Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Don’t shoot the messenger :duck:

Disney to raise price on ad-free Disney+ to $13.99 per month starting September 6

Commercial-free Disney+ will cost $13.99 per month, a 27% increase, beginning Sept. 6. Disney+ with ads will remain $7.99 per month. Disney will also expand its ad-tier offering to select markets in Europe and in Canada beginning Nov. 1.

Disney is increasing the price of Hulu without ads to $17.99 per month, a 20% price hike. Hulu with ads will also stay the same price, at $7.99 per month.

Disney to raise price on ad-free Disney+ to $13.99 per month starting September 6

Commercial-free Disney+ will cost $13.99 per month, a 27% increase, beginning Sept. 6. Disney+ with ads will remain $7.99 per month. Disney will also expand its ad-tier offering to select markets in Europe and in Canada beginning Nov. 1.

Disney is increasing the price of Hulu without ads to $17.99 per month, a 20% price hike. Hulu with ads will also stay the same price, at $7.99 per month.
I wonder what the Disney+ Premium (Annual) subscription will be? It was $79.99 last time my renewal was up (last November). The website stated it would be $69.95 for months leading up to my renewal date, but then changed to $79.99 two days before that day came. At least it was for the ad-free version. Now the only thing on the website is a "last payment" with date and price. Can't wait to see what they raise it to this time around, if they even let us (the from day one subscribers) do a yearly renewal anymore in the first place. The new monthly ad-free version comes out to $167.88 for the year. This is going to be ugly...

I wonder what the Disney+ Premium Annual subscription will be? It was $79.99 last time my renewal was up (last November). The website stated it would be $69.95 for months leading up to my renewal date, but then changed to $79.99 two days before that day came. At least it was for the add-free version. Now the only thing on the website is a "last payment" with date and price. Can't wait to see what they raise it to this time around, if they even let us (the from day one subscribers) do a yearly renewal anymore in the first place. The new monthly ad-free version comes out to $167.88 for the year. This is going to be ugly...
Year would be $139.90. A year subscription you only pay for 10 of the months.

Just saying that is still right around the cost of a single day ticket 🤣😂

That's what I figured, but was hoping for something a bit better for us. I'm not sure I can keep subscribing. I only watch when something new comes out and have two other subscriptions I'm paying for. It's too much!
They want to put distance between the ad-free and ad based like they previously stated. Now you’ll have the ad based at $7.99 and the ad-free at $13.99.

You're going to see this with a lot of streamers ... they need to FORCE people onto the ads for the revenue. It's not really about the $ increase in the add-free options, but trying to figure out a price that doesn't look crazy, but at the same time ensures people will switch to the add option. Disney really doesn't expect many to pay that $13.99, but they'll take your money if you're still nuts enough.

Between MAX, Netflix, Peacock, D+ etc ... we just need to prepare to be back to the days of ads on everything that you can't even skip. Peacock is being offered free to many Comcast subscribers, but if you take the offer you don't even have the option to pay a bit extra for the ad-free ... Peacock would rather give the service away to build up the advertising base.

It's not a pretty picture for the future of streaming

You're going to see this with a lot of streamers ... they need to FORCE people onto the ads for the revenue. It's not really about the $ increase in the add-free options, but trying to figure out a price that doesn't look crazy, but at the same time ensures people will switch to the add option. Disney really doesn't expect many to pay that $13.99, but they'll take your money if you're still nuts enough.

Between MAX, Netflix, Peacock, D+ etc ... we just need to prepare to be back to the days of ads on everything that you can't even skip. Peacock is being offered free to many Comcast subscribers, but if you take the offer you don't even have the option to pay a bit extra for the ad-free ... Peacock would rather give the service away to build up the advertising base.

It's not a pretty picture for the future of streaming
Comcast has started scaling back on providing peacock for free too.

Comcast has started scaling back on providing peacock for free.

Yep, they dropped the free for most subscribers but are still offering free ad-based for Diamond and Platinum customers as well as gig+ internet subs. I'm a Diamond member who was paying $3 a month for add-free. After they dropped free Peacock I had a choice of getting ad-based for free as a Diamond member or paying full price for ad-free. They would not allow a small upcharge to drop ads.

Yep, they dropped the free for most subscribers but are still offering free ad-based for Diamond and Platinum customers as well as gig+ internet subs. I'm a Diamond member who was paying $3 a month for add-free. After they dropped free Peacock I had a choice of getting ad-based for free as a Diamond member or paying full price for ad-free. They would not allow a small upcharge to drop ads.
I think it’s time for me to go with the subscribe, binge, cancel route…having only one pay stream at a time. I’ll hate waiting to see new SW or Marvel series, but that’s about all I’m watching anymore on D+. Releases are going to come at a much slower pace anyway. IDK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter