"Disney through the Years" January Exercise Challenge

30 mins for me so far... We had a puppy emergency which threw me off for the last few days but it looks like she'll be fine now. Gotta get back to it!

So glad your puppy is on the mend.

WOW!!!!!!!!! That was incredible! Come to think of it I don't think I ever actually watched the movie. I'm going to have to correct that and when I do I'll definitely have a greater appreciation. Thank you

Agreed! I have seen the movie, but now I want to see it again so I can appreciate it even more. That was a wonderful video. I'm going to share it with my family. My daughter is fascinated by animation and my husband is an artist, so I expect they'll love this. Great find, @PollyannaMom !

Hi, all!

Sorry for the late update today. We were out shoveling this morning, and then I was running kids around.

Anyway, we have four new oranges to report!! :sunny::tigger:pluto::simba: Congrats to:

Saphire5742, TwilightSparkle, kathleen27, and me - PollyannaMom!!

The team total now stands at 19% (2,397/12,540) and that includes the hour I'm reporting for myself this morning (thanks to a foot of snow).

We're up to 1943 in our new-this-year Disney count-up, and the studio was getting into the war effort, releasing:

Der Fuehrer's Face (an short in which Donald Duck has a nightmare that he lives under the Nazi regime),
Saludos Amigos (promoting a "good-neighbor" policy toward Latin America), and
Victory Through Air Power (a documentary, a little over an hour long).

Here is a clip about the middle one, from a reviewer who doesn't really seem to like it. But I think it sounds kind of cool anyway:

Good morning, and welcome to week two!

I don't have any color changes yet for today, but the team is doing well, with 83% of participants reporting numbers so far this month. We're at 20% of goal, with 688 minutes to optimistic orange!!

1944 was the other year not on my source list, so we're at 1945, and the release of The Three Caballeros.

3 Caballeros - Park Characters.jpg

There is some great information here at the Disney Wiki:
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Three_Caballeros

including these tidbits:

The film combines live action and animation and "is plotted as a series of self-contained segments, strung together by the device of Donald Duck opening birthday gifts".

One segment involves Donald and his friend shrinking down and entering a book.

Clarence Nash voiced Donald Duck in English, and also dubbed the Spanish and Portuguese versions.

Sterling Holloway (who also voiced Winnie the Pooh) was one of the narrators.

"The Three Caballeros received mixed reviews when it was released. In his book, The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life, Steven Watts explains that most critics were relatively perplexed by 'the technological razzle-dazzle' of the film, thinking that, in contrast to the previous feature films up to this time, it 'displayed more flash than substance, more technique than artistry.'"

"The Three Caballeros also appear in some of Disney's themed resorts, such as
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort where one can find topiary of the trio, and Disney's All-Star Music Resort where a fountain depicting the trio is the centerpiece of the Guitar-shaped Calypso Pool."

Last edited:

:tigger::simba: It's an optimistic Tuesday, with two new oranges! Congratulations to galaxygirl76 and Tasha228!!

We're up to 1946, with the releases of Song of the South and Make Mine Music.

Here is the IMDb link for Make Mine Music: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038718/

I didn't realize some of the segments that I'd seen elsewhere actually came from here! (Scroll down in the link to the "Storyline" section.)

Song of the South became very controversial due to it's depiction of racial stereotypes in the Post Civil War South, but it did give us one great song! (which happens to be my DS's favorite Disney tune) -

:wave:Good Morning, and Happy Wednesday!!

I have no minutes to report for yesterday myself, and we have no new individual color changes :rainbow:, but the team stands at 27% (3,348 minutes) and has reached :sunny: optimistic orange! :sunny: Go team!! :cheer2::cheer2:

latest

Our 1947 release is Fun and Fancy Free, which I actually have an old VHS copy of, and watched many times when DS was little!

Produced by Walt Disney and released by RKO Radio Pictures, Fun and Fancy Free was another one of the "package films" (feature-length compilations of shorter segments) that the studio produced in the 1940s. It consisted of two segments: Bongo and Mickey and the Beanstalk.

Bongo (the story of a bear cub who escapes from the circus) was introduced by Jiminy Cricket, using a song originally cut from Pinocchio, and Mickey and the Beanstalk was narrated by Edgar Bergen, as if he and his characters were telling the story to children at a birthday party. Beanstalk was also the last feature in which Walt voiced Mickey himself. - After this one, he turned that job over to sound effects man Jimmy MacDonald in order to concentrate on other projects.

(The above info is from: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Fun_and_Fancy_Free - where you can also find a full synopsis of Mickey and the Beanstalk, a longer set of production notes, and trivia.)

Have a great day, everyone, and keep up the good work!!

20 minutes for me yesterday (155/465) and the team total is at 3,463 minutes.

1948 brings us Melody Time and Seal Island.

Melody Time.jpg Seal Island.jpg

Seal Island was the first in a series of live-action films called the True Life Adventures. (You may have seen a few of them in school over the years!) Here's some information on those films from the Walt Disney Family Museum:

http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/walt-and-true-life-adventures

It's a great article, so I highly suggest a click, but if you don't have time right this second, here's a little snippet:

[Seal Island]... did not appeal to RKO-Radio Pictures (Disney’s film distributor at the time) who felt audiences would not sit still for a nature film. So Walt asked a friend who ran Pasadena’s Crown Theater to show Seal Island for one week in December of 1948, so that this nature film would qualify for consideration for an Academy Award nomination.

Though it was twenty-seven minutes long (much longer than the usual short subject), Seal Island won that year’s Best Documentary Oscar. The very next day, Walt took that Academy Award to Roy Disney’s office and said: “Here, Roy. Take this over to RKO and bang them over the head with it.”

Keep those minutes coming, everybody!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter