Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Just watched a group of 4 uncovered make the loop from DHS to CBR and back in app 8 min.

Not sure if that makes expectations or not but .
Did you time one from the same point to the same point (leaving the station to leaving the station, not leaving it to arriving)?

Based on my calculations, and my observation yesterday of a cabin taking 1:45 to pass thru DHS station, it should be around 11 minutes. Unless they're actually moving on the cable at 6 m/s (13.4 mph), which the D-Line is capable of, but sources have said Disney would run at 5 m/s.

I rode the Busan Air Cruise yesterday that uses the same cabin as the Skyline. The wind was about 25 gusting to 35.

The Busan system is pretty cool, there are only two main towers that are both very high (just a guess, the first one is probably 80' and the second around 120') and there is a lot of sag between the towers.

Even in the high, gusting wind in a cabin by myself I mostly didn't feel the wind. The only time I noticed it was immediately leaving the station and when I first went behind a mountain that probably changed the direction. You could see the other cabins moving a little but not much.

Going across the uphold sheaves was very smooth, but you could feel the down hold ones a but more. Probably the thing I felt the most was when there cabin in front of me went across the down hold sheaves. The cabin in front of me and two people in it that were moving a lot, but I never felt that movement.

The cabins were only being launched every 35 seconds, with 4 in the station at a time. The way it was set up, you'd have 25ish seconds to unload and 25 more to load, which is about the same as the Skyliner.

ETA: Although they had the 10-person gondolas, they maxed then at 8 people. The assumed weight pp was 70 kg (154# each).

Last edited:
Did you time one from the same point to the same point (leaving the station to leaving the station, not leaving it to arriving)?

Based on my calculations, and my observation yesterday of a cabin taking 1:45 to pass thru DHS station, it should be around 11 minutes. Unless they're actually moving on the cable at 6 m/s (13.4 mph), which the D-Line is capable of, but sources have said Disney would run at 5 m/s.

No you are correct, I timed leaving DHS station to returning to DHS, and have no idea what transpired at CBR. It could have been there for 1:45 I suppose.

No you are correct, I timed leaving DHS station to returning to DHS, and have no idea what transpired at CBR. It could have been there for 1:45 I suppose.
OK, thanks. I assume the turnaround time at CBR is about the same as DHS, so that makes it more in line - about 4 minutes each way plus turnaround times.

I don't know if I want the gondolas to go to the All Stars and gouge up the prices of those rooms tbh. I would be fine with them just improving the bus service there. But I would think Disney would want to focus on their more pricier resorts for gondola expansion.
If it is about reducing transportation costs than All-Stars is the most likely next phase due to number of room and proximity to AK, DHS, and EP.

If room rates are driving the decision Coronado can easily be connected to three parks via Skyliner.

Last edited:
https://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/563

Here is another in-depth article about that New Orleans gondola. It’s pretty interesting for this nerdy subgroup of the Disboards. That thing looks intimidating.
The Gondola Project website says it had the same problem as London's Emirate Airlines is having: you can't build a tourist attraction, and then expect commuters to use it when it doesn't go where they want to go. Contrast that to the smashing success of the La Paz, Bolivia and the Mexico City urban gondolas.

I rode the Busan Air Cruise yesterday that uses the same cabin as the Skyline. The wind was about 25 gusting to 35.

The Busan system is pretty cool, there are only two main towers that are both very high (just a guess, the first one is probably 80' and the second around 120') and there is a lot of sag between the towers.

Even in the high, gusting wind in a cabin by myself I mostly didn't feel the wind. The only time I noticed it was immediately leaving the station and when I first went behind a mountain that probably changed the direction. You could see the other cabins moving a little but not much.

Going across the uphold sheaves was very smooth, but you could feel the down hold ones a but more. Probably the thing I felt the most was when there cabin in front of me went across the down hold sheaves. The cabin in front of me and two people in it that were moving a lot, but I never felt that movement.

The cabins were only being launched every 35 seconds, with 4 in the station at a time. The way it was set up, you'd have 25ish seconds to unload and 25 more to load, which is about the same as the Skyliner.

ETA: Although they had the 10-person gondolas, they maxed then at 8 people. The assumed weight pp was 70 kg (154# each).
I guess I was way off, the highest tower is 282 feet up.

If it is about reducing transportation costs than All-Stars is the most likely next phase due to number of room and proximity to AK, DHS, and EP.

If room rates are driving the decision Coronado can easily be connected to three parks via Skyliner.

I think that was part of the reason why Riviera got built where it is. They could have easily left that as part of CBR but they needed more expensive rooms on that line to help cover costs.

I think that was part of the reason why Riviera got built where it is. They could have easily left that as part of CBR but they needed more expensive rooms on that line to help cover costs.

I think it went hand in hand - the profits from selling DVC help justify building The DVC Resort there and the fact it will be on the gondola and have transportation other than buses helps to sell the DVC/justify putting it there

I think it went hand in hand - the profits from selling DVC help justify building The DVC Resort there and the fact it will be on the gondola and have transportation other than buses helps to sell the DVC/justify putting it there

The Circle of Life

The wildcard will be the amount of people walking up, or busing up to trinidad station.
Making an assumption that the trinidad to DHS station will run at a marginally faster speed than the other two lines in the morning, you'd have 2 lines converging to one.
I think if Disney isn't too high pressure in loading the cabins to capacity at Pop and the Riviera lines, then when they converge at Trinidad, they should have full cars going to DHS. My opinion is the transfer will only take as long as it takes you to get off the first cabin and walk around to the next loading platform. I doubt they'll let much of a line form at the transfer. They can control that line length by controlling the relative speeds of each line as they converge. I imagine it will take some time to figure it out as ridership levels stabilize, but it is certainly in their ability to control.

Here's hoping thats the case! lol I am excited for them, thats just my only concern

I'd have to search way back for the math but costs to run the Skyliner is a faction of the fuel bill for buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter