DVC must stop rentals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think the system is fine as it is.

I think its great that I can rent if I need to. There will always be pro/cons of being able to, for me the pros outweighs the cons. If some are unable to get the type of rooms they want then they might just need to start walking or booking earlier.

We ALL have the same options and possibilities.

I have always been able to get what I want when I want it. Do I book early - Yes. Do I walk - Yes. Is it cumbersome that I need to - Yes. Do I care - No.

Regards

Pretty much every attempt to stop renting would result in unintended consequences / collateral damage. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
Yeah, this is the unfortunate truth. I know a lot of people told OP they need to learn to use DVC or sell if they aren’t happy, but I get where OP is coming from. I think a lot of the inadequacies of DVC have been magnified with the pandemic and when the system is operating near full capacity, things like waitlist being queued and not instant, walking, and spec renting, while they’ve always happened, are frustrating. If this is temporary and it’s due to a glut of points, it will pass, but if it isn’t they need to make some changes and walking needs to go the way of the dodo bird, waitlists need to be instant, and spec renting needs to be discouraged somehow, but as CarolMN pointed out I’m not sure how without hurting those of us who aren’t abusing the system.

Honestly I think the system is fine as it is.

I think its great that I can rent if I need to. There will always be pro/cons of being able to, for me the pros outweighs the cons. If some are unable to get the type of rooms they want then they might just need to start walking or booking earlier.

We ALL have the same options and possibilities.

I have always been able to get what I want when I want it. Do I book early - Yes. Do I walk - Yes. Is it cumbersome that I need to - Yes. Do I care - No.

Regards

I agree with you about renting, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t benefit from some changes that prevent people and brokers from making it a business. As for walking I wholeheartedly disagree. It’s a terrible practice that hurts the entire system. I don’t think people are bad for doing it, but it creates collateral damage. I don’t care that a few people run/jog at rope drop, I laugh at them, but if 80% of the people did it, it would ruin rope drop. That’s where walking is at now. It went from a few doing it to a lot, and those of us who just want to book normally pay the price.

Is DVC hard to book during Spring Break like the regular bookings at Disney? Seems like summer isn't as bad either. Since I have a small child it seems like I'll be booking during the DVC off times for the most part??
Depends on the resort. I tried to book a bcv studio for our march break 11-18 2023. The 12th was missing at 11 months minus 2 wks out.

I stalked it and grabbed it, before my waitlist could. As of now the 12th & 15th are not available…. There are no views at bcv so this is ALL studio availability.

Last edited:
Depends on the resort. I tried to book a bcv studio for our march break 11-18 2023. The 12th was missing at 11 months 2 wks out.

I stalked it and grabbed it, before my waitlist could. As of now the 12th & 15th are not available…. There are no views at bcv so this is ALL studio availability.
How are those days not available and it’s not 11 months yet?

I would love this if only to read the threads about it here
aocjx.jpg

Yeah, this is the unfortunate truth. I know a lot of people told OP they need to learn to use DVC or sell if they aren’t happy, but I get where OP is coming from. I think a lot of the inadequacies of DVC have been magnified with the pandemic and when the system is operating near full capacity, things like waitlist being queued and not instant, walking, and spec renting, while they’ve always happened, are frustrating. If this is temporary and it’s due to a glut of points, it will pass, but if it isn’t they need to make some changes and walking needs to go the way of the dodo bird, waitlists need to be instant, and spec renting needs to be discouraged somehow, but as CarolMN pointed out I’m not sure how without hurting those of us who aren’t abusing the system.
IMO, the frustration is based on the assumption that if spec renting wasn't permitted, the 'frustrated member' would be able to book what he/she was after. Sadly, that's not true for the overwhelming majority of those who are after that booking. There just aren't enough villas to satisfy the demand for certain times & certain booking categories. There will ALWAYS be members that end up disappointed.

As such, I pretty much agree with @Cyberc1978. Leave the system as is. Changes will hurt a different subset of members, and benefit only a few. The booking rules apply to all members and we all have the same opportunities to reserve the sought after villas.

The thing is, any rules that are put in place must be in the definition of commercial renting because the POS clearly allows it for individuals.

I currently have a lot of reservations ..more than 10…between now and next year. None that are for renting. I book at 11 months what I think we might need because I never know who will be in the final group of travelers. Many are for the same dates too

I just don’t think with all the owners and points that renting is causing a big issue that limitations for owners not involved in commercial renting become restricted.
I have an honest question - not trying to start an argument, but trying to understand your mindset here. Do you not see anything unfair about your reserving 10 rooms that you know you are not going to use? I understand you don’t plan to send to the rental pool, but you are still reserving rooms you have no intention to use. If a member cannot reserve his desired room at 7:05 on month 11 because you have reserved all 10 available (extreme example), do you not see anything wrong with that practice? This is not an attack - I understand you have bought and are entitled to the points, but you are blocking the person who can only afford one room from choosing a reservation he will use.

The booking rules apply to all members and we all have the same opportunities to reserve the sought after villas.

Exactly. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

No guarantee that what they wanted was there at the 7 month mark, but waiting until 6 months out then complaining...?

Where's the math in this thread? OP thinks that it's bookings for renting, but why? These are massive resorts. There are thousands of studios at WDW alone. What difference does a few dozen, heck even a few hundred rentals make?

The problem is the chart is not balanced. Studios are the the best values by a lot, and 1BR are overpriced. If the chart were balanced, they would book equally quickly. But even people who booked a 1BR might be looking to change over to the studio. It's just anyone who likes math and wants their points to go further, not those pesky renters.

Not being able to book at 7 months seems like a pretty obvious outcome of all the extra Covid points floating around and also the massive point infusion from Aulani. Of course it's going to be tight.

I have an honest question - not trying to start an argument, but trying to understand your mindset here. Do you not see anything unfair about your reserving 10 rooms that you know you are not going to use? I understand you don’t plan to send to the rental pool, but you are still reserving rooms you have no intention to use. If a member cannot reserve his desired room at 7:05 on month 11 because you have reserved all 10 available (extreme example), do you not see anything wrong with that practice? This is not an attack - I understand you have bought and are entitled to the points, but you are blocking the person who can only afford one room from choosing a reservation he will use.
I do this too. 2 nights at BC, 3 nights BLT, then I piece together the whole trip with what I can get. I often have a lot overlapping that I cancel later.

Great question and not seen as an attack in anyway. Let me first clarify...almost all of those trips will take place so some of those rooms will indeed be used, which currently span over 7 different trips. But some of those trips have different combinations of rooms for the same dates (studios and 1 bedrooms, studios and 2 bedrooms, etc.)

But, no, I do not feel bad for holding extra rooms until the traveling group is decided. It is why I bought so many points. If some of the trips end up being solo trips (like early December could end up being), I don't need the 2 bedrooms I have secured, but rather the studios I booked for the same dates. But, if the initial people and some of the new people who know I have rooms decide to go, then we are set.

I realize its not popular and until I know for sure I am very likely holding nights that will end up canceled down the road. However, all are booked with the intention that some type of trip will happen during the timeframe of the rooms that are booked.

It is why I think any attempt to consider having more than 10 reservations at one time over 12 months could hit an owner like me hardly when my reasons have nothing to do with renting my points.

Last edited:
The thing is, any rules that are put in place must be in the definition of commercial renting because the POS clearly allows it for individuals.

I currently have a lot of reservations ..more than 10…between now and next year. None that are for renting. I book at 11 months what I think we might need because I never know who will be in the final group of travelers. Many are for the same dates too

I just don’t think with all the owners and points that renting is causing a big issue that limitations for owners not involved in commercial renting become restricted.
I meant the limit should be on reservations without the owners name on it.

I meant the limit should be on reservations without the owners name on it.
I have plenty of rooms booked now without my name as I have trips planned starting tomorrow all the way through until next March. That is the point. I book a lot of trips over a year and many with family and friends. I almost always have more than 10 reservations at one time booked.

Now, since mine are not for renting, I certainly could always put my own name on every single one of them, which one wouldn't do with renters. Given the thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, of DVC stays every year, the % that could be rentals, is so small that there is simply no data to back up that becoming stricter will have any type of impact on owners bookings becoming easier, especially less than 7 months out, and has the potential to hurt more than it helps.

Great question and not seen as an attack in anyway. Let me first clarify...almost all of those trips will take place so some of those rooms will indeed be used, which currently span over 7 different trips. But some of those trips have different combinations of rooms for the same dates (studios and 1 bedrooms, studios and 2 bedrooms, etc.)

But, no, I do not feel bad for holding extra rooms until the traveling group is decided. It is why I bought so many points. If some of the trips end up being solo trips (like early December could end up being), I don't need the 2 bedrooms I have secured, but rather the studios I booked for the same dates. But, if the initial people and some of the new people who know I have rooms decide to go, then we are set.

I realize its not popular and until I know for sure I am very likely holding nights that will end up canceled down the road. However, all are booked with the intention that some type of trip will happen during the timeframe of the rooms that are booked.

It is why I think any attempt to consider having more than 10 reservations at one time over 12 months could hit an owner like me hardly when my reasons have nothing to do with renting my points.

I don't think Sandi said she had no intention to use. She is booking based on best available data at 11 months, cancels as data becomes clearer, and probably makes some waitlister's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter