Disney World Genie+ No longer sold pre-arrival, subject to availability

Liquidice

DIS Veteran
Details here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/genie/lightning-lane/#drawer-card-drawerRecommender

In Disney's first attempt to fix the problems that exist with Genie+ at WDW they are no longer selling Genie+ ahead of time starting June 8th, you will only be allowed to purchase day of and Genie+ will be subject to availability meaning it may be limited by the number of people buying Genie+.

I think this could be a really good thing if it is executed properly, especially with people not getting more than 1-2 Lightning Lanes per day.

The wording is still there however that 2-3 attractions or experiences per day is the average.

I guess it might be slightly more functional, a tiny bit more like Universal's Express Pass (which is actually awesome).

I guess it might be slightly more functional, a tiny bit more like Universal's Express Pass (which is actually awesome).

Yeah, maybe a little bit like Express pass? But express pass works because it is so expensive that most people don't choose to purchase it. Disney would need to make Genie+ significantly more expensive to have it work like Express pass imho.

If they can at least limit Genie+ so on crowded days all of the Lightning Lanes (other than the rides/entertainment with a short wait anyway) don't sell out before noon - that would certainly be a positive.

Yeah, maybe a little bit like Express pass? But express pass works because it is so expensive that most people don't choose to purchase it. Disney would need to make Genie+ significantly more expensive to have it work like Express pass imho.

If they can at least limit Genie+ so on crowded days all of the Lightning Lanes (other than the rides/entertainment with a short wait anyway) don't sell out before noon - that would certainly be a positive.
Disney has an express pass that sells out every single day. VIP tours. That is essentially what a VIP tour is.
I dont think there is anything Disney can really do about this problem except full on embrace the VIP tour price, ditch the human guide, and sell 1 entry per ride per day passes to people. $500 a head?

Disney has an express pass that sells out every single day. VIP tours. That is essentially what a VIP tour is.
I dont think there is anything Disney can really do about this problem except full on embrace the VIP tour price, ditch the human guide, and sell 1 entry per ride per day passes to people. $500 a head?

This is pretty much the answer here. They cannot sell something for $15 a head and expect people not to buy it based on price. Heck, I add it to my vacay packages without a second thought, and I do not think I am in the minority doing that. It is an extremely small portion of a Disney vacay, and I honestly don't care about whether I get my money's worth or not out of Genie+. Call me privileged or stupid or whatever.

Genie+ was, and always will be, a way to try to monetize fast passes. Period. And they couldn't just monetize fast passes because it would be seen as a blatant money grab. I would have accepted a money grab on fast passes, BTW, because, again, I am already spending so much it ceases to have meaning. And again, call me privileged or stupid.

So here we are. With an improvement on an "improved" system that will add another layer of complexity during the early mornings at Disney in the rooms I pay $1000 a night for. Buy Genie+, reserve a ride, get a paid LL or two, set an alarm on my phone so I remember to choose a ride again.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH DISNEY. Disney was never a relaxing vacay IMO, but this is a stupid way to treat someone who tosses you tens of thousands of dollars a year.

So now we will need to have someone up to get them at midnight, just in case. Then someone at 7:00 for getting Lightning Lane attractions.

sigh.
Yep. I can’t wait for the “I wanted to buy Genie+ but I couldn’t and had to do standby so Disney sucks” thread starting around June 9th. Maybe I should preemptively start it now.

Is there a way to add Genie+ to an already booked package ? I can't see anywhere to add it to my existing reservation

This is pretty much the answer here. They cannot sell something for $15 a head and expect people not to buy it based on price. Heck, I add it to my vacay packages without a second thought, and I do not think I am in the minority doing that. It is an extremely small portion of a Disney vacay, and I honestly don't care about whether I get my money's worth or not out of Genie+. Call me privileged or stupid or whatever.

Genie+ was, and always will be, a way to try to monetize fast passes. Period. And they couldn't just monetize fast passes because it would be seen as a blatant money grab. I would have accepted a money grab on fast passes, BTW, because, again, I am already spending so much it ceases to have meaning. And again, call me privileged or stupid.

So here we are. With an improvement on an "improved" system that will add another layer of complexity during the early mornings at Disney in the rooms I pay $1000 a night for. Buy Genie+, reserve a ride, get a paid LL or two, set an alarm on my phone so I remember to choose a ride again.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH DISNEY. Disney was never a relaxing vacay IMO, but this is a stupid way to treat someone who tosses you tens of thousands of dollars a year.
Please send this post in an email to:

guest.services@disneyworld.com

This is getting stupider and stupider... So now for my January trip I have to stay up past midnight to buy Genie+ to get it before it's sold out in the morning. But I have to be up and ready by 7 in order to make my reservations and get to rope drop. So, there is no possibility of getting a decent night's sleep if I want a shot at getting and using G+ properly.

I might be missing something, has Genie+ ever sold out prior? We were there this past Christmas for 10-days and the times we purchased Genie+ we did so the morning of, just prior to the 7:00 AM window and never had any issues with purchasing.

I might be missing something, has Genie+ ever sold out prior? We were there this past Christmas for 10-days and the times we purchased Genie+ we did so the morning of, just prior to the 7:00 AM window and never had any issues with purchasing.
There was never the possibility to sell out before. THey sold to to whoever wants to buy it. If they cap the sales, it will be luck of the draw to who is able to get on first to buy it.

Disney is attempting an experiment to see if sleep deprivation causes people to spend more money without thinking at the parks.

Up at midnight to ensure you get Genie+ then up at 7am to ensure you get ILL$ and/or a good Genie+ LL.

Then with the all the walking and heat, they will see if depriving you of sleep also causes you to not care and spend more money at sit down restaurants (maybe AC will be set according to how expensive the restaurant is. Signature dining? 65 degrees. Quick Service? 85 degrees). As well as seeing if it improves merch sales too :rotfl2:

Kidding of course! But yeah I don't see why Disney couldn't pre-sell Genie+ ahead of time, if it sells out, it sells out and let us choose our first or maybe even 2-3 Lightning Lanes ahead of time ala the old FP+ system and then after that it goes to the system they have now.

Even if this were a Disney resort guest only perk, it would be so much better.

This is getting stupider and stupider... So now for my January trip I have to stay up past midnight to buy Genie+ to get it before it's sold out in the morning. But I have to be up and ready by 7 in order to make my reservations and get to rope drop. So, there is no possibility of getting a decent night's sleep if I want a shot at getting and using G+ properly.

Right?!? I agree- That is ridiculous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter