• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Genie+ No longer sold pre-arrival, subject to availability

You can't really compare housing prices being "inferior" to a product that has changed over the years, it isn't really an apples to apples comparison. In one case you're not really saying housing prices are inferior, you're really just saying they're more expensive. Considering inflation makes everything more expensive, you can basically say everything is "inferior" to what it used to be because it is more expensive. It doesn't really work for a comparison, and this isn't just about prices going up at Disney...

Disney in general in the past few years has made mostly consumer unfriendly changes to improve their profits. You haven't really seen many consumer friendly changes. It isn't like Disney was losing money either, these changes were about squeezing more money out of consumers.

I can name quite a few changes they've made that have reduced or taken away perks... whether competitors were doing these things or not, you can't say these were positive changes for customers.

1. Charging for parking at resorts.
2. Magicbands no longer included in resort stay
3. Fastpass+ no longer included with ticket purchase
4. Early Morning Magic Hour reduced to 30 mins
5. Evening Magic Hours reduced to Deluxe resorts only
6. Disney's Magical Express no longer available / included
7. Package delivery / sending to front of park no longer available ("Virtual" lockers at a price are available though)
8. Resort airline checkin / luggage delivery
9. Reduced food portions (but thinner waistlines I guess?)

I'm sure I'm missing some other changes ... these are all slowly making the WDW product inferior to what it was and prices are still rising.

This isn't about nostalgia, or "old people" who will soon no longer be Disney's customers, these perks were all there just a few years ago.

Currently demand is outstripping supply - so from a bottom line perspective, it isn't hurting Disney in the short term. But will it hurt them in the long run? If Disney were smart, they would be planning to increase the supply by building a 5th gate at WDW or building a whole new park somewhere in the USA.

I do think that with Universal building a massive new park in the Orlando area that it may present some challenges for Disney World. With little to no perks for staying at a Disney resort, could guests choose a hotel that is cheaper and in between Disney and Universal? Could people start to spend more of their time in Orlando at Universal instead of Disney?

But of course, it wouldn't be that hard for Disney to bring back just a few of the perks they took away to win back some guests.

You can't really compare housing prices being "inferior" to a product that has changed over the years, it isn't really an apples to apples comparison. In one case you're not really saying housing prices are inferior, you're really just saying they're more expensive. Considering inflation makes everything more expensive, you can basically say everything is "inferior" to what it used to be because it is more expensive. It doesn't really work for a comparison, and this isn't just about prices going up at Disney...

Disney in general in the past few years has made mostly consumer unfriendly changes to improve their profits. You haven't really seen many consumer friendly changes. It isn't like Disney was losing money either, these changes were about squeezing more money out of consumers.

I can name quite a few changes they've made that have reduced or taken away perks... whether competitors were doing these things or not, you can't say these were positive changes for customers.

7. Package delivery / sending to front of park no longer available ("Virtual" lockers at a price are available though)

I'm sure I'm missing some other changes ... these are all slowly making the WDW product inferior to what it was and prices are still rising.

This isn't about nostalgia, or "old people" who will soon no longer be Disney's customers, these perks were all there just a few years ago.

Currently demand is outstripping supply - so from a bottom line perspective, it isn't hurting Disney in the short term. But will it hurt them in the long run? If Disney were smart, they would be planning to increase the supply by building a 5th gate at WDW or building a whole new park somewhere in the USA.

I do think that with Universal building a massive new park in the Orlando area that it may present some challenges for Disney World. With little to no perks for staying at a Disney resort, could guests choose a hotel that is cheaper and in between Disney and Universal? Could people start to spend more of their time in Orlando at Universal instead of Disney?

But of course, it wouldn't be that hard for Disney to bring back just a few of the perks they took away to win back some guests.
I agree on the 5th gate. They could expand HS too.

Doesn’t matter if I’m outnumber lol. Disneys still going to do what they want regardless of you, me or anyone else agrees. I don’t state my opinion here for anyones justification - I am quite indifferent to anyone agreeing with me or not on this anonymous forum.

You need to understand how supply and demand correlate to one another. Which by this statement I don’t think you do. Disney isn’t backpedaling. They’re dealing with a demand problem.
People here are having a cathartic conversation about how stressful and frustrating this product is /is becoming vs. what we have been used to in previous years - I don't think the rhetoric about supply and demand and comments about how Disney is "going to do what they want regardless of you" is necessary or helpful. That's nice if that's what Disney, as a corporation, is doing; right now customers/fans are talking about how they feel these decisions will potentially impact their current or future vacations - customers who have spent fortunes at these parks. And guess what - many business decisions based on simplistic concepts fail. Because it has to filter down to the end-user eventually. What you think makes total business sense can still suck big time for the customer - and if there is negativity from the customer-base, you didn't succeed. There is a lot more to take into account. Again, good experience-based products meant for the consumer take into account the customer experience and customer perspective. How does that happen? By customers talking.... If you're telling me that Disney isn't concerned about the customer experience or brand loyalty, then it's actually a positive thing that we're all here expressing ourselves - because Disney SHOULD be caring about these things. It's good business. Even "luxury" brands are subject to social opinion. Perhaps let people talk now.

People here are having a cathartic conversation about how stressful and frustrating this product is /is becoming vs. what we have been used to in previous years - I don't think the rhetoric about supply and demand and comments about how Disney is "going to do what they want regardless of you" is necessary or helpful. That's nice if that's what Disney, as a corporation, is doing; right now customers/fans are talking about how they feel these decisions will potentially impact their current or future vacations - customers who have spent fortunes at these parks. And guess what - many business decisions based on simplistic concepts fail. Because it has to filter down to the end-user eventually. What you think makes total business sense can still suck big time for the customer - and if there is negativity from the customer-base, you didn't succeed. There is a lot more to take into account. Again, good experience-based products meant for the consumer take into account the customer experience and customer perspective. How does that happen? By customers talking.... If you're telling me that Disney isn't concerned about the customer experience or brand loyalty, then it's actually a positive thing that we're all here expressing ourselves - because Disney SHOULD be caring about these things. It's good business. Even "luxury" brands are subject to social opinion. Perhaps let people talk now.
We can all have our opinions and we don’t have to agree. I have a more pragmatic approach. I don’t think genie+ is stressful but I don’t discount others who think it is. I just don’t find it particularly helpful to complain about something that hasn’t even been announced yet.

It goes both ways. And all you’re suggesting is to silence someone who’s opinion doesn’t match the others.

Yup! Exactly the point I was alluding to when mentioning brand loyalty/repeat customers.
We can all have our opinions and we don’t have to agree. I have a more pragmatic approach. I don’t think genie+ is stressful but I don’t discount others who think it is. I just don’t find it particularly helpful to complain about something that hasn’t even been announced yet.

It goes both ways. And all you’re suggesting is to silence someone who’s opinion doesn’t match the others.
On the contrary, you've made your point countless times to many people's posts - we hear you. We hear that you support Disney's business decision and that you like it. You don't need to reply to everyone who feels differently and state the same thing again. And you say pragmatic? Which by definition means thinking sensibility and realistically. Sensible and realistic belong to the category of customers who don't want to pay more for/ or enjoy inferior products or service. And there was an announcement - that customers would no longer be able to buy Genie+ in advance and that it would be subject to availability. It's not theoretical - they are intentions stated by Disney. Therefore, individuals are having a discussion about how they feel about said announcement and how it might impact them personally and their own vacation planning.

Yup! Exactly the point I was alluding to when mentioning brand loyalty/repeat customers.

On the contrary, you've made your point countless times to many people's posts - we hear you. We hear that you support Disney's business decision and that you like it. You don't need to reply to everyone who feels differently and state the same thing again. And you say pragmatic? Which by definition means thinking sensibility and realistically. Sensible and realistic belong to the category of customers who don't want to pay more for/ or enjoy inferior products or service. And there was an announcement - that customers would no longer be able to buy Genie+ in advance and that it would be subject to availability. It's not theoretical - they are intentions stated by Disney. Therefore, individuals are having a discussion about how they feel about said announcement and how it might impact them personally and their own vacation planning.
Then they shouldn’t reply to me. Similarly we’ve heard all of theirs - why aren’t you telling them to be quiet too? You don’t get to silence someone who has a dissenting opinion to yours because you don’t want to hear it. Scroll by.

Yes pragmatic. Sensible. Based in reality. Which is not the emotional reaction that everyone else is having.

Disney seems to be oblivious to what is brewing up the street. Universal having a third major park is going to be a threat, especially since they are building IPs that will really appeal to the kids. We didn't take the kids until the youngest hit around 10 because there wasn't anything for her. But Universal has slowly widened the age gap for it's attractions. They have enough land that Epic could end up with a sister park putting Universal at 4 major parks.

What is Disney doing to prepare for this? Making their parks complicated and stressful. Making their resorts extremely over priced - in a city full of resorts. We have already moved offsite and often stay between the two or on a roadway that is an easy shot to Universal (we still spend more days at Disney parks, but less than we used to). After being committed to Disney resorts for years the removal of most perks and the addition of "security checks" (we had bad experience), I decided we would get more value elsewhere.

Disclaimer: We booked Disney for 3 nights for advance purchase of MNSSHP tickets and the bus ride after. Strangely AS Sports was same price as best deal at hotels I like offsite.

Brand loyalty and repeat customers (aka annual passholders) are what got Disney through recessions, post 9/11 and other difficult times. We did that even though we paid more than market rate for hotel rooms, got no rewards points each visit and more. I think one thing COVID did was have many of us evaluating everything we do, what we spend, where we see value, what gives us joy ... Disney had already begun dropping perks before COVID and now after they just seem to keep biting the hands that feed them.

Then they shouldn’t reply to me. Similarly we’ve heard all of theirs - why aren’t you telling them to be quiet too? You don’t get to silence someone who has a dissenting opinion to yours because you don’t want to hear it. Scroll by.

Yes pragmatic. Sensible. Based in reality. Which is not the emotional reaction that everyone else is having.
Because nobody else is replying to everyone's individual posts with the same comments in the manner that you are...

Pragmatic....You DO understand that emotion is what drives customers to purchase and make decisions on your product - yes? It is THE most powerful motive for a customer. It's fantastic that people are having emotional reactions. It's what customers do. You're looking at it from the perspective of an executive in the ivory tower. It's not pragmatic. If you like all of this - that's great! But you don't need to lecture people about supply and demand and such. You would never do that to customers who are unhappy with the service and product.

Because nobody else is replying to everyone's individual posts with the same comments in the manner that you are...

Pragmatic....You DO understand that emotion is what drives customers to purchase and make decisions on your product - yes? It is THE most powerful motive for a customer. It's fantastic that people are having emotional reactions. It's what customers do. You're looking at it from the perspective of an executive in the ivory tower. It's not pragmatic. If you like all of this - that's great! But you don't need to lecture people about supply and demand and such. You would never do that to customers who are unhappy with the service and product.
Actually, I shouldn't even say that because most of the executives I've worked for at big brand names understand the value of customer emotion.

Not just my opinion. And my wager is that you are greatly outnumbered. Folks that have been around a long time and spending lots of time at the parks, and here, bring valid issues to the conversation about this particular product. It needs work.

I think Disney is fully aware of this which is why there is scrambling on both coasts and they are already back pedaling the product.
They are fully aware there is problems with Genie+. The biggest one is that more people bought it then expected. There will be charges but it's not going back to the advanced booking days. Other then people here, the majority hated the amount of planning.

Disney seems to be oblivious to what is brewing up the street. Universal having a third major park is going to be a threat, especially since they are building IPs that will really appeal to the kids. We didn't take the kids until the youngest hit around 10 because there wasn't anything for her. But Universal has slowly widened the age gap for it's attractions. They have enough land that Epic could end up with a sister park putting Universal at 4 major parks.

What is Disney doing to prepare for this? Making their parks complicated and stressful. Making their resorts extremely over priced - in a city full of resorts. We have already moved offsite and often stay between the two or on a roadway that is an easy shot to Universal (we still spend more days at Disney parks, but less than we used to). After being committed to Disney resorts for years the removal of most perks and the addition of "security checks" (we had bad experience), I decided we would get more value elsewhere.

Disclaimer: We booked Disney for 3 nights for advance purchase of MNSSHP tickets and the bus ride after. Strangely AS Sports was same price as best deal at hotels I like offsite.

Brand loyalty and repeat customers (aka annual passholders) are what got Disney through recessions, post 9/11 and other difficult times. We did that even though we paid more than market rate for hotel rooms, got no rewards points each visit and more. I think one thing COVID did was have many of us evaluating everything we do, what we spend, where we see value, what gives us joy ... Disney had already begun dropping perks before COVID and now after they just seem to keep biting the hands that feed them.
I generally agree and understand your points. We've seen this movie before and the sequel related to Universal. I even remember the same complaints especially around the opening of the second Universal Park. I agree, Disney isn't exactly helping themselves right now in 2022, but we are talking 2025 before Universal Epic opens. While I agree that going too far on negative experiences could have long-term impacts, Disney isn't exactly suffering from a lack of attendance problem as of late either.

I generally agree and understand your points. We've seen this movie before and the sequel related to Universal. I even remember the same complaints especially around the opening of the second Universal Park. I agree, Disney isn't exactly helping themselves right now in 2022, but we are talking 2025 before Universal Epic opens. While I agree that going too far on negative experiences could have long-term impacts, Disney isn't exactly suffering from a lack of attendance problem as of late either.
A lot of the bump in attendance is still related to many making up for cancelled vacations.

I know Epic Universe doesn't open til 2025 but Disney doesn't have anything new on the horizon. The amount of time it takes them to build stuff I don't think anything big will be added til after Epic Universe.

Quick question...We already purchased our Disney package (hotel + park tickets). Can we go back and add Genie + to our park tickets now (i.e. if done before Jun 7)

Quick question...We already purchased our Disney package (hotel + park tickets). Can we go back and add Genie + to our park tickets now (i.e. if done before Jun 7)
Yes. But you might forfeit any discounts that you got on the package. You won't know until you call.

A lot of the bump in attendance is still related to many making up for cancelled vacations.

I know Epic Universe doesn't open til 2025 but Disney doesn't have anything new on the horizon. The amount of time it takes them to build stuff I don't think anything big will be added til after Epic Universe.
Don't disagree on the "revenge travel" and Disney is already doing / has done promotions for later in the year on their resorts to keep the good times rolling :). Separately, I would argue adding GoTG in a week and Tron (sometime later ...hopefully .... soon), Moana's World of Water (I assume in months) are new.

Agreed, These aren't new gates or massive expansions, but I think they qualify as something. This is also what we know about now, but they are detractors to the current experience (another source of complaints i.e. "WallCot"). So from Disney's perspective, they need to balance these things out as well.

Have the day you deserve!! 🤗

Definitely I agree they will keep tweaking Genie+ as it goes. If you consider VIP tours are at their cheapest ~$300 per person per day ($425 per hour * 7 hour minimum divided by 10 people = $297.50 per person), there is probably room for a mid-tier Genie+ offering at $50-150 per person per day. While I don't like the idea of having to pay more - consider that they could introduce a pre-arrival offering at a higher price with a limited supply that includes 1 ILL ride and maybe 2 Genie+ attractions and a guarantee of getting the rides you want. By making the supply highly limited, they could ensure availability. If the supply is depleted you then offer normal Genie+ to anyone who "missed out" at a cheaper $15-20 per person per day with higher supply but no guarantees. The higher tier could be offered to AP holders, DVC members and Deluxe resort guests for a discount.

Well - the suggestion in the changes is they will be limiting supply. So if they truly are going to limit supply, we should see changes in the Genie+ LL availability. I agree that if they limit supply, it will result in a price increase for Genie+ as well. Don't be surprised to see the price increase announcement occurring on or around June 8th when 2023 packages come out. Probably matching the price of Disneyland at $20 per person per day.
$20 would not be so bad if they also gave us memory maker for free as they do at Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter