Do you miss Michael Eisner?

Eisner succeeded by failing miserably at permanently killing the animation department. He tried to kill it himself, but he got pushback. So he said Fine, I'll let a Disney handle it. His thought was that it would fail regardless and with a Disney in charge when it bombed, Eisner could say, "See I was right, even with a Disney in charge, it was doomed"

So, Roy gets the credit, not Eisner.

How could anyone forget what Eisner gave to the Disney decade. Parks, hotels, affordable vacations, a great Sunday Disney show amongst other things. He may not have been perfect but Igor and Chapek have driven out many of its loyal customers and The Disney Expeirence is no longer the same.

No. Just like Bob Iger, he started out good and then went down hill from there.

Bob Chapek on the other hand started off pretty bad, so perhaps he’ll get better. If he follows the same trend as his to predecessors we’re all in a heap of trouble.

It's interesting how two people can walk away with different views. I think when he was with Wells, it went well (no pun intended). But after Wells death, he lost site of what was important (my view).
or he never had sight for anything but money, and that sadly continues. Just you wait to see what we are headed for.

Interesting compares, considering the lengthy legacies (good or bad) of Eisner and Iger to Chapek's two years at the helm of which was mostly dominated by a complete parks shutdown and recovery from a pandemic - No doubt some decisions have been less than desirable from an experience perspective - but seems like apples to oranges given what cards were dealt - funnily even Eisner was quoted back in January as saying he liked both Bob's :)

Interesting compares, considering the lengthy legacies (good or bad) of Eisner and Iger to Chapek's two years at the helm of which was mostly dominated by a complete parks shutdown and recovery from a pandemic - No doubt some decisions have been less than desirable from an experience perspective - but seems like apples to oranges given what cards were dealt - funnily even Eisner was quoted back in January as saying he liked both Bob's :)

People tend to forget what shape The Walt Disney Company was in when Eisner and Wells took over. Disney's animation and live action business was circling the drain, the company was under constant threat of being bought out or sold for parts by activist shareholders, EPCOT was an over budget failure, inflation and interest rates were soaring, the company had amassed massive debt, etc. The first many years wasn't all roses for Eisner & Wells either.

Then after 9/11, Eisner had to contend with 2-3 years of the threat of terrorism, reduced travel and an economic recession. WDW in 2002 and 2003 was a ghost town compared to now.

Chapek's challenges are comparable, but the company was in a much better position in 2020 than 1984.

I want someone, knowledgable, to really sit down and interview Eisner before he's unable to participate. He owns so much Disney stock, he's afraid to really say much. But it would be interesting to hear from him on WDW specifically. He put so much effort and the company's money into utilizing the Florida property.

Charlie Rose's interviews with him over the years are on YouTube. It's fascinating listening to him talk about building out World, the resorts, architecture and watching him go from excited in the early 90's for the parks and disappointed and frustrated with them in the early 2000's. Disney+? Eisner started that project back in the early 2000's.

Michael Eisner was by no means a perfect CEO. He was shrewd, vindictive, cunning, but creative, willing to take risks and powerful. As fans of Walt Disney World, we owe him a lot.

Under his leadership (and with a lot of help from Wells, Nunis, Katzenberg, etc.), Walt Disney World really did become the vacation kingdom of the world.

People tend to forget what shape The Walt Disney Company was in when Eisner and Wells took over. Disney's animation and live action business was circling the drain, the company was under constant threat of being bought out or sold for parts by activist shareholders, EPCOT was an over budget failure, inflation and interest rates were soaring, the company had amassed massive debt, etc. The first many years wasn't all roses for Eisner & Wells either.

Then after 9/11, Eisner had to contend with 2-3 years of the threat of terrorism, reduced travel and an economic recession. WDW in 2002 and 2003 was a ghost town compared to now.

Chapek's challenges are comparable, but the company was in a much better position in 2020 than 1984.

I want someone, knowledgable, to really sit down and interview Eisner before he's unable to participate. He owns so much Disney stock, he's afraid to really say much. But it would be interesting to hear from him on WDW specifically. He put so much effort and the company's money into utilizing the Florida property.

Charlie Rose's interviews with him over the years are on YouTube. It's fascinating listening to him talk about building out World, the resorts, architecture and watching him go from excited in the early 90's for the parks and disappointed and frustrated with them in the early 2000's. Disney+? Eisner started that project back in the early 2000's.

Michael Eisner was by no means a perfect CEO. He was shrewd, vindictive, cunning, but creative, willing to take risks and powerful. As fans of Walt Disney World, we owe him a lot.

Under his leadership (and with a lot of help from Wells, Nunis, Katzenberg, etc.), Walt Disney World really did become the vacation kingdom of the world.
You raise really good points, and well worth consideration as a contribution to the dialogue. I really do appreciate thoughtful discussion these days!

Going back to my original comments, the "Bob's" had far more time to deal with the challenges that they had been dealt (as you rightly point out) with the benefit of analysis over time. Whereas Chapek is still dealing with now in the real time recovery from of an unprecedented shutdown (Parks and Studios), furloughing of employees, subsequent supply chain issues, competitive labor market in staffing back up, and revenge travel - Its arguable I suppose how different the company is from 30 years ago as well.

None of this is to say that Chapek had it worse or better - or that he is making it better or worse - its just different. My observation in suggesting an apples to oranges comparison doesn't discount that Eisner overcame difficult challenges as well- but we are looking back through a lens of a completed entire body of work and tenure as CEO spanning years - to be fair. Not really trying to convince anyone of anything to be honest - just sharing a different perspective.

How could anyone forget what Eisner gave to the Disney decade. Parks, hotels, affordable vacations, a great Sunday Disney show amongst other things. He may not have been perfect but Igor and Chapek have driven out many of its loyal customers and The Disney Expeirence is no longer the same.
Affordable vacations, not so much. I'm not sure what the rules on linking are, but if you search YouTube for Disney Ticket Price History, you'll find a fascinating deep dive into historical pricing converted into today's dollars. Pre-Eisner, a one day ticket accounting for inflation would be around $40. The insane price jumps started in his early years and then hit the stratosphere with the introduction of Magic Your Way and beyond.

I just think it's funny that so many blame Chapek for something Iger set up. Iger set up Chapek to fail and then ran. Never forget the Iger was the one that screwed up the ticketing for the parks. He started the ridiculous nickel and diming for everything. He always put the CA park ahead of FL and on and on. Sure Iger bought a lot of franchises but that also set Disney up to have a monopoly that I bet will be broken up at some not too far point in the future.

Affordable vacations, not so much. I'm not sure what the rules on linking are, but if you search YouTube for Disney Ticket Price History, you'll find a fascinating deep dive into historical pricing converted into today's dollars. Pre-Eisner, a one day ticket accounting for inflation would be around $40. The insane price jumps started in his early years and then hit the stratosphere with the introduction of Magic Your Way and beyond.
I just purchased 7 day park hopper tickets from Undercover Tourist For our December vacation. Each ticket cost $687.00. I went back into my order history and in 2008 I purchased a 7 day park hopper ticket for $260.00 per ticket. I also purchased the meal plan at $37.99 which included appetizer, entree, dessert and tips. Since 1989 when my children were old enough to enjoy WDW, we began our Disney vacations, usually at Christmas time. We split stay at Widerness lodge and Beach Club. In 2007 our family grew and extra hotels were not feasible. We then purchased DVC. By 2015 we started to see an upswing on the cost of a Disney vacation and it has been skyrocketing ever since. Eisner gave us two new parks and plenty of new hotels With modest price increases. Other than a few new rides, what has the Disney guest received in the past 22 years to warrant such increases. I wish that someone could post a history of ticket increases to compare the Eisner/Iger/Chapek but also room rate increases as well as everything else related to a Disney vacation. I’m Just not seeing Eisner as being In the same boat as the CEO’s that came after him when it comes to price increases

Last edited:
Yeah, I think of Eisner as making a Disney vacation LESS affordable.

I just purchased 7 day park hopper tickets from Undercover Tourist For our December vacation. Each ticket cost $687.00. I went back into my order history and in 2008 I purchased a 7 day park hopper ticket for $260.00 per ticket. I also purchased the meal plan at $37.99 which included appetizer, entree, dessert and tips. Since 1989 when my children were old enough to enjoy WDW, we began our Disney vacations, usually at Christmas time. We split stay at Widerness lodge and Beach Club. In 2007 our family grew and extra hotels were not feasible. We then purchased DVC. By 2015 we started to see an upswing on the cost of a Disney vacation and it has been skyrocketing ever since. Eisner gave us two new parks and plenty of new hotels With modest price increases. Other than a few new rides, what has the Disney guest received in the past 22 years to warrant such increases. I wish that someone could post a history of ticket increases to compare the Eisner/Iger/Chapek but also room rate increases as well as everything else related to a Disney vacation. I’m Just not seeing Eisner as being In the same boat as the CEO’s that came after him when it comes to price increases
And in 1989, when you started going, I can't find a 7 day park hopper. But a 5 day park hopper was $112. https://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/tix/89-5day.jpg Going back further, in 1983, the year before Eisner took charge, a 6 day world passport was $60. Adjusted for inflation, the 1989 5 day would be $260 today. The 1983 6 day would be $173 today. And your 7 day from 2008 would be $347 today. I'm not at all saying that Iger and Chapek didn't implement insanely stupid price hikes. I'm just saying that Eisner started it.

I actually have a lot of respect for Eisner and I respect your memories and fondness for those times ... but in doing a quick search - (and I suppose there are various data sources out there) ... single ticket prices from 1985 - 2005 were increased ~20 times (sometimes multiple times in the same year) .... So I don't know. Its not to say I am a super fan of the "Bob's" - but its one-sided to suggest Eisner never tried to make a buck either.

I actually have a lot of respect for Eisner and I respect your memories and fondness for those times ... but in doing a quick search - (and I suppose there are various data sources out there) ... single ticket prices from 1985 - 2005 were increased ~20 times (sometimes multiple times in the same year) .... So I don't know. Its not to say I am a super fan of the "Bob's" - but its one-sided to suggest Eisner never tried to make a buck either.
All is good. I understand your reasoning. My point was that what Eisner did to justify his price increase was by stopping a hostile takeover, gave us two theme parks to spread out the park goers, built plenty of hotels from standard, moderate and deluxe. This all costs massive investment and he recouped that by raising ticket prices. He also had to steer Disney through the 9/11 period. If both Bobs had given us those improvements I would be happy. I watched the video on price increases on you tube and it was a shocker

All is good. I understand your reasoning. My point was that what Eisner did to justify his price increase was by stopping a hostile takeover, gave us two theme parks to spread out the park goers, built plenty of hotels from standard, moderate and deluxe. This all costs massive investment and he recouped that by raising ticket prices. He also had to steer Disney through the 9/11 period. If both Bobs had given us those improvements I would be happy. I watched the video on price increases on you tube and it was a shocker
Its all good and I don't like where things may go from here either - I am a new DVC member myself, and my mind wanders to some dark days ahead for Disney if they don't get back to point on value and the magic we both remember. Otherwise, this becomes a big old money-sink for the foreseeable future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter