Disney's Magical Express and DVC

Didn't northwest airlines get added recently? Susan

jaysue said:
Thanks DOC - yep, as I expected Air Canada not part of the program - probably due to being unable to do curbside checkin for International flights
In this thread and in other threads on the DIS Boards, there has been a lot of focus on "participating airlines."

Disney's Magical Express is available to passengers flying every airline that serves Orlando International Airport from any city of origin -- foreign or domestic.

For inbound flights, the service is exactly same, regardless of whether the airline is on the "participating airlines" list. (U.S. domestic passengers or international passnegers who cleared U.S. Customs before arriving in Orlando don't even have to think about baggage at Orlando International Airport. Those international passengers who need to clear U.S. Customs in Orlando must claim their baggage and clear U.S. Customs, after which Disney will collect the baggage to complete the Magical Express transfers.)

For flights home, the list of "participating airlines" only comes into play for Resort Airline Check-in, which allows passengers on some airlines to check their baggage and obtain their boarding passes right at their WDW resort hotel. But anyone who is departing from Orlando International Airport can ride on a Magical Express motor coach; it's just that some folks will have to retrieve their baggage from the hold of the coach and check it in at the airport, while those who can use Resort Airline Check-in can go straight from the coach to Security.

We plan on trying it in May. We just booked a weekend trip May 13th. The $49 each way was a rate I couldn't pass up! Since it is an 'added' trip, we will be cutting corners wehre we can. So we will pass on the towncar this time and give the service a try.

We will only be doing carry-on luggage, so no worry about that. It will be interesting to see how long it takes from the time we get to the takeoff area to the time we actually see the BW. :cool1:

Pumbaa_ said:
The $49 each way was a rate I couldn't pass up!
$49 each way for what? Disney's Magical Express is complimentary from its launch on May 5, 2005, through at least the end of 2006.

Or is "$49 each way" your airfare per person?

I think if they let you book one way, the one way they would let you book is from the airport to the resort.

I have to believe the primary objective here is that if they give you free transportation to the resorts, then you have one less reason to rent a car. If you are not renting a car, then you are a captive. How far will you travel from Disney when you want to eat/shop?

It also seems that it would play a part in folks who currently do not choose to stay at a Disney resort to consider this when making their plans - because if they chose a non-Disney place to stay, they would still need to figure transportation costs in to their budget.

I'm interested to see (purely from a business case standpoint) what the results are.

SlyHubby said:
I think if they let you book one way, the one way they would let you book is from the airport to the resort.

In our situation, the only reason we're booking one way is because we arrive
before the program officially begins (5/1) and depart 5/6. pirate:

houseofmouse said:
Hi,
Just wondering if this applies to bookings at DVC resorts booked through DVC?
Yes. You can use Disney's Magical Express for transportation and baggage transfers if you're staying at DVC resorts -- and it doesn't matter whether you're staying on points, with cash, or through an I.I. exchange.

If you are staying on points, MS will make the arrangements for you.

Best wishes -

I heard on these boards that Magical Express is being contracted through Mears. If that is the case I will not be using them. They are crowded cattle cars that hop form resort to resort and one is lucky not to miss their flight.
Confirm/Deny?

Horace Horsecollar said:
Yes. You can use Disney's Magical Express for transportation and baggage transfers if you're staying at DVC resorts -- and it doesn't matter whether you're staying on points, with cash, or through an I.I. exchange.

JoePoe, don't get the wrong impression, it may be Mears but ME will be using Deluxe Coaches. It will be top of the line all the way. There are many threads on the Transportation Board detailing ME. I won't rehash that here.
Take a minute and read all about it.

Sandy

joepoe said:
I heard on these boards that Magical Express is being contracted through Mears. If that is the case I will not be using them. They are crowded cattle cars that hop form resort to resort and one is lucky not to miss their flight.
Confirm/Deny?
Disney is running Magical Express, using several contractors to provide services. Mears is one of those contractors. But that doesn't mean that this is the same as the current Mears service.

See the thread "Mears Shuttle questions for the new Magical Express....." at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=710918

I was told by my guide that magical express is only available to those who are buying disney packages and not DVC members. Is this wrong b/c if we do fly I'd like to not have to pay for a transportation company to pick us up.

thanks
Alida

DVC members are included in ME, your guide is misinformed. Nice perk! You can check it out on the Members Only site. I have reservations for May at BCV's and my ME reservations are in as well. I just talked to MS this morning because by Flight time changed and I wanted them to make the change to my ME reservation. What was interesting was as long as the flight # doesn't change you don't have to call and adjust the times. ME routing will keep track of arrival and departure times from your air carrier. At least that is what I was told.

Sandy

I have a reservation for my trip in October/05, and it was easy to book, call MS after you have your room ressie.

Penny

I'm sure someone here has asked this already - but:) why not one more time!LOL

Friends of ours are renting our points.
They won't be renting a car.
They will be flying in on Air Canada - who codeshares with United.

Are they eligible for ME?

TIA!

:sunny:

I called MS to make sure my Magic Express reservation changed when I changed resorts and inquired as to when I will receive the ME packet and if it would arrive via US postal service. I was told that under normal circumstances the packet would be mailed 21 days prior to the reservation. But there have been a few hiccups with the first round of mail outs so now they are being overnighted via Federal Express. I was also told that some people may not receive their packets prior to their departure but they can still use the Magic Express Shuttle when they arrive at the airport in Orlando and they will need to get their own bags. They will just need to go to the welcome center to get on the shuttle then they can pick up luggage tags when they check in at their resort for their return home. Sorry for the long story, just thought I would share the info.

It looks to me like Disney's customer service is slipping. EVERYTHING seems to be taking way too long to implement lately! Look at how long the DDE cards are taking! :earseek:

don't scare me.

I am flying out May 14 and I have had trouble before with Orlando bag service - I had to wait an hour before for the entire plane luggage to arrive.

MS told me that if I haven't received my luggage tags before I leave - in B'ham I need to get the luggage recipts tags - once I am in Orlando go to the Disney Cruise Line - there should be a magic express line - I give the luggage tags to her. I don't have to go and wait for it. :rotfl:

they had trouble printing the things out?

facebook twitter