Do you have, or have you, a gun/guns in your home?

Do you have, or have you, a gun/guns in your home?

• Yes, I have a gun/guns

• Yes, I did, but not anymore

• No, I would never want any in my home

• No, but I might one day

• other, add any comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a number of airsoft guns, but no proper rifles or anything.

Rich::

I will never have one in my house, and I do not knowingly go into houses where there are guns or befriend people who own them.

You have to right to your choice and opinion so I am not criticizing but how would you know? Do you ask when you meet people?

My husband is a detective ::cop:, so he has a few handguns that are at our house, of course trigger locked and locked in a safe when he's not wearing it . Before the law changed, he had a few shotguns at home as well. However, once the laws changed regarding how they were stored, these were moved to his locker at the station as we really didn't want a huge gun safe. (Funny story--one of the first times he brought me to his house when we were dating, he said, "Hey, wanna see my gun collection. It's upstairs in my bedroom." I was thinking, oh my, how many times has he used this line on someone to get them upstairs. Believe it or not, though, it wasn't a line and he really wanted to show my his gun collection. He didn't even kiss me!!) We started teaching our girls from the get-go that only police daddies (and mommies) carry guns. (And bad people!) They go to daycare at another detective's house and he has guns as well.

I will never have one in my house, and I do not knowingly go into houses where there are guns or befriend people who own them.

If we lived by this, my husband would literally have about 2 friends!

My husband is a detective ::cop:, so he has a few handguns that are at our house, of course trigger locked and locked in a safe when he's not wearing it . Before the law changed, he had a few shotguns at home as well. However, once the laws changed regarding how they were stored, these were moved to his locker at the station as we really didn't want a huge gun safe. (Funny story--one of the first times he brought me to his house when we were dating, he said, "Hey, wanna see my gun collection. It's upstairs in my bedroom." I was thinking, oh my, how many times has he used this line on someone to get them upstairs. Believe it or not, though, it wasn't a line and he really wanted to show my his gun collection. He didn't even kiss me!!) We started teaching our girls from the get-go that only police daddies (and mommies) carry guns. (And bad people!) They go to daycare at another detective's house and he has guns as well.

If we lived by this, my husband would literally have about 2 friends!

Growing up with a police officer/Navy Officer - I think we might not have any friends if we lived by this :lmao: . I'm glad our friends that don't have guns don't judge us like this.

And I mean it completely. I have no desire to have anything other than a casual acquaintaince with anyone who owns guns.

WHAT?? never mind... not even worth it.... I am also glad OUR friends do not think like this lol with dh being a cop and all...most of our friends are cops so they all have guns also. lol Also with such a narrow minded view I am sure none of them would want a friend like that either.Oh and when you ask someone if they own a gun they may not even tell you (most people do not tell strangers that).

Okay...I want to make sure I'm understanding you. If a very nice police officer lived next door to you and owned guns - you would not be friends with him for that reason??

Okay...I want to make sure I'm understanding you. If a very nice police officer lived next door to you and owned guns - you would not be friends with him for that reason??

That is exactly what I was wanting to write to those who refuse to have anything to do with anyone who owns guns. I mean, my father was a police officer for 25 years and as such we had guns in the house. I was taught at a young age how to handle and clean a gun correctly, but also not to mess with them. When I got older, I was taught how to shoot and would go to the range with my father.

I just do not understand the people who would be so unwilling to even get to know people who own them...

Let me tell you, if someone breaks into her house and she runs out screaming that the intruder is still inside holding her family hostage, guess who she's gonna come running to?

My DH is a retired police officer and so is my dad. I've grown up with guns my whole life. From an early age I was taught to respect them and of course, we've taught that to our children. DD's are now teenagers and the guns are locked up in the safe. Only me and DH know the combo, which came preset by the safe company. If we should happen to forget the combo, then we're outta luck :laughing: Also, we made a point not to open the safe with the kids around, just in case their little eyes were peering at the safe while being opened.

You know, me and DH were just talking about taking our girls to the firing range and letting them shoot the guns. I've also never shot off a gun before, but I would sure like to.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day and I thought it was funny. It said, Where ever chickens are outlawed, only outlaws will have chickens.

That's the truth. You can outlaw guns all you want, but from my experiences in court and DH on the job experience, the perps will Always have access to firearms, no matter what laws are put in place. I like a level playing field and I appreciate our right to bear arms, especially in our modern society.

DH told me, if someone comes into your home at night, they are fully aware that you are most likely home and they don't care if you wake up because they will harm you or kill you. If someone comes into our home at night, me or DH will make sure they will not make it out. It's us or them. I choose me and my family.

BTW, true story. When I was dating DH, he came to my home in The Bronx and picked me up for a night out. A car full of guys stopped on the side of my house and the driver asked us for directions. Me being naive gave him directions. At the same time it appeared to me that the passenger was getting out quietly from the passenger side door. The driver was trying to keep me occupied with his hand gestures and questioning my directions, so I barely noticed what was going on. Next thing I know, the car takes off like a bat outta hell.
DH then told me that while I was giving directions, the passenger was getting out of the car and when he stood up and started walking toward the back of the car and then walked toward DH, DH then pulled open his jacket, displaying his firearm. The passenger immediately got back into the passenger seat and that's when they took off.

DH told me this was a common occurrance in his precinct. Had my DH not been there, I could have been abducted, raped, killed, whatever.
I have also had many other experiences growing up where I was nearly accosted, kidnapped, etc. but I have a wonderful guardian angel watching over me, and I also have the street smarts I needed to get me out of those situations.

So yes, there is Absolutely the continued need for Americans' to have the right to bear arms.:thumbsup2

I know that when a house goes on the market in my neighborhood, realtors always play up the fact that there are cops that live here. A few years ago, within a 2 block area, there 5 cops. Now there's only 2, but I've always thought it was funny that my husband is a selling point.

I would be really annoyed that someone wouldn't like us simply because of the tools my husband must use to perform his job, which by the way is to protect people who may or may not like guns!!!!! Being a public servant who puts him or herself on the line day in and day out is a thankless enough job as it is without people not wanting to be our friend because we keep guns at our house. Out of curiousity, to the OP who posted that they couldn't be friends with people who have guns, if our kids were friends at school, would they be allowed to come to our house for a playdate?

Guns were never a part of my life growing up so I never really thought about them even though my mother was a police officer for a while. But I never saw her gun except when she was wearing.

Entering adulthood I was very scared of guns because I had never really been around them and didn't know much at all about them. The most I knew was what we learned in the Hunter's Safety course we had to take at school. Funny thing about that course is that I was the only person in the class with a perfect score - but most of the class was made up of country guys who loved to hunt.

When Larry came along so did his guns. He has a rifle and a handgun. He has taken me out to the shooting range so that I can be familiar with the handgun and not be so afraid of them. It really did help to ease some of my fears about them. Just yesterday we went into a store that had guns and I saw a few I wouldn't mind having. His handgun is rather large and I want something smaller that is easier for me to handle. I really want to do more target shooting and get even more comfortable with a gun.

If something were to happen that I would need to protect myself using the gun then I want to have the knowledge and experience I need to protect myself. Larry can't always be home with me so there is that slight chance I would have to defend myself. I hope and pray it never comes to that but it is nice to know that I can if it is ever needed.

BTW, true story. When I was dating DH, he came to my home in The Bronx and picked me up for a night out. A car full of guys stopped on the side of my house and the driver asked us for directions. Me being naive gave him directions. At the same time it appeared to me that the passenger was getting out quietly from the passenger side door. The driver was trying to keep me occupied with his hand gestures and questioning my directions, so I barely noticed what was going on. Next thing I know, the car takes off like a bat outta hell.
DH then told me that while I was giving directions, the passenger was getting out of the car and when he stood up and started walking toward the back of the car and then walked toward DH, DH then pulled open his jacket, displaying his firearm. The passenger immediately got back into the passenger seat and that's when they took off.

DH told me this was a common occurrance in his precinct. Had my DH not been there, I could have been abducted, raped, killed, whatever.
I have also had many other experiences growing up where I was nearly accosted, kidnapped, etc. but I have a wonderful guardian angel watching over me, and I also have the street smarts I needed to get me out of those situations.

So yes, there is Absolutely the continued need for Americans' to have the right to bear arms.:thumbsup2

Three true stories:

A few years ago, a two guys in a car bumped my uncles truck from the rear. My uncle pulled over and the pax jumped out of the car and ran toward my uncle. My uncle didn't like the feeling of things so he got his gun out from under his seat and just laid it across his arm. So when the guy got to the window, the barrel was pointed right at him. The guy not seeing the gun right away, tried to open my uncle's truck door. An yelled for my uncle to get out of his truck. My uncle just looked at him and motioned toward the shot gun. The guy had a gun but was holding it beside his leg. When the man saw the shot gun, he let go of the truck and took off running for the car. My uncle called the police.

A few days later a truck driver on that same section of road was dragged out of his truck, robbed, and shot to death.

About a week later my dad was hunting. He parked his truck on the side of the road(the same area where the above things had happened) and walked to his hunting house. As he was walking back to the truck one afternoon. He heard someone messing with his truck. He got where he could see the guy, breaking into his truck. The guy had already popped the window out so he could reach in and unlock the truck door. My dad shot the ground about 5 feet behind the guy. By the time he got to the truck, the guy had shut the door and was running across the road. A car matching the description that the one my uncle had given, came up from the opposite side of the road a picked the guy up.

Guns were never a part of my life growing up so I never really thought about them even though my mother was a police officer for a while. But I never saw her gun except when she was wearing.

Entering adulthood I was very scared of guns because I had never really been around them and didn't know much at all about them. The most I knew was what we learned in the Hunter's Safety course we had to take at school. Funny thing about that course is that I was the only person in the class with a perfect score - but most of the class was made up of country guys who loved to hunt.

When Larry came along so did his guns. He has a rifle and a handgun. He has taken me out to the shooting range so that I can be familiar with the handgun and not be so afraid of them. It really did help to ease some of my fears about them. Just yesterday we went into a store that had guns and I saw a few I wouldn't mind having. His handgun is rather large and I want something smaller that is easier for me to handle. I really want to do more target shooting and get even more comfortable with a gun.

If something were to happen that I would need to protect myself using the gun then I want to have the knowledge and experience I need to protect myself. Larry can't always be home with me so there is that slight chance I would have to defend myself. I hope and pray it never comes to that but it is nice to know that I can if it is ever needed.

One of the first things one of my older brothers taught me about guns. If your going to pull one on someone, be prepared to use it. Other wise the person you are pulling it on, could take it away from you and use it on you.

We have guns. DH & sons hunt. We gave our kids a shootgun/rifle for Christmas when they were 10 & 11. I grew up with my father's gun in a locked glass front case in the dining room for all the world to see. I can only remember one friend commenting. It was no big deal - and that was suburbia.

One of the first things one of my older brothers taught me about guns. If your going to pull one on someone, be prepared to use it. Other wise the person you are pulling it on, could take it away from you and use it on you.

That's what Larry taught me as well.

We have lots of guns-pistols,shotguns,rifles,a semi automatic. My husband and sons hunt. They eat what they kill or give the extra meat to either our elderly neighbors or to the priests at church.
All of our guns are locked up in huge gun safes. The safes have locks no keys and my husband and sons are the only ones who know the combinations.

Not legal in this country as such for anyone to own, but if we ever move to the US DH says we would have one in the house!

Claire ;)

I chose other, as we have guns in the house, but I have reservations about them. I'm not crazy about them at all. DH used to be part of a family (stepfather) who were largely into hunting and he was given his own guns. We're in a rural, hunting, somewhat conservative area and it would be uncommon to find a household without at least one gun around here. My own family had them as well because my father used to hunt, and we're a quite liberal family. The guns in our household are locked in a gunsafe, except one which is kept in a hall closet unloaded with a trigger lock and ammunition kept in a separate room. We have no children or small visitors, so I'm okay with that.

For myself, I would never even think about using one for protection (and I don't hunt, so I wouldn't use one at all). I'm 4'10" and petite, and the guns we have are all far too large and unwieldly for me to contemplate using safely or successfully. I can't remember how to load it, either. But I believe DH could potentially use it if necessary upon intrusion, so I suppose I feel a bit safer with it around and don't necessarily want him to remove them from the house - though the thought of gathering the gun, removing the lock, and safely loading it seems like it would take an awful lot of time in an emergency situation. If we had an intruder, I'd sooner grab my pepper spray or a kitchen knife. :rotfl2: I shot a .22 at a target when I was a child, and just have never felt safe or comfortable handling or using guns in general - I have a healthy fear of them. I fully believe you have to be knowledgeable and prepared to use one to kill another human being if you own one for protection purposes, and that's not me, so I don't consider them mine.

I support people's ability to own and use guns, with strong restrictions on gun purchase and ownership, and a huge emphasis on education and safety. All the guns in my home will be locked up when we have children. I'm not sure yet how I will feel when I have children and contemplate them going into homes where guns may not be stored safely. I don't know how you handle that issue, beyond teaching your children firmly that guns are not toys and to leave immediately and get an adult if another child touches one, and then trusting them to always use impeccable judgment. It's very difficult for me to think about. I don't even like toy guns or children using "gun" hand motions to "shoot" each other. They're not toys, and my kids will be taught to respect them and not treat them lightly.

I have a BB/Pellet gun in the house I share with my roommate. My dad is a major gun collector (and knows how to build them, fix them, etc.) and I know how to shoot. I grew up with them just laying around in our basement and would never have touched one except to move it if it was in my way. In fact, I have a funny story about the BB/Pellet gun. My roommate knows that I know how to shoot and on Father's Day, I was sitting up in the living room putting the gun together and the other women in the house (she had two friends over) were putting a desk together. That was definitely one to tell my dad and he got a kick out of it ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter