DVC magic band is now Direct only

This is a very bad sign - they had to write code to block this on the website so that is a lot of trouble for just a magic band .. what is next Dooney stuff??
I can certainly think of a long list of other things those IT staff could have been working on!

Regardless it seems odd. The more people wearing the merch the better the advertising I would have thought???

This is like the AP magicband. We are not APs, but my daughter loves Remy and cooking in general so I was going to buy it for her. However, with our upcoming trip I wanted to get the discount. I was unable to buy the AP band with the discount for the very reason stated by OP.

I could have gone to ShopDisney and purchased full price, but I found another one she would like and with the discount.

Shouldn't we be glad that they are spending lots of time and money creating more online anti-resale-purchaser restrictions rather than on fixing all the real website problems that exist?

I dont think this takes a ton of time. Its likely a couple of people who have part of their job tied to member appreciation or incentives. They likely thought it was a good idea to design a new direct only magic band as a thank you to those who purchased direct.

Its not that crazy and doubtful its doing much regarding the time suck. If they didn't deliver this it was likely some other fluff piece.

I dont think this takes a ton of time. Its likely a couple of people who have part of their job tied to member appreciation or incentives. They likely thought it was a good idea to design a new direct only magic band as a thank you to those who purchased direct.

Its not that crazy and doubtful its doing much regarding the time suck. If they didn't deliver this it was likely some other fluff piece.
They did not design a new magic band - The time spent the thread is referring to is the time spent updating the code on the website to have the ability to restrict based on direct status.

That Magic band was on sale unrestricted for over a month until they decided to restrict it. They did not bother to make a new product. Just like most direct perks they put in as little effort as possible.

$45 a shot doesn’t say thank you to me. It says let’s find another way to get these folks to fork over some money by making it direct purchase only. They don’t mind paying to feel special.

I’ve owned direct for 20 years and I love my DVC… but it’s gotten to the point where everything just feels like a cash grab.

They did not design a new magic band - The time spent the thread is referring to is the time spent updating the code on the website to have the ability to restrict based on direct status.

That Magic band was on sale unrestricted for over a month until they decided to restrict it. They did not bother to make a new product. Just like most direct perks they put in as little effort as possible.

Which is likely non-related to the DVC site and their infrastructure team. So maybe thats why I am missing the point.

If we are going to complain about that then Disney+ needs to get massive negative vibes with how much time that takes up from an engineering and infrastructure standpoint.

Anybody able to use the Shop Disney 30% off with MAGIC on MB+? I tried but it only gave me the free shipping…

I wonder if the restriction is for pre-arrival bands too. I ordered mine through there last week. I think it was gone a few days ago, but it was there last week. I have blue card, but I don’t remember anything saying you had to have it. Maybe because I was already logged in. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Actually looks pretty good honestly.

But I like that you stick to your guns to hate anything that requires direct. :)
I actually like it too. I have 2 of the older ones and actually until I saw this one, wasn’t going to get a MB+. But I do agree this one is nice.

And they limit it to 10 items! I’d laugh but maybe there is a secondary market for these… to non direct owners maybe????!!

PizzaRizzo Christmas party and DVC Direct magic bands… boy it makes me feel so special being a blue card owner! Lol
Huge resale market. Check out ebay. We were given little plastic bands to place on our MB,,,cost prob 10cents...they are going for $30 plus on ebay...I have prob 25 of them,,,I should start selling them....lol.

coming soon the Disboards DVC direct-to-resale merch trading forum?

Someone in the DVC leadership pipeline is clearly not making their numbers and blaming whatever they can.

I think it would have been a nice option to maybe sell these types of things on-line only and just offer them to all DVC members and possibly only offer a discount for blue card so all DVC members can get them since they still are members. But I guess that gets into a whole can of worms with all of the resale restrictions and membership extras. I doubt if there is any money from direct DVC sales that is used for this Magicband.

Since most resale buyers apparently save, on average, about $75K on a 100 point VB contract (or so you would be led to believe by the endless posts decrying all of the foolish direct buyers and the folly of their purchase), it would seem that saving $2.00 on your 27th pair of Mickey ears or having access to (apparently) hideous Magic Bands would be of de minimis concern.

Making no reference to anyone specifically, it often strikes me as somewhat interesting that the huge resale savings enjoyed (and crowed about) by so many resale buyers seem to far outweigh the value of perks and discounts when mocking the hubris of direct buyers (or so we are told, repeatedly), right up until that particular perk or discount affects that particular resale buyer...

I qualify for a blue card-and have zero interest in this magicband-but I think this pattern of artificial scarcity to make things seem valuable that aren’t really is pretty sad. No real direct perks, so instead we will start restricting things that used to be available to all-and heck, we will restrict them to direct members AND charge for things that were free, like Top of the World access-and then like magic, people will want it! And direct members can feel Special!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter