Do iPads ever go on sale?

Sugar Jones

DIS Veteran
I am really wanting to get my 10yr old one for Christmas. He shares an iPod with his little brother and its only an 8g not nearly big enough. I was thinking the iPad would be great option for him. He loves reading but is intimidated by the amount of pages in a book. He could use iBooks to read.

You can check the apple site, they sell refurbs for about $50 off.

During the holiday sales, stores like best buy might have deals, like buy an ipad, get a gift card as well.

You could try ebay also.

depends on what you mean by "sale". will you see best buys selling one for 30% off? Nope. apple keeps really tight control on their price points.
Like mom above said, you can catch promotions where you get freebies.

If you only want it for him to be able to read, why not get an e-reader? They're significantly cheaper than iPads. Many e-readers have expansion slots where you can put in a memory card for additional storage.

Think about a refurbished Itouch. I've gotten probably ten ipods through the years that were refurbished by Apple and have had no problems. They all comes with a 1 year warranty. How about something from the Kindle Fire lineup?

I second the post about buying refurbished directly from the Apple website. I've purchased every Apple product that I own....ipods and ipads, from their site. The products are warranted exactly the same as a new purchase and come packaged as new. You'd never know the difference except for the price. On the Apple website there is a link to refurbished products on the lower left side of the home page. These products change daily as they are purchased and replenished. Go for it...

The rumored Ipad mini may be an option. It is rumored to be announced in October and released in early November. It will have all of the options of the Ipad just smaller in size and price. Rumors are it will probably go for $250-$300 range.

I was going to suggest this as well.

The ipad is a 10" screen, the new one will be around 7" or the size of a Kindle Fire.

Older Kindle Fire models can be found for around $139 now. That might be an option too. It has wifi and you can download apps. Amazon has a free app or two per day.

Dawn

The rumored Ipad mini may be an option. It is rumored to be announced in October and released in early November. It will have all of the options of the Ipad just smaller in size and price. Rumors are it will probably go for $250-$300 range.

Also, places like Target sometimes will offer gift cards when you purchase one -- just keep checking. Lots of time between now and Christmas.

The best price I saw was at a Microcenter. They had some refurbed ipads that were cheaper than the apple price. Just by a little bit.

Thing is I believe you have to get them in store, and not online. They sometimes list it online.

We ended up getting one refurb from apple.

If you have a target debit card you can get 5% off that way.

Denise in MI

There is no refurbished ones on the Apple Canada site :( There are lots on the U.S site, but they won't ship to Canada.

I will watch the Target online flyers. I live close to the border so crossing over to save money is an option for me :)

There are a few refurbished iPods though. Also there is a new iPod touch coming out in October. You can pre-order it now.

Decisions, Decisions lol!

Oooh...I hope you're right. My 11 y/o and 13 y/o both said they want iPads for christmas :scared1: I'm in Canada and never did a black Friday before but was considering it if there were any deals over on the US side. $300 and under doesn't seem so bad though.

Apple sells the Ipad 2 for $399.00 I am typing on a refurb Ipad 2 version 3G I bought for $499. Saved over $100 by buying a refurb. If I had to do it again. I would probably buy a Kindle Fire. I love Apple computers, my wife and I have three Mac computers, 1 Ipad2, 1 Ipad 3, and 4 Ipods.

But I think I would try the Kindle fire just because the WIFI version is cheaper.

I bought my IPad 2 at Fry's Electronics a couple of months ago for $339, it is a wi fi, not the 3g or whatever one. I love it, I have a Kindle also but find reading on the bigger screen a little easier on my eyes. With that being said my Kindle (which I also love) is much more portable and also don't worry quite as much about bumping it, etc. If I was buying something for a 10 year old primarily for reading it would be an ereader.

I am really wanting to get my 10yr old one for Christmas. He shares an iPod with his little brother and its only an 8g not nearly big enough. I was thinking the iPad would be great option for him. He loves reading but is intimidated by the amount of pages in a book. He could use iBooks to read.

I'm sure this is a long shot...but, did you happen to take part in the Southwest Airlines 50,000 rapid rewards credit card offer? You can redeem those 50,000 points for $500 in Best Buy gift cards. That will at least get you a little closer to the purchase.

Apple officially puts some of their more popular products on sale one day a year: Black Friday.

It's never a huge discount but every dollar counts. Last year we bought my mom a new iPad2 on black friday and it was $40 or $50 off.

They tend to just do like gift cards or ridiculous bundles like add a car charger or a case with most of there products. Last year was 40-50$ off which really is nothing when you consider talk of the iPad 3 coming out a few months later. Unfornutate but I'm a suckered in apple fan user probably for life

I sell iOS devices for a living and I always recommend refurbished iPad 2 for kids. Saves mom and dad some cash while still running the new OS.

Sales are pretty rare directly from Apple (think Black Friday), and only bundles are common at third party retailers.

I sell iOS devices for a living and I always recommend refurbished iPad 2 for kids. Saves mom and dad some cash while still running the new OS.

Sales are pretty rare directly from Apple (think Black Friday), and only bundles are common at third party retailers.

Not that it helps the OP, but this last summer, iPads were included in Apple's back to school special: buy an iPad and receive a $50 iTunes/App store gift card. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter