Don’t Trade Those Disney Monorail Pins?

WDWKOOK

NOW WITH LESS TAG!
Don’t trade those Disney monorail pins?

A MOM AND THE MOUSE, KRISTIN FORD —
BY KRISTIN FORD ON OCTOBER 23, 2009 AT 6:00 AM

Last week, Disney World announced it would be retiring the pink and purple monorail colors, out of respect for the families and employees affected by the tragic crash of the two trains in July. When I heard the official announcement – many had assumed Disney would take this step – I was reminded of a conversation with a Magic Kingdom cast member about a month ago.

My son had acquired a cast-member-issued pink monorail pin and my daughter has the purple version of the same pin. We were advised not to trade them as the Disney employee suspected they would become more valuable if the trains were indeed retired. That was an unlikely event, though, as both declared the pins their favorites. Still, we put them away for safe-keeping to see if they do increase in value.

So far, the pins are still available on eBay and the prices don’t appear to be increasing much, though a few are advertised as “retired.” It would seem likely that these pins will be treated similarly to ones released as part of “Limited Edition” collections. If a serious collector is looking for it, he will buy it, but cast member likely won’t be trading them at the resort. For my kids, though, choosing pins is based on which images they like, not how much they are worth, thankfully

Don't believe everything that you hear about increased value/rarity of pins especially coming from CMs. I remember trading for every Food Rocks/Alien Encounter pin on a tip from a CM and ended up putting them back on lanyards when their trade value never moved. I really doubt these pins will be any more sought after than any of the other colors.

I have both of these pins in my meager collection of about 30 pins. I would never think of trading them. My 4 year old enjoys playing with them, smashing one into the other and screaming "Clean up on isle 4, Cleaning Lady!" or "Do you want fries with that Mr Head of Disney Transportation?" :scared1: But I digress...

Actually, no I don't have both. I do have the green one, and it sits in my closet on my DIS lanyard. But I figured we could all have a demented laugh since it so close to Halloween and all.:lmao:

Yes it's a tragedy for the families and the parks and all the rest, so no flaming please. :teacher: I'll still ride the monorail as my exclusive choice between the TTC and the MK. (the reason I got a few of the Mono Pins in June of 08)

YMMV
Rob R:littleangel:

PS: Enjoy my smilies.

Don't believe everything that you hear about increased value/rarity of pins especially coming from CMs. I remember trading for every Food Rocks/Alien Encounter pin on a tip from a CM and ended up putting them back on lanyards when their trade value never moved. I really doubt these pins will be any more sought after than any of the other colors.

This whole pin trading thing, and for that matter, the whole pin thing in general has gotten w-a-a-ay out of hand. Years ago, before they got people "hooked" on pin collecting, they had pins for each resort, available only at that particular resort, plus one for each country in WS at Epcot, again, available only at that pavilion...and that was it! Perhaps those may have some value some day. These days, they make a trillion of each pin. {sounds like the defecit} and they are available everywhere on Disney property. And I seriously doubt there are any pins that are worth a whole lot. It is just another way Disney makes a ton of $$$$$. Don't forget, China-made pins cost Disney pennies, and they sell them for $8 and up. There is where the real value is..................for Disney.

Hey Mitros (Debbie Downer), when is the last time you had anything positive to say? Nobody is forcing you to buy pins.

Our family's trip souvenier is always 1 lanyard with various pins on it. Included are usually the resort we stayed at, some attractions that were special, and maybe even a dining location. Two trips ago, we rode monorail purple; so that pin is on that lanyard.

As far as collecting pins goes, I only collect because the token is a reminder of something that brought me or my family pleasure. My limited exposure to "professional" pin-trading has only been negative. I prefer to keep my relaxed vacations and my competitive investing seperate from each other.

No offense but IMO, PINS=Beanie babies.

Great if you collect and trade them for what they are, but the "professional" side of it makes me sick.

Like MainStreetFireman, my daughter and I fill up on lanyard with our favorite pins on each vacation. I don't worry about how expensive they'll be later because that's not why we're purchasing or trading the pins.

Some she'll trade because it's fun to find some of her favorite characters that are no longer in the stores. But most of our pins are because it's a certain location, character.

Don't misunderstand me, when I say value I'm talking about trade value not cash value.

Hi Friends! My daughters and I have accumulated some monorail pins and also have the Unauthorized Mouse Pin Trading Guide book. I see in the book that there are a handful of different monorail series and we are trying to figure out which ones we have (the photos are black and white). They look like the ones in the below photo found online, but the site that had this photo didn't tell the details as to what series they are from. Just curious if anyone can name that series? ;-) Thank You!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uz9kfYqLmQ0/TSx78JlSzBI/AAAAAAAAAJM/ZYwp9FDOSb0/s1600/mon865434SMALL.jpg

Hi Friends! My daughters and I have accumulated some monorail pins and also have the Unauthorized Mouse Pin Trading Guide book. I see in the book that there are a handful of different monorail series and we are trying to figure out which ones we have (the photos are black and white). They look like the ones in the below photo found online, but the site that had this photo didn't tell the details as to what series they are from. Just curious if anyone can name that series? ;-) Thank You!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uz9kfYqLmQ0/TSx78JlSzBI/AAAAAAAAAJM/ZYwp9FDOSb0/s1600/mon865434SMALL.jpg

I believe these may be part of a Disneyland "Mark" monorail series. Not sure what that name refers to, as I'm not a pin expert, but hope that helps.

They have always had a tael it has been off for a while with mechanical issues

Replying to a post from the past is kind of like traveling in time and giving out spoilers... :)

Monorail Teal is relatively new. It debuted in 2009, after the post in question. It was the one rebuilt from the undamaged ends of Pink and Purple.

Replying to a post from the past is kind of like traveling in time and giving out spoilers... :)

Monorail Teal is relatively new. It debuted in 2009, after the post in question. It was the one rebuilt from the undamaged ends of Pink and Purple.

You mean we don't have rules about necroposting? Weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter