Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really are not far from the parking lot. If you want a less expensive room then you could rebook but if you're only considering the walk from the car to your room I don't think rebooking is necessary.

Thanks. We've never been and I just noticed there wasn't a parking lot next to the building. We will just keep our original reservation. Thanks again!

Thanks. We've never been and I just noticed there wasn't a parking lot next to the building. We will just keep our original reservation. Thanks again!
You're welcome!

I also thought after writing you that moving categories could put you even further away from a parking lot than you will be now.

It may look far on the map but I'm pretty sure you'll giggle to yourself when you're there that you were concerned about the distance. :D

You're welcome!

I also thought after writing you that moving categories could put you even further away from a parking lot than you will be now.

It may look far on the map but I'm pretty sure you'll giggle to yourself when you're there that you were concerned about the distance. :D
Haha! Yeah, probably so. I know maps aren't always drawn to scale. We are looking forward to our first stay at this resort.

just got back from Pop on Saturday. It was my first time there so I just wanted to share my experience to maybe help someone else out. my major concerns were 1) distance from room to buses and 2) how small were the rooms for the 3 of us and 3) online checkin stuff

Magical Express - My flight landed at 1:30pm. It was 3:00pm by the time I got to Pop using the ME (in the pouring rain might i add lol)

Check in
- I did online check in and requested 1)70s 2) lake view. Touring plans faxed in a request for room 6315 (not a lake view but I requested it anyway in case we wanted to take the stairs and i know the 3rd floor shouldn't be as noisy) however we ended up in room 6355 which was a lake view (building 6).

Room - Room was great and had an adjoining room door. Walking to the main pool or to classic hall to cut thru to the bus stops was a short walk. it was a little annoying having to zig zag thru the beverage stations in the food court to get over to the store/door to exit by the bus stops. but it was still a shortcut so it was fine. The only time i heard my neighbors was the very last night through the adjoining door. I don't know if they were just getting in, but they quieted down by the time we went to sleep. The regular bed was very comfy. 8 pillows on the regular bed since 4 were for the murphy bed that pulled down easily. a little tight walking around it when down, but not overly a problem at all. The fridge was fine. At first I didn't think it would keep items cold, but we packed it with drinks and snacks and found it to be completely fine. Nothing cold enough to freeze, but definitely cold. The bathroom area was nice with plenty of storage. There is a sliding door so that someone could get ready without bothering others sleeping. There is a second pocket door into the toilet/bathroom room. I had NO problems with the sliding glass door on the tub having water leak onto the floor like people have complained about.

Housekeeping - after getting into our room the first day, i went down to Classic Hall to request no housekeeping to get the gift card. there was a big line, but they had someone walking down the line with an ipad asking people what help they needed. that person was able to take care of my request and i was all set quickly. Anytime i needed new towels or trash taken out, I made a call to the Disney Services button on the phone and I swear they were there in less than 5 minutes! (except when i called in the afternoon one day. that time it took closer to 20 min)

Grocery delivery - this one was interesting. I used Instacart to have some basic food items and bottled water delivered. I wasn't sure when i placed the order how long I would take to arrive at Pop so I had the order delivered around 2pm. When we went to luggage services to pick it up, we had to wait about 10-20 minutes while they went wherever they went in their van to go pick it up. I didn't realize that would happen (having to wait for it to come from some other location), but it was what it was.

Pool - we only went to the Hippy Dippy Pool as it was the closest to our room. in the afternoons they play popular songs from the past few decades. sometimes the workers come out and play games and dances with the kids who want to participate.

Checkout - our flight wasn't until 8:40pm on check out day. ME was picking us up around 5:30pm. I had called 2 different times about late checkout but was told it "wasn't available" or we "weren't eligible". don't know if it's because someone was coming into the room after us or if it was because we had gotten a room discount. anyway, we checked out around 10:30am and brought our checked luggage to the resort airline checkin luggage area near the pool on the backside of Classic Hall. we dropped off one of our carryons at luggage assistance to hold until we were ready to get it later. then we spent the day at the hippy dippy pool until it was time to change and grab our carryon bag to get on the ME.

Other - the day we came back in the afternoon from Epcot, we hopped on the AoA bus and walked over to Pop. Its not a long walk at all, especially compared to all the walking in the parks. I will say, the Generation Gap bridge isn't that big. How on earth is it going to work when people are lining up to get on the Skyliner?? (Also, go try the Smores Cookie from AoA food court. it's amazing!) Also, the weather was pouring rain/storms just about every afternoon while we were there. I wondered if people on the first floor ever have problems with water flooding into their rooms a bit.

Food- the only time we ate at Pop was on checkout day we grabbed lunch. We all got the bacon burger and fries. LOTS of fries with the adult portion. burger was satisfactory. thicker burger patty than i expected.

Overall - I was pleased with the cute theme of the resort. My room location was acceptable. I didn't get to walk around the resort as much as I would have liked to since we were spending all our time in the parks and when we got back it was either pouring rain or nighttime. The ONLY major problem was that only one elevator was working in the building 6 my entire stay. so that created some problems for people, especially those with strollers or scooters. I would probably stay here again as long as the rooms don't get too expensive. I tried to be thorough, but please ask if you have any questions about the resort. :-)

Checkout - our flight wasn't until 8:40pm on check out day. ME was picking us up around 5:30pm. I had called 2 different times about late checkout but was told it "wasn't available" or we "weren't eligible". don't know if it's because someone was coming into the room after us or if it was because we had gotten a room discount. anyway,

You can’t get late check out ever. Really that simple. Lol. They are waiting for you to leave to flip the room.

spiderann ....Thank you for your review. Sounds like a great stay. Silly question. Can you walk across the field next to the 70s building (think there is some playground there) to get to the bus stop? Or you have to go through the Classic Hall?

spiderann ....Thank you for your review. Sounds like a great stay. Silly question. Can you walk across the field next to the 70s building (think there is some playground there) to get to the bus stop? Or you have to go through the Classic Hall?
There are paved walkways throughout Pop Century. Yes, you have the option of taking a pathway from 70s to the bus stops without going through Classic Hall.

Late check out is 12 or 1. That is what the resorts consider late and I have gotten all but one time.
yes that's what i was told by others online, however, when they used the phrase "not eligible" or "unavailable" i just thought that intriguing. did you happen to book a full price room for your stay so you normally get it?? just curious

i know what you're asking. yes there is a walkway from the end of the bustops around by the playground to the 70s buildings. if i remember correctly, no you can't walk across the "field" that appears to be there where the playground is. behind the benches at the bus stop is some tall bushes (and perhaps a little wall?). the day we checked in, i couldn't initially see the Class Hall cut through to the back, so we walked all the way around by the bus stops with our luggage to get to our room in the rain. if there was a cut through i would have taken it lol.

There are paved walkways throughout Pop Century. Yes, you have the option of taking a pathway from 70s to the bus stops without going through Classic Hall.

i know what you're asking. yes there is a walkway from the end of the bustops around by the playground to the 70s buildings. if i remember correctly, no you can't walk across the "field" that appears to be there where the playground is. behind the benches at the bus stop is some tall bushes (and perhaps a little wall?). the day we checked in, i couldn't initially see the Class Hall cut through to the back, so we walked all the way around by the bus stops with our luggage to get to our room in the rain. if there was a cut through i would have taken it lol.

Thank you. From map drawings it looks like you can walk across that field so thanks for clarifying that you cannot. Good to know when planning building request (although I think I read someone commenting that they did walk across the parking lot to get to the bus for building 9 so guess that one is possible_

You can’t get late check out ever. Really that simple. Lol. They are waiting for you to leave to flip the room.
we stayed at carribbean beach sept 2018. we asked and were granted late checkout of 1PM . they told us that is the latest time without being charged for an extra night.

When we book a vacation, some were room only with a discount or a vacation package with "free dining". The reason they give you for "unavailable, is there are only so many rooms in a "block of rooms" or area that they can allow late check out. Housekeeping must be able to clean rooms to have available for guests arriving. If you want late check out, you must request days earlier.

As far as "not eligible" I believe it has to do with how you booked. Have you booked directly through disney, with a travel agent at an "travel agent special code", did you book as part of a group reservation? There are definitely dates offered to groups and travel agents that don't qualify. AgAin, they need to keep rooms routating.

Pop is running at capacity/near capacity these days so they need to get rooms turned over as quickly as possible for arriving guests. As has often been discussed here, rooms are assigned to arriving guests days in advance. If current guests request a late check-out with short notice it can cause a ripple effect as suddenly the Pop staff may need to find a different room for arriving guests. Since many specify certain things they’d like (location, floor, etc.) it's not always easy to just find an arriving guest a new room.

When I know in advance that our flight is leaving later in the day I try to organize us to use luggage services to hold our luggage and go to a park or DS or, ask if a late checkout could be possible 4 or 5 days in advance of our checkout. I try to put myself in the shoes of arriving guests who are excited to begin their stay and vacate the room by 11:00.

Last edited:
yup. assigning guests to rooms is like a giant game of Tetris! lol. we only once asked for late checkout. normally we just hang by the pool till
"Magical Depress" time. and we asked at check in...and I agree with thinking about the guests arriving. we have waited a LONG time for a room twice, I think. usually we get SO lucky and our room is ready when we arrive about 11 am or noon. sometimes it's ready, but we say we'll wait for a room in a better location. yeah, if you have a late flight it bites being what we call "homeless" for the day.

When we book a vacation, some were room only with a discount or a vacation package with "free dining". The reason they give you for "unavailable, is there are only so many rooms in a "block of rooms" or area that they can allow late check out. Housekeeping must be able to clean rooms to have available for guests arriving. If you want late check out, you must request days earlier.

As far as "not eligible" I believe it has to do with how you booked. Have you booked directly through disney, with a travel agent at an "travel agent special code", did you book as part of a group reservation? There are definitely dates offered to groups and travel agents that don't qualify. AgAin, they need to keep rooms routating.
I don’t think requesting a late check out has anything to do with how you booked. We’ve booked with agency exclusives and got late check out and we’ve booked at rack rate and not gotten it.

We request late check out sometimes. Usually we ask near the beginning of our trip. Sometimes they say no then, and then the day we check out, we get a phone call saying we can have late check out if we wish. I think it has more to do with the maid’s schedule for that particular day rather then occupancy.

I know we’ve waited for a room on a few occasions that was sitting empty for hours and the maid just hadn’t gotten around to cleaning it because they were just working down one row and that room happened to be at the end.

When we check in they have told us "no" to check again later. Our average stay has been 10 nights.
That has what we’ve been told as well. I’ve never gone back to ask again. And we stay for 2 weeks. I guess sometimes they make a note that it’s been requested and they let you know that day if they can honour the request. Which is nice, but by that time, we’re pretty much packed up and ready to go anyways.

I've stayed on property four times, this will be our fifth. I've given up on room requests. I've used the drop down pre-check-in selections on the website, I've used Touring Plans fax, I've personally faxed, and calling is just talking to a call center, but I've done that too. Never ever gotten even close to where or what I requested, usually only asking for one or two things tops. The last trip I let myself get very invested in trying to get a refurbished room in a hotel that was about 65% complete and we didn't. It really soured my trip for the first day or two and I'm not going to do that to myself again.
Beyond room booking types, Standard, Preferred, Fill-in-the-blank Views, I'm just not going to worry about it. I'll be putting my requests in the pre-check-in selections and whatever happens, happens. 🤷‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter