Disneyland Divas working out, getting healthy, and looking fine in '09!!

mommaU4

DIS Veteran
OKay ladies, here we go!! Our own WISH thread. :banana: princess:

Since there seemed to be a real interest on our trip thread towards getting healthy and losing weight, I thought this would be a great place where we can come hang out to support and cheer each other on!! :cheer2:

It doesn't have to be only about weight loss either. If you need some encouragement with an exercise program, or if you've already reached your goal weight and just need help staying there, or whatever your personal challenge is, this is the place to find support.

Feel free to post as often as you need to. We can share tips, recipes, successes or frustrations.
It's not easy doing the "right thing" and getting and staying healthy. But together we can do this!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

"Success rests in having the courage and endurance and, above all, the will to become the person you are, however peculiar that may be. Then you will be able to say, 'I have found my hero and he (or she) is me.'"
Thank you Jen for this great quote!

clipdaisjog.gif
clipmingym.gif

General Tsao's Chicken
WW POINTS® Value: 6
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

You can enjoy this Asian classic once again by sauteing it, instead of deep-frying it. Serve it over rice to sop up every drop of the sauce.

Ingredients
• 3/4 cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
• 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 2 tsp peanut oil
• 2 medium scallion(s), chopped
• 2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or 1 dried chili pepper, minced
• 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 2 cup cooked white rice, kept hot
Instructions
• In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
• Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
• Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
• Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
Notes
• We renovated General Tsao's Chicken from 15 POINTS values to 6 POINTS values by:
o Cooking the chicken in a small amount of oil, instead of deep-frying it.
o Eliminating the egg that would have been used in batter-fried chicken.
o Using reduced-sodium chicken broth and soy sauce.

Hey Disneyland Divas!

Who wants to join me for a 5k Kick the Couch run/walk on Oct 11-12? This does not require any travel or registration fees. We can sign up a team as the Disneyland Divas and each chart our own 5k course in our respective necks of the woods which we will complete that weekend. See www.worldwidehalf.com for more info. No running experience required. Just a desire to get healthy and live life to the fullest! Training will be useful for future Disney trips, I promise.

Training program for the 5k here http://www.worldwidehalf.com/cgi-bin/wwhalf/training?id=288&realu=runjohnerun

We could start with that and, who knows, maybe there will be a Disneyland Marathon or Princess Marathon at WDW in our future...

Anyone care to join me? :cheer2:

Who's kickin' the couch?
grizbuzz (Jen)
disney-super-mom (Capri)

Well, I was thinking that maybe we can all share a little bit about our personal goals and/or weight loss history. IF you want.....

I'll go first.

I wasn't always overweight. In high school I was actually on the thin side. At 5'9" I weighed in around 120-125. I didn't start gaining weight until after I was married and had kids. Typical of a lot of women I guess, but still no excuse.

I kept gaining and gaining with each pregnancy and then I would lose a little but not much. Fast forward to today and I really need to lose about 100 lbs. :sad2: (And that won't even put me back to HS weight, but it will get me to around 150 which is good enough for me.)

I am a huge emotional eater. So that's one thing I'm working on changing. I do not like to exercise so that's another thing I need to work on. Also I am seriously addicted to Diet Pepsi, so I'm working on cutting back on that and drinking more water.

Slowly but surely I know this weight will come off. I've tried many times before and would quit after just a week or two, but this time I feel confident I can do it once and for all. I've lost 20 lbs since mid May so that's a start. :)

I've also just recently started posting with another group on here called the DISappearing Peeps. Plus I have a great group of friends on another board who've been inspiring me since the start. And now we have this thread!! The more support the better!!! :cheer2:

My goal right now is 15 lbs gone by Labor Day. Little goals like that work best for me since to focus on the big picture is a little overwhelming. LOL

Anyway, I guess that's about it for me. Just exercise more, and eat less is my main focus these days. Oh, and increasing that darn water intake.

I weigh in with the DISappearing Peeps on Fridays, so I'll probably just post my results here as well on that day. It helps to post it so I am held accountable for where I'm at and how I'm doing.

Hey Disneyland Divas!

Who wants to join me for a 5k Kick the Couch run/walk on Oct 11-12? This does not require any travel or registration fees. We can sign up a team as the Disneyland Divas and each chart our own 5k course in our respective necks of the woods which we will complete that weekend. See www.worldwidehalf.com for more info. No running experience required. Just a desire to get healthy and live life to the fullest! Training will be useful for future Disney trips, I promise.

Training program for the 5k here http://www.worldwidehalf.com/cgi-bin/wwhalf/training?id=288&realu=runjohnerun

We could start with that and, who knows, maybe there will be a Disneyland Marathon or Princess Marathon at WDW in our future...

Anyone care to join me? :cheer2:
Yay, you made it over here. :yay: I think that is so awesome you are running marathons!

I'm going to check out those links. I'm not sure I could handle a marathon anytime soon, but it's really cool to think that one day I might be able to!! And in the meantime, good for you!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm here!.....I'm here!

Thanks so much for getting this going Beth, and the link.:hug:

I'm all for the 5k Kick the Couch run/walk! That sounds like fun.:cool1:

Okay, here's my history.

I was thin as a little kid, a bit of a tomboy, and always very active, playing outside ALL THE TIME.....football, baseball, riding BMX bikes, soccer, basketball, ect. In junior high, highschool, and college, I was actually a fitness freak and did lots of running and weight training. I weighed 112 pounds soaking wet, 5'3" tall, and was a size 3-5.

Then I met my hubby at the age of 21, and my active lifestyle kinda went out the door. More huggy-huggy-kissy-kissy-eat-eat going on.:goodvibes I gained about 20 pounds at that time.

During our first five years of marriage, we never did use birth control (TMI-sorry), but we never got pregnant. So I took fertility drugs for 7 months, and unfortunately fertility drugs have a certain side effect.....weight gain. So, I gained another 15-20 pounds. Then I finally got pregnant and gained 40 more pounds during the pregnancy. Luckily most of the pregnancy weight was water weight, so I got back down to 165 lbs fairly quickly. But then I hit a brick wall.....for two years.:laughing:

I went on a strict diet, and lost ALL THE WEIGHT in 4-6 months, and was back down to 118 pounds. I kept it off for two years when suddenly SURPRISE.....I WAS PREGNANT?!?! But that's impossible?! Hmmmm, must've finally popped one egg out after 4 years, and BAM!:rotfl:

Well the surprise turned out to be another wonderful little boy, but the pregnancy brought all the weight back.

Since then, I've lost and gained 20 pounds several times. During my heavy times, one of which is right now, I hover around 175 pounds.

My ultimate goal is to get down to 125 pounds, but I'm with Beth on setting smaller goals during the journey, so I'd like to lose 10 pounds by the end of August.:thumbsup2

Hey Capri!! I'm glad you made it over and thanks for sharing your story. I know for myself the more honest I am, the more I feel accountable to everyone trying along with me, and I'm more willing to stick with it.

I love the "huggy-huggy-kissy-kissy-eat-eat" part. :lmao:

I think 10 lbs by end of August is a great goal! I know you can do it! :cheer2:

I'm in! I went on a bike ride with my husband last weekend, and I thought I was going to die! So not good........

I am new to the WISH board and feel this smaller thread is the thread for me. Can I join you all?

About me. . .

I was another one of those who was a skinny kid. I did ballet for 19 years and was always super active. . .lots of sports. Of course I also had the appetite of an athlete as well. When I quit dancing and other sports I didn't change my eating so I began packing on the weight, until I was eventually over 300 lbs. In April of 2003 I had Gastric Bypass Surgery and lost all my weight in 8 months, down to 126 lbs. Then continued to lose and got really skinny, tried to eat more to gain weight and couldn't so my surgeon stretched my stoma a little and voila. . .I was able to put on a bit of weight. . .except that a bit of weight has turned into 60 lbs that I desperately want to get rid of. . .that will put me at a normal weight.

My main weight loss issues are I work 12 hr shifts graveyard, never go to the gym I joined, spend lots of time on the computer when I am home and have been unmotivated for quite some time. (I would go into the details of the loss of motivation but that would take hours). Anyway, I could use the support. . .

Oh, and I am a single mom of a 15 year old son who LOVES all things Disney. . .

Welcome Super-Disney-Mom, Billy Fan and nurse.darcy :thumbsup2

So glad you're joining me on the Kick the Couch 5K Capri! :woohoo: Any other takers out there???

Now for my story...

I turned 38 this year and must admit feeling a tinge of that middle age angst. I felt a shift inside of me, a change of my perception of time. What do I mean by that? Well, I just felt or I guess I should say feel, that there's no better time than the present to get to those yet to be articulated dreams and aspirations that have been part of my future, my "some day." Gosh, I can't believe how quickly my kids are growing and time is passing. To put simply all of this rambling (blah blah blah blah blah), I feel like there is no time like the present to get to living my life to the fullest.

Unlike the rest of you ladies, I was not a skinny kid. Nor was I athletic. I was the chubby one Mom promised would some day lose her baby fat -- just as soon as I "blossomed." Well, it took me until about junior year of high school to "blossom," so I carry a lot of painful memories of being a little chunky all those formative years when I was called "rollie pollie" (and that was by my brother and dad :headache: ) . Good news of all this, is that I have never experienced being able to eat whatever I want and have "watching my weight" to some degree or another pretty much ingrained in me.

I've maintained a healthy-ish bodyweight (read: w/i BMI but by no means skinny) throughout my adult life, give or take 20 pounds. Except for those pregnancy years where I too put on the pounds. I signed up for weight watchers after my second pregnancy and lost my pregnancy weight. I can't say enough good things about WW and I actually am getting back to it now, and this time really working to eat more healthy, not just lose weight.

So back to my "seize the moment" goals for myself this year. Like I said, I've never been particularly athletic, so I've challenged myself to running a half marathon. I started training slowly back in April, just before the DL meet. Got a trainer to put together a training plan for me which was basically a lot of walking and a tiny bit of running for the first month and now I'm up to running 20 min to an hour every day, depending on the daily training schedule, and working with weights 2 times a week. Oh, I am in no way an athlete yet, but I am falling in love with running. It's just so nice to spend a 1/2 hour to an hour by myself on the road, listening to podcasts (I have recommendations, if you're interested). Good healthy time for myself which I cherish and hope to maintain!

I'll end my ramblings with a quote for you all from George Sheehan, a fellow runner,

"Success rests in having the courage and endurance and, above all, the will to become the person you are, however peculiar that may be. Then you will be able to say, 'I have found my hero and he (or she) is me.'"

I'm in! I went on a bike ride with my husband last weekend, and I thought I was going to die! So not good........

Oh man, I can't even remember the last time I was on a bike. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you are going to join us!! :cheer2:

I love reading everyone's story, and frankly I find all of you so inspirational!:grouphug:

Nurse Darcy, I'm with you on wanting to be involved in this smaller thread. When you're involved in a thread from early on, it's so much easier to connect with everyone. I'm not very physically active these days either and spend way too much time sitting on my behind in front of the computer, but I do like to go for walks, because......well, it's just nice to get out, enjoy the fresh air, smile and wave at the neighbors, see what's going on in the neighborhood, and clear my head. The fact that it's exercise is just a bonus. If I went for walks "just to get some exercise", I probably would hate going for walks. Ehh, it's kinda like a little reverse psychology on myself.:rotfl:

Jen - WOW, that's so great that you're running 20min-hour everyday!:yay: I haven't ran in years......my legs would probably buckle, and I don't know what in the heck I'd do with my bouncing girls.:laughing: I think I'll start with walking and possibly break into a slow jog from time to time, and then work my way up from there.

BillyFan - :lmao: Bike riding looks so easy and fun, and it was when we were kids, but now.....TORTURE. I haven't been on a bike since last year, when I too went on a bike ride (with my very in shape friend). It wasn't pretty or pleasant. I swear my legs were tired after only going 200 yeards, and the seat KILLED me.

I am new to the WISH board and feel this smaller thread is the thread for me. Can I join you all?

About me. . .

I was another one of those who was a skinny kid. I did ballet for 19 years and was always super active. . .lots of sports. Of course I also had the appetite of an athlete as well. When I quit dancing and other sports I didn't change my eating so I began packing on the weight, until I was eventually over 300 lbs. In April of 2003 I had Gastric Bypass Surgery and lost all my weight in 8 months, down to 126 lbs. Then continued to lose and got really skinny, tried to eat more to gain weight and couldn't so my surgeon stretched my stoma a little and voila. . .I was able to put on a bit of weight. . .except that a bit of weight has turned into 60 lbs that I desperately want to get rid of. . .that will put me at a normal weight.

My main weight loss issues are I work 12 hr shifts graveyard, never go to the gym I joined, spend lots of time on the computer when I am home and have been unmotivated for quite some time. (I would go into the details of the loss of motivation but that would take hours). Anyway, I could use the support. . .

Oh, and I am a single mom of a 15 year old son who LOVES all things Disney. . .

Absolutely you can join us!

Wow, you lost a lot after that surgery. And good for you for being ready to get back to a healthy weight!
I spend way too much time on the computer as well. :rolleyes1 But I'm setting the goal of exercising at least 4 days a week for 30 minutes. It's a start. And I know you can do this!!! We'll get you going!!! :thumbsup2 :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I saw your name on the list for the Mickey's Trick or Treat party right? Just think, between now and then how great it would be to lose some weight and look wonderful in some really cool Halloween costume. ;) :banana:

Are you following any program? Or have any small goals you've set for yourself?

Welcome Super-Disney-Mom, Billy Fan and nurse.darcy :thumbsup2

So glad you're joining me on the Kick the Couch 5K Capri! :woohoo: Any other takers out there???

Now for my story...

I turned 38 this year and must admit feeling a tinge of that middle age angst. I felt a shift inside of me, a change of my perception of time. What do I mean by that? Well, I just felt or I guess I should say feel, that there's no better time than the present to get to those yet to be articulated dreams and aspirations that have been part of my future, my "some day." Gosh, I can't believe how quickly my kids are growing and time is passing. To put simply all of this rambling (blah blah blah blah blah), I feel like there is no time like the present to get to living my life to the fullest.

I'll end my ramblings with a quote for you all from George Sheehan, a fellow runner,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing!! And for that great quote. I think I'll put that in the first post so we can all find it when we need to.

Good for you on deciding to live your life to the fullest. That's something we all need to be doing. And way to go on the running!!! That's awesome!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

BillyFan - :lmao: Bike riding looks so easy and fun, and it was when we were kids, but now.....TORTURE. I haven't been on a bike since last year, when I too went on a bike ride (with my very in shape friend). It wasn't pretty or pleasant. I swear my legs were tired after only going 200 yeards, and the seat KILLED me.
OMG, you just reminded me of when I was last on a bike!! DUH! It was just last month!! :rotfl2: Boy is my memory fading. LOL

We rented one of those family bikes with the benches, Surrey bikes I think they are called. Anyway, I thought it looked like so much fun and I figured how hard could it be with four of us pedaling. Ummmmm, yeah. It was harder then I thought. We had an hour rental and after just 30 minutes or so I was ready to quit. And I wasn't even having to do much work!!!!!! :sad2: :rolleyes:

So yeah, I'm definitely out of shape!!! :rotfl2:

Ladies, I just wanted to say for all of you to feel free to post here as often as you want, and whatever you want.

If you had a rough day, feel free to vent here. If your nervous about a BBQ or party coming up or that box of donuts a co-worker brought in, come here and talk about it.

If you want to post your goals, your exercise plans, your meal plans, some tips you've read, inspiring quotes of the day, whatever, go for it!!!

I did recently read that those who keep a food journal lose much more weight then those who don't. I can't remember the percentage but it was considerable. So guess what?? I now keep a food journal, and it really does help especially with my bad memory.

It's just a small notebook I bought that I keep in a cabinet in the kitchen and write down everything I eat.

Also since I'm already weighing in every Friday, I'll be posting that here and if anyone else wants to join me with Fridays as their weigh in day, that would be great. You don't have to post your weight if you dont' want to. It's all up to you on how much you want to share. :)

A food jounal is a really good idea. I really need one because my problem isn't eating too much at one sitting. I actually eat very small portions......but I eat those small portions throughout the day, so I guess that makes me kind of a grazer.

So far today:
3 Pepsi Ones (I don't drink coffee, so it's how I get my morning caffine)

Breakfast: Raw snap peas in the pods, fresh blueberris, fresh strawberries, iced tea. (I'm not really measuring amounts, but I'd say about a 1/2 cup of snap peas, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 4 fresh strawberries.)

And as usual, by the end of the day, I will have had about 3 quarts of iced tea. (I like it better than just plain water.)

Hi ladies! Just want to sub in so I don't lose the thread. I will post "my story" a little later . . . . it's very similar to Nurse Darcy in that I also had gastric bypass, lost a lost of weight and then gained back. See you all later!

A food jounal is a really good idea. I really need one because my problem isn't eating too much at one sitting. I actually eat very small portions......but I eat those small portions throughout the day, so I guess that makes me kind of a grazer.

So far today:
3 Pepsi Ones (I don't drink coffee, so it's how I get my morning caffine)

Breakfast: Raw snap peas in the pods, fresh blueberris, fresh strawberries, iced tea. (I'm not really measuring amounts, but I'd say about a 1/2 cup of snap peas, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 4 fresh strawberries.)

And as usual, by the end of the day, I will have had about 3 quarts of iced tea. (I like it better than just plain water.)
Hey Capri. My food journal has helped a lot. It took some getting used to, writing it all down, but now when I am preparing my meal, I just grab the notebook from the cabinet and jot it all down, the amounts and the calories. It doesn't take that long, it was just getting in the habit of doing it that took awhile. And I still forget sometimes, but I'm getting pretty good at it.

I've never had a Pepsi One, but I am so addicted to Diet Pepsi. Like you, I don't drink coffee either. But I'm desperately trying to cut back on the soda. I had a kidney stone once, OMG worst pain EVER. Felt like I was in freakin labor!!! :eek:
That really scared me so I'm trying to get into the water habit instead.

I detest water. But I know how important it is. So now I try to only have one or two DP's a day. At least you drink the iced tea. I don't even like that, so it's plain water for me. :rolleyes: yucko!

Your breakfast sounds good! I love fresh fruit.

Hi ladies! Just want to sub in so I don't lose the thread. I will post "my story" a little later . . . . it's very similar to Nurse Darcy in that I also had gastric bypass, lost a lost of weight and then gained back. See you all later!

Cheryl! I'm glad you made it over here. :hug:

Welcome Cheryl :cheer2:

I did recently read that those who keep a food journal lose much more weight then those who don't. I can't remember the percentage but it was considerable. So guess what?? I now keep a food journal, and it really does help especially with my bad memory.

It's just a small notebook I bought that I keep in a cabinet in the kitchen and write down everything I eat.

Also since I'm already weighing in every Friday, I'll be posting that here and if anyone else wants to join me with Fridays as their weigh in day, that would be great. You don't have to post your weight if you dont' want to. It's all up to you on how much you want to share. :)

Yes, yes, yes! I concur! I read this as well and it is absolutely the case with my own experience. I track all of my eating on Weight Watchers online, plus what I exercise, and the online program tells me how many "points" I have left, how I'm following the healthy eating guidelines and how many extra points I earn by running. I like the points better than calorie counting, as they account for fiber, etc -- so it's really a more healthy way to look at food. This running is giving me lots of extra points to eat (and I eat them all!) - almost as many as I got when I was nursing.

I'm weighing in on Mondays with WW. But I could do Fridays here as well. I'm not really targeting losing lbs right now - just eating right and getting trained for my 1/2 marathon. More keeping track of my exercise time. So can we track that too? But dropping a dress size would always be a nice bonus!

Foodwise today I've had:

Breakfast: oatmeal with ground flax seeds (keeps the tummy full and provides lots of OMEGA 3 whatevers), strawberries, sugar free Smuckers syrup

Lunch: One egg plus two egg white omelette with shallots, olive oil, tomatoes, basil and low fat mozarella.

Haven't exercised yet. Scheduled to do a 20 minute run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter