Disney gift cards on the wish

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We can use Disney gift cards in the ship (Wish) right for merchandise and the bars and extra food and stuff?

Thanks in advance

BH5

If you put a gift card on your account to pay your stateroom bill, you'll need to ensure that if there's any unused funds left on the account, you go to Guest Services prior to disembarking and have them put back on the card. It's not automatic anymore.

I don't think the shops/bars will take gift cards. As others said, you can apply the gift cards to your onboard account (which then you use your key to the world card to buy merchandise, drinks, etc.).

EDITED based on later post: apparently at least the shops will take gift cards.

Last edited:

If you apply the gift cards to your room account, they will be used before charges are applied to the credit card on file.

(I give myself an Onboard Credit gift pre-cruise, saving me a trip to Guest Services. But you also don’t have to run to Guest Services on Day 1 - long line - to apply them, either. They don’t process charges until you reach a certain $ amount, perhaps a few hundred.)

If you put a gift card on your account to pay your stateroom bill, you'll need to ensure that if there's any unused funds left on the account, you go to Guest Services prior to disembarking and have them put back on the card. It's not automatic anymore.
Oh drats. I wish i had known this earlier.
Is there a way to retreive funds after the cruise? Luckily it’s not a whole lot, but still

I bought onboard credit ahead of time and paid with my gif cards (after applying them all to one). Then I didn't have to wait in line that first day (line was very long at GS).

Is there a way to retreive funds after the cruise? Luckily it’s not a whole lot, but still

I don‘t see how they can keep your money; it’s not a non-refundable credit (like an onboard bonus from DCL). Have you checked your folio to see if you were due a refund? And verified that the gift card is not showing a balance of that refund amount?

I don‘t see how they can keep your money; it’s not a non-refundable credit (like an onboard bonus from DCL). Have you checked your folio to see if you were due a refund? And verified that the gift card is not showing a balance of that refund amount?
I kept them on the disney giftcard site so i should see a balance update?
I’ll see if i can contact dcl about it

I kept them on the disney giftcard site so i should see a balance update?
I’ll see if i can contact dcl about it
Yes, check for a balance. THEN DELETE any card you have on that site (make notes of card numbers and values if you don't have physical cards). There's a thread on the Budget forum about people who have had their accounts hacked and lost funds on cards that are kept on that site. Only put cards on there long enough to consolidate, then remove again.

They shouldn't have even let you disembark. When we tried to get off the ship, a big red X came up on my picture on the screen and they sent me to GS to tidy up the situation. This was on the Wish earlier this year. When I questioned them and said it had always gone back automatically before when I disembarked they said it was new. If it let you disembark, maybe it was automatic? Was is the Wish or another ship? Maybe this is a Wish-only thing that will be getting rolled out soon to the others?

THis was on Dream (may 27)
I normally don't keep gift cards in the disney account, I only kept them this time just to make sure if there was going to be a refund, was hoping it indeed would go automatically.
Anyway, not the end of the world, but why should I give Disney more money than nessesary.
I have more important things to deal with right now, it's still approx a monthly dues payment.

I don't think the shops/bars will take gift cards. As others said, you can apply the gift cards to your onboard account (which then you use your key to the world card to buy merchandise, drinks, etc.).
The shops definitely do. We took about 2k in gift cards and we used them in the shops onboard and also at the shops in castaway cay. The bars we just charged to the room and cleared our account every night

THis was on Dream (may 27)
I normally don't keep gift cards in the disney account, I only kept them this time just to make sure if there was going to be a refund, was hoping it indeed would go automatically.
Anyway, not the end of the world, but why should I give Disney more money than nessesary.
I have more important things to deal with right now, it's still approx a monthly dues payment.
We did get two notices on the app about needing to go to guest services on Friday because we hadn‘t used up our gift card. But we knew we wouldn’t have a balance after Palo dinner that evening so didn’t go. But the alert was quite pushy. I know the app is not totally reliable but maybe you did use it up? You should be able to pull up the folio if your charges on the Castaway Club part of the website.

The shops definitely do. We took about 2k in gift cards and we used them in the shops onboard and also at the shops in castaway cay. The bars we just charged to the room and cleared our account every night
Ok, I stand corrected! I never knew that.

We did get two notices on the app about needing to go to guest services on Friday because we hadn‘t used up our gift card. But we knew we wouldn’t have a balance after Palo dinner that evening so didn’t go. But the alert was quite pushy. I know the app is not totally reliable but maybe you did use it up? You should be able to pull up the folio if your charges on the Castaway Club part of the website.
I got it. They refunded to a different gift card so I had to look through all my gazillion giftcard numbers.
But im good now 👍

The outcome was, you do not have to go to guest services to get a refund of unused gift card $ applied back to your gift card ? Is that correct ?

The outcome was, you do not have to go to guest services to get a refund of unused gift card $ applied back to your gift card ? Is that correct ?
My experience on the Wish earlier this year was that I DID have to go to Guest Services to have my remaining money refunded back to the card that we didn't use on our stateroom account. They would not let me disembark without doing so. It was NOT automatic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter