Do you Believe?

I thought this thread title was an allusion to that Cher song, asking us all the timeless question, "Do you believe in life after love?" Then it turned into Nazi flying saucers and people on drugs. THE DIS.

Last edited:
Yes I believe I also believe that a lot of humans are arrogant to think there is nothing else out there . Lol
AGREE

Bottom line ... there are LOTS of things people believe in without any proof, like real proof. We can hear stories about all kinds of things whether religion, aliens, Big Foot, Yeti, mermaids, dragons, Santa, fairies ............ but that doesn't make any of it true. So we are all free to believe in whatever we wish to believe in to make us happy.

The arrogance comes because it is contradictory, whether you follow a religious or scientific beginning, to believe this massive indefinite universe was created and yet only one small ball was picked to be inhabited with creatures of all levels of intelligence.

Last edited:

AGREE

Bottom line ... there are LOTS of things people believe in without any proof, like real proof. We can hear stories about all kinds of things whether religion, aliens, Big Foot, Yeti, mermaids, dragons, Santa, fairies ............ but that doesn't make any of it true. So we are all free to believe in whatever we wish to believe in to make us happy.

The arrogance comes because is contradictory whether you follow a religious or scientific beginning to believe this massive indefinite universe was created and yet only one small ball was picked to be inhabited with creatures of all levels of intelligence.

Yeah, it's human nature. I tend to believe that everything, all of the myths, etc. are based on something real, a modicum of truth if you will, but I don't take the current iterations that we know today as literal. It becomes majorly adulterated over time. Ancient people might have seen a civilization with more advanced technology than their own as "gods" - but the stories of true godly feats are likely exaggerated. I certainly don't think they came from space or anything. Still, I wouldn't rule anything out, and I definitely believe there is more out there in the vast universe than we know.

AGREE

The arrogance comes because it is contradictory, whether you follow a religious or scientific beginning, to believe this massive indefinite universe was created and yet only one small ball was picked to be inhabited with creatures of all levels of intelligence.
Well, I believe in God and science (yes, you can believe in both without being accused as a hypocrite). I wish we could discuss some of the “proof” I believe in but unfortunately we can’t here. It really is a shame because there are many Disboarders on here that can be mature and respectful on the subject but because of the rules we can’t.

I do find it interesting that UFO sightings waned as cameras (smartphones) became more prevalent. On the other side, technology's improved, hence there's also more hoaxed footage out there.

Bigfoot was a hit because there was just enough imagery to entice people yet not enough to verify or dismiss. You don't see creature sightings like this anymore, unless they're fakes.

The last one to create a stir was the Chupacabra in the mid-90's. Turns out, what the original witness saw was just a coyote with mange. But what prompted her imagination? She just recently saw the movie Species and believed to some degree the story was real. Here's the original eye-witness sketch vs the movie:
images
41d75fdc9d9e4d485927cebb28e844ae.jpg

EDIT: Worth noting that Sci-Fi movies were a big influence on UFO sightings. The 1950's era of contactees is loaded with eye-witness stories of pretty white people in shiny outfits. And shortly before Travis Walton claimed to have been abducted in the 70's, there was the Benny and Barney Hill movie on TV at the time (starring James Earl Jones and Shelly Winters!). PS - the 90's UFO craze actually led to both Walton's story becoming a movie, and the movie about the Hills being re-aired on the Sci-Fi channel.

So cameras abound now, we no longer have Bigfeet or Nessies like we use to. We just have the internet. Look at Slender Man, who was born from a photoshopped image, and became so popular that some teens even committed murder to appease him. Contrived Creepypasta stories online are all that remains of monster folklore because real monsters aren't appearing anytime soon on cameras.

Well, I believe in God and science (yes, you can believe in both without being accused as a hypocrite). I wish we could discuss some of the “proof” I believe in but unfortunately we can’t here. It really is a shame because there are many Disboarders on here that can be mature and respectful on the subject but because of the rules we can’t.
You misunderstood what I was saying.

I'm not saying it is contradictory to believe in both.

What I am saying is whether you believe in one or the other (or both) ... if you go to the basics of those beliefs it would be hypocritical to rule out the possibility of life other than here on earth.

Not in the sense that they are visiting us or will mean any harm, but for us to think that we are the only life form in the entire universe is pretty egotistical of us. If they are visiting us then they are much smarter than we are already and therefore are smart enough to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible. They probably look at us as being the Beverly Hillbillies of the universe.

The reality is in all likelihood if there were another species that was advanced enough to bridge the vast distance between us, we'd have about as much chance at meaningful communication with them as an ant does with us. They'd likely be so vastly different than us as to not even be aware of us at all or if they were we'd be but a simple ant to them.

Perhaps one day, we'll be that advanced species. But it is not this day. For now we have only Earth. And we are alone.

Last edited:
So I debated whether to mention this or not, but I am curious about everyone's thoughts on it. Years ago, my mom and I were on the walking path up the mountain at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park outside of Atlanta. It was late in the afternoon, so the sun was fairly low in the sky. Suddenly we both clearly saw "something" in the opposite direction from the city skyline. It was golden colored and octagonal in shape, and it was just hovering in the sky, didn't really seem to be moving.

Our first thought was that it was sunlight reflecting off of something. But like I said, it was the opposite direction from the city. We located the sun, and it didn't seem to be at any sort of angle that could have reflected off anything in the direction of the object. We ran through all sorts of explanations and none of them fit.

And to make it even more interesting, we did some research afterwards. And apparently at some point 20 or 30 years before that, President Carter had seen the exact same thing, from the exact same place. He never figured it out either.

Any ideas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter