DisneyGroom POV: Heather and John's Wishes Wedding 10/24/12- Hallowedding LOA Signed!

You know it's just a thought, but if you have a 12.00 ceremony. I can't see you making the pre-reception by 1.00pm. You have to allow for staged exits, photos and the actual logistics fo getting your guests from the ceremony site to the pre-reception. If I were you, I would push the pre-reception back by 30 - 45 minutes at least.

We had a 5 hour reception and I thought it was too short. :laughing: But then again we didn't do a DP the same day and the cake was at the reception.

How about this timeline:

12-12:30 :: Ceremony
12:30-1:30 break, transport time to pre-reception, photos - you could even include guests in the photos!

1:30 - 3pm :: Pre-Reception (that way you might actually get to go to some of this.)
3:30-7:30 pm Reception
8:00 - 10pm :: DP (have a longer DP!)

Just a thought. Good luck!

I hope everything works out John! I just wanted to say I hopped on the Apple Iphoto website because the book looked fantastic, and I saw they have an awesome calendar that I'm going to use..thanks for showing us your ideas!

You know it's just a thought, but if you have a 12.00 ceremony. I can't see you making the pre-reception by 1.00pm. You have to allow for staged exits, photos and the actual logistics fo getting your guests from the ceremony site to the pre-reception. If I were you, I would push the pre-reception back by 30 - 45 minutes at least.

Heather says the Pre-reception is something we should be having, so we could see this working...

We had a 5 hour reception and I thought it was too short. :laughing: But then again we didn't do a DP the same day and the cake was at the reception.

How about this timeline:

12-12:30 :: Ceremony
12:30-1:30 break, transport time to pre-reception, photos - you could even include guests in the photos!

1:30 - 3pm :: Pre-Reception (that way you might actually get to go to some of this.)
3:30-7:30 pm Reception
8:00 - 10pm :: DP (have a longer DP!)

Just a thought. Good luck!

This is a really good idea. We actually included this scenario in the list of options. I wasn't keen on having a longer pre-reception, but it beats sending people home (which is an option we thought of). The longer DP is something we considered as well. But, we aren't sure if it's going to be long and drawn out or even possibly boring after an hour and still no fireworks until 9.

I hope everything works out John! I just wanted to say I hopped on the Apple Iphoto website because the book looked fantastic, and I saw they have an awesome calendar that I'm going to use..thanks for showing us your ideas!

Thank you!! the iPhoto products are soooo awesome. A little pricey .... okay, very pricey, but it's an awesome product they deliver on. The pictures online don't do the justice of how great the book actually came out.

Okay, okay, so the last part of the title isn't true :lmao:, however it does seem like that.

This whole 2:30 time has bugged us sooooooo much. I can't explain how much it bothers me we need to "compromise" and pick a time we don't want.

During work, I spend my 4 hours overtime writing out scenarios for the different times that are available to us for 10/10. Here they are:

Option 1 - IF 12:00 Ceremony

Ceremony: 12-12:30pm
Reception: 1-5pm
Dessert Party 8:30-10pm

In this case, at 5:30, guests would be heading back to the resort to change into more comfortable clothes for the DP.

5:30, Guests go back
7:30, Guests leave by bus to come back to GF for DP
8:15, Guests approx. arrive for DP

Option 2 - IF 12:00 Ceremony

Reception: 1-4pm
Dessert Party 8:00-10pm

In this case, at 4:30, guests would be heading back to the resort to change into more comfortable clothes for the DP. Gives guests a little more time to feel relaxed and get ready. It's a 3 hour reception.

4:30, Guests go back
7:00, Guests leave by bus to come back to GF for DP
7:45, Guests approx. arrive for DP

Option 3 - IF 12:00 Ceremony

Pre-Reception: 1-2:00pm
Reception: 2:30-6:30pm
Dessert Party 8:30-10pm

In this case, It's a non stop flow from point to point. However a 2 hour break in between reception to DP. It doesn't give any time for changing, so we would have to find a way to keep guests entertained.

Option 4 - IF 12:00 Ceremony

Photos with everyone: 12:30-1:00pm
Pre-Reception: 1:30-3:00pm
Reception: 3:30-7:30pm
Dessert Party 8-10pm

As an option provided by a DISer, we could take pics with everyone in the wedding since we may have a smaller wedding size, and it gets everyone together. However, a 2 hour DP may be too long after a long day already.

Option 5 - IF 5:00pm Ceremony

Ceremony: 5-5:30pm
Reception: 6-8:30pm
Dessert Party 9-10:30pm

One of my groomsmen suggested since we want a dinner reception, do a 2.5 hour reception and go right to the DP. Ehh, it's a different idea, but I don't think I want to rush our guests out of the reception and into the DP so quick.

SO, after all that, I come out of the blue telling Heather we could just change the date. I thought I would have been shot down, however to my surprise, she agreed, in fact, she was thinking about it as well. So, we thought, another meaningful date was 10/24. It was the date we both said we loved each other. So it's possible. It's also a good time since it's Halloween, also that it's Football in late October, so I could take the groomsmen to ESPN Zone on a Monday and have a guys night out. OR, since it's the time the World Series is on, we would be able to see a game there. (GO PHILLIES!).

But, then last night, that thought changed. I suggested maybe 10/17... just a random date. Either way, I emailed Bill the ideas. No reply yet, but, I may be driving him crazy with 3 email in 2 days all with different suggestions and options. At the end, I asked him to just send us a list of each date in October that has a 2:30 time slot available. We'll go from there.

I'm not feeling noon ceremony since it becomes a LONG day, and sending people back to their resort isn't cool. And 5pm seems to rush everything. I don't want to rush that day. I don't know. I just want that 2:30 time slot. Why is it so difficult?!

i'm glad you guys agreed about switching the date! it would have been tough if one of you were "for" it and one wasn't.

hopefully you get an answer back soon and can compromise on a date!! good luck!!!

Sometimes switching the date makes everything go easier if you get what you want. Plus if the date you get married on doesn't hold a special meaning, it gets to have it's own special meaning for you and Heather...

i'm glad you guys agreed about switching the date! it would have been tough if one of you were "for" it and one wasn't.

hopefully you get an answer back soon and can compromise on a date!! good luck!!!

Thank you! I'm starting to get nervous with the 5 days without a reply yet. Hmmmm.. it's just a simple question. Not re-imagineering EPCOT over here, ya know?!

Sometimes switching the date makes everything go easier if you get what you want. Plus if the date you get married on doesn't hold a special meaning, it gets to have it's own special meaning for you and Heather...

EXACTLY! It's what one of my groomsmen said. Which is why I'm totally open to see all the dates available. We shouldn't have to settle for just anytime open. We want our time, and by golly, we'll get what we want!!

I hope you get a reply soon.

Just to add my POV, I was like you wanting the DP to flow from the reception (both were at the GF so no transport needed) so I had just an hour gap in between with the idea that people could walk round the GF or just sit in the lobby enjoying the music until the DP but my reception over-ran by half an hour (it was only supposed to be 2 hours as I was an escape bride) at the DP nobody ate anything as everyone was still full from dinner so bewhere of over ordering on food.

I hope you get a reply soon.

Just to add my POV, I was like you wanting the DP to flow from the reception (both were at the GF so no transport needed) so I had just an hour gap in between with the idea that people could walk round the GF or just sit in the lobby enjoying the music until the DP but my reception over-ran by half an hour (it was only supposed to be 2 hours as I was an escape bride) at the DP nobody ate anything as everyone was still full from dinner so bewhere of over ordering on food.

I guess it is the one thing in the back of my mind. If we did a 2:30, it would flow as such:

Ceremony: 2:30 - 3:00pm
Pre-Reception: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Reception: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
DP: 8:30pm - 10:00pm

We haven't touched the menu ideas yet, but it's something on our mind. I don't think I want to worry about that though as much as I am for the time slot.

Over the last few days I've been listening to family members give me different excuses why either they couldn't stay long down that week or which resorts they may or may not be able to stay at. I understood way before that they weren't going to stay at the GF even for a night. It just wasn't going to happen. Not that my family is cheap.... just they don't have the $350+ a night. I don't blame them. However for certain members saying they don't even know if they could afford more than 1 night at Pop Century, got me starting to worry.

So, as the crazy thinker that I am... I was thinking of how I could incorporate the whole family in an experience they haven't been accustomed to at Disney ever. My family has been there many times... The last time we ALL went together was in 1998, and while it was probably better the first time we all went (in 1996), we never have gone to a family Disney vacation since.

Again, this wedding is about our guests... just like how Disney would entertain their guests. But I also want it GRAND and something real special. So, I looked up DVC rentals and what it would take to put the family in there. After hours of researching, I think I found what I want to do....

Bay Lake Tower, Grand Villa, Magic View. Yes! That's it! I saw the video on Youtube, and with 3 bedrooms (6 beds), 4 bathrooms, it's monstrous. It's also the best view for fireworks and Magic Kingdom. I saw the price... Yikes.. for the week down in October... approx. $5500 for 5 nights. I have 12 people in the family, so we fit EXACTLY the max. When divided out, it's $91/per person/night. HOWEVER........

There is a crazy side of me.. I want to do something special and without any doubts from the members. I'm thinking of giving it as a christmas gift to the family this year. I can explain the experience, how they could all get accommodations for no cost, just have to pay for travel and tickets (which most of my family won't do, b/c the wedding will be majority of their trip). It would be a huge decrease in their expense and I would feel much better knowing they are all together without worrying. Also, it would be a LOT easier for transportation, which saves money for us, and we could meet up quicker and easier.

Heather didn't like my idea, quickly shooting me down... while I understand her not being pleased that we'd eat a $5500 bill for my family, I know it's for the good, and it's for family. I wouldn't do it for anyone else.

Anyways.. too excited about the BLT Grand Villa (OH, and it HAS to be Magic View). Maybe I can get a better price on points so I can get it under $5000.... hmmm...

the grand villas are pretty sweet, but i think you would get more beds out of 2 2-BR villas and it's a couple dollars cheaper (just did the math if you do points). if you get them as a lock off... then it would be like you had your own villa with your DF if you kept the door shut. (did that make sense?)

if you do rent points, you need to hunt someone out now that will hold them for you and make the reservation at exactly 11 months--the MK view books fast!! what are the dates you're going?? i'm bored... i'll run some numbers.

i can see her point of view of spending the $$ for others, but if you really want them to be there... i would do it. i think i'm going to get park tickets for a few christmas presents or make the deposit on their rooms.

If I were your FI, my big issue would be spending such a large chunk of money helping out the family. I know you want them there, but if they can't afford it there are MUCH cheaper options for helping them out than dropping $5.5k when you already have to pay for a wedding.

Admittedly, I know nothing about your family dynamics or their their situation, so that may play in to this as well, but just from the information provided, I feel that I would be upset as well if I were your FI.

Also, I would be careful about listening to the reasons your family are giving. If they're saying they can't come for money reasons, then paying for their stay will help, but if they have work, no vacation time, or other obligations then spending so much money to pay for their stay may be in vain, and may put them in the awkward situation of having to turn down such a generous gift.

I hope you get the date sorted out and get the time you want! :goodvibes

Also, just a thought, I had a 2 hour DP and it flew by. People didn't seem bored at all. Particularly after a few drinks. :rotfl: Also, some people were late, so having the 8-10 pm slot built in some cushion. But then again, my DP was the day before, so not everyone was coming from the same place (like your guests would be) and they hadn't just had a ceremony and reception beforehand.

Good luck with the planning!

PS: the grand villa sounds awesome! I want to stay in BLT someday!

If I were your FI, my big issue would be spending such a large chunk of money helping out the family. I know you want them there, but if they can't afford it there are MUCH cheaper options for helping them out than dropping $5.5k when you already have to pay for a wedding.

Admittedly, I know nothing about your family dynamics or their their situation, so that may play in to this as well, but just from the information provided, I feel that I would be upset as well if I were your FI.

Also, I would be careful about listening to the reasons your family are giving. If they're saying they can't come for money reasons, then paying for their stay will help, but if they have work, no vacation time, or other obligations then spending so much money to pay for their stay may be in vain, and may put them in the awkward situation of having to turn down such a generous gift.

I agree with this. I mean, it's not just a hotel your family has to pay for--- it's also plane tickets and food, etc, etc. And five nights is a long time--- and expenses at disney for 5 nights add up quickly, as I'm sure you know! I think if you were to do this then you should just ask your family first. I know it might be an awkward conversation (and maybe you were planning on asking them first anyway!), but definitely a necessary one.

I would also think about you and your DF--- are you two going to want to be in the same "room" with your family after your wedding? Just another thing to consider! I do, however, think this is VERY sweet, and very nice of you to even think about offering.

the grand villas are pretty sweet, but i think you would get more beds out of 2 2-BR villas and it's a couple dollars cheaper (just did the math if you do points). if you get them as a lock off... then it would be like you had your own villa with your DF if you kept the door shut. (did that make sense?)

if you do rent points, you need to hunt someone out now that will hold them for you and make the reservation at exactly 11 months--the MK view books fast!! what are the dates you're going?? i'm bored... i'll run some numbers.

i can see her point of view of spending the $$ for others, but if you really want them to be there... i would do it. i think i'm going to get park tickets for a few christmas presents or make the deposit on their rooms.

OMG, so sorry... I work second shift, so I had just missed your message. The point total is 424 for Grand Villa during the week. For more information on the calculation, wait for my next posting... it's BIG! I'm not sure I follow about the lock off? Is that where conjoining doors are locked?

I know I need to find someone quick. I think if I choose to go through with this, I'll need to find someone ASAP.

The issues are about vacation time or work/school, etc. They are super excited about going. Their biggest fear is cost of vacation. They won't be getting park tickets since most of them have been there almost every other year and there is plenty of other things to do.......including the wedding of course :thumbsup2. Cost of transportation is high, but they understand it's not too much compared to resort costs. And as much as worried they are, they are extremely excited and can't wait to go. I couldn't be happier for that fact, and is one of the major reasons I want to make it special for my family.

I hope you get the date sorted out and get the time you want! :goodvibes

Also, just a thought, I had a 2 hour DP and it flew by. People didn't seem bored at all. Particularly after a few drinks. :rotfl: Also, some people were late, so having the 8-10 pm slot built in some cushion. But then again, my DP was the day before, so not everyone was coming from the same place (like your guests would be) and they hadn't just had a ceremony and reception beforehand.

Good luck with the planning!

PS: the grand villa sounds awesome! I want to stay in BLT someday!

Thank you!! I love the Grand Villa. It's SOOOO AWESOME!!!! The 2 hour DP is definitely considered. Actually, I have some HUGE news coming soon. I'll be posting about that later.

I agree with this. I mean, it's not just a hotel your family has to pay for--- it's also plane tickets and food, etc, etc. And five nights is a long time--- and expenses at disney for 5 nights add up quickly, as I'm sure you know! I think if you were to do this then you should just ask your family first. I know it might be an awkward conversation (and maybe you were planning on asking them first anyway!), but definitely a necessary one.

I would also think about you and your DF--- are you two going to want to be in the same "room" with your family after your wedding? Just another thing to consider! I do, however, think this is VERY sweet, and very nice of you to even think about offering.

I started to plant the seeds on the idea of everyone "rooming" together. To my surprise, they all like the idea. I even mentioned the Villa (sorta) to them, and they all agreed that it would be a price decrease then going in (lets say) Pop Century in all separate rooms. Plus it's easy for everyone getting together or getting to the wedding. They see it as a cost savings to them, and don't mind staying together. All the good in making this an awesome christmas gift to them. Big cost savings in their eyes, and when they're down there, they'll never want to go to a Value resort again! ;)

A Disney Wedding in late October!!!

YES! It's official. I received an email from Bill during my lunch break, and while looking at the first few words, I read "Good news". I was excited! I couldn't wait to read, but so very nervous. Our first alternate date was accepted and available for a 2:30 ceremony!!!!!!!!!! :cool1:

Super cool in fact, that now we can start the real planning stuff and the stress of finding a date and time are over.

October 24, 2012

A few stats about 10/24/12:
  1. It was the date we both first said we loved each other. AKA: The Hawaii Incident.
  2. It's Halloween themed in Disney!
  3. It's going to be a little cooler in temperature.
  4. The World Series should be playing that week (Go Phillies!)

We are super excited about this milestone. Sure, it's only a date. But to go through 2 months of agonizing pain in getting the date and time, this works out best for us!

In other news, I am still saying yes to the whole idea of BLT for the family. I think Heather understands my wish for family to be together. We're Italian, and while that doesn't mean anything different, we are just close, and I wouldn't want my family to go through hardships just for us. Again, this is all for them (okay, for us, but you know ;)).

Wow. So that means you and Heather on the 24th, K80K on the 25th, and me on the 26th! How crazy and fun.

Congrats on picking a new date and it working out! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!