Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Disney adds more bonus park reservations for Walt Disney World Annual Passholders in August

In addition to the bonus dates released earlier this week through August 13, four additional dates have been added through August 20 2023.

Here is the complete list of dates, including the expanded days:

• August 5 - EPCOT
  • August 6 - Magic Kingdom
  • August 8 - Disney's Animal Kingdom
  • August 9 - EPCOT
  • August 10 - Disney's Animal Kingdom
  • August 13 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • August 14 - Disney's Animal Kingdom
  • August 15 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • August 16 - EPCOT
  • August 20 - Magic Kingdom

You're going to see this with a lot of streamers ... they need to FORCE people onto the ads for the revenue. It's not really about the $ increase in the add-free options, but trying to figure out a price that doesn't look crazy, but at the same time ensures people will switch to the add option. Disney really doesn't expect many to pay that $13.99, but they'll take your money if you're still nuts enough.

Between MAX, Netflix, Peacock, D+ etc ... we just need to prepare to be back to the days of ads on everything that you can't even skip. Peacock is being offered free to many Comcast subscribers, but if you take the offer you don't even have the option to pay a bit extra for the ad-free ... Peacock would rather give the service away to build up the advertising base.

It's not a pretty picture for the future of streaming
Back 10 or 15 years ago - when DVRs became a popular TV tool - I recall advertisers complaining about the viewers ability to record TV shows/movies for later viewing and then fast forwarding through the commercials. Presto, commercial-free viewing.

With the advent of streaming, DVRs weren't needed any more, we were told. We could view what we wanted when we wanted to. But we can't FF through the commercials now.

I think it’s time for me to go with the subscribe, binge, cancel route…having only one pay stream at a time. I’ll hate waiting to see new SW or Marvel series, but that’s about all I’m watching anymore on D+. Releases are going to come at a much slower pace anyway. IDK

Streamer are starting to catch on to that. Netflix recent dropped it's $9.99 basic ad-free option for new subscribers. You could keep that tier as long as you don't cancel, but folks who dropped Netflix and then tried to re-subscribe had to take either the cheaper ad option, or go $15 for the next level ad-free.

I think we'll see this for other streamers as well where you'll get penalized at a higher rate when you drop your subscription. This probably won't apply much to the with-ads options though ... only the ad-free plans

Streamer are starting to catch on to that. Netflix recent dropped it's $9.99 basic ad-free option for new subscribers. You could keep that tier as long as you don't cancel, but folks who dropped Netflix and then tried to re-subscribe had to take either the cheaper ad option, or go $15 for the next level ad-free.

I think we'll see this for other streamers as well where you'll get penalized at a higher rate when you drop your subscription. This probably won't apply much to the with-ads options though ... only the ad-free plans
No doubt, which is why I’ll likely opt for the ad version on some and the ad-free more sparingly. But I’ll wait until several series or new seasons I want to see are available to binge and then I’ll move on. They’re forcing my hand! Between the wifi, my phone and multiple streaming services?…dang. I prefer taking vacations.

Don’t shoot the messenger :duck:

Disney to raise price on ad-free Disney+ to $13.99 per month starting September 6

Commercial-free Disney+ will cost $13.99 per month, a 27% increase, beginning Sept. 6. Disney+ with ads will remain $7.99 per month. Disney will also expand its ad-tier offering to select markets in Europe and in Canada beginning Nov. 1.

Disney is increasing the price of Hulu without ads to $17.99 per month, a 20% price hike. Hulu with ads will also stay the same price, at $7.99 per month.
At that price, I will be canceling after my year contract is up and will just subscribe probably twice a year for a month to bingewatch. Went from $140 for three years to $80 for a year to probably 139 for a year now…so thats triple what I paid originally. That’s way too much money for a streaming service.

I think it’s time for me to go with the subscribe, binge, cancel route…having only one pay stream at a time. I’ll hate waiting to see new SW or Marvel series, but that’s about all I’m watching anymore on D+. Releases are going to come at a much slower pace anyway. IDK

We maintain D+ (no ads), YouTube TV (as replacement for Google cable which was discontinued), and Netflix DVD (I know🤣). We occasionally add a different one for a month or two, watch everything we wanted to see, and then cancel. We will be switching to Netflix streaming, since DVD ends next month. We do have Amazon Prime, but we had it before they started showing content; it’s for quick delivery mostly. Will probably keep D+ ad free, depending upon what it costs. We just don’t watch stuff with ads. I’m not paying for the privilege to be marketed to.

We maintain D+ (no ads), YouTube TV (as replacement for Google cable which was discontinued), and Netflix DVD (I know🤣). We occasionally add a different one for a month or two, watch everything we wanted to see, and then cancel. We will be switching to Netflix streaming, since DVD ends next month. We do have Amazon Prime, but we had it before they started showing content; it’s for quick delivery mostly. Will probably keep D+ ad free, depending upon what it costs. We just don’t watch stuff with ads. I’m not paying for the privilege to be marketed to.
Same with us re: ads. Can't stand it. A big reason for why we haven't had cable since Netflix launched their streaming service.

I'm realizing that somehow we've ended up with lots of streaming services! Taking stock of them here in case it's useful for anyone to know how we've gotten many for free:

D+ & Hulu through a credit card explained above

Paramount+ is included with Walmart+, which is a perk of the same credit card. We watch Star Trek on there occasionally.

Peacock is free for a year with T-Mobile. After the year was up, I cancelled the service but Peacock didn't notice somehow and we still get it months later. We sometimes watch Brooklyn 99.

Apple TV through T-Mobile Tuesdays (it's an rewards app for subscribers, there's something free every Tuesday). Recently there was an offer for 6 months free. Need to watch the new season of Ted Lasso while we can.

Max (HBO & Discovery) through my father's cable login. We watch when HBO has some big show, last one was Succession.

Prime, though streaming isn't the primary purpose of having the service. Did see the LOTR series, and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (one of my favorite TV shows ever)

Netflix is included in my father's cable bill also, so we get it through him as well. I thought they were supposed to be cracking down on password sharing but nothing's happened 🤷‍♂️
We've had it this way for over a decade now.

So the only streaming I actually pay for directly are YouTube Premium and Spotify. Too much content, too little time.

I really don't want to deal with ads, but Disney is insane to think to think their catalog is worth the price increase ... I think Hulu may have become the highest cost streaming platform after the hike? Seems like they're trying to price streaming like the theme parks, but I don't think D+ or Hulu can justify that, especially with the recent drop of content, reducing new content, and the Hollywood strikes.

Most likely I'll keep Prime year round, and after my D+ year contract is up I'll bounce around services like many others

Too much content, too little time.

That's what it really boils down to. There's a lot of stuff I want to watch out there, but who has the time to consume it. The services are counting on customers signing up, but being too lazy to later cancel. I think streaming services are going to find out customers will not be so lazy, and then they'll be in a battle of spending too much $$$ for content to keep subscriptions up. People won't pay higher prices for cheap content

I really don't want to deal with ads, but Disney is insane to think to think their catalog is worth the price increase ... I think Hulu may have become the highest cost streaming platform after the hike? Seems like they're trying to price streaming like the theme parks, but I don't think D+ or Hulu can justify that, especially with the recent drop of content, reducing new content, and the Hollywood strikes.

Most likely I'll keep Prime year round, and after my D+ year contract is up I'll bounce around services like many others
If you don't care about Marvel and Star Wars (like me but there are others of my kind out there) Disney+ becomes a service that is 100% not worth the money especially now that there is a price hike.

I canceled Netflix forever ago due to lack of stuff I want to watch and now it seems like I won't be getting Disney+.

Same with us re: ads. Can't stand it. A big reason for why we haven't had cable since Netflix launched their streaming service.

I'm realizing that somehow we've ended up with lots of streaming services! Taking stock of them here in case it's useful for anyone to know how we've gotten many for free:

D+ & Hulu through a credit card explained above

Paramount+ is included with Walmart+, which is a perk of the same credit card. We watch Star Trek on there occasionally.

Peacock is free for a year with T-Mobile. After the year was up, I cancelled the service but Peacock didn't notice somehow and we still get it months later. We sometimes watch Brooklyn 99.

Apple TV through T-Mobile Tuesdays (it's an rewards app for subscribers, there's something free every Tuesday). Recently there was an offer for 6 months free. Need to watch the new season of Ted Lasso while we can.

Max (HBO & Discovery) through my father's cable login. We watch when HBO has some big show, last one was Succession.

Prime, though streaming isn't the primary purpose of having the service. Did see the LOTR series, and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (one of my favorite TV shows ever)

Netflix is included in my father's cable bill also, so we get it through him as well. I thought they were supposed to be cracking down on password sharing but nothing's happened 🤷‍♂️
We've had it this way for over a decade now.

So the only streaming I actually pay for directly are YouTube Premium and Spotify. Too much content, too little time.
This is certainly the problem with having to many services.

I am just like you, in that I have:

Hulu - Free from T-Mobile
D+/Espn+ - pay $7 a month extra for the bundle
Peacock - Free from T-Mobile
Apple TV - Free from T-Mobile or buying new Apple products
Paramount - $20 Black Friday deal for the year
Max - account from my Dad
Crunchyroll - Pay $60 or $70 for the year. The only service I really have to pay for as no real way to subsidize.

We had Netflix through my brother's account but got kicked off with the sharing crackdown but won't sign up as we have enough content and we used Netflix less than other services.

All in all i pay something like $15 a month for everything. If I was forced to pay full price for each service, I would probably keep Dis/Hulu bundle, Crunchyroll and Max.

If you don't care about Marvel and Star Wars (like me but there are others of my kind out there) Disney+ becomes a service that is 100% not worth the money especially now that there is a price hike.

I canceled Netflix forever ago due to lack of stuff I want to watch and now it seems like I won't be getting Disney+.

And that's why I don't think Disney would look to sell off Marvel or LucasFilm (or the Fox IPs) as they are the only shot at subscribers. I'm a born Marvel and Star Wars geek and and growing up on Disney as well D+ became my go-to streamer. I'm not planning to drop D+, but based on these prices I think it may drive me to the ad-based version when my contract is up

We had Netflix through my brother's account but got kicked off with the sharing crackdown but won't sign up as we have enough content and we used Netflix less than other services.

Iger mentioned that Disney will be cracking down on account sharing as well. This will also be another big focus of the streaming services going into 2024

And that's why I don't think Disney would look to sell off Marvel or LucasFilm (or the Fox IPs) as they are the only shot at subscribers. I'm a born Marvel and Star Wars geek and and growing up on Disney as well D+ became my go-to streamer. I'm not planning to drop D+, but based on these prices I think it may drive me to the ad-based version when my contract is up
Those IPs are what keep us. We will keep the ad free Disney+. We more than get our money's worth each month. I much prefer streaming to the theater.... and even with the price increase to 13.99/month....that is the same as a single movie ticket. Looking forward to Ahsoka...Loki.

We will likely cut Hulu. Keep Netflix.

Disney also benefits from parents keeping the service so kids can rewatch Encanto for the 30th time that day but yeah they mainly have the legacy content, Marvel and Star Wars. The crackdown on password sharing is making me hard pass too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter