do they fill up concierge with upgraded guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say to anyone who is playing up the idea that they do not want to mix or have to share an area with the rest of the passengers onboard. Perhaps you are overestimating your personal wealth. I guess you spend your entire cruise holed up in your cabin and the concierge lounge. I mean why bother with a cabana go rent an island and then you won't have to worry about who's on the beach with you. Or purchase a large yacht with your own crew and you'll never have to worry about who got upgraded to what. I mean honestly if you can afford it you could rent out the park for a day and not have to rub elbows with the rest of us.

If I want to be pampered and spoiled Disney is not where I go. I go to Disney for fun and comfort concierge in Disney is a far cry from true luxury.

Wow some people have really skewed perspectives.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's "issues". I'm sure there's help for that.

I can tell you that if any fellow passenger on an international business class flight asked me if I paid full fare or was upgraded, I would be really pissed and tell them to mind their own business. But I can't imagine anyone asking me this question as people in business class pretty much seem to keep to themselves.

I consider myself pretty frugal with my money, usually, but here's how Disney got me to spend more money on my criuises.

Disney has a business reason for upgrading passengers at the port for a discounted price. It allows people like me to experience a higher category stateroom than we would normally book. Then, once you are hooked, you continue to book the higher category stateroom.

Although we have not cruised with DCL for the past 3 years (I wanted to teach my kids that a real vacation doesn't always = Disney Cruise), my daughter had been on 14 Disney cruises between the ages of 3 and 8. But after several land-based vacations, they missed their Disney cruise so we are now booked on a September sailing on the Fantasy this year.

Our 1st one was in an ocean view stateroom and we found ourselves looking out the window only to check the weather in the morning. But we get weather information on the TV and the Navigator so we booked an inside stateroom for the 2nd. We found the inside room very cozy, and Disney cruise experience just the same.

On our 3rd, we paid the discounted price at the port to upgrade to a concierge suite. The CM at the check-in counter recommended the upgrade but warned that once we try it, it will be hard not to book it again on future cruises. Well, he was right, and we were hooked

So, for the next 9 cruises, including this September, I have paid DCL an average of approx. $6,000 more per cruise than had they not offered that "teaser" upgrade at the port. That's $54,000 more in revenue for DCL.

The discounted port upgrades have the double effect of advertising their higher category stateroom for people willing to pay for the difference on future cruises, and a "good will" for people who are not. Its not necessarily so the discounted-fare-paying passengers can rub elbows with the full fare passengers.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's "issues". I'm sure there's help for that.

I can tell you that if any fellow passenger on an international business class flight asked me if I paid full fare or was upgraded, I would be really pissed and tell them to mind their own business. But I can't imagine anyone asking me this question as people in business class pretty much seem to keep to themselves.

I agree. Total lack of class to ask that of another passenger. :sad2:

I'm still trying to get my head around the 'only do concierge'.

I'd rather spend the money on multiple cruises rather than a pricey room. Won't say no to free upgrade :goodvibes but HC cabins are even more scarce.

I usually book the "cheap seats" by choice, because I'd also rather travel more often. I don't EVER want to get so spoiled by staying in fancy hotel rooms or cruise ship cabins, or sitting in business/first class seats on a plane that I can't go back to more basic accommodations. People who think they are too good to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi make me sick!

**For the record, I'm flying on DELTA to Orlando in 2 days...because it was CHEAP! ;)

I must say to anyone who is playing up the idea that they do not want to mix or have to share an area with the rest of the passengers onboard. Perhaps you are overestimating your personal wealth. I guess you spend your entire cruise holed up in your cabin and the concierge lounge. I mean why bother with a cabana go rent an island and then you won't have to worry about who's on the beach with you. Or purchase a large yacht with your own crew and you'll never have to worry about who got upgraded to what. I mean honestly if you can afford it you could rent out the park for a day and not have to rub elbows with the rest of us.

If I want to be pampered and spoiled Disney is not where I go. I go to Disney for fun and comfort concierge in Disney is a far cry from true luxury.

Wow some people have really skewed perspectives.

Well said! I am getting cranky in my old age, and I could imagine telling someone like that, in my best Dana Carvey/Church Lady voice, "Well aren't you special!" :rotfl2:

I don't care what anyone else pays for anything. If I worried about what others pay or don't pay I probably wouldn't cruise at all. :confused3

What I think about is: Can MY family afford this cruise at the price it is currently being offered.
We have cruised inside cabins and concierge. Booking last minute has been a habit for us due to our ability/inability to get away at any given time. I can honestly say that concierge makes it easier to experience some activities on the ship and some excursions as well. That having been said, being in an inside stateroom we have had a great time. We still enjoy everything and everyone.

Your particular income, lifestyle, likes and dislikes are frankly none of my business. I only care how you behave towards me and my family and this has nothing to do with your stateroom number or what you paid.

Upgrades are not the norm and I am thrilled to hear when a family gets "pixie dusted." :wizard::love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter