drowning at Castaway Cay yesterday

They airlifted the gentleman today, so he was still alive when he left. His color was so much better than when they went by at noon. Apparently it was another drowning incident.. They had him bagged to help him breathe. His wife and child were put on the CG helicopter as well. From CMs I found out that his heart was beating fairly strongly but his breathing wasn't good, so they were airlifting him. The helicopter turned right toward Miami, so I'm guessing it went there instead of Nassau. Many thoughts out to him and his.

The Disney Cruising thread on that social site we can't comment about deleted my update about today twice and then deleted the thread. Sheesh.

Aside from the aforementioned politics, I'm glad the USCG was available & able to assist the family today. Hopefully they will continue to be able to do so in the future when needed.

Wishes for a speedy & complete recovery to the family today.

Prayers and sincerest condolences to the family yesterday.

So yesterday, am I understanding this, occurred at SB? Does anyone know about today? First thought was "Wow! How?" trying to think where. The family beaches are so protected & have lifeguards posted. But if the wind/seas/currents were up I could see SB having rip currents.

Everyone *does* know if you're caught in a current carrying you out to sea, don't try to swim against that, right? I was taught to swim parallel to the shore to get out of the current.

Aside from the aforementioned politics, I'm glad the USCG was available & able to assist the family today. Hopefully they will continue to be able to do so in the future when needed.

Wishes for a speedy & complete recovery to the family today.

Prayers and sincerest condolences to the family yesterday.

So yesterday, am I understanding this, occurred at SB? Does anyone know about today? First thought was "Wow! How?" trying to think where. The family beaches are so protected & have lifeguards posted. But if the wind/seas/currents were up I could see SB having rip currents.

Everyone *does* know if you're caught in a current carrying you out to sea, don't try to swim against that, right? I was taught to swim parallel to the shore to get out of the current.

Knowing it and actually doing it in the moment are two very different things though.

Just to clarify, a man from the Wonder did drown at CC on Thursday and then another man from the Fantasy was airlifted from CC today, am I correct? How tragic to have these two events within 24 hours.

Just to clarify, a man from the Wonder did drown at CC on Thursday and then another man from the Fantasy was airlifted from CC today, am I correct? How tragic to have these two events within 24 hours.

Correct. Two separate incidents.

I wasn't there, but what happened yesterday was a near drowning if the gentleman survived. The man from the Wonder drowned. We had a near drowning on the pool in the Fantasy in 4/13 before we left Port Canaveral. I didn't see it, but everyone heard about it and I couldn't stop thinking about the family and the little boy:(

I wasn't there, but what happened yesterday was a near drowning if the gentleman survived. The man from the Wonder drowned. We had a near drowning on the pool in the Fantasy in 4/13 before we left Port Canaveral. I didn't see it, but everyone heard about it and I couldn't stop thinking about the family and the little boy:(
Yes, the near drowning of poor little Chase. He's still recovering. Cant move much still, or speak I believe. They setup a public facebook page to give people updates.

image.jpg

Yesterday, Friday at CC. Scary, the person was revived. He was evacuated just before we left CC.

Wow...I really got upset reading this please everyone watch your families when you go out; talk them out of going far even if they think their michael phelps.

We just disembarked from the Fantasy and wanted to provide some insight. We were on the beach that was adjacent to the snorkeling area. One member of our party was snorkeling and the other was watching children close to the shore. Suddenly, whistles were blown and lifeguards were rushing to the rope that divides the snorkeling beach from the family beach. I saw them bring out a seemingly lifeless body and a woman (did not appear to be related) was carrying his legs. He was young and we found out later had a wife and 5 year old daughter. They immediately began working on him. This was around 11:30/11:45. People were crying and it was horrible. Many children didn't see because they were busy playing and parents did their best to keep them distracted. Apparently, his snorkel vest was tangled on something, which prevented him from raising his head. This was in pretty shallow water. The Coast Guard helicopter came around 4:45, which was quite some time after the incident occured. It was right outside of our balcony and although someone was holding an iv bag. We didn't observe any breathing aids at all during this entire transfer which lasted about 10-15 mins. From our vantage point, it appeared as if no one worked on him at all during this time. We were told he didn't make it, but truly hope this is not the case. This is a huge tragedy and I hope that more information is released about what exactly occurred so this will never happen again.

Last edited:
We just disembarked from the Fantasy and wanted to provide some insight.

I'm so sorry for all. I can't imagine how this tragedy impacts each person there. The grieving family, the passengers who witnessed, the children. So amazingly sad ....

We just disembarked from the Fantasy and wanted to provide some insight. We were on the beach that was adjacent to the snorkeling area. One member of our party was snorkeling and the other was watching children close to the shore. Suddenly, whistles were blown and lifeguards were rushing to the rope that divides the snorkeling beach from the family beach. I saw them bring out a seemingly lifeless body and a woman (did not appear to be related) was carrying his legs. He was young and we found out later had a wife and 5 year old daughter. They immediately began working on him. This was around 11:30/11:45. People were crying and it was horrible. Many children didn't see because they were busy playing and parents did their best to keep them distracted. Apparently, his snorkel vest was tangled on something, which prevented him from raising his head. This was in pretty shallow water. The Coast Guard helicopter came around 4:45, which was quite some time after the incident occured. It was right outside of our balcony and although someone was holding an iv bag, he was left by himself for a period of time. We didn't observe any breathing aids at all during this entire transfer which lasted about 10-15 mins. No one worked on him at all during this time. In fact, at one point the bag was on his chest and he was alone. We were told he didn't make it, but truly hope this is not the case. This is a huge tragedy and I hope that more information is released about what exactly occurred so this will never happen again.

I find it so hard to believe that Dinsey would leave a passenger laying alone on a gurney outside on dock. If God forbid he passed, he would have been brought back on the ship and brought to the morgue on board. I don't think the CG would have come to pick up a deceased passenger.

From our balcony it appeared that way, but maybe one person was with him and out of our line of vision. I truly wish this had not happened, but the whole thing was quite a tragedy and we did witness it all. From the moment he was pulled out of the water, the CMs worked feverishly to revive him. It took some time for the motorized vehicle to come to the beach and they never stopped. Once he was on the vehicle, they worked as the exited the beach area. Our server told us he saw them bringing him in trying to get him to breathe back on the ship when he was picking up his clothes. Again, I don't know the outcome for sure and we all hope for the best. My point in posting and sharing is to let people know to be very careful when snorkeling and wearing those vests. I do hope they institute a swim and snorkel buddy system.

Last edited:
We just disembarked from the Fantasy and wanted to provide some insight. We were on the beach that was adjacent to the snorkeling area. One member of our party was snorkeling and the other was watching children close to the shore. Suddenly, whistles were blown and lifeguards were rushing to the rope that divides the snorkeling beach from the family beach. I saw them bring out a seemingly lifeless body and a woman (did not appear to be related) was carrying his legs. He was young and we found out later had a wife and 5 year old daughter. They immediately began working on him. This was around 11:30/11:45. People were crying and it was horrible. Many children didn't see because they were busy playing and parents did their best to keep them distracted. Apparently, his snorkel vest was tangled on something, which prevented him from raising his head. This was in pretty shallow water. The Coast Guard helicopter came around 4:45, which was quite some time after the incident occured. It was right outside of our balcony and although someone was holding an iv bag. We didn't observe any breathing aids at all during this entire transfer which lasted about 10-15 mins. From our vantage point, it appeared as if no one worked on him at all during this time. We were told he didn't make it, but truly hope this is not the case. This is a huge tragedy and I hope that more information is released about what exactly occurred so this will never happen again.
So tragic and sad. Thank you for reporting this here. Just shows that no matter how careful one is accidents like this awful one can occur. Praying for all involved.

Oh man. It's hard to envision what the fellow couldve tangled up with. I do hate wearing the vests but I understand their purpose. The far side of the lagoon is a long way out there. I've gone all the way out easily with the wind blowing away from the shore. Swimming back in against the chop was a heckuva workout. Hubby & I (or hubby, sons, & I) snorkel together but it's really easy to lose sight of each other. You can't hear each other. Takes a few moments and I'm looking around trying to find them again. Poor hubby had a total panic attack trying to get my attention snorkeling at Grand Cayman. I was unknowingly swimming towards a barracuda about as long as I am tall.

Hopefully the fellow from yesterday makes it and recovers. God bless him.

I think we have reason to be hopeful that the man from the Fantasy on Friday survived. When the man from the Wonder passed away on Thursday, news outlets reported the death fairly quickly. It seems like they would have done the same had the man from Friday passed away also. Does anyone else feel this way?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter