Disney reducing food portion sizes, then added “which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cheesecake Factory has their skinny menu that has smaller portion sizes. I order off of it as I aim for roughly 500 calories for my main meal. Disney isn't talking about this.

Instead, they are talking about charging the same amount of money for less food. And their food prices are already high compared to food outside of the parks.

And they've already cut back on their other offerings as well. Craig talked on their Off the Rails show about shorter parades.

Eventually, there won't be much magic left.

Inelegant phrasing is not something to cry about.
Highly-paid executives of a huge multi-national company do not get to indulge in "inelegant phrasing", as you call it, or verbal faux pas, without being called out. Which is what I'm doing - aint' nobody crying here. I am using my voice to say I thought the remark was NOT called for, showed lack of grace, respect, inclusion, and preparation, and is hiding other motives. No crying, stating my opinion.
She should at the very least be called to task for the remark, and perhaps some re-training is in order. And -- again - honesty about what is REALLY being done - giving less, charging the same, if not more.

Highly-paid executives of a huge multi-national company do not get to indulge in "inelegant phrasing", as you call it, without being called out. Which is what I'm doing - aint' nobody crying here. I am using my voice to say I thought the remark was NOT called for, showed lack of grace, respect, inclusion, and preparation, and is hiding other motives. No crying, stating my opinion. Period.
Hiding what other motives, exactly?

Disney is PAYING more for everything right now. Labor. Supplies. Utilities.
I totally agree with your last point, and have seen your point(S) all along, and support your right to feel the way you do, see things the way you see them, and to express that here. Something which I'm not fully convinced is reciprocated. I (again) agree to disagree, and hereby remove myself from this conversation - it's starting to feel more combative in nature, and I do not wish to indulge. It's also starting to feel like I'm having to restate what I've already stated (perhaps too much, I'm sure some would say!, and I do apologize to them) many times - like beating a dead horse - or should I say I say a dead pony, since that's a smaller portion of a horse?
Have a magical day.

I'm probably the only one not sad about this. I don't think I've ever finished a meal at Disney, and the amount of waste bothered me. I order the kids menu if it's available, and the portion sizes there are closer to what I'd actually eat for a meal at home. I'd rather see both prices and portion size cut.

I'm probably the only one not sad about this. I don't think I've ever finished a meal at Disney, and the amount of waste bothered me. I order the kids menu if it's available, and the portion sizes there are closer to what I'd actually eat for a meal at home. I'd rather see both prices and portion size cut.
I think entree sizes are appropriate, but I could do with a lot less filler sides (fries and pasta).

Honestly, I think they have room to raise prices. Chicken strips at my local amusement park ate $14.99. At Cosmic Ray's, they're $9.99.

BTW - huge congrats on your weight loss journey, and continued success - it is NOT easy!

And for me, and only me, lower prices for lower portion sizes is fine, fair, and would make perfect sense. Unfortunately - that aint' what's been happening, and they're trying to mask cost-cutting with professed health consciousness, and I ain't fooled. I WOUDL be the one to tell the Emperor he's nekkid!!! What she did with that unnecessary remark was cowardice, and showed lack of both preparation and backbone to be able to withstand questioning and property defend what is a business decision that you should have been aware may not be received popularly by all.

As with everything lately, It's pay more, get less. With a LOT of things. But don't try to convince me this is :for my own good". Or - as we used to say at work ' "Don't pee on me and try to tell me it's raining". And what could be perceived by some to perhaps be offensive judging of their waistline should NOT be part of Corporate Business and Publicity 101 either. I shudder to think a person like this would have taught other business leaders at the Disney Institute, or on their corporate training junkets years ago.
Thanks!

BTW - huge congrats on your weight loss journey, and continued success - it is NOT easy!

And for me, and only me, lower prices for lower portion sizes is fine, fair, and would make perfect sense. Unfortunately - that aint' what's been happening, and they're trying to mask cost-cutting with professed health consciousness, and I ain't fooled. I WOUDL be the one to tell the Emperor he's nekkid!!! What she did with that unnecessary remark was cowardice, and showed lack of both preparation and backbone to be able to withstand questioning and property defend what is a business decision that you should have been aware may not be received popularly by all.

As with everything lately, It's pay more, get less. With a LOT of things. But don't try to convince me this is :for my own good". Or - as we used to say at work ' "Don't pee on me and try to tell me it's raining". And what could be perceived by some to perhaps be offensive judging of their waistline should NOT be part of Corporate Business and Publicity 101 either. I shudder to think a person like this would have taught other business leaders at the Disney Institute, or on their corporate training junkets years ago.

1000% this. I don't believe for a minute this wasn't in her planned notes of how to make light of something they are planning. She likely had a little chuckle written for a few of her cost cutting ideas, just in case.

Remember when Disney created the kids Mickey Healthy meals ... it was all about getting our kids to eat healthier. Some parents lost their minds, the one week they don't want to fight their kids eating. Now why would Disney create this special meal, knowing they would get pushback? Because they were changing the kids meal to smaller portions of the adult's meals. Less product and inventory needed, less kitchen staff needed aka SAVING MONEY aka PROFIT. Because they were moving in business to expanding putting their names on lots of grocery store food, better for kids. Eat Happy :rolleyes:

Now if she had said "We noticed lots of folks leaving food on their plates. We thought rather than waste food, we would reduce the portions of our meals, and reduce the price by 10%." They would likely remove enough to increase profits even with a 10% reduction in price.

But instead she blames the removing of food from the plate is good because of the guest's weight. In no scenario is that funny, in no scenario is it okay to put any blame on guests, in no scenario does this sound like Disney's Be Our Guest Customer Service teachings. The irony here is they could have just done it and not mentioned it at all. Sadly there is this sense of arrogance under the new leadership.

Lifelong love of Disney, love Disney World, will stand behind them often when others won't .... this commentary from her is not cool and unsupportable in any context.

Last edited:
Inelegant phrasing is not something to cry about.
Bwaahaahaaa... you got the wrong person if you think that is what I am doing.

It IS possible to have an opinion about something without weeping.

Not that you're speaking to me here, but as a person who put up with bullies for quite some time, you do realize that telling folks not to be crybaby or some similar phraseology is something a bully would say, right?

You seem to be triggered by people who don't want to be bullied.

You can have the last word...This is mine to you.

1000% this. I don't believe for a minute this wasn't in her planned notes of how to make light of something they are planning. She likely had a little chuckle written for a few of her cost cutting ideas, just in case.

Remember when Disney created the kids Mickey Healthy meals ... it was all about getting our kids to eat healthier. Some parents lost their minds, the one week they don't want to fight their kids eating. Now why would Disney create this special meal, knowing they would get pushback? Because they were changing the kids meal to smaller portions of the adult's meals. Less product and inventory needed, less kitchen staff needed aka SAVING MONEY aka PROFIT. Because they were moving in business to expanding putting their names on lots of grocery store food, better for kids. Eat Happy :rolleyes:

Now if she had said "We noticed lots of folks leaving food on their plates. We thought rather than waste food, we would reduce the portions of our meals, and reduce the price by 10%." They would likely remove enough to increase profits even with a 10% reduction in price.

But instead she blames the removing of food from the plate is good because of the guest's weight. In no scenario is that funny, in no scenario is it okay to put any blame on guests, in no scenario does this sound like Disney's Be Our Guest Customer Service teachings. The irony here is they could have just done it and not mentioned it at all. Sadly there is this sense of arrogance under the new leadership.

Lifelong love of Disney, love Disney World, will stand behind them often when others won't .... this commentary from her is not cool and unsupportable in any context.
Exactly... if her comment was "less food waste" --- zero offense --- maybe some "less food for more price" comments... but probably no significant blowback --- at all .

She instead decided to throw in an insult, that with 42.4% of the US 20+ population who are obese (73.6% overweight according to CDC https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm) --- seems so tacky and inappropriate. I'm guessing she still wants the cash from the alcohol served (in spite of the health consequences of that) or getting rid of other high calorie foods. Unless she's going to start advocating for "salad parties" instead of "dessert parties" --- I think you can chalk this up to a totally out of touch corporate executive who lacks any insight to the population who visit their parks.

Last edited:
All I know is that in my basic retail job if I made a public comment in our dining area the same as she did I'd be out on my rear end with a pink slip. Funny how the people at the top seem to have such lax conduct. They should be held to a higher standard than the tiers of employees under them, not a lower one.

Because they were changing the kids meal to smaller portions of the adult's meals. Less product and inventory needed, less kitchen staff needed aka SAVING MONEY aka PROFIT.
This is factually untrue. Cost of goods is much lower on chicken strips and fries than the Mickey Check meals. The deep fried crap is much more profitable.

This is factually untrue. Cost of goods is much lower on chicken strips and fries than the Mickey Check meals. The deep fried crap is much more profitable.

That is your take, not mine.

When you eliminate a number of meals you reduce inventory, considerably reduce kitchen staff, reduce equipment needed (space) you can cut down on costs. The cost of putting meals on plates is much more than just cost of raw goods. And even if looking at that, reducing the range of raw goods allows you to save, and buy more bulk on the other.

It's the old excuse that cooking an unhealthy meal or going to a fast food restaurant is cheaper than cooking a healthy meal. That is not true, and Disney knows when they flop greens and rice on just about every meal in Skipper's Canteen. More money in their pocket even though it is healthier than fries.

That is your take, not mine.

When you eliminate a number of meals you reduce inventory, considerably reduce kitchen staff, reduce equipment needed (space) you can cut down on costs. The cost of putting meals on plates is much more than just cost of raw goods. And even if looking at that, reducing the range of raw goods allows you to save, and buy more bulk on the other.

It's the old excuse that cooking an unhealthy meal or going to a fast food restaurant is cheaper than cooking a healthy meal. That is not true, and Disney knows when they flop greens and rice on just about every meal in Skipper's Canteen. More money in their pocket even though it is healthier than fries.
It's not a "take," you're just mistaken. Mickey Check was added in response to guest surveys. That's what happened. It's not a matter of opinion.

At best, a tacky comment to attempt to justify charging more for less.

Inflation and increased costs - we all get that. But Disney always has the option to offer a "lite sized" menu (like one poster commented that Cheesecake Factory does) - and adjust the price to reflect a smaller portion size.

The tacky comment DOESN'T address a kid like mine, who is 5'9" and weighs 112 pounds - he CAN and does eat plenty at Disney and elsewhere, so you don't need to do him any favors on portion size, thanks so much. Do I need to order him two dinners now; you know, since you're "helping me out" by shrinking portion sizes? Ugh.

If I want to eat less, I certainly know how to order off the kids menu; or order just an appetizer; or split an adult entree...I don't need Disney to "adjust" portion size for me. Eyeroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter