Dream a Little Dream With Me - 4/3 Final two posts!!!! Hope to see you real soon!

Welcome to day TWO, and our official EMBARKATION day on the DREAM!:yay:

The title of this post has a lot to do with our arrival at the port, so when we get there you’ll understand why!

On Sunday am, I woke up early, showered, and headed over to the Contemporary to get “coffee” and breakfast burritos. (IF you have never eaten at the Contempo Café, I HIGHLY recommend it for QS food – their breakfast burritos are really yummy!) :thumbsup2 Here are some early morning photos. I know I am not the only DISer who loves early morning moments at the world …

DisneyCruise2011027.jpg

DisneyCruise2011029.jpg

DisneyCruise2011030.jpg

DisneyCruise2011031.jpg

I also loitered enough in the lobby of the shops to wait for their opening… Hey, why not! I nosed around for a few items (gift bags for the boys) and then headed back to the room – I must have missed these candy boxes in November, aren’t they cute!

DisneyCruise2011032.jpg

So we finished packing, and headed down to the Contemporary lobby to check out using our Disney Rewards points card. We had $250 on it originally, so with our $50.00 room credit, we still left with a little over $170 still on the card! This would be perfect to add to the OBC we got for this cruise, which was $100... Can you say Drinks on the Boat??!! :woohoo:

In the car, we stopped quick at Walgreens for some extra sunscreen. I had only brought 1 and a ½ cans… we almost went through an additional can of sun screen this trip. This was the spray… Be advised, you will want to pack extra! I was surprised we used that much, and it was only the 2 of us! I bought some stronger stuff for my face b/c I had left it at home, and another set of batteries. We were SET!

The drive was very quick, two tolls, and we were there. From the resort that am, it took less than an hour drive. Here are my first views as we came over the final hill to see the ship!

DisneyCruise2011035.jpg

Here is DH and my lame attempt to create a dramatic pose of a photo before he drove us off the bridge. :laughing:

DisneyCruise2011036.jpg

Sorry this one is so blury, but the camera wasn't setting itself properly.

DisneyCruise2011037.jpg

We arrived at exactly 10am. Okay, okay, give or take a few minutes/seconds! :laughing: The line to turn into the terminal was already forming with cars and shuttles. The plan was that DH would drop me off, and I would wait in line to get into the terminal, and he would return the car, and take the shuttle back. The line to get into the terminal was already passed the dropoff/pickup line and down the sidewalk at this point. Not too bad, but seriously??!! :eek: So he left me, and I stood in that line, never mind DH had to circle back to give me my passport.. OOPS. :headache: I didn't know if I would need it before he got back.. Long story short, I probably waited for about 30 minutes before the line moved, sorta like “rope drop” if you will, and then we started crawling along. DH returned the car and returned to the terminal by the time I had reached the check in point. They started with one line, then added another check-in line, which I think some people were surprised by, because they were not pulling from the same line. Another had formed on the right as well. I don’t know how that transition worked, but it would seem to me that you would have less of a wait if you “waited” for that second check-in… but I am not sure about that because this was my first cruise were I have ever HAD to wait in line!! :rotfl: ANOTHER note about that. Many people say don’t wait in line, don’t get to the terminal early, just wait until the rush and then you walk right on board. There is probably great truth in this. I just wanted to get an early boarding card, so we could at least get reservations at Palos. We HAD reservations for embarkation night, but were hoping to score brunch or another set of reservations later in the cruise, so I was hoping not to miss that. If you have the luxury of getting all your reservations ahead of time, I would totally not get there early, either!

So I let about three families pass me in line when DH showed up, and we walked right through and into the terminal where we went through security. Up the escalators and there at the first desk we presented our online registration forms, and they guided us to the Castaway Cay member line. This line was no longer than the other line, so we just went that way. As we passed that desk, they handed us a card. The Boarding Card. :scared: The # on the card decided when we would be allowed to get on the ship! That card read… DRUM roll please…. 9. NINE!!??!! NINE??!! YIKES!!!! :sad2: OH no! I was totally dismayed, because of course last cruise on the Wonder we had 4, and I of course thought this meant that our time to get onto the boat would be gravely delayed… So since there wasn’t anything I could do at that point, I didn’t think much else of it and we finished our check in at the counter, got our KTTW cards, or KTTD cards (Dream! :laughing:) and they took our pictures at the desk. I was at least happy to see that our rotation for dining was the one I wanted, with Animator’s first. That was a plus, and with the Navigator and our # 9 boarding card in hand, we headed over to find some seats.

MORE COMING UP NEXT!!!

While we waited, you couldn't miss a VERY long line for the check in at the Kids Club, in order to get the wristbands for the kids... Even though you can "book" this online, you still stand in this line to get the wristbands. These bands have some sort of beeper on them, not sure how they work. Guess I will have to read up on that myself! LOL! Apparently, it seems for this particular cruise there was a problem with the database, and so the line was unexpectedly and abnormally long (the system deleted everything or something like that I think I heard a CM say). Anyhow, we sat down, and took a look over the navigator. As we were waiting, I kept fretting about boarding group #9... DH then asked me how much larger the boat actually was. Well, I said, “it says 50% bigger in all the literature”… His reply was “maybe number 9 isn’t such a bad number after all.” And he walked over to the check in desks to see what number they were on. He came back to tell me they were handing out cards that said nineteen:scared1: OKAY, well, needless to say I felt better!!! Not that nineteen was a bad number, I guess, but for me hearing that we were not in the double digits made me feel a lot better!! Mind you this is my paranoia, and no one else's, and if they boarded as fast as they did all the way through I am sure nineteen was on the boat within 10 minutes after we were!

Since I had taken photos before, I didn’t take any photos in the terminal, but the terminal is nice. There is a great model of a cruise ship, Disney characters, and just a nice buzz of excitement. Sure enough at 11:50, they began boarding. By 12:15 we were being called. BY 12:30 we were taking our first step onto the boat!!!! :yay:

Here is a photo I took as we were going through the check point to get on the ship…

disney6.jpg

I know it isn't much, I just was very caught up in the first few moments as we transitioned onto the ship. As soon as we got onboard and they announced our arrival on board, we went to guest services to apply our Disney Visa gift card and confirm our OBC was there. This is when DH took my "Cinderella imposter" photo.. since the lobby was practically empty and Guest Services had NO line! While at GS, we also asked for a map, and they gave us a few kinds, including the Maiden Voyage color map. It is really a nice Map, definitely worth keeping, as it notes places of interest, etc. and is all in color.

Here is a photo of it:

DisneyCruise2011325.jpg

We then asked GS where we should go to get new reservations for Palos. In the navigator is seemed to suggest you called for the reservations, vs. show up to get them at the D Lounge (which is one of the lounges on board, and used to be the case on the other ships. It also was the case for everything else you wanted to do regarding dining on the Dream) but the fellow at guest services said they were booking reservations up at the restaurants proper. This was my SECOND panic moment this afternoon. Previously when I asked the CM inside the terminal, it was suggested that you could only call… That sounded completely wrong to me, and looking closely at the Navigator it did say 1:00 Palos. So We decided that we had to try out the actual restaurant, as he said, and so up the elevator we went, to the 11th deck. We took the Aft Elevator. That elevator puts you right in the middle of Cabanas, where we asked again, THEY said, “oh no, you have to go to D Lounge for that” – but when I suggested that I was told otherwise at GS, they checked. Sure enough the reservations were being taken AT Palos. This was a surprise to some of the CMs there at the restaurant, so be aware!

We went right up stairs and got there just after 1pm, just as they were setting up. We walked right into the restaurant and got TWO additional ressies! Dinner on Pirate night, AND a brunch! :yay: It is my hunch that most people either did go to D lounge, or called, because if three of the CMs we spoke to were not clear, there had to be some confusion. Regardless, by 1:15 we had our reservations done, and for the record, Remy’s ALSO was available, there were several openings… since the area was basically empty, we asked if we could see Remy’s… they immediately offered, and we were given a tour of the restaurant as well… here are a few of the photos I took, trying not to take up too much time for the CM who was nice enough to take us back to see the “Gustau” room!

DisneyCruise2011040.jpg

This is a painting that is looking in on Gustau’s kitchen… there is another fabulous painting that is the view from the movie where Remy is looking in on the kitchen from the roof, but I have that later on…

DisneyCruise2011041.jpg

DisneyCruise2011042.jpg

Still in our travel clothes, we took advantage of the pristine and very glamorous bathrooms next to these restaurants, and switched into our bathing suits. There was plenty of room to do so! We took a quick peek into the Meridian Bar (which we explore later) and then headed down to Cabanas for the lunch buffet. We ate a ton of great seafood, and some other yummy dishes, then made our way out on deck…

We went to the adult pool deck, up top, scored a few lounge chairs, and a Drink of the day, and that was all we needed until the safety drill!

Here is the view in front of me…

DisneyCruise2011044.jpg

Here is the view to my left…

IMG_20110220_132729.jpg

AND the view to my right…

IMG_20110220_132721.jpg

I know you are probably wondering WHERE everyone was! But I think most people went to their staterooms first, and most everyone was congregating around the main family pool areas. The adult area stayed relatively empty for a good hour and a half I would say. We also decided to try the AquaDuck at this point, because the line said 15 minutes. So off we went. I didn’t bring a camera for obvious reasons, but it was FUN, and a little chilly, but with such a short line we didn’t have a choice. I went once, to say I had, and DH went three times. I however, sat on my lounge chair enjoying my second drink of the day!

NOTE: If you want to ensure a ride on the Aqua Duck, I would tell you this would be the day to do it... the line was rather long most other days. We didn't try to ride it again. I can only guess that on a Castaway Cay day would also be a good idea, or late at night. It runs fairly late! :thumbsup2

Shortly around 3:30 we went down to our room. The deck had gotten more crowded, and DH wanted to see a movie at 4:30, so it made sense for us to go check out our room… besides we had the emergency drill as well!

We were in an interior room. We picked this category primarily because we were keeping costs down, and DH and I were by ourselves. We were also very curious about the virtual portal... I am so glad we did!!! :goodvibes

We were in a good location generally speaking. Here is our first glimpse of the room…

DisneyCruise2011045.jpg

You can see our Castaway Club Member gift on the bed (we and 1/2 the cruise had one of these bags!!! :rotfl: -- but they are very handy, and I am glad we now have 2...)

DisneyCruise2011046.jpg

DisneyCruise2011047.jpg

We were very excited to check out the new virtual portholes! I have a whole set of photos to share on another post. I will say the virtual porthole is really neat.

After the drill DH and I walked to the movie theater, and I took a quick photo... He wanted to see Tron 3D before dinner. He saw a few movies here, and he said the theater was really awesome, acoustics were great.

DisneyCruise2011048.jpg

I left him there, and I went back up to see the Sail Away party. Here are a few photos from that…

DisneyCruise2011055.jpg

DisneyCruise2011056.jpg

DisneyCruise2011057.jpg

DisneyCruise2011058.jpg

DisneyCruise2011059.jpg

DisneyCruise2011060.jpg

DisneyCruise2011061.jpg

As you can see from THESE photos we are NOT the only guests on this cruise!!!! There were far more people on deck, but it wasn't bad up top, it seemed much more crowded on the pool decks. I LOVE seeing the characters in their Nautical get up! So cute.. I especially love Daisy and Minnie!

When the boat's whistle blew (yes, "when you wish upon a star..." Somehow I prefer Jiminy Cricket!! LOL!) I enjoyed seeing us leave the port, but I also knew it was time to get down stairs and get ready for Palos!!!

Coming up later this week! Palo dinner #1 and an evening stroll around the ship!!

What a perfect prelude to your cruise, a day poolside, followed by drinks, a great meal, and capped off with Wishes!

SEE what you have to look forward to yourself in a few short months??!! :goodvibes

Looks like a wonderful start to your vacation! And you got a lot in for a travel day! I think we had that same great view from the CA Grill when we went in November...maybe the same table even. Glad your first day went so well. Can't wait to hear about the cruise!

Oh we did! It was a great start and fun, too. That was a lucky view for us, we agree! It was off in the left seating area, just near the bar at Cali Grill.

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous report. I will be going with my family (8 of us) to WDW and then on the Dream June 21st. Can't wait. :woohoo: In the meantime I will enjoy your report.

Aw thanks! Welcome! It is fun writing these, and this one especially so. I can't wait until June, either!!!! :yay:

WELCOME!

What a great first day!! I can't wait to try Bluezoo in May! Love your view at CG. Perfect!!!

BLUE ZOO is AWESOME!!! It was a perfect evening!

Okay, now I am all caught up (gotta love that I took today off for Chelsea's orthodontist appointment :goodvibes).

Oh I LOVE taking advantage of Dr. Appointments!! :laughing: Good for you!

You have cruises, as in plural, booked now? Alright, chicky, let's talk dates because I have a feeling after I read this trip report, I am going to want to take a Dream cruise even more. LOL!

YES, we do!!! Thanksgiving on the Magic, 7 night, and the SAME 4 night over President's day. We actually were going to book the same cat room, but can you believe it, the cat ABOVE the interior cabin, was actually LESS??!! I think after this summer, DH may be compelled to go again next summer, NOT sure, but I am curious to see.... ;) I can say you would totally love it as a family. And with older kids, you would really have a chance to enjoy all aspects!

Love the picture of you in front of the mosaic! Great picture!

Thanks! I don't quite have the hair or the blue dress, but it was fun sitting in that chair!!! :laughing:

I am with your DH -- I hate bumpy plane rides. Yick!

Score on the $50 credit just for seeing somebody else's suitcases. :lmao:

I KNOW it was practically that! I was really happy to get that credit, WHAT a surprise! It wasn't a big deal, and we didn't complain AT ALL, so that was a nice pixie dust moment on our first day!

Too funny about the nasty crab nachos pic! It can't look that bad! :laughing:

Maybe not too bad, but with the lighting they kinda look greenish... :laughing:

Muddled Raspberries -- when I first read that I wondered what would make them muddled, but then I saw your chandelier pic. :rotfl:

Cali and fireworks! Does it get any better? :goodvibes

You know how I tend to send my camera skyward after a few muddled anything... :lmao: But seriously that chandelier is AMAZING and the drink was divine. ;)

Hard to say what could have been better at that moment, I love Wishes :lovestruc

I'm joining in too. We are sailing the Dream on the 31st! I can't wait to hear all about it

Hi there! Welcome! Glad to have you along! :thumbsup2

Hey!!!!! :banana::woohoo::goodvibes
So glad I found your report!! Do you remember me!?? I have followed your trip reports before. We are doing a split stay in Feb - Disney and Dream! WITH the kids! I am so excited to hear all about the cruise!!!

HI there! SURE I remember you, QUEEN of Disney night Friday night celebrations!! How was your trip this past February??!! I thought you were going to be going -- looks like you have a link in your Signature? We are anxious to go on our first cruise with OUR boys, too. :thumbsup2

Can't wait for more!popcorn::

Hi ya! Just updated!

Welcome!!! :goodvibes

omg love it so far...
keep up the good work!!
:thumbsup2

Thanks! Glad you are here to have some fun before the cruise! :goodvibes

love the pics! howd you say the adult pool crowds were? i heard impossible to get a chair :confused3 does it really mean you have to be out there by 7 Am to get one?!

The Sail Away party looks like a blast! I don't think anyone from our group will be taking in a movie at that point, but isn't it nice that it's an option?

Looking forward to Palo! We get to try for our ressies on Saturday!

love the pics! howd you say the adult pool crowds were? i heard impossible to get a chair :confused3 does it really mean you have to be out there by 7 Am to get one?!

Well, on a few days it was crowded. I will share some photos later on in the TR to show you that! It was fine around 9 when were were out there.. the other pools probably are crowded earlier... But, we did stake our claim on two chairs because if we hadn't there wouldn't have been any...

The Sail Away party looks like a blast! I don't think anyone from our group will be taking in a movie at that point, but isn't it nice that it's an option?

Looking forward to Palo! We get to try for our ressies on Saturday!

:laughing: Oh he won't be next cruise, so really I just let him do what he wanted... the crowds around the pool deck were not to his liking, because he wasn't going to stand and stake out a spot (a la parades at WDW)... Next cruise we'll likely be right there front and center :laughing: But yes, the activities and things to do at all times of day and night are great!

Hope you can get them in advance, but if not, it seems they are available on the boat. :thumbsup2

So it looks like if we don't get the Palo reservations on Saturday, we should just go straight there when get aboard?

Oh you are definitely tempting me on trying a cruise. I can't get over how empty the pool area was... at least initially. Was it ever difficult to find chairs at the pool? I am loving this whole "drink of the day" concept. :rolleyes1 Can't wait to hear about Palo!

WOW.WOW.WOW. Your post has me both, so excited and VERY stressed! The ship looks beautiful! So, I am going to pick your brain a bit......we have never been on a Disney cruise before, do you suggest we get to the port early for our June cruise? I would like to try to book a Palo dinner ressie, can I do that before embarkation day? Can you sign the kids up for the clubs online? Even if I sign them up online, do I still have to register them at the port? I want to book a spa package as well, can I do this online too? Where do you suggest my family and I watch the sailaway party from? Does DCL send you info about all the documentation and forms you need for the cruise? Sorry for the crazy questions!!! Your day sounds INCREDIBLE so far and I love the inside stateroom, that is where we are booked! Thanks!:goodvibes

:wave2:
Thanks for sharing your TR! Reading it is getting me all geared up for the June DD!!!!! :woohoo:
Robin

Hi Happy Dog!

It has been a while (ever since my July trip) since I have posted on the boards! I just wasn't into it that much with no Disney trip planned---I know, I am a bad diser!

I can't wait to read all about your Dream cruise! We had originally planned to go on that cruise but decided to head elsewhere on vacation. We are now planning a 5 day cruise in April 2012 over spring break so I am anxious to hear about this one and the one this summer.

The sail away party looks like so much fun! I am anxious to hear your thoughts about the portal. It looks neat.

:surfweb:Can't wait for more!

Erika

Love the pics. My Sail Away party pics are from the opposite side!

Shh...we were in that really long line at 10 and got boarding #3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter