Do You Hunt?

rastahomie

Registered
I live in a HUGE hunting area - rural southeast Missouri, where you can't walk outside without tripping over a deer. Every last man, woman, and child here is all about deer huntin' (and also rabbit, squirrel, dove, pheasant, wild turkey, etc.) - including my wife's side of the family.

I, however, don't hunt. Nothing against it, I just a) can't stand the taste of wild game* and won't kill animals for sport, and b) have no desire to get up at zero-dark-thirty to traipse around in the woods in 20-degree temperatures, then wait for hours on end and be perfectly still the whole time. Screw that. I'd rather play World of Warcraft, thankyouverymuch.

*Everybody tells me that wild game is delicious if prepared right. But these are the same people who keep feeding me deer they've shot, and every time it still tastes like I'm eating a shoe.

I'm with you. Wild meat tastes wild, no matter what you do to it. Plus, I have no desire to kill anything. Yes, I realize the meat I eat was killed by someone, but it wasn't me and I didn't have to watch.

No, and like other posters I have no issue if people hunt for food. Its the killing of an animal for sport that I just don't understand.
I will also say that I have recently discovered that plenty of hunters have ZERO regard for posted signs on other people's property. I will never respect those kind of hunters, ever.

I live in a big hunting area too. I personally don't hunt. my husband does when he gets a chance too. I have absolutely no problem with it....as long as you eat what you kill! I dislike the taste of venison but I love wild hog!!! On a side note--I am VERY tired of seeing camo everthing :) It is everywhere here and on everything:):)

I live in a big hunting area too. I personally don't hunt. my husband does when he gets a chance too. I have absolutely no problem with it....as long as you eat what you kill! I dislike the taste of venison but I love wild hog!!! On a side note--I am VERY tired of seeing camo everthing :) It is everywhere here and on everything:):)

Half the churches in this town have preachers dressed in camo behind the pulpit!

No, because I absolutely can't and never will understand the ability to derive pleasure out of killing living creatures. I totally get that it's something that needs to be done in a lot of circumstances (population control, food, etc.), but it is a necessary evil that, to me, should be treated as such. Not excited happy fun time. People treat hunting season like they're going to Disneyland and it just boggles my mind. Sorry to all you hunters out there.

Not personally but I have personally benefited from others choosing to hunt! Um. Don't care for the taste of it, but honestly I don't think I would have much room to fuss if the circumstances were that I COULDN'T afford to buy commercially-raised meat. I'd sooner cut meat out of my diet and go wild for legumes and pulses, rather than be responsible for killing an animal.

Yes, just deer these days but have also hunted for raccoon, coyote, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, and (unsuccessfully) for elk.

Not my thing and I have little in common with those who do hunt. That said, my son-in-law is a hunter (deer) and I must say the chili he makes with the venison is very good. He also has some of the venison made into a sort of summer sausage that's pretty tasty.

Not my thing and I have little in common with those who do hunt. That said, my son-in-law is a hunter (deer) and I must say the chili he makes with the venison is very good. He also has some of the venison made into a sort of summer sausage that's pretty tasty.

The Sommer Sausage is very popular here. Everyone who claims to hate game meat still goes nuts for the sausage. It's generally 50% pork though.

No. I live about 10 miles south of Boston. I don't know a single person who hunts. I don't think it's really a thing around here.

There are other legitimate reasons for hunting besides filling the freezer. I come from a place where predators were a real threat to livestock and even sometimes personal safety and over-populated game such as deer, elk and moose could decimate a garden or significantly damage grazing land or cultivated crops. Exterminating them was a routine part of farming. (And legal, I might add.)

TBH, I'd be tempted to take a bb gun to the squirrels that dig up my tulip and lily bulbs if it was permitted in the city. I now settle for the hose, which doesn't work very well as a permanent deterrent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter