• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I agree, but there were a lot of rumors around this in that Disney did not want to deal with the security and staffing of a third entrance to the park. Securing the entrances is a lot more than meets the eye. The other issue is that the entrance would have to be very close to where the fireworks barges are stored, and it was logistically difficult. I don't know how true it is, but we've been discussing this on the CBR-DVC thread and many people were convinced that a third entrance was not going to be feasible/desirable.

I took the DestiNations Discovered tour last week, and went back stage where the fireworks boats are stored. They are straight back in a short divided channel in the waterway. There is an access road on both sides of the water way, and a number of buildings in between the divided waterway. There's a set of boat slips back there for the friendship boats, as well. The area towards outpost is literally an empty field with spare potted plants in it. I don't know how many of those plants were there for Epcot Flower and Garden, but I suspect a lot of them are. The fireworks are brought in each day. None are stored on-site. There is PLENTY of room to put a new entrance over there. Our tour guide said that the space was designed for two countries, one of which was Switzerland, and neither of which were built.

Disney never did any distinct character themeing in any other mode of transportation. (Besides ads on the back of busses)

Look at the Monorail. They only had a small 1' WDW logo, yet their shape is associated with Disney.

Hopefully they go with a somewhat more modern, newer look than others to create a new Disney "look"

Disney never did any distinct character themeing in any other mode of transportation. (Besides ads on the back of busses)

Look at the Monorail. They only had a small 1' WDW logo, yet their shape is associated with Disney.

Hopefully they go with a somewhat more modern, newer look than others to create a new Disney "look"
Disney has done numerous monorail wraps.

Is there backlash because POFQ has boats that run to Disney Springs while CBR and CSR do not?

IMO, you're overthinking this. Operating costs won't be a monorail-sized expense. In fact, one of the primary reasons for extending service to Pop/AOA may be to cost-justify the entire thing. According to the proposed diagrams, that POP/AOA spur is very small. Building the entire system just for (approx) 2000 rooms at CBR is probably a non-starter. But when you can spend just a little more and service another 2000 hotel rooms and 1000 suites, the entire system is moving a LOT more guests...and eliminating a lot more buses.

We know monorails are very expensive. That's a non-starter in this day and age. But these gondolas may prove to be more cost effective than buses.

This could well be a trial for replacing the monorail as the price is likely less than maintenance for the monorail.

It's not a short walk by any means, but it's under 10 minutes to go between the two resort lobbies. It's not uncommon for guests to hop buses to the opposite resort because of shorter lines or bus availability. Guests at both resorts are used to some amount of walking.
I was assuming the Station would be at POP since it is closer to CBR than AoA-is there a reason AoA would be better?Thanks.

I was assuming the Station would be at POP since it is closer to CBR than AoA-is there a reason AoA would be better?Thanks.
Actually I believe the station would line up closer to AoA if they go in line with the CBR station.

This could well be a trial for replacing the monorail as the price is likely less than maintenance for the monorail.

Doppelmayr does funicular rail lines and recently did light rail in San Francisco that looks a little similar to a monorail. They can build custom for clients, so I could see them being contracted to not only build the new Sky Way, but also fix the monorail.

Looks like the north lot between the properties to me.
Yes but appears to be a bit closer to the AoA rooms than PoP. The station is supposed to service both resorts so having it in the middle would make sense.

Austin, Texas has been kicking around the idea of gondola cable ways as they are $25-35(depending on number of stops) million a mile to build versus $200-300 million a mile for light rail.

There are a number of urban areas turning to cableways as part of their mass transit services due to cost savings. Medellin, Columbia being one of the more notable ones.

http://gondolaproject.com/2010/10/2...ble-systems-in-the-world-for-various-reasons/

Austin has never seriously considered gondolas. I know all sorts of hair brain ideas get thrown around when stuff comes up for debate, but gondolas have never been given funding for a serious study. The voters would have to vote on it if Cap Metro was implementing it. I prefer a monorail a la Seattle:) Plus, I just love that episode of the Simpsons:)

As for Disney, a gondola is a great idea.

Disney is all about theming. IF this map is accurate
you would have the gondolas going over France in EPCOT;
over Caribbean Beach Resort; being visible from all of the
EPCOT resorts. Breaks the theming in each case. Not good show.

If one wanted to use the gondolas to go from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios
he/she would get there faster walking or using the Friendships.

Also, the gondolas would be affected by the sever thunderstorms.

I wonder why Disney never used the TTA People Mover as an actual
form of transportation. This method of transportation would be less
costly than installing more monorail lines.

They would not be going over France. They'd be going just behind France. The issue would be seeing them from inside the parks. That's not much different than the intrusion of the swan and dolphin though.

I think the gondolas fit in nicely with an European theme. In addition to existing gondolas in the French Alps, Paris seems to be planning a gondola transit system:
http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2016/10/can-the-paris-gondola-succeed-where-londons-failed/502970/

Based on some calculations, the gondola transit time from Epcot to DHS could be faster than the boats (boats that also stop operation due to lightening) but walking is still faster.

I think the gondolas fit in nicely with an European theme. In addition to existing gondolas in the French Alps, Paris seems to be planning a gondola transit system:
http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2016/10/can-the-paris-gondola-succeed-where-londons-failed/502970/

Based on some calculations, the gondola transit time from Epcot to DHS could be faster than the boats (boats that also stop operation due to lightening) but walking is still faster.

I'm in commando mode whenever I go to WDW, so walking would be my method to get from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios. How long is
that trek? Less than 2 miles?

Edit: Looks like a little over a mile from International Gateway to Hollywood Studios (using Google Maps). That would take me 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I usually stay at the Swan and Dolphin, mostly because I hate using buses, and I can walk to 2 theme parks. I can see this being a huge plus for those resorts. Very cool...

I think the big wins are that it's a faster connection from Epcot to DHS than the boats. It's faster than walking on the path. That is already a very heavily utilized travel corridor.
As a bonus, you connect two/three more resorts into that corridor. You have greater attendance anticipated at a park that had trouble dealing with the numbers it had prior to expansion. So this helps encourage non car transportation. This encourage greater resort traffic to shopping district at the boardwalk.

Shopping at the Boardwalk, to be fair, isn't great. If you want to shop head to DS. Now maybe they are trying to fill up the Dance Hall ;)

I'm in commando mode whenever I go to WDW, so walking would be my method to get from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios. How long is
that trek? Less than 2 miles?

Edit: Looks like a little over a mile from International Gateway to Hollywood Studios (using Google Maps). That would take me 15 minutes.

It's a little over a mile because it's not very straight line. My wife did DHS to Beach Club in about 20 minutes. You could probably go directly to Epcot in 20-25 minutes. 15 minutes would be a pretty darn fast pace, but I suppose it is possible. It's definitely faster to walk than to take the boats...because the boats stop 3 times. (DHS-Swolphin-BC/YC-BW-Epcot) but the boat takes about 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter