Disney reducing food portion sizes, then added “which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
At best, a tacky comment to attempt to justify charging more for less.

Inflation and increased costs - we all get that. But Disney always has the option to offer a "lite sized" menu (like one poster commented that Cheesecake Factory does) - and adjust the price to reflect a smaller portion size.

The tacky comment DOESN'T address a kid like mine, who is 5'9" and weighs 112 pounds - he CAN and does eat plenty at Disney and elsewhere, so you don't need to do him any favors on portion size, thanks so much. Do I need to order him two dinners now; you know, since you're "helping me out" by shrinking portion sizes? Ugh.

If I want to eat less, I certainly know how to order off the kids menu; or order just an appetizer; or split an adult entree...I don't need Disney to "adjust" portion size for me. Eyeroll.
DH is 6' 6" and struggles to keep weight on. DS is 15 and is 6 foot+ and about 120 pounds. They eat appropriately for their size --- no help from WDW bean counters required. At home we concentrate on making sure that meals are nutritional and balanced.

I think the whole post should be shared with Disney since it truly reflects reality --- that some people need more food/calories ---- others don't --- offer a light menu for those that don't want the current nutritional/calorie options (super hint to WDW: you'll probably still save money without insulting people --- offer the light version for slightly less and just increase the price a slight bit on the current version.) Accept people will complain but if you're offering another option it will go away quickly. Offering a light/smaller version of a dish you already offer at a slightly lower cost will cost almost nothing but make your clients happier. I hate leaving food to go to waste but never clean my plate.

Imagine the need to come in this thread and defend the executives comments and give continuous lectures about food prices and labor like you have any legitimate insight to the costs. I’d assume as a disney fan site we would defend the guests experience and value not stick up for executives making bad taste comments.

DH is 6' 6" and struggles to keep weight on. DS is 15 and is 6 foot+ and about 120 pounds. They eat appropriately for their size --- no help from WDW bean counters required. At home we concentrate on making sure that meals are nutritional and balanced.

I think the whole post should be shared with Disney since it truly reflects reality --- that some people need more food/calories ---- others don't --- offer a light menu for those that don't want the current nutritional/calorie options (super hint to WDW: you'll probably still save money without insulting people --- offer the light version for slightly less and just increase the price a slight bit on the current version.) Accept people will complain but if you're offering another option it will go away quickly. Offering a light/smaller version of a dish you already offer at a slightly lower cost will cost almost nothing but make your clients happier. I hate leaving food to go to waste but never clean my plate.

Eating healthy at Disney - that's a whole other thread :)

We've been to Disney several times with a family member who has had weight loss surgery. She can eat only a tiny bit at a time; and options are very limited - since at many places Kids Meals aren't exactly high protein/low carb (there are exceptions, which is why we eat at Jungle Skipper every chance we get).

I love your idea - somehow though, I don't think that's what they have in mind. Too sensible.

Last edited:
I encourage everyone to listen to the comments and not just read the transcript. It was a silly throwaway joke, like "wouldn't it be good for all of us if portions were a little bit smaller?" It was not mean-spirited.
This was during a question-and-answer portion of the call when she was asked about inflation. The point she was working towards is that there are things they can do in response to rising food costs beyond just raising prices for guests. "Cutting portion sizes" doesn't sound very good, so it was an attempt to put a positive perspective on it.

It's kind of like saying "we're going to wash towels less frequently in the hotels to save housekeeping labor costs" and then adding at the end "...and wouldn't that be good for the environment?"

while I agree some are over reacting,some are also trying too hard to defend it. The summary is that she decided to point out that some people are fat and need to lose weight.

A quick thought-imagine high schoolers and one girl—let’s call her MJ—is talking to her friends when Emily—the fattest kid—walks within earshot. MJ just happens to mention how the school reducing portion size would be good for “some peoples” waist lines, and of course all her friends have a good laugh. Clearly MJ is insulting Emily. MJ is not in the appropriate position to be offering medical tips and is making a joke at the expense of Emily. Even worse, the principal makes a comment over the loudspeaker how school lunch will be raising the cost of ice cream to make more money but that it is also good because “some people” need to lose some weight anyway. Man, those girls would be rolling on the floor, and we all know who the butt of the joke is.

If Emily dealt with that all through school then grew up and fell in love with Disney, only to get the EXACT SAME joke by the leaders of Disney while they literally discuss charging HER MORE….well I can’t imagine that would go well for any of the Emilys out there.

As to it being true or not, context clearly influences being appropriate. If you walk in to a store to shop and the sales associate says “man you seriously need to wash your clothes more often. Ok, check out this laptop, it’s got a 4k OLED” that’s clearly ridiculous. Some people would laugh about it, but if I was the boss I would not want him working for me. though if the same persons mom said it that would be totally fine.

so, was it a joke? Yes, yes it was, it was the same joke used to bully and pick on them as kids. Was it true? Yes. But she is not the parent or caregiver of the people she was talking about.

Last edited:
while I agree some are over reacting,some are also trying too hard to defend it. The summary is that she decided to point out that some people are fat and need to lose weight.

A quick thought-imagine high schoolers and one girl—let’s call her MJ—is talking to her friends when Emily—the fattest kid—walks within earshot. MJ just happens to mention how the school reducing portion size would be good for “some peoples” waist lines, and of course all her friends have a good laugh. Clearly MJ is insulting Emily. MJ is not in the appropriate position to be offering medical tips and is making a joke at the expense of Emily. Even worse, the principal makes a comment over the loudspeaker how school lunch will be raising the cost of ice cream to make more money but that it is also good because “some people” need to lose some weight anyway. Man, those girls would be rolling on the floor, and we all know who the butt of the joke is.

If Emily dealt with that all through school then grew up and fell in love with Disney, only to get the EXACT SAME joke by the leaders of Disney while they literally discuss charging HER MORE….well I can’t imagine that would go well for any of the Emilys out there.

As to it being true or not, context clearly influences being appropriate. If you walk in to a store to shop and the sales associate says “man you seriously need to wash your clothes more often. Ok, check out this laptop, it’s got a 4k OLED” that’s clearly ridiculous. Some people would laugh about it, but if I was the boss I would not want him working for me. though if the same persons mom said it that would be totally fine.

so, was it a joke? Yes, yes it was, it was the same joke used to bully and pick on them as kids. Was it true? Yes. But she is not the parent or caregiver of the people she was talking about.
Your anology rests on Christine McCarthy being the skinny, hot girl. It doesn't work.

At best, a tacky comment to attempt to justify charging more for less.

Inflation and increased costs - we all get that. But Disney always has the option to offer a "lite sized" menu (like one poster commented that Cheesecake Factory does) - and adjust the price to reflect a smaller portion size.

The tacky comment DOESN'T address a kid like mine, who is 5'9" and weighs 112 pounds - he CAN and does eat plenty at Disney and elsewhere, so you don't need to do him any favors on portion size, thanks so much. Do I need to order him two dinners now; you know, since you're "helping me out" by shrinking portion sizes? Ugh.

If I want to eat less, I certainly know how to order off the kids menu; or order just an appetizer; or split an adult entree...I don't need Disney to "adjust" portion size for me. Eyeroll.

I agree with the last paragraph (and the rest of the post) completely. I find that I don't eat as much as I used to, and I usually always order a kids meal while at disney, or split a big dinner with my husband. I am an adult and I know how to "downsize" if I want to. Some people could eat 2 meals of regular size (I'm talking about my teenaged grandsons and they have done that at disney) and some eat kids meals like me. It should be the guests decision and not a cost saving tactic.

Last edited:
Your anology rests on Christine McCarthy being the skinny, hot girl. It doesn't work.

It doesn't. You imagined a skinny hot girl, but in reality its not only the skinny hot girl that does it. Having taught Elementary school for 12 years I can say pretty definitively that such mocking is done to people all the time for being poor, fat, different race, short, tall, big nose etc. In some cases it is the person's close friend that is also fat but just a bit skinnier. You imagined a "skinny hot girl" because you have experience seeing it portrayed as such.

However, none of that is relevant and you are completely ignoring the point. It doesn't matter whether she is "the hot girl." True, this comment isn't worth saying "Disney is evil." It's not like this is official Disney policy, or even a common occurrence or something (though it does suggest her and her friends might make similar jokes frequently in private).

However, it is obviously making a joke at the expense of customers-- in a public setting. A joke that those people have lived with all their lives. Over reacting and saying that this alone is reason to boycott Disney would be absurd, but trying to defend it as if it were a reasonable and perfectly respectable comment is equally absurd.

It doesn't. You imagined a skinny hot girl, but in reality its not only the skinny hot girl that does it. Having taught Elementary school for 12 years I can say pretty definitively that such mocking is done to people all the time for being poor, fat, different race, short, tall, big nose etc. In some cases it is the person's close friend that is also fat but just a bit skinnier. You imagined a "skinny hot girl" because you have experience seeing it portrayed as such.

However, none of that is relevant and you are completely ignoring the point. It doesn't matter whether she is "the hot girl." True, this comment isn't worth saying "Disney is evil." It's not like this is official Disney policy, or even a common occurrence or something (though it does suggest her and her friends might make similar jokes frequently in private).

However, it is obviously making a joke at the expense of customers-- in a public setting. A joke that those people have lived with all their lives. Over reacting and saying that this alone is reason to boycott Disney would be absurd, but trying to defend it as if it were a reasonable and perfectly respectable comment is equally absurd.
Your impression of business executives seems to be based on cartoon supervillains from comic book movies. I suggest you actually go meet some in real life.

Thanks for the feedback, I will give it due consideration.

You might consider actually listening to what people are saying sometime though.
I read what you wrote. I guarantee you, Christine McCarthy doesn't spend her time with her friends behind closed doors making fun of fat park guests. You didn't just suggest this, you stated it explicitly.

I read what you wrote. I guarantee you, Christine McCarthy doesn't spend her time with her friends behind closed doors making fun of fat park guests. You didn't just suggest this, you stated it explicitly.
Last EDIT: THREE comments on this:

1: occasionally making disparaging comments about people for being overweight (or other issues) is not really "supervillain" territory. It is, in fact, quite human.

2: I mentioned that such comments are pretty common about weight-in some context it is reasonable or even appropriate. However, in this context it is clearly unreasonable. To think that this is the first time she ever made such a comment would be absurd. Had she not brought it out in the public then none of that would have mattered.

3: the point you are addressing-whether she has made similar comments in the planning that lead up to this press conference-- is the parenthetical in my post. I said she MIGHT be doing something, and it was an after thought, clearly not the primary issue-hence the parenthesis and conditions attached. You are still completely ignoring the entire substance of the issue.

Food portions in this country are way too big and one of many factors contributing to the obesity epidemic. Cutting down on those portions while not reducing prices isn't Disney trying to help with that problem, it is just an excuse.

Calling it "fat shaming" is hyperbolic at best.

In 2019 there was a redicualse amount of fries served with quick service menu items. At one point we complained via in resort survey about quite the excess calories been plated up. One example pictured here is at Capt. Cooks showing the LEFT OVERS from quick service main evening meal for 3 people. Best of all there was no mention of fries (and so no way to substitute) on the menu at the location! They could have served it without fries for the same price and we would have been fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
In 2019 there was a redicualse amount of fries served with quick service menu items. At one point we complained via in resort survey about quite the excess calories been plated up. One example pictured here is at Capt. Cooks showing the LEFT OVERS from quick service main evening meal for 3 people. Best of all there was no mention of fries (and so no way to substitute) on the menu at the location! They could have served it without fries for the same price and we would have been fine.

Pre-pandemic, we used to split the combo plate at Columbia Harbor House three ways (self and two kids). And the fries - I hear you! We have commented multiple times about allowing substitutions.

Now instead of two quick service meals in the parks, we typically do one table service with better quality/nutritious food, and each get a snack and feel much better. Add food allergies and a newish T1 diabetic - most quick service simply doesn't work. And two of us regularly order off the kids menu and make sure to tip well so the server doesn't suffer.

Would I have said that? No.

Is it "bullying" like some claim here? Also no.

I’m sure WDW sees a significant amount of food waste because the portions are bigger than some people eat.
I also think they have probably noticed a number of people order one quick service meal and share it.
From WDW‘s viewpoint, cutting portion size is a plus-plus.
They get rid of some food waste and get some people who would have bought one meal to pay for 2.

Another day, another over reaction on the internet. :coffee:

The subject line on this thread is incorrect. The off-the-cuff comment by the CFO only said that they would be looking at all opportunities to reduce costs across the company, including portion sizes. They did not say they were reducing portion sizes.

The comment came up in response to a question by an analyst. When preparing for analyst calls like this one, management will certainly have some prepared remarks. They will also try to anticipate questions that could be answered. But its real life and you can't cover everything in your preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter