Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

My daughter is an Entertainment CM. She hasn't heard anything from Disney, but she just passed her 1-year anniversary so not that long on the job. She moved back home (Chico) when school and work shut down in spring and finished up online. Since her school (UCI) is apparently going to be online for a while, she may stay up here unless she gets called back to work, but she will need to let her landlord know her plans pretty soon. I think one of the hardest things about this pandemic is all of the uncertainty and not knowing what direction things will take.

Zot zot! That is all. I hope there's some certainty soon.

Zot zot! That is all. I hope there's some certainty soon.
Me too. She's still paying rent for her place down south because she doesn't know whether she'll be up here or down there. Without school or work, there's not much point in continuing to rent, but there's just no way to know yet.

Maybe I am not understanding what DLR is saying, but I would not buy Disney tickets if there was no guarantee of admission. I would have paid for plane tickets and then sit in my hotel room hoping I can get in sometime during the time I am there. That does not make sense for guests coming from a distance.

Anyone know yet when DLR will open up the 2021 dates for making reservations? I know that WDW opened up today, so I am hoping DLR won't be far behind.

You and I are looking at completely different data for San Diego. Or maybe interpreting it differently. I see percentage of positives at 2.91%. But it IS creeping back up. Which is to be expected with things open. Think we’ve made the decision to homeschool for many reasons next year.

I don’t think opening theme parks is smart. But then again i don’t think bars should be open either! It’s a mess!
Seems to me that the worst risks are both bars/clubs and churches. I remember reading an article recently commenting on new hot spots in both churches and strip clubs with “the virus doesn’t care if you’re a sinner or a saint.” One single church service in Frankfurt, Germany in late March yielded more than 100 infections—in a country with an infection rate that is less than a third of that in the US, and in which face coverings and distancing are far less politicized. Large groups indoors are a huge risk factor, even if people are trying to spread out. Research has shown that singing puts others around you at higher risk of infection than speaking, since we breathe more deeply when we sing. As far as bars go, close quarters and the lowered inhibitions we find with usage of alcoholic beverages seem to be another bad combination.

Compared to these high risk places, I don’t think theme parks that have lots of outdoor spaces, especially with attendance caps as well as consistently enforced rules about distancing and face coverings, are that bad of a risk.

Who knows, though... maybe my longing for the parks and subsequent wishful thinking is messing with my risk assessment skills here... 🤔

Maybe I am not understanding what DLR is saying, but I would not buy Disney tickets if there was no guarantee of admission. I would have paid for plane tickets and then sit in my hotel room hoping I can get in sometime during the time I am there. That does not make sense for guests coming from a distance.
Ideally you would buy your tickets and be able to see the reservation calendar to see what park is still open. Then you would reserve your dates and be set.

Also, a wholly, unused ticket still retains its value after it expires. You'll just need to go to Guest Services to pay any difference in price for a current ticket.

Seems to me that the worst risks are both bars/clubs and churches. I remember reading an article recently commenting on new hot spots in both churches and strip clubs with “the virus doesn’t care if you’re a sinner or a saint.” One single church service in Frankfurt, Germany in late March yielded more than 100 infections—in a country with an infection rate that is less than a third of that in the US, and in which face coverings and distancing are far less politicized. Large groups indoors are a huge risk factor, even if people are trying to spread out. Research has shown that singing puts others around you at higher risk of infection than speaking, since we breathe more deeply when we sing. As far as bars go, close quarters and the lowered inhibitions we find with usage of alcoholic beverages seem to be another bad combination.

Compared to these high risk places, I don’t think theme parks that have lots of outdoor spaces, especially with attendance caps as well as consistently enforced rules about distancing and face coverings, are that bad of a risk.

Who knows, though... maybe my longing for the parks and subsequent wishful thinking is messing with my risk assessment skills here... 🤔
Indoor, close quarters, and no face masks (i.e., bars, house parties, etc.) seem to be the most dangerous settings for spread. Though, there are indications that crowding at the protests contributed significantly to the current spikes even though they were outdoors and many people wore masks. At this point, I will be shocked if DL opens on July 17 and will probably faint dead away if any theme park opens next week. The optics of opening DL when California is hitting new daily records (more than 7,000 cases today) would be truly awful. Florida is in perhaps an even a worse situation, but since they’ve already started reopening, it is harder to go backwards than in California where reopening hasn’t begun.

My prediction is that the theme parks *might* get approval to reopen August 1, and that if they do, it will be economic considerations related to expiring unemployment benefits that tips the scale rather than epidemiological considerations.

I hope I’m wrong and everyone laughs at this post later, though.

I see that DisneyWorld has been open for reservations for the last few days. With Disneyland opening just a few days after DisneyWorld, I would have thought we would have seen some sort of announcement on what that reservation system will entail and dates for when it will open. Has anyone heard anything on that realm? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything.

On the WDW site, you don’t need any tickets linked to you to view Park Entrance Availability through September 2021.

There’s an Availability Calendar, by month, which shows if All Parks are available or some parks are available and the parks are listed. Disney is making the calendar as straightforward as possible to assist guests with planning.

With the way cases are “spiking” I really cant see anything new (aka Theme Parks) being allowed to open. Just not practical or safe.

Locally (rural NorCal) doctors are saying they would like us to move back to at least Stage 2 if not full shutdown. I honestly can’t see that happening but it is not completely out of the question. Come on people you know what to do - DO IT!

If I had Josh's ear - guests doing this -- I would have police on-site ready to detain and process charges for assault and the guest banned for life from all parks.

Edit - poor decisions and actions have personal consequences in the private company world. When you're on Disney property, it's not public space. People forget this.
That is absolutely incredible. What in the world are people thinking? I hope they person is prosecuted.
All that happened was Security made the spitter leave DSprings. That’s somewhat typical as CMs are dissuaded from pressing battery charges.

With not all Orange County residents believing they should be told to wear masks, it’d be best to avoid maskless guests who are conversing with CMs.

I wish Disney would take this seriously and press charges. As a guest, I need to know they are taking the guidelines seriously and treating their employees properly. It's shameful and far from magical that they don't press charges against people like this.

I wish Disney would take this seriously and press charges. As a guest, I need to know they are taking the guidelines seriously and treating their employees properly. It's shameful and far from magical that they don't press charges against people like this.
I so, so agree with you!! I understand that they worry about how they come across in the press if they truly hold somebody like that responsible for his actions and take him to court, but not taking legal action against somebody like that seems to minimize and trivialize what he did and could potentially inspire, empower, and encourage other self-centered jerks, who feel that they have a right (or even obligation) to jeopardize the safety of others to make a point.

My feeling is that we’ll hear details on Friday. DW made their announcement last Friday and since we open approximately a week after they do, that makes sense. Not that everything in the world makes sense.

We've got to hear from the governor that they are really going to be able to open yet before they will open up reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter