"Double Dip Delight" Alternate Western 09/27/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All--as per usual lately, I am sooooo very far behind on the thread ( I do read, but having time to respond--well it just ain't happinin' these days:rotfl: ) So here I go trying to catch up again (and missing lots I am sure).

Michael: I am not sure what type of advice you are lookign for about Santa. The concept itself is so prevalent in movies, books, etc I think many people (us included) never really explained it to a kid, they just picked up the idea through osmosis and then the appearance of gifts from Santa confirmed this as "real." Oddly, even though David's family is originally from Iowa and mine from Texas, we both grew up handling Christmas gifts the same way, so it was easy to decide how to handle them with our kids. Here is what we do:

All gifts from family, friends, etc are wrapped, labled and under the tree from whenever they arrive at the hosue. We always open all of these on Christmas Eve after church and dinner out. This is a long, slow process because we only open one gift at a time so everyone sees what everyone is getting. But, we really enjoy this mellow time. We are genrally in our jammies, the tree lights are on (why we like doing it on Christmas Eve--the lights are sooo much prettier), we sip hot cider and cocoa, etc. We set up all the new loot on the kitchen counter (and the floor around it if there are big things) and set up cookies and milk (and carrots for the reindeer) on the coffee table before putting the kids to bed. After they are asleep we set up the Santa gifts. In our house Santa always brings only one gift per child--but it is something really "showy" or that they really, really want. It is never wrapped. Instead it is all set up in front of the now presentless tree, so they see what it is as soon as they walk into the room. This is great when the kids want something that requires lots of assembly and it can be hard for them to wait while it is assembled. Some of the gifts over the years have been things like The Bitty Twins (in their stroller) from American Girl, a trap drum set, a smurf village (all set up with mushroom houses and smurfs walking here and there), a playmobile Egyptian set (again all set up with the people in poses, etc.), etc. This year it is actaully one thing for both kids. It will be a karaoke set. To make it more visually awesome "under" the tree we are getting mike stands and will have them up with the mikes and a few karaoke-G CDs laid out in front, etc. Santa also fillls stockings (Santa could LEAVE the stocking the first time he visits). Genreally sometime after breakfast (we have cookies and fruit for breakfast this one time a year) the novelty of the big gifts wears off enough for them to remember their stockings and they dig thorugh those (yep, David and I get stockings too!). Anyway, that is how it works at OUR house. I am always amazed at the variety of ways it happens. I hope you find something which works well for you--I am sure you will:thumbsup2 By the way, Rio will be 9 this Christmas and Marika 11 the day after. Rio still totally believes in Santa. Marika has started to ask about it a few times this year (actually over the summer-not recently) but always stopped herself mid sentences and said never mind and walked away. So, I guess she really knows, but she just doesn't want to know yet which is okay with me too.

Brandie--Too funny with your shopping for Jeremy:rotfl2: a catapult:lmao: We did see the rock star set at Best Buy this weekend--I have to say it looked fun:rolleyes1

Erik--I guess Wicked better make it's way into Rio's stocking:scared1: I love him too much to risk losing him to you on a permanent basis! Now, if you and Jason want to borrow him for a week or two. . . :laughing:

Kimberly--I made buck-eyes for poker night this weekend. They were a BIG hit. And I only ate 5. Thinking pink, thinking pink:angel: And yes, Marika is a fancy cheese fiend:lmao: ask Erik about snagging plates full of the stuff from Palos and bringing them to her at dinner in the dining room (with NO olives:rotfl: ). That is one of the many reasons she :love: him so! I still have to find time to get to that shop and buy those certificates without her in tow.

Crissi and RKandMJsMommy--Congrats on scoring those tickets:woohoo:

Erika--Yep, it is frustrating having not enough ideas to get the kids this year (and we only get them one thing each from us for Christmas and B-days--plus Santa gift--but grandparetns also buy and they just don't want much), but I am mostly thrilled they are not "gimmee" kind of kids. They both genuinely like to get clothes (IF they suit their styles), books etc. I don't know what we did right (I think we just got lucky). Actually this year, they will have 2 gifts frmo us under the Christmas tree. We are totally cheapskates most of the year (how we afford DCL) and do no splurge on little things much. SO, mostly to be funny--but they will really like it, I got Rio 6 pack of IBC Cream Soda and Marika a 6 pack of the Root Beer and wrapped those up;) Then again, if I can't think of anything else, maybe they'll just get those:rotfl2:

Hello to everyone else I have not responded directly to. I enjoy reading EVRYONE'S posts.

Hadley, that is exactly how I grew up with Christmas, as well as my parents! Sounds like you are describing our home! We were from Minnesota. DHs family from California was much different - everything on Christmas morning, one big "free for all." Gifts from Santa were wrapped, with a "from Santa" tag on them. We have compromised with ours, but did open most gifts on Christmas morning, as it was much more important to DH than to me - he said, Christmas eve was not Christmas! :goodvibes

O I will take lots of pictures. We are also going to the Candlelight Processional the night before great way to start our vacation.

We are very familiar with Laurel "in slower lower DE" we have a mobile home in PotNets in the Millsboure area. We are heading down tomorrow to close up until the spring. Hopefully, the snow they are predicting for tomorrow night won't come to far south. :eek:

It's funny but I check the weather down there more than I do here in PA. just to see how much better it is and wish I was already retired and there for good.:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Hi All :wave:

We leave Friday !!! :woohoo: :cool1: :banana: :yay:

We are staying at our house Friday night, DCL Sat - Sat :thumbsup2 then again at our house til Sunday.. Our flight leaves Orlando at 9:45 pm so we won't be home til after midnight.. We are meeting DH's Aunt & Uncle for lunch Sunday before we fly back to NJ.. And I'm trying to convince him we need to go to MVMCP on the Saturday we return to Port :santa:

Hi All :wave:

We leave Friday !!! :woohoo: :cool1: :banana: :yay:

We are staying at our house Friday night, DCL Sat - Sat :thumbsup2 then again at our house til Sunday.. Our flight leaves Orlando at 9:45 pm so we won't be home til after midnight.. We are meeting DH's Aunt & Uncle for lunch Sunday before we fly back to NJ.. And I'm trying to convince him we need to go to MVMCP on the Saturday we return to Port :santa:

Hi Stacy. MVMCP is only Friday and Sunday.
Aunt Michele

We leave tomorrow for the world, 5 night at BCV also doing MVMCP

Have fun pfishgirl

I am officially home less.:eek:

At least for the next 3 days. I just closed on the sale of my house yesterday and gave the keys to the new owners last night. I am totally exhausted. We spent the past 2 weekends boxing and putting things in storage. But there was still a bunch of stuff to pack after yesterday's closing.

Now we are crashing at my sisters place until the close of my new house later this week. Then I get to have the pleasure of cleaning the new house, moving stuff from storage and unpacking. Some where in there I have to buy presents for Christmas and prepare for our two week trip to Houston.:santa: :headache:

emsip, oh my goodness! That's a lot of things going on at one time!!! Congrats on the sell and the new home though!! :banana:

For all of you heading out to the World and your cruise, have a great time! I can't believe that's here already!! I'm sure YOU can't believe it!!

Hadley, we are to get our first real official snowfall tonight!! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes They are saying we will get 1" - 3". I'm SOO excited!!!
I'm so proud that you made those buckeyes for the poker party!! I'm sure they were indeed a hit! I might be making some myself in the next couple of weekends! Congrats on the restraint you exercised, too! :rotfl:

Crissi and Denise, you and the girls will be SO coveted!! Congrats!!! I am amazed you were able to get some tickets to Hanna Montana!!

Heather, thank you so much for sharing your holiday photos! It looked like it was a wonderful time for family to be together and work together. Great memories being created there! How is the house hunting going, btw?

Finally, I'm so happy to report all my Christmas shopping was finished last week, and it's all 85% wrapped!! I do have some crafty things to make yet, but that won't be too time consuming. Oh...and I need to orde my fruit cake from Collin Street Bakery. I LOVE that cake from the heart of Texas!

Hope you're all having a good week so far!

A bit of a high minimum, but some of you may eat this up with some gifts for the family.

I received an email today for free shipping & handling for orders of $75*. Enter code SHIP07.

* Free Economy or Standard shipping for purchases of $75 or more, excluding shipping charges and applicable sales tax. Delivery address must be within the United States. All orders will be Economy shipping unless, the order is not eligible for Economy shipping (e.g., order exceeds Economy weight restrictions). Coupon code must be entered at check out. Promotion ends on December 5, 2007, at 11:59 p.m. (PST).

I'm so proud that you made those buckeyes for the poker party!! I'm sure they were indeed a hit! I might be making some myself in the next couple of weekends! Congrats on the restraint you exercised, too! :rotfl:

Crissi and Denise, you and the girls will be SO coveted!! Congrats!!! I am amazed you were able to get some tickets to Hanna Montana!!

Hi Kimberly,

Can you PM me your recipe for the Buckeyes? I would love to add them to my cookie trays for christmas..........I made 5 kinds so far, probably another 6or 7 kinds to go...........

I think Denise and I are more excited than our DDs! There was definitely some pixie dust involved......you know what they say...dreams come true (usually not for me though)!

Talk to you soon,
Crissi

In case others may want a recipe for their holiday gatherings, I'll go ahead and post 2 recipes here.

First is this one....

buckeyes3.jpg

Secondly, the recipe I typically pull out (and double ;) )...

1 lb. powdered suger
8 oz peanut butter
1/2 cup margarine
1 tsp. vanilla

1 lb. milk chocolate chips
Spoonfull of vegetable shortening

• Mix all ingredients except chocolate and shortening until the dough is smooth and pliable. (If it's too dry, add more PB and/or margarine. If it's too soft, add more powdered sugar.)
  • Roll peanut butter dough into balls, and flatten slightly for the top to have an anotomically correct buckeye nut shape.
  • Melt chocolate, preferably on double boiler (use microwave with extreme caution as the chocolate easily burns in the microwave).
  • Add a spoonful of shortening to the chocolate, which will help its appearance as it will dry more glossy and it will make it softer to eat.
  • Dip balls into choclate with toothpick or a candy dipper tool, covering all but the top of the buckeye ball.
    [For the non-perfectionists or those who want to cheat with the kids, just spoon chocolate over the ball (or put the chocolate in a squeeze bottle) and let dry. Then when you lift them up, the bottom will show the peanut butter to represent the top of the nut.]
  • Let it set to dry before storing in an airtight container.

ENJOY!!

Tammie: Funny (and neat) that your family had the same holiday traditions. We move a lot and so many things are regional (playing 42 in the South and Euchre in the midwest or drinking coke in the south, pop in the midwest and soda in New England, etc.) but how Christmas is handled seems to have evolved some other way. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why some families do one thing and others another (it is as random as DCL upgrades:lmao: ). I'm sorry you had to compromise. As a teen every guy I dated had different traditions and I figured one day I would have to compromise too. How lucky was I that THE guy had the same traditions?! Anyway, I could give up opneing gifts on Christmas Eve if I had to, but wrapping Santa gifts would just be too much for me:rotfl:

Michael, sorry about being homeless--but I bet you'll be really happy once you are setteld into your new home. It could be worse. We have been homeless (living in hotels--no where near family) three times waiting to get into homes. The longest was for 3 months:eek: and the shortest was 5 weeks. I always consider it a good thing that the first house sold:banana: I think you will really DESERVE that two week trip to Houston by the time you handle a move over the holidays (that I have never done--you poor thing)

Kimberly and Chrissi: I add a cup and a half of rice krispies to my buck-eyes. Add them after everything else is well blended and mix by hand. I had them like that once and had never gone back. The people at poker night were surprised but loved them that way. It is something to consider trying some day. Other than that I have a half cup of butter, one and a half cups peanutbutter, 6 cups powdered sugar and some vanilla (I don't measure probably a teaspoon or so). I dip them in the chocolate chips/criso mix like Kimberly does.:love:

Erik: Santa picked up the Wicked soundtrack for Rio's stocking yesterday--so you can take me off your naughty list;)

To all of you happy travelers: HAVE A GREAT TRIP. I am jealous.

I am so excited today. A few months ago New Hampshire law changed to allow civil unions of same sex couples. These can start on January 1. Last night, our friends from the theatre group (a couple of over 5 years) asked if they could have their wedding at our house on New Year's Eve. They have the paperwork now and someone willing to perform the cermony then and they want to be one of the very first at 12:01 a.m. Our house is not really pretty for a wedding (my aunt hosts 5-10 a year in her gorgeous Southern house with sweeping staircase, etc), but is big enough to hold the 30-40 guests they want and is available New Years Eve (and free). Wow, I am so honored that they would want to be married here. We all four are. It is a huge deal to me on two levels. One, I get to share this wonderful personal moment with my friends (and even help make it for them by providing a venue) and two in a small way our family gets to be a part of a very important civil rights milestone. So now thrown into the three birthdays and Christmas at our house in the next 30 days will also be one wedding. Hmm this is starting to sound like a movie "Three Birthdays and a Wedding." :rotfl2:

I am so excited today. A few months ago New Hampshire law changed to allow civil unions of same sex couples. These can start on January 1. Last night, our friends from the theatre group (a couple of over 5 years) asked if they could have their wedding at our house on New Year's Eve. They have the paperwork now and someone willing to perform the cermony then and they want to be one of the very first at 12:01 a.m. Our house is not really pretty for a wedding (my aunt hosts 5-10 a year in her gorgeous Southern house with sweeping staircase, etc), but is big enough to hold the 30-40 guests they want and is available New Years Eve (and free). Wow, I am so honored that they would want to be married here. We all four are. It is a huge deal to me on two levels. One, I get to share this wonderful personal moment with my friends (and even help make it for them by providing a venue) and two in a small way our family gets to be a part of a very important civil rights milestone. So now thrown into the three birthdays and Christmas at our house in the next 30 days will also be one wedding. Hmm this is starting to sound like a movie "Three Birthdays and a Wedding." :rotfl2:

Your friends are very blessed to have you in their lives. We am still illegal in our home and Missouri made a law against same sex civil unions. Yet Janet and I have been a happy couple for over 20 years. I hope and pray that the winds of change will blow and the fear will lessen. What two people choose to do behind closed door is really between them. Well, we all know I could go on forever but I won't. I am just happy that God placed Janet in my life and that I have her love and support in my life. I would be lost without her.

Hope everyone is having a good week and a wonderful holiday, Lois

Kimberly.....It always happens to me. Either nothing is happening or everything is happening at once. The original plan was to close in early November so that we would be fully moved in before our trip. But that would make my life to easy and the powers that be had other plans in mind.

Hadley....I don't know if I could handle living in a hotel for that long. Unless of course it's at a DVC resort :thumbsup2 . We actually thought about staying at a hotel instead of my sister's, but it would have cost too much. NYC hotel prices are crazy:crazy2: .

Hadley: That's WONDERFUL that you can assist in that way! :thumbsup2 I wish you lots of :wizard: for the celebration and a ton of happiness for the couple!

Brandie

Anyone here planning on doing the 9/12/09 to tortola? :confused3 DH & I have a "hold" on a room and when we get on the Magic on Saturday, we will be putting a Deposit down.. :rolleyes1

Anyone here planning on doing the 9/12/09 to tortola? :confused3 DH & I have a "hold" on a room and when we get on the Magic on Saturday, we will be putting a Deposit down.. :rolleyes1

Yes, we booked it! We have three upcoming cruises and that makes me very happy! Me and my DH Grumpy John will be doing this cruise and that one as well!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I try to read a little bit on this thread, but mostly I post on my May 08 cruise thread....we're on page 2530.....we tend to get a little chatty at times. If I tried to do three threads at the same time, for each of the cruises that I'm booked on, I would get very confused. So I lurk on here from time to time and will jump in full guns after my May cruise.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

:cutie: :cutie: :cutie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter