Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

In trip planning news.....apparently we are having guests again this October when we travel to Orlando (from the 14th to the 21st). I was chatting with Lisa this morning, and she and Joe are going to join us for an adults-only week: their kiddos are staying with Grandma and Grandpa and we'll be doing Universal, Volcano Bay and HHN as two couples. They are super excited and so are we! We have offered for them to stay with us at SVR in the guest bedroom so they won't incur any costs for accommodations (important for them when the Canadian dollar is still so low) and they also won't have to rent a car so that saves them $$ as well. It will be extra-special for Steve to have some time to spend with his brother now that we're living so far apart, so we were both delighted to hear that they will be able to come along. Now we're all just waiting for Universal to release the dates and prices for the RIP Tours and (hopefully) the Scareactor Dining Experience. Planning for autumn will be in full swing once we come home in May :goodvibes.

In trip planning news.....apparently we are having guests again this October when we travel to Orlando (from the 14th to the 21st). I was chatting with Lisa this morning, and she and Joe are going to join us for an adults-only week: their kiddos are staying with Grandma and Grandpa and we'll be doing Universal, Volcano Bay and HHN as two couples. They are super excited and so are we! We have offered for them to stay with us at SVR in the guest bedroom so they won't incur any costs for accommodations (important for them when the Canadian dollar is still so low) and they also won't have to rent a car so that saves them $$ as well. It will be extra-special for Steve to have some time to spend with his brother now that we're living so far apart, so we were both delighted to hear that they will be able to come along. Now we're all just waiting for Universal to release the dates and prices for the RIP Tours and (hopefully) the Scareactor Dining Experience. Planning for autumn will be in full swing once we come home in May :goodvibes.
Yay! I can't wait for the multi day tickets, Volcano Bay tickets for passholder, and Scareactor Dining too! I'm not sure if we'll do the dining again though.

Also reading your above comment about Thomas the Tank Engine reminds me of my brother. He loved Thomas as a kid and would've gone nuts for that! Too bad he's 19 now :rotfl:

I am one of those people who hates confrontation, so I generally just seethe internally but would never open my mouth. Sometime I wish I had the backbone to stand up and speak my mind a little more often.....but sadly, I never do. "Strong Woman" I am not
Sometimes it makes you a strong woman and the "bigger person" to know when it's best to just walk away!

GINA!!!! Our meet up may finally come to fruition!!!! We will be in Orlando, staying at Cabana Bay 10/17-10/21, attending MNSSHP on 10/17 and HHN 10/18, 19 & 20th! Hopefully our paths will cross!!

I'm always impressed with your pictures of the Vistana each time you show your condo, very nice, so spacious and comfy looking. How exciting for you to be heading back in October, we did HHN this past October and loved it, so fun! We won't be able to swing a trip this October so I will plan to be there in spirit by reading your great report!

That villa is bigger and nicer than my apartment! Granted I will be getting a new kitchen in a few months (which means Skittles gets to stay with her aunty for a week). I need to just move in there!

And yes, one day we will have to meet, and another day I'll have to meet the kittens! We live so close now too :)

Yay! I can't wait for the multi day tickets, Volcano Bay tickets for passholder, and Scareactor Dining too! I'm not sure if we'll do the dining again though.

Also reading your above comment about Thomas the Tank Engine reminds me of my brother. He loved Thomas as a kid and would've gone nuts for that! Too bad he's 19 now :rotfl:

I have been trying to remember when Universal released the HHN tour dates and prices in past years, but we haven't been since 2015 and I can't for the life of me recall at what point we booked the RIP and Scareactor dining. Summer, maybe? I know its still early but I'm still anxious for the pricing. Rumour has it that admission to Volcano Bay will be offered to current Preferred and Premier passmembers until their renewal date, which would be AMAZING if that's the case.....both Steve and I have Preferred AP's, so that would be a great savings for October. I would bet that one-day admission will be somewhere between $65 and $75 per person, if not more.

Sometimes it makes you a strong woman and the "bigger person" to know when it's best to just walk away!

GINA!!!! Our meet up may finally come to fruition!!!! We will be in Orlando, staying at Cabana Bay 10/17-10/21, attending MNSSHP on 10/17 and HHN 10/18, 19 & 20th! Hopefully our paths will cross!!

Shut the front door!!!!!!! We will absolutely make a point of meeting up to say hello!

I'm always impressed with your pictures of the Vistana each time you show your condo, very nice, so spacious and comfy looking. How exciting for you to be heading back in October, we did HHN this past October and loved it, so fun! We won't be able to swing a trip this October so I will plan to be there in spirit by reading your great report!

Fall is one of our favourite times to visit Orlando: the special events during the Halloween season are just so much fun. We never did make it to Oktoberfest in Celebration this past year (as we had hoped to), so with a little luck, we might get that opportunity in 2017.

The Vistana has been consistently awesome on every one of our stays. And parking is always plentiful......a nice change after our frustrations at Cypress Palms.

Thanks. I haven't driven much past Crossroads. haha Duncan would probably be afraid of the train. lol!!

Oh, Duncan!! :rotfl: There goes my Thomas date!!

That villa is bigger and nicer than my apartment! Granted I will be getting a new kitchen in a few months (which means Skittles gets to stay with her aunty for a week). I need to just move in there!

And yes, one day we will have to meet, and another day I'll have to meet the kittens! We live so close now too :)

We always joke that if we ever win the lottery, we're just going to buy another 50 Vistana weeks.....we could be VERY comfortable there on a permanent basis :teeth:. Except, of course, that they don't allow pets........that would be problem because there's no way I'd be giving up my babies :cat: :cat:.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new kitchen!! Poor Skittles is going to miss her momma, though. I hope your sister doesn't live too far away so you can visit her while the work is being carried out.

I have been trying to remember when Universal released the HHN tour dates and prices in past years, but we haven't been since 2015 and I can't for the life of me recall at what point we booked the RIP and Scareactor dining. Summer, maybe? I know its still early but I'm still anxious for the pricing. Rumour has it that admission to Volcano Bay will be offered to current Preferred and Premier passmembers until their renewal date, which would be AMAZING if that's the case.....both Steve and I have Preferred AP's, so that would be a great savings for October. I would bet that one-day admission will be somewhere between $65 and $75 per person, if not more.

Last year we were able to book it starting in June I think. They released the single day tickets really early this year so maybe it'll be sooner though.

That would be amazing! We also have preferred passes. I kind of think they'll be closer to $100 :eek: since they are basically considering it another "theme park".

Last year we were able to book it starting in June I think. They released the single day tickets really early this year so maybe it'll be sooner though.

That would be amazing! We also have preferred passes. I kind of think they'll be closer to $100 :eek: since they are basically considering it another "theme park".

It will be interesting to see what kind of price point they place on Volcano Bay admission. While I expect that they will be higher priced than the Disney waterparks and Aquatica, I think Universal will be pushing a lot of people's financial limits if they creep too close to the $100 mark. But hey.....I've been wrong before!!

Friday, October 21st (the conclusion)

By the time we found the motivation to leave the villa and go off in search of dinner, timing was not on our side: we must have hit that magic hour where most folks had left the parks and also gone in search of mealtime sustenance. Since we weren’t particularly fussy as to where we dined on that particular night, we thought we’d just try some of our favourites that were close to the resort: everywhere we stopped, however, had an hour or more wait for a table. Olive Garden, Longhorns, and even TGI Fridays were all packed full with a large crowd spilling out the door. We just weren’t feeling like hanging around for that long, so after striking out on multiple attempts, we returned to the car to ponder our options. We considered ordering a pizza and taking it back to the villa, or just grabbing something quick at the Vistana’s Tacky Tiki Bar & Grill, but for reasons unknown (after all, we had eaten at both on prior trips and had great experiences at each restaurant) neither of those really appealed to either of us……we just wanted to eat and head back to the resort for a long soak in the Fountains hot tubs. Driving up International Drive, Steve eventually wheeled us into the parking lot here:

14947489_10155156512701416_1313469971743533761_n.jpg

It was a good choice :thumbsup2. We were guaranteed that we would each find something we liked to eat, and there’s virtually never a wait for a table.

The worst part of Golden Corral is never the food: its generally the chaos generated by the other guests (why is it that people feel it’s okay to be so LOUD when dining here? :confused:). Lucky for us, the only rowdy group seated near to us was just paying their bill as we were being seated, so by the time we were ready to eat, they were (mercifully) walking out the door. We were able to enjoy our evening meal in relative peace :cloud9:.

Everything we sampled was hot and fresh: there were no complaints from either of us. Steve particularly enjoyed the cooked-to-order steak and corn on the cob:

14947753_10155156512481416_6927091491404495555_n.jpg

My favourites are their warm yeast rolls (seriously, I could make a meal on those light and fluffy darlings all on their own :worship:), the meatloaf, and the bourbon chicken.

14915665_10155156512491416_5864927041536661625_n.jpg

Of course, we also had to had a few treats from their dessert buffet ;). I made myself a caramel sundae with peanuts and added a fresh brownie on the side:

14955791_10155156512501416_8975443578933911240_n.jpg

Steve was a bit more adventurous and obviously had a little more stomach room left than me :rolleyes: ….. so he helped himself to a large plate and sampled a little peach cobbler, some chocolate cake, a small piece of chocolate pie, and a cookie (for good measure). Variety is the spice of life, right? :p

14938210_10155156512771416_2146423670490118970_n.jpg

While not an elegant dinner out by any stretch, it was filling and affordable and we both left satisfied. Back at the resort, we changed into our swimsuits and headed straight to the hot tub: and that’s where we stayed until it was time to hit the sack. We met up with a great group of folks there which made for some engaging conversation (evenings in the hot tub allow us to make the acquaintance of some of the nicest people at SVR!) but our early start the following morning at Discovery Cove meant we couldn’t have too late of a night.

The first of our two days at Discovery Cove is coming up next :sunny:.

14937335_10155153366686416_7834670663349961988_n.jpg

Saturday, October 22nd

The temperature had dropped like a stone overnight, and it was noticeably crisp when we headed outside just after 7:30 am to wait at the Fountains security gate for our Uber driver. Had we been heading to one of the theme parks for the day, we would have been thrilled with the sharp adjustment to the cool weather, but it was going to be mighty chilly at Discovery Cove…..at least for the early morning hours .

We had decided to Uber over that day so that we could both enjoy an adult beverage or two without the worry of having to drive. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and all beverage (both alcoholic and non) are all included with your admission to Discovery Cove, as are parking, sunscreen, towels, wetsuits, snorkels, and even a 6 x 8 printed family photograph. We intended to take full advantage of all those wonderful inclusions :drinking1. Our days at DC were some of the most-anticipated park days of our trip.

Once we were comfortably inside our Uber car (which took under 10 minutes to arrive), we texted Lisa and Joe to let them know we were on our way. They, too, had reservations at Discovery Cove on that day so we weren’t sure if they were there just yet or still readying the kids at the villa. Turns out we were a bit more efficient than their crew…..not surprising when they had three kids and all their swim gear to assemble…..but they assured us they would be leaving Cypress Palms very soon and would meet up with us eventually. Our driver dropped us off at the front door of the Welcome Center, and headed inside to check in. It was not quite 8 o’clock, so we were right on time :thumbsup2.

14915569_10155153366701416_8424760102348979377_n.jpg

We did not book dolphin swims for either of us this trip: rather, we decided to do two day resort visits ($99 each, per day, with our passholder discount) versus one dolphin swim day at $169 per person. We have swam with the dolphins at Discovery Cove three times on previous visits, so it wasn’t something we felt compelled to do again on this trip. We’d rather go for quantity and double our opportunity for a day in tropical luxury .

14938256_10155153345606416_5831610335692275159_n.jpg

As we waited in line for the next available check-in attendant, we were excited to see an Animal Ambassador out and greeting guests: a gentle sloth was patiently allowing visitors to pet her while a Discovery Cove staff answered questions about her very unique friend. [Useless fact: a sloth’s hair is surprisingly coarse].

14925338_10155153345111416_7132095416439414889_n.jpg

Our “mug shots” were taken and we received our guest cards and park maps on lanyards, which we would wear around our necks for the balance of the day. Once the initial ‘housekeeping’ was complete, we were then ushered down the pathway to the park photographers who were taking pictures of each family group for the complimentary 6 x 8 photo print that was provided as part of admission. Those pictures would be available for pick-up later in the day at the Adventure Photo kiosk near the front of the park.

14925294_10155153348026416_8391352591465748989_n.jpg

A little further down the pathway, guides were waiting to stop incoming guests in small groups and explain where to find notable park areas (the Laguna Grill, dolphin swim cabanas, wet suit and snorkel pick-up stations, washrooms, etc.) and remind guests that the water attractions didn’t open until 9 am. From there, while many folks opted to proceed straight to the wetsuit and swim vest pick up, we decided to enjoy breakfast first…..especially when it was still so cold out.

14962708_10155153345661416_1488312666874529366_n.jpg

Breakfast at Discovery Cove consists of your standard morning fare, items both hot and cold. Cereals, yogurts, assorted pastries, and fruits are in abundance as well as bacon, sausage, eggs, breakfast potatoes, and French toast sticks. Milk, juice, coffee, tea and sodas are all offered as beverages (and I can’t believe how many people drink Coke with their morning meal :sick:…..not even I, with my sweet tooth, can drink pop that early in the day).

14925364_10155153345636416_8452015994820708834_n.jpg

We found ourselves a quiet table and kicked back to enjoy breakfast in the fresh morning air.

14962516_10155153345986416_5868770626560989215_n.jpg

The French Toast sticks are always a favourite, and their bacon was cooked perfectly for me (nice and crispy). The mini muffins were also pretty yummy. The rest was perfectly fine but largely unremarkable. Neither Steve nor I were a huge fan of their scrambled eggs, but otherwise, we had no complaints about breakfast. We had read on many other reports of the food quality declining at DC in recent months, but we did not find that to be the case so far.

After breakfast, it was time to get suited up in our swimwear, obtain vests or wet suits, and stow our belongings in a locker. The water areas would be opening any minute and we didn't want to waste a second of our day.

More Discovery Cove is next .

I stumbled on your trip report yesterday and am almost finished reading it through. I think I only one one or two more updates to get to. At least there is still one week left to this wonderful trip. I remember reading your trip report last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back to reading but wanted to say a quick hello. :wave:

That sloth...:lovestruc:lovestruc If it's the same one that has previously been at Discovery Cove, his name is Lucky. SeaWorld has a beautiful sloth named Mila, and 2 years ago, my sloth-obsessed DD had an AMAZING encounter with Mila and her trainer, Corey. We got a personal visit with Mila, and it was truly one of the highlights of my child's life. I still tear up when I think about it. I would love to take her to DC for a visit and a dolphin swim someday (I don't think my son or hubby are very interested, though. Girls' trip! :flower1:)

Ah, we still haven't made it to Discovery Cove. Someday. We love Golden Coral, mostly because the kids have plenty of choices. Duncan usually does end up just eating the yeast rolls for his meal. IF we're lucky and they have pancakes, he'll eat those too.

Of course, we also had to had a few treats from their dessert buffet ;).

We have a Golden Corral near us that we go to quite a bit. Just an FYI, they don't like it when you bend over into the chocolate fountain and try to just take a big drink! :rolleyes1

not even I, with my sweet tooth, can drink pop that early in the day).

For me, Diet Coke is like my morning coffee. You don't want to be anywhere near me until I've had my pop.

Mhmmm Golden Corral! They just closed the one by me. I'll have to go for Brunch at another sometime!

Sadly my sister lives 45 minutes away, so it'll be hard to visit the skits. I hope it falls on a good day where I can pick her up quickly.

I stumbled on your trip report yesterday and am almost finished reading it through. I think I only one one or two more updates to get to. At least there is still one week left to this wonderful trip. I remember reading your trip report last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Back to reading but wanted to say a quick hello. :wave:

Aw, thank you! :blush: Glad to have you reading along and joining in! :goodvibes

That sloth...:lovestruc:lovestruc If it's the same one that has previously been at Discovery Cove, his name is Lucky. SeaWorld has a beautiful sloth named Mila, and 2 years ago, my sloth-obsessed DD had an AMAZING encounter with Mila and her trainer, Corey. We got a personal visit with Mila, and it was truly one of the highlights of my child's life. I still tear up when I think about it. I would love to take her to DC for a visit and a dolphin swim someday (I don't think my son or hubby are very interested, though. Girls' trip! :flower1:)

DC would be an AMAZING park for a girls trip! I hope you both get to visit there someday....it really is so very special.

I'm also super impressed that you know the SW and DC sloths by name :thumbsup2. I was so mesmerized by the way his hair felt (I don't know why, but for some reason I expected him to be soft?), I never even thought to ask intelligent questions like his name :o.

Hopefully the temperature increases :goodvibes can't wait to see what the young ones make of it.

Murphy's Law of vacations: your coldest day WILL be the one you have set aside for the pool or a water park.

Ah, we still haven't made it to Discovery Cove. Someday. We love Golden Coral, mostly because the kids have plenty of choices. Duncan usually does end up just eating the yeast rolls for his meal. IF we're lucky and they have pancakes, he'll eat those too.

Yes, you guys will have to try and squeeze it in someday if you can ::yes::. It's such a special experience. And no big rides to freak out Duncan! ;)

Please tell me that young man of yours also enjoys something from the chocolate fountain after his yeast rolls. Or maybe something from the sundae bar?

We have a Golden Corral near us that we go to quite a bit. Just an FYI, they don't like it when you bend over into the chocolate fountain and try to just take a big drink! :rolleyes1

For me, Diet Coke is like my morning coffee. You don't want to be anywhere near me until I've had my pop.

Oh Ruthie......I literally just busted out laughing at your chocolate fountain warning :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:. All I have to say is this: You go, girl! :laughing:

I suppose Coke in the morning is just as logical as coffee....caffeine is caffeine, right? I think its the bubbly-ness of soda that I find so strange that early in the morning. Too much activity in the mouth until my taste buds are awake :p.

Mhmmm Golden Corral! They just closed the one by me. I'll have to go for Brunch at another sometime!

Sadly my sister lives 45 minutes away, so it'll be hard to visit the skits. I hope it falls on a good day where I can pick her up quickly.

There's one about 15 minutes from our home here in MI.....we went to it for the first time last weekend. That's another Orlando staple that we'll likely never return to now that there's one in our new neighbourhood.

You're going to have to Facetime with that wee little lady of yours while she's enjoying her time at Aunty's house. She'll likely be as happy to see you as you will be to see her!

DC would be an AMAZING park for a girls trip! I hope you both get to visit there someday....it really is so very special.

I'm also super impressed that you know the SW and DC sloths by name :thumbsup2. I was so mesmerized by the way his hair felt (I don't know why, but for some reason I expected him to be soft?), I never even thought to ask intelligent questions like his name :o.

I found out about Lucky on the DIS boards, funny enough! When my DD first became interested in all things sloths, I did a lot of research about where to see them in person. There are several cute YouTube videos about Mila and Corey, so we actually recognized Corey when we saw her in the Sea Garden. My daughter had on her sloth shirt (of course), so she and Corey really hit it off, hence the awesome meet and greet with Mila. I do remember her coarse hair. Sloths are extremely interesting creatures. My young sloth expert wants you to know that Lucky is a Linnaeus's two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus), while Mila is a Hoffmann's two-toed sloth (Choloepus hoffmanni) ;)

Discovery cove is a favorite of mine...so relaxing. We have only been twice hope to go in a few years when the boys get bigger :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter