Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Well, Disney's audience is a little different, especially at MK. The bigger thrill rides don't work as well. That said, TRON is a pretty dang fast and intense coaster. It's short, but thrilling!
I'm not saying taking more chances with intensity and thrills but new kinda of attractions. It feels like every time Disney comes up with a new ride system they use to the point it's overused. Right now trackless dark rides are their thing.

Then I look at Universal and see all these new things they are trying out for the new park. That Donkey Kong coast looks very impressive.

I'm not saying taking more chances with intensity and thrills but new kinda of attractions. It feels like every time Disney comes up with a new ride system they use to the point it's overused. Right now trackless dark rides are their thing.

Then I look at Universal and see all these new things they are trying out for the new park. That Donkey Kong coast looks very impressive.

To be fair it took them forever to bring the trackless technology to the US. They built two new ones - Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway, BOTH of which are pretty great. The other is Ratatouille, and it's a clone of an existing ride. It's hard to say that they weren't pushing the limits with Rise! Guardians is also new and unique too. They've got plenty going on, I think.

I'm not sure WDW is so terribly out-of-balance. Every park has several things that are exhilarating, if not thrilling. Splash was among them, and Tiana's still will be, because they are not going to reprofile the ride mechanism, only re-skin it.

The Mission:Space "lesson" is that it doesn't pay for Disney to put in anything that is going to knock the socks off of an adrenaline junky. TRON is close to the upper limit. Putting Velocicoaster in WDW would be nearly pointless.

As for the trackless rides: I think they are great, and don't think of the ride mechanism as detracting from the uniqueness of the attraction. Disney has also done their fair share of innovating. Soarin' was a first-of-its kind, and while Guardians isn't unique (there are shades of Gringott's there), it is very unusual.

Universal doesn't get a pass on this either, given the number of attractions that are motion-base-plus-screen: Fallon, Kong, Fast&Furious, Minions part One, Spidey, Transformers, etc. etc. etc.

To be fair, TRON is easily the most intense coaster in MK. It is not a "mgea coaster" or anything, but I was surprised by how much kick it actually had.
I actually still think Space Mountain is more intense, but only due to how rough that track is in comparison.

I'm not sure WDW is so terribly out-of-balance. Every park has several things that are exhilarating, if not thrilling. Splash was among them, and Tiana's still will be, because they are not going to reprofile the ride mechanism, only re-skin it.

The Mission:Space "lesson" is that it doesn't pay for Disney to put in anything that is going to knock the socks off of an adrenaline junky.

As for the trackless rides: I think they are great, and don't think of the ride mechanism as detracting from the uniqueness of the attraction. Disney has also done their fair share of innovating. Soarin' was a first-of-its kind, and while Guardians isn't unique (there are shades of Gringott's there), it is very unusual.

Universal doesn't get a pass on this either, given the number of attractions that are motion-base-plus-screen: Fallon, Kong, Fast&Furious, Minions part One, Spidey, Transformers, etc. etc. etc.
The only one of these that is actually really good is Spiderman. It has great music, cool effects and is an all around fun experience. Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, Kong and Simpsons are all rides I wish Universal would revamp or get rid of.

The only one of these that is actually really good is Spiderman. It has great music, cool effects and is an all around fun experience. Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, Kong and Simpsons are all rides I wish Universal would revamp or get rid of.

I like Simpsons and Kong okay, but yeah, they do a LOT of screen based stuff. Spider-Man is definitely the superior ride.

Yeah, Disney coasters rely more on theming than ride intensity. If I were ranking WDW coasters by intenstiy, I would say:

Rock'n Rollercoaster
TRON Lightcycle / Run
Expedition Everest
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Space Mountain
Slinky Dog Dash
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Big Thunder Moutnain
Goofy's Sky School
Goofy's Sky School is on the other coast. I suspect you meant to say Barnstormer.

I can see that happening once Epic is done. If you look at what technology and ride systems they are using at Epic it's look like it's going to an amazing park with unique attractions.

I liked Fallon a lot. It was goofy and silly, and that was part of its charm. I also put the Simpsons in the "that's a hoot" category just for the irreverence of it all--if only the projection weren't so dim and muddy. I knew going in that F&F was going to be a parody of itself, but I thought Kong was anticipointing. Transformers was also a dud. Spiderman has some heart to it, while Transformers doesn't.

The one that hasn't been mentioned yet--and one of the best uses of "screen" anywhere in either park--is Bourne. That is very well done.

I can see that happening once Epic is done. If you look at what technology and ride systems they are using at Epic it's look like it's going to an amazing park with unique attractions.
I think so too. I think Universal will focus on "fixing" USF once Epic is done. Maybe get started on the Lost Continent replacement too. Epic looks really good. I'm excited.

I liked Fallon a lot. It was goofy and silly, and that was part of its charm. I also put the Simpsons in the "that's a hoot" category just for the irreverence of it all--if only the projection weren't so dim and muddy. I knew going in that F&F was going to be a parody of itself, but I thought Kong was anticipointing. Transformers was also a dud. Spiderman has some heart to it, while Transformers doesn't.

The one that hasn't been mentioned yet--and one of the best uses of "screen" anywhere in either park--is Bourne. That is very well done.
I'm not a fan of Jimmy Fallon and his show, so that definitely contributes to me not liking the ride. Out of those rides, I enjoyed Fast and the Furious the most since it's in the "so bad it's good" camp. I do think Springfield will be the first to go due to the theme park rights contract ending soon. I feel like those four rides in particular are valid in the criticisms many Disney parks only people have when they say Universal has too many screen rides that shake you up.

Haven't seen Bourne yet but have heard it's great.

As for the trackless rides: I think they are great, and don't think of the ride mechanism as detracting from the uniqueness of the attraction.
One of the other things that comes to mind is that the three WDW trackless rides live on a spectrum, measured by how much of the ride is a "motion illusion" based on embedding you in a moving environment without physially moving you much or at all. Remy is almost entirely this, Rise depends much more on physical props, and Railway feels sort of in the middle.

If you've ever been on Shanghai Pirates, that's another good example of a Railway-like mixed medium. (It's also awesomely great.)

I went into this expecting a brief respite and was blown away. I wish WDW would come up with a show even half as good as this one.

I went into this expecting a brief respite and was blown away. I wish WDW would come up with a show even half as good as this one.
Agreed. It's that type of attractions I'm talking about when I say Disney plays it safe.

As far as the trackless rides go they don't do it for me. They are missing the physical feeling. IMO Spiderman and Men In Black are my favorite dark rides. Mainly cause they balance theme and a bit of thrill the best.

If you wear eyeglasses I think the Universal 3D glasses SUCK so bad with the fast rides.... I spend the entire ride trying to hold them on. It is not that the Disney glasses are amazing, but most of the 3D rides are stationary for the most part, so it is easier to perch the glasses on top and enjoy. And I am too 'vision compromised" to even think of going without.

Bourne is in my top 5 of things to do at Universal. I wish Disney do something with screen/physical sets like that. They pioneered the tech with the Mandalorian production. How about an Encanto stage show with Casa Madrigal coming to life!?

Otoh, that is also why many ppl continue to visit wdw instead. If I want those kinda rides, I would go to universal. I like that Disney offers more variety.
This so much. No one on my family likes thrill rides, I wouldn't ride ToT even if you paid me. I go to Disney precisely because I can go on basically all the rides. If folks want something more thrilling (which I don't) Universal has them covered.

And that's not even counting ppl who can't go on thrill rides. Even if they wanted to.

This so much. No one on my family likes thrill rides, I wouldn't ride ToT even if you paid me. I go to Disney precisely because I can go on basically all the rides. If folks want something more thrilling (which I don't) Universal has them covered.

And that's not even counting ppl who can't go on thrill rides. Even if they wanted to.
You just described 50% of my household.
My adult DD would love to be able to do even mild coasters. She prob shouldn't go on Barnstormer but does 1x per trip since it's such a quick ride.

WDW offers a ton of things she can do even though there is a fairly long list of things her dr said she shouldn't.
Right but more & more their newer rides are not family-friendly. I certainly don’t want them to remove one ride that is & replace it with one that isn’t. And family-friendly doesn’t just mean kids. I personally don’t want to ride extreme coasters. I know a lot of adults who are the same. So wdw offers those experiences for us too.
It's nice WDW does offer a huge variety of experiences for people. If I had little ones I'd honestly not be going to Universal just yet.

We like Universal. But DD and DH can't do a lot at Universal. (DD also has a visual impairment that affects her ability to see 3D effects so between those and thrill rides, it leaves very little for her to do...last trip she made it a goal to see how many times she can do ET in a day, lol).

We like Universal, but when my teen and I go, DD and DH often don't come with us.

Bourne is in my top 5 of things to do at Universal. I wish Disney do something with screen/physical sets like that. They pioneered the tech with the Mandalorian production. How about an Encanto stage show with Casa Madrigal coming to life!?
The Bourne show is AMAZING.
Terrific idea! If only Disney would take one of the empty buildings and do something like this :)

The Bourne show is AMAZING.
Terrific idea! If only Disney would take one of the empty buildings and do something like this :)

I actually missed out on the Bourne show on my last trip to Uni. Still, based on waht it sounds liek, it's be an easy win for Disney to put something like that in one of the unused spaces, like where Stitch used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter