Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Oh, but that doesn't matter. It's a ride - it doesn't have to keep a strict continuity. That said, it doesn't have to be Facilier, BUT it still needs something to give it a little bit of harrowing adventure, and a great villain is a way to do that. He's the perfect choice really.

I'll give them a chance to make something interesting, it's just that so far every update they have provided have been decidedly uninteresting. I think it's fair to be apprehensive.
For me the story is only part of the ride. This is there chance to as a second drop to the ride and make truly a splash ride. I would love if they made it more like Dudley Do Right. I still believe they need more rides like Tower of Terror.

For me the story is only part of the ride. This is there chance to as a second drop to the ride and make truly a splash ride. I would love if they made it more like Dudley Do Right. I still believe they need more rides like Tower of Terror.
That ride gets you so wet, you might as well bring shampoo and conditioner LOL The theming on that is whatever but that last drop is very fun.

I doubt they will change the flume/track layout at all. They could always fake it with watter cannons though. The original had the "Slip'n Falls" which was kind of an early gotcha drop, then a small one in the dark portion that could get you a little wet, then the big one into the briar patch. Actually, that one is kinda faked too as the splash itself usually isn't that big, but water cannons made up for it. On cooler days they would switch those off and you wouldn't get that wet. The biggest danger lied in getting stopped near the waterfall before he final scene. That thing would just cascade sheets of water droplets at you!

I doubt they will change the flume/track layout at all. They could always fake it with watter cannons though. The original had the "Slip'n Falls" which was kind of an early gotcha drop, then a small one in the dark portion that could get you a little wet, then the big one into the briar patch. Actually, that one is kinda faked too as the splash itself usually isn't that big, but water cannons made up for it. On cooler days they would switch those off and you wouldn't get that wet. The biggest danger lied in getting stopped near the waterfall before he final scene. That thing would just cascade sheets of water droplets at you!
That's unfortunate. They need more Tower of Terror type attractions. I wish Disney would take some risks instead of playing it safe. It's one thing I love about Universal, they are willing to take chances with new attractions.

That's unfortunate. They need more Tower of Terror type attractions. I wish Disney would take some risks instead of playing it safe. It's one thing I love about Universal, they are willing to take chances with new attractions.

Well, Disney's audience is a little different, especially at MK. The bigger thrill rides don't work as well. That said, TRON is a pretty dang fast and intense coaster. It's short, but thrilling!

Well, Disney's audience is a little different, especially at MK. The bigger thrill rides don't work as well. That said, TRON is a pretty dang fast and intense coaster. It's short, but thrilling!
I know the audience is a little different but not everything needs to be family friendly.

Disney's audience is a little different
TRON is an interesting example of this idea. From the POV of "people who like roller coasters," it is decidedly average.

Another good example is Mission:Space. As originally designed, it overshot the mark, to the point where they neutered half of the ride---something that was necessary to improve ridership. My coaster-enthusiast daughter and I love Orange, but my wife is Green-only. Orange is about the only thing at WDW she won't do.

(None of us care much for Slinky either, but that's because it is boring and the line is always long.)

My wife also won't get anywhere near Velocicoaster, which might be the best coaster in Central FL. I say might because I haven't been on Iron Gwazi yet, and those RMC retrofits are usually fantastic. Those same coaster fans put Velocicoaster slightly ahead of IG, but both are in the top five.

"They're quicker than you realize, Claire."

TRON is an interesting example of this idea. From the POV of "people who like roller coasters," it is decidedly average.

Another good example is Mission:Space. As originally designed, it overshot the mark, to the point where they neutered half of the ride---something that was necessary to improve ridership. My coaster-enthusiast daughter and I love Orange, but my wife is Green-only. Orange is about the only thing at WDW she won't do.

(None of us care much for Slinky either, but that's because it is boring and the line is always long.)

My wife also won't get anywhere near Velocicoaster, which might be the best coaster in Central FL. I say might because I haven't been on Iron Gwazi yet, and those RMC retrofits are usually fantastic. Those same coaster fans put Velocicoaster slightly ahead of IG, but both are in the top five.

"They're quicker than you realize, Claire."
Yeah as someone who likes more intense coasters, I agree. I don't think Tron is intense at all. In my opinion it's kind of mediocre and I wouldn't pay the $20 ILL for it. On the flip side I love Guardians even if it's not insanely intense. In terms of coasters I've been on in Orlando (haven't been to Seaworld in 10+ years), Velocicoaster is the best and it's not even close.

In October I'll be going to Busch Gardens Tampa for the first time ever and hope to ride Iron Gwazi. I've heard it's amazing! I also like the look of Kumba and Cheetah Hunt.

Yeah as someone who likes more intense coasters, I agree. I don't think Tron is intense at all. In my opinion it's kind of mediocre and I wouldn't pay the $20 ILL for it. On the flip side I love Guardians even if it's not insanely intense. In terms of coasters I've been on in Orlando (haven't been to Seaworld in 10+ years), Velocicoaster is the best and it's not even close.

In October I'll be going to Busch Gardens Tampa for the first time ever and hope to ride Iron Gwazi. I've heard it's amazing! I also like the look of Kumba and Cheetah Hunt.

To clarify, I meant "pretty fast and intense for Disney." Certainly not even the cited Tower of Terror is super intense by the standards of more hardcore rides.

Velocicoaster makes me giddy, and I, literally, cannot stop smiling for about thirty minutes after I get off that ride. Tron is a Magic Kingdom-level roller coaster. I do enjoy it, but it’s not what I’d call a thrill ride.

I haven't ridden Iron Gwazi yet but Sheikra is also an amazing coaster as well as Cobra's Curse. IMO it's a better spinning coast let than Guardians.

With the exception of Rock N Rollercoaster I think most people expect Disney-coasters to be on the mild side. I kinda love that that was my default mindset because when I went to DLP and rode the Crush Coaster it was a pleasant surprise. That ride is deceptively thrilling. I'd love for WDW to do something like that.

Velocicoaster makes me giddy, and I, literally, cannot stop smiling for about thirty minutes after I get off that ride. Tron is a Magic Kingdom-level roller coaster. I do enjoy it, but it’s not what I’d call a thrill ride.

To be fair, TRON is easily the most intense coaster in MK. It is not a "mgea coaster" or anything, but I was surprised by how much kick it actually had.

To clarify, I meant "pretty fast and intense for Dsiney." Certainly not even the cited Tower of Terror is super intense by the standards of more hardcore rides.
Yeah that I agree with. If I would classify any Disney coaster as "intense", it would be Rockin Roller Coaster but that's mainly because of how much it shakes you up.

Same here! That ride is just so fun. Hagrid's too and that's not very intense. Out of all of the coasters in MK, Big Thunder is the best one. Makes me and the people I'm with laugh and we always get off with smiles on our faces.

Yeah that I agree with. If I would classify any Disney coaster as "intense", it would be Rockin Roller Coaster but that's mainly because of how much it shakes you up.

Same here! That ride is just so fun. Hagrid's too and that's not very intense. Out of all of the coasters in MK, Big Thunder is the best one. Makes me and the people I'm with laugh and we always get off with smiles on our faces.

Yeah, Disney coasters rely more on theming than ride intensity. If I were ranking WDW coasters by intenstiy, I would say:

Rock'n Rollercoaster
TRON Lightcycle / Run
Expedition Everest
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Space Mountain
Slinky Dog Dash
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Big Thunder Moutnain
Goofy's Barnstormer

Last edited:
Please God, No! We had to buy new clothes after that ride (and Bluto - once we got soaked on one we figured we might as well do the other). I do not want to be that wet walking around the park all day.

Otoh, that is also why many ppl continue to visit wdw instead. If I want those kinda rides, I would go to universal. I like that Disney offers more variety.

I know the audience is a little different but not everything needs to be family friendly.
Right but more & more their newer rides are not family-friendly. I certainly don’t want them to remove one ride that is & replace it with one that isn’t. And family-friendly doesn’t just mean kids. I personally don’t want to ride extreme coasters. I know a lot of adults who are the same. So wdw offers those experiences for us too.

Certainly not even the cited Tower of Terror is super intense by the standards of more hardcore rides.
Tower gets bonus points for dropping you slightly faster-than-gravity, and extra bonus points for doing it more than once. Strictly better than pretty much any drop tower I can think of. The only "downside" (if you can call it that) is that the tower is enclosed so you don't get the lizard-brain vertigo that you get out in the open. Of course, it's the enclosure that makes it so cool, and the sliding doors add some pizazz as well.

A good example of the lizard-brain effect is Dollywood's Drop Line. It's not only that it's tall, it's also positioned on a hillside that gives it a commanding view of the surrounding area, and makes it feel even taller.

The Cedar Fair Windseekers are also good examples of lizard-brain moments. The gondolas are quite far from the center post and are very open to the air, which increases the sense that you're just precariously hanging there, ready to fall to your death at any moment.

To clarify, I meant "pretty fast and intense for Disney." Certainly not even the cited Tower of Terror is super intense by the standards of more hardcore rides.
I agree and IMO they need more rides like that. What can't there be a balance? One thing I wish they would stop is trackless rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter