Disney eliminates outside vendor drop off/pickup services. Must meet vendor for drop off/pickup (mobility devices only so far it seems)

The issue here is definitely ECVs/wheelchairs and not strollers. We’ve done Disney 6 times with all ages of kids from 3m up. You can check a stroller, rent a stroller in park (arguably easier than dealing with one on Disney buses), wear a baby etc., etc. We usually check a stroller as if one is *really* necessary to keep the little ones contained (I understand, been there!) then it’s helpful to have in the airport also.

ECVs are bigger to store, more expensive to purchase, and, I would argue, more absolutely necessary for the family. Disney will have to figure out a way around this one.

Lots of people are not reading the posted links. More knee jerk reacting over something that was announced less than 24 hours ago.

Not to mention that it still hasn’t been officially announced by Disney. All of this information is second hand and most of what people are reacting to is false. You’ll still be able to get your stroller and wheelchair at the resort from your company of choice, you’ll just have to be there to get it.

FWIW, I booked a wheelchair with Apple Scooters yesterday for drop off at WL and pick-up at AKL for a trip in December. I spoke with the rep to make sure they would still pick up at a different resort than the drop off, and she told me how to go about doing that online. Maybe this is rumor, or maybe Apple doesn't know yet...who knows. I'm planning on it unless I find out differently.

Not to mention that it still hasn’t been officially announced by Disney. All of this information is second hand and most of what people are reacting to is false. You’ll still be able to get your stroller and wheelchair at the resort from your company of choice, you’ll just have to be there to get it.

Sure, but flights get delayed, traffic happens, the magical express waits longer than you anticipated, etc. I always get my stroller delivered on our arrival day, and if I'm staying at a spread out resort I like to have it waiting at bell services so I can pick it up on the way to the room instead of having to haul my kid and my luggage all the way to my room then come all the way back to get it at a designated time. That way we're all set and ready to go the moment we arrive.

Sure, but flights get delayed, traffic happens, the magical express waits longer than you anticipated, etc. I always get my stroller delivered on our arrival day, and if I'm staying at a spread out resort I like to have it waiting at bell services so I can pick it up on the way to the room instead of having to haul my kid and my luggage all the way to my room then come all the way back to get it at a designated time. That way we're all set and ready to go the moment we arrive.

You could fly with your stroller or use bell services to deliver your luggage.

ECVs are bigger to store, more expensive to purchase, and, I would argue, more absolutely necessary for the family. Disney will have to figure out a way around this one.

I would say the new policy is Disney's way around it. They don't have the room to store all of the scooters and strollers they are being sent, so they are telling guests they must be there to get them.

I also don’t understand the problem with this policy - all Disney is doing is asking guests to take ownership when the rental is delivered.
I would think if someone was driving to the resort meeting the vendor would be easy to coordinate since you can arrive at a time of your choosing.
If you are arriving by air you may have to make your flights at a time that allowed you to meet with the vendor.
Wouldn’t the renter want to be there to meet the vendor to make sure everything was in good working order?
This is a private contract between you and the vendor and has nothing to do with Disney. I’m sure the vendors will work with you about late or delayed arrivals. After all, they want your business.

I would say the new policy is Disney's way around it. They don't have the room to store all of the scooters and strollers they are being sent, so they are telling guests they must be there to get them.

I've seen the pictures of ECVs lined up waiting for guest or company pickup. Disney could solve this by limiting how long a company can leave an ECV at bell services. They probably don't pickup and dropoff multiple times a day.

I've seen the pictures of ECVs lined up waiting for guest or company pickup. Disney could solve this by limiting how long a company can leave an ECV at bell services. They probably don't pickup and dropoff multiple times a day.

Then Disney would need CMs to be checking some sort of time stamp on each unit. And if it is there too long, what? Call the company and demand pickup?

Then Disney would need CMs to be checking some sort of time stamp on each unit. And if it is there too long, what? Call the company and demand pickup?

I'm confident that there is a section of ECV waiting for guest pickup and another section waiting for vendor pickup. Seems like they could do something so that the ECVs aren't waiting hours and hours for pickup in either direction. Or, force vendors to drop off and pick up every few hours.

Alternatively, they can simply ban the use of bell services for such items.

I think it’s possible to understand the need for a policy change yet also feel annoyed at the inconvenience that said policy change causes you or others.

There is no argument it’s easier on the guest to pick up your stroller, ECV, wheelchair, etc. at your convenience whenever you arrive rather than having to meet at a certain time. There are many factors that can impact that meeting time, the most obvious being flight delays. There’s also the consideration that these outside companies are not likely to be meeting round the clock. I would imagine for most that would require a massive shift in how their companies are run and staffing into hours where they are usually closed. That’s inconvenient for stroller renters who would need to wait until the morning for their stroller, but for users of mobility devices that’s a bigger issue. Some people cannot be choosy about flight arrival times and have maybe one or two options to get into Orlando. They get there when they get there.

It doesn’t strike me as another nickel and dime move, as it doesn’t seem Disney is attempting to create an easy revenue stream here (like parking), rather control what is delivered to their bell services desks. But it’s another wrench in a WDW vacation and nobody should be surprised when people who are directly impacted are upset, even when there are plausible explanations for changes.

It is never a good idea to make things more difficult for people with disabilities. What is a single mom with mobility issues and young children supposed to do? Is she just not supposed to take her kids anymore to Disney if she can’t guarantee when she will arrive or if she is unable to pay a premium for the ecv company Disney partners with?
100% agree.

I think it’s possible to understand the need for a policy change yet also feel annoyed at the inconvenience that said policy change causes you or others.

It doesn’t strike me as another nickel and dime move, as it doesn’t seem Disney is attempting to create an easy revenue stream here (like parking), rather control what is delivered to their bell services desks. But it’s another wrench in a WDW vacation and nobody should be surprised when people who are directly impacted are upset, even when there are plausible explanations for changes.

This. I’m not surprised that Disney is changing the policy, and can understand the reasons.

However, I AM surprised and disappointed that it’s so sudden (three days notice!!!) and that Disney is not providing their own version (for a fee, of course :crazy2:) to those who rely on this service. A fee ($25 maybe?) would probably keep 50% of scooters out of Bell Services, but still provide the service to people who really appreciate and rely upon it.

I hope that there is an update to the new policy which we haven’t seen which will provide for this. This abrupt across-the-board ban seems extreme to me.

There is NOTHING about the new policy on the DPB yet. When they changed the rules on smoking and stroller sizes and ice there was a post. I think people should wait for the official word from Disney before panicking.

There is NOTHING about the new policy on the DPB yet. When they changed the rules on smoking and stroller sizes and ice there was a post. I think people should wait for the official word from Disney before panicking.

Disney is often the last to release info lol.

I think the companies that have been directly contacted by Disney are a pretty reliable source, unless Disney goes back on it of course.

Not sure if Disney would even need to make a formal announcement. Anybody already booked is grandfathered in. Anybody who makes a new booking with a company that cannot leave the item at Bell Services can be told at that time and arrangements would be made.

I’ll be curious to read Disney’s official word on this.

In the meantime, my reaction is one of confusion and dismay. I have a family member who occasionally is unable to walk long distances due to a medical condition. My car is not large enough to make our luggage and the wheelchair fit. When we travel and my family member is unwell, we request wheelchair assistance at the airport and rent a wheelchair or ECV to be delivered to our resort. If our flight is delayed, which happens somewhat frequently, unfortunately, it creates a major problem for us at the larger resorts if we aren’t able to have mobility equipment waiting. For example, we recently had a weather delay; by the time it was safe for the Denver airport to reopen, we loaded back onto the plane and then sat on the tarmac waiting for our turn for take off. By the time we were at the front of the line, our flight crew would have timed out if they had made the 4+ hour flight. We had to return to the gate and wait for the airline to see if they could locate a reserve crew to take the flight. The whole ordeal took many, many hours. We didn’t arrive at Disney until nearly 4AM. If something like this happened when my family member who needs a wheelchair/ECV was with us, we would not have been able to make it to our room, especially at a larger resort. As I see it, our choice here would be to stay overnight at the Orlando airport, reschedule our wheelchair/ECV drop-off for the following day, and then try to get Disney to refund the first night of our stay. Of course I could buy a larger car to fit luggage and a wheelchair or look into a car service that could accommodate a wheelchair and luggage, but I’d prefer not to do these things. I also know that while we own a wheelchair and thankfully have options (not ones I like; this throws a monkey wrench into our usual plans), there are other families with situations like ours who don’t own a wheelchair; this decision of Disney’s becomes a game changer for them.

I will be curious to see what happens here...

The issue here is definitely ECVs/wheelchairs and not strollers. We’ve done Disney 6 times with all ages of kids from 3m up. You can check a stroller, rent a stroller in park (arguably easier than dealing with one on Disney buses), wear a baby etc., etc. We usually check a stroller as if one is *really* necessary to keep the little ones contained (I understand, been there!) then it’s helpful to have in the airport also.

Actually, I think it's aimed more at the strollers than ECVs. My thinking is WDW wants to promote their stroller program (think on the recent ban of 31.5" wide load strollers) and isn't interested in putting aside more space to hold them. ECVs are needed by the vast amt of guests who need them (discounting the dubious tales and logic of people who rent them so they can drink longer, LOL) and ADA protected if not legally than within the parameters of their business model. Certainly, holding either item is space and labour expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter