well, it’s not rocket science…oh wait. I guess that’s exactly what it is.

As an astrophysicist I can’t help but point out that Mercury can go as low as -290F at night, whereas Venus has a pretty much constant atmosphere that can melt lead.
I believe Hell freezes over at -250F so Satan would be in trouble too
Those gol-durned greenhouse gasses!

Hospitality House books earlier, consistently. That suggests that the two categories are at least slightly imbalanced.
Or that people just prefer to stay near HH. Every owner has the same chance to book at 11 months, it isn't possible for everyone to get the same rooms. I suppose they could make the rooms near HH higher points, but can you imagine the uproar? Every time the "rebalance" the points charts people lose their minds.

There are other systems that have taken steps to reduce (the appearance of) renting. Wyndham is probably the most aggressive, in that they limit the number of "pure" guest reservations an owner can make at the most popular resorts/times of year. (That limit doesn't apply if the owner is also traveling.)
After seeing the WBC updated blackout days for 2023, decided to book mid December there this year to utilize the covid credit we had lingering Will just bank those points that were allocated for that trip

We usually visit WBC in March/April. The dates are too restrictive now for that to happen. Who knows if they will revert in 2024

Seems to be working for them. While I’m sure there would be an outcry from many members, I wouldn’t have an issue if DVC instituted a similar, temporary policy. One that permitted each membership renting once or twice a UY only during non peak times.
I am not sure you do. Search any 'Is DVC for me' type thread and planning trips at least 7 months in advance (and preferably 11 months at your home resort) to get what you want is almost always a point raised.
True
think right now the problem is more overhang from Covid than people renting their points
Also, obviously true. Do think there is likely a substantial subset of members sitting on fully banked points
Ever try to book AKV Value or Club at 11 months?
Multiple times a year. Let me add in the standard BWV studios at the prime times too

Never an issue for us until ‘walking’ became widely discussed here

No, let me back that up. Once SSR was built, booking either AKV or BWV studio after 7 month window also became ‘a thing’.
I don't like that 1BR is easier to get than Studios pretty much everywhere (both within and outside 7 months).
Don’t book them, never a factor for us. If we need a bigger unit, we book WBC or one of the other likely suspects

I had hoped they’d temporarily permit members to use the large influx of banked points directly for mods or values. Assume staffing issues was a consideration there that attributed to it not being a viable option

We are Trying a 3 BR house at Margaritaville the end of July, as when looking for a relatively last minute trip the past week, nothing to be found to sleep All my adult kids on-site & WBC again blacked out

Has its own pool & hot tub as wellAs the resort pool access. As a plus, will bank some DVC points into next UY. My main concern is having an AP & doing the rolling 5 day park reservation. Hope to be able to grab something for those 6th & 7th park days

Or that people just prefer to stay near HH. Every owner has the same chance to book at 11 months, it isn't possible for everyone to get the same rooms. I suppose they could make the rooms near HH higher points, but can you imagine the uproar? Every time the "rebalance" the points charts people lose their minds.
Which goes back to the point that not every single room type and view can be balanced in the charts to offset demand. A BW view room at BWV is just going to be more popular than a garden view room, not to mention there are far fewer of them.

As I have shared, I have studied things and to be honest, with the exception of a few times in the year, every resort can be booked at 11 months in all room sizes (ignoring views).. The big exceptions have been the CCV studios during November/December and VGF studios during the beginning of December (which I don't think will be an issue due to the addition of resort studios).

I think what happened to the OP, and what we will continue to see is that when you wait to book, you need to be flexible and understand you may not be able to get what you want.

Last edited:
It sounds like it might simply be the glut of points that is impacting your trouble this year if you normally have no issues booking 6 months out. Use the waitlist and keep stalking the website. These days, things are changing up a lot and you may find it possible!

Unfortunately, things have changed over the years and I think people have been adjusting to booking farther out. I myself have noticed a huge shift in what I could get at 7 months just 5 years ago until now.
Has there been any speculation on when this glut of points could run out? Do we expect 2023 to still be this busy?

Has there been any speculation on when this glut of points could run out? Do we expect 2023 to still be this busy?

Most think that by 2023, the borrowing limitations should be lifted. But, I don't know if that will change things because right now, there are other factors in play that could be causing owners to bank points and not travel...economy being a big one...changes WDW has made being another one.

So, while many owners with excess points from 2020 and 2021 are using them up, I think we may continue to see this. I became an owner in 2009...and over time, the ability to book elsewhere at 7 months has gotten much more difficult.

And, because of that, more owners seem to be buying at resorts that they want to stay at and less trading is happening for the popular near park resorts.

Most think that by 2023, the borrowing limitations should be lifted. But, I don't know if that will change things because right now, there are other factors in play that could be causing owners to bank points and not travel...economy being a big one...changes WDW has made being another one.

So, while many owners with excess points from 2020 and 2021 are using them up, I think we may continue to see this. I became an owner in 2009...and over time, the ability to book elsewhere at 7 months has gotten much more difficult.

And, because of that, more owners seem to be buying at resorts that they want to stay at and less trading is happening for the popular near park resorts.
I just got my first contract and it makes me nervous to think that I may never be able to find anything at 6 months. Usually I won't be super specific but when I only have two in our party, I'd prefer a studio somewhere. Is that possible these days? Or are all studios gone by the 6 month mark?

I just got my first contract and it makes me nervous to think that I may never be able to find anything at 6 months. Usually I won't be super specific but when I only have two in our party, I'd prefer a studio somewhere. Is that possible these days? Or are all studios gone by the 6 month mark?

All depends on when you want to travel but DVC works better when you book farther out. Mid September to mid-January are the highest DVC demand times. People book their home resorts at 11 months and some studios and resort views are even walked. Traveling then could prove be difficult (like the OP found this year as it is Jersey Week which is very popular).

Summer? You should not have a problem finding something at 6 months out and may even have some resort options other than the big 3 of SSR, AKV, or OKW. Also will depend on how many nights you want too...getting a few nights is much easier than an entire week.

I have booked last minute trips before...3 to 4 months out...and found something, but I also was willing to split stay, waitlist, and stalk the website constantly. But, if the plan is to regularly not book anything until 6 months out and you want a studio, then there will be times it won't be easy. You may need to be extremely flexible with dates, etc. to make something happen.

All depends on when you want to travel but DVC works better when you book farther out. Mid September to mid-January are the highest DVC demand times. People book their home resorts at 11 months and some studios and resort views are even walked. Traveling then will be difficult (like the OP found this year).

Summer? You should not have a problem finding something at 6 months out and may even have some resort options other than the big 3 of SSR, AKV, or OKW. Also will depend on how many nights you want too...getting a few nights is much easier than an entire week.

I have booked last minute trips before...3 to 4 months out...and found something, but I also was willing to split stay, waitlist, and stalk the website constantly. But, if the plan is to regularly not book anything until 6 months out and you want a studio, then there will be times it won't be easy. You may need to be extremely flexible with dates, etc. to make something happen.
Is DVC hard to book during Spring Break like the regular bookings at Disney? Seems like summer isn't as bad either. Since I have a small child it seems like I'll be booking during the DVC off times for the most part??

Is DVC hard to book during Spring Break like the regular bookings at Disney? Seems like summer isn't as bad either. Since I have a small child it seems like I'll be booking during the DVC off times for the most part??

Depends on when your Spring break is. At 11 months, no, you should be able to get your home resort. At 6 months, all depends...I own at RIV and the SV studios for the April weeks for 2022 went right at 11 months...PV lasted a little longer, but were gone well before the 7 month mark hit.

But, Summer and the Spring are definitely less busy than the fall into the holidays, through marathon weekend in January....

Depends on when your Spring break is. At 11 months, no, you should be able to get your home resort. At 6 months, all depends...I own at RIV and the SV studios for the April weeks for 2022 went right at 11 months...PV lasted a little longer, but were gone well before the 7 month mark hit.

But, Summer and the Spring are definitely less busy than the fall into the holidays, through marathon weekend in January....
It's always in March. We went this past March and it was a madhouse and there were no rooms available....but that wasn't DVC. I do have a small Poly contract so I may be able to get in there at 11 months in the summer for a split stay.

Well, it’s true.
Saying DVC is rigged… it’s complicated. Can just as easily be said APs are rigged. It’s possible for both AP and DVC to be used where the consumer gets an advantage after ALL things are considered, and there’s dozens to consider in that equation. Disney runs the house. If the house wasn’t somehow winning overall they wouldn’t bother. DVC remains popular because enough people continue to do well using it.

Saying DVC is rigged… it’s complicated. Can just as easily be said APs are rigged. It’s possible for both AP and DVC to be used where the consumer gets an advantage after ALL things are considered, and there’s dozens to consider in that equation. Disney runs the house. If the house wasn’t somehow winning overall they wouldn’t bother. DVC remains popular because enough people continue to do well using it.
APs are much simpler. And much cheaper.

I have no problem with renting points. I am an owner and have rented some of mine out and rented from other owners. I am against renting reservations out if you made a reservation and can't go cancel it and rent out the points. The spec reservation renting is just plain wrong because that is only about making money and not with letting friends and family use points or renting so you don't lose points. DVC could also lower the threshold for what they consider commercial renters from 20 to 10.

I have no problem with renting points. I am an owner and have rented some of mine out and rented from other owners. I am against renting reservations out if you made a reservation and can't go cancel it and rent out the points. The spec reservation renting is just plain wrong because that is only about making money and not with letting friends and family use points or renting so you don't lose points. DVC could also lower the threshold for what they consider commercial renters from 20 to 10.
I thought about perhaps only being able to rent reservations that are within a certain window to avoid points going into holding. The problem with that is that spec renters would still book early but would only post them late. Or perhaps you say that rentals have to be offered at the going cost of renting onetime use points? That would disincentive people from doing spec rentals.

If you limit the number of reservations what happens if you go and book 2 rooms while you are there? I can see cases where some owners might visit more than once a year and would book multiple rooms for a family reunion. Maybe the restriction would have to be something like “x reservations when the owner is not present.”

I thought about perhaps only being able to rent reservations that are within a certain window to avoid points going into holding. The problem with that is that spec renters would still book early but would only post them late. Or perhaps you say that rentals have to be offered at the going cost of renting onetime use points? That would disincentive people from doing spec rentals.

If you limit the number of reservations what happens if you go and book 2 rooms while you are there? I can see cases where some owners might visit more than once a year and would book multiple rooms for a family reunion. Maybe the restriction would have to be something like “x reservations when the owner is not present.”

The thing is, any rules that are put in place must be in the definition of commercial renting because the POS clearly allows it for individuals.

I currently have a lot of reservations ..more than 10…between now and next year. None that are for renting. I book at 11 months what I think we might need because I never know who will be in the final group of travelers. Many are for the same dates too

I just don’t think with all the owners and points that renting is causing a big issue that limitations for owners not involved in commercial renting become restricted.

Spec renting could be stopped if every change to the lead guest was a "cancel and rebook". It could be limited to reservations made during the home resort priority booking period. To really be a deterrent, the waitlist process would need to be real time.

Of course, making that rule change would also impact members who need to make that sort of change & are not spec renting.

Pretty much every attempt to stop renting would result in unintended consequences / collateral damage. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter