After the desired buzz cut
WDW_090214_0294.jpg

And...pixie dust!

WDW_090214_0293.jpg

WDW_090214_0295.jpg

And the tricky hair
WDW_090214_0296.jpg

WDW_090214_0300.jpg

Sorry I don't have spa pictures... I forgot to mention the GF had the floors strewn with rose petals for valentines day...Kind of neat!

My DSis and I had facials at the AKL spa not too long ago. We had staff member, Tracey, from the SSR come over, and boy was I glad! I've had several facials and this was my favorite! The tech had a soft-spoken manner, which fit right in with the mood of the darkened room. Her touch was so relaxing, and I loved the product. She didn't press us to purchase...quite the contrary; but gave us a form filled in with the products that she used on us. I checked the prices online and the cost of the product (amala) is outrageous, compared to what I spend on cosmetics. I wish they were not; I'd love to use them!

Reporting back! Grand Floridian Spa Pedicure
This is great. I've been waiting with baited breath for your spa report. I'm so glad that you and DSD had a good pedi experience. I'll have to tell DW. I've never had a pedi before. I think I need to try it someday.

Wilderness Lodge Massage
From the sound of it, you described Rachel R. It makes me very happy to know you got exactly what you wanted. :woohoo:

Main Street Barber
Yeah...the MSB is one of WDW's best kept secrets...until now.:rotfl: But seriously, we didn't know about it until my DW's cousin told us before we went last year. It worked out perfectly for our one year old DS. He received his first hair cut certificate, a lock of his hair, & the ears. SO COOL. His barber - Penny, was awesome with babies. She was a natural. Now the barber our 4 year old DS had, was neither here nor there, not very warm & fuzzy. But she gave him a nice hair cut. He got the pixie dust too. I guess we forgot to take a picture of the pixie dust. :confused3 But I got it all on video though. The MSB was so crowded and busy that day, that we're glad the kids didn't have a meltdown. But yeah...we highly recommend it too. We'll forever treasure that moment. :love:
disneyandmisc074small.jpg

disneyandmisc076small.jpg

disneyandmisc078small.jpg

disneyandmisc082small.jpg

disneyandmisc083small.jpg

My DSis and I had facials at the AKL spa not too long ago. We had staff member, Tracey, from the SSR come over, and boy was I glad! I've had several facials and this was my favorite! The tech had a soft-spoken manner, which fit right in with the mood of the darkened room. Her touch was so relaxing, and I loved the product. She didn't press us to purchase...quite the contrary; but gave us a form filled in with the products that she used on us. I checked the prices online and the cost of the product (amala) is outrageous, compared to what I spend on cosmetics. I wish they were not; I'd love to use them!
I was wondering how the esthetics were at AKL. DW will like this report too.

Thanks so much for sharing. GREAT TRIP REPORTS!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

This is great. I've been waiting with baited breath for your spa report. I'm so glad that you and DSD had a good pedi experience. I'll have to tell DW. I've never had a pedi before. I think I need to try it someday.

A good pedi is a beautiful thing! I have to admit, the woman next to me was getting a mani and a pedi done at the same time and that looked awfully nice. I do plan to check on the ivy trellis though. A normal full pedi should run about $35. I found the massage prices to be what I'd expected but this was a bit high but of course we got "more" than you would at a standard pedi. I would not have minded if she'd been a little more aggressive on my calluses. But for "big girl" treat this was a pedi unlike anything DSD had ever had or seen and that was pretty special. It is just beautiful there. And btw...no product pushing at all. Not even mentioned actually!

From the sound of it, you described Rachel R. It makes me very happy to know you got exactly what you wanted. :woohoo:

Yep! Exactly what I wanted and honestly, having that little bit of weight lifting time before actually worked out well to warm up my muscles. I was thrilled and this felt like a good value! She was PERFECT! I think I need 80 minutes next time.

Yeah...the MSB is one of WDW's best kept secrets...until now.:rotfl: But seriously, we didn't know about it until my DW's cousin told us before we went last year. It worked out perfectly for our one year old DS. He received his first hair cut certificate, a lock of his hair, & the ears. SO COOL. His barber - Penny, was awesome with babies. She was a natural. Now the barber our 4 year old DS had, was neither here nor there, not very warm & fuzzy. But she gave him a nice hair cut. He got the pixie dust too. I guess we forgot to take a picture of the pixie dust. :confused3 But I got it all on video though. The MSB was so crowded and busy that day, that we're glad the kids didn't have a meltdown. But yeah...we highly recommend it too. We'll forever treasure that moment. :love:

How cute! I only knew about it through this board, I'd looked at the "cool dude" thing at BBB for DS9 (DS8 hates having "stuff" in his hair) and when I found out about MSB I was so thrilled. They needed a haircut in the worst way and we saw 3 different barbers while we were there. All were magical with the kids, truly special people who just seemed to love what they do. I guarantee you, DS9 will be getting a haircut there until he's 70 whenever we/he goes, that's how much he loved it.

I was wondering how the esthetics were at AKL. DW will like this report too.
Mnn! That makes me want a facial on the next trip! Or that hot stone massage lol. All depends on where we stay!

Thanks so much for sharing. GREAT TRIP REPORTS!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

And now to figure out how to get a next trip, sooner than later! :)

Planecrazy4dis, I was not impressed with the AKL spa itself (had too many other nicer ones in my spa repertoire). The exercise room being the first thing you see when you enter, it's not something that puts me in a relaxed frame of mind..:lmao: There was really no room to lounge in while waiting for your service, but I do understand that it is a very small spa. I hope to try the GF spa on my next trip.
If by esthetics you simply meant the actual service room feel, then it was just fine...

Planecrazy4dis, I was not impressed with the AKL spa itself (had too many other nicer ones in my spa repertoire). The exercise room being the first thing you see when you enter, it's not something that puts me in a relaxed frame of mind..:lmao: There was really no room to lounge in while waiting for your service, but I do understand that it is a very small spa. I hope to try the GF spa on my next trip.
If by esthetics you simply meant the actual service room feel, then it was just fine...

Some are "spas" and others are simply massage and fitness centers. I'm not sure where AKL falls but WL is definitely in the later, GF in the former so very very different feel.

After being an employee for both the Four Seasons & currently at the Ritz for many years, I too expect certain standards at a spa. (that can be good & bad) With that being said, eandesmom is unfortunately right, most of the Disney resorts are basically fitness centers with a few treatment rooms for massage & facials. And Zahanati Massage & Fitness Center at AKL is one of those little limited spaces. GF is probably the spa with the most atmosphere, because it is free standing and they have the room and the staff to cater to your needs. I don't know from experience, but I heard SSR has a pretty good size spa. Does anyone know how the atmosphere is? I haven't tried Mandara Spa at the Swan & Dolphin yet either. From what I have read about the Mandara company, they are known for their Zen like theme. Has anyone tried Mandara? Oh...BTW...Four Seasons is coming to WDW property (I think 2012). You can bank on it that their spa will rock.

After being an employee for both the Four Seasons & currently at the Ritz for many years, I too expect certain standards at a spa. (that can be good & bad) With that being said, eandesmom is unfortunately right, most of the Disney resorts are basically fitness centers with a few treatment rooms for massage & facials. And Zahanati Massage & Fitness Center at AKL is one of those little limited spaces. GF is probably the spa with the most atmosphere, because it is free standing and they have the room and the staff to cater to your needs. I don't know from experience, but I heard SSR has a pretty good size spa. Does anyone know how the atmosphere is? I haven't tried Mandara Spa at the Swan & Dolphin yet either. From what I have read about the Mandara company, they are known for their Zen like theme. Has anyone tried Mandara? Oh...BTW...Four Seasons is coming to WDW property (I think 2012). You can bank on it that their spa will rock.

Technically only 2 of the resort locations are considered spas. The GF and SSR. Their menu of offerings do differ. All of the rest, and there are 6 sites, are massage and fitness centers. I guess for me, it is exactly what I expected given that title. I used to get a regular massage at my gym and it was basically the same with a slightly nicer room. It had music and candles and sure it was basic (although I"m pretty sure that she had a steamer going during the deep tissue, it sounded like it) but it definitely met my needs. I think it's all about what type of experience you are looking for. I looked into Mandara and it seemed pricier than the GF but it was somewhat irrelevant as it was so much easier to get to the GF than the other locations that I didn't consider anything else.

If we stay in the Epcot area next time I will try the SSR location for sure!

Some are "spas" and others are simply massage and fitness centers. I'm not sure where AKL falls but WL is definitely in the later, GF in the former so very very different feel.

Oh, I'd say it falls in the massage and fitness center catagory..

We had a very early spa reservation at the Grand Floridian, 8am! We decided to grab some coffee, or in my case tea, and walk instead of the monorail. It was fantastic! The Princess race or something was going on and they had a bunch of characters waving to the runners...we saw Peter Pan and Wendy at one spot, Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter in another and lastly was Belle and the Beast....it was so cool!

The GF spa is aaaaamazing! This was DH's first ever spa experience and after yesterday it will not be his last. We were shown to our separate dressing rooms, the ladies room had lockers, showers, the sauna, steam room and the hot tub, shampoo and the other necessities too. Nice robes, flip flops and towels too. A big bowl of oranges, water with a hint of green tea and many hot teas (organic and green) to choose from.

I met my massage therapist Amy and we met up with DH and his guy Dale, we smelled 6 different aromotherapy oils and DH picked the most popular one, a heavy antioxident one and I had the lavender vanilla.

We were led into a huge room, very dim with wonderful music and lighting. The tables were right next to each other but not too close. The techs were to die for....for me she hit all the right spots in my neck and shoulders and for DH the same plus his head. It was heaven and the time flew by!

When we were finished I said, meet back here at 10am and we will go to Chef Mickeys....take all the time you need cuz I plan on doing that too!

Back in the ladies lounge I relaxed in the sauna, the steam room, the spa, I drank soooo much water and ate and orange. Then I showered using the best Grapefruit scented shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion etc....it was the best. The shower is huge and the water comes from this humongous head up top. Little did I know DH was in the mens lounge doing the same thing!

We both walked out at the same time, we were so jelly like and relaxed and staving! I wanted to buy the shampoo and stuff but it is $100 for the set so I said forget it! We used our AP for a 10% discount too.

Cannot wait to go back here! I think in October we are going to spend our Saturday before we leave at the Saratoga Springs Spa or the Dolphin Spa for a full day treatment with wraps and facials and stuff! We enjoyed it so much that we want to do it again but for a longer time!

If you guys ever get the chance check out the GF spa, it is wonderful!

Any idea why the Niki Bryan links do not work...not even on the Disney website....trying to get a service and price list for the SSR

I am trying to get my husband to do this. His main concern is how do they keep you draped...he is concerned and kinda shy.

I am trying to get my husband to do this. His main concern is how do they keep you draped...he is concerned and kinda shy.

DH was worried too...he wore his briefs, you have a robe on and they are totally discreet and draped him just fine

I was concerned about this the very first time I had a massage. They are trained in how to drape/undrape the sheet as they work on specific areas. I always have a man do me and I've never had a problem or been worried about it. Now, if he would just look like Brad Pitt or someone. :goodvibes

We had a very early spa reservation at the Grand Floridian, 8am! We decided to grab some coffee, or in my case tea, and walk instead of the monorail. It was fantastic! The Princess race or something was going on and they had a bunch of characters waving to the runners...we saw Peter Pan and Wendy at one spot, Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter in another and lastly was Belle and the Beast....it was so cool!

The GF spa is aaaaamazing! This was DH's first ever spa experience and after yesterday it will not be his last. We were shown to our separate dressing rooms, the ladies room had lockers, showers, the sauna, steam room and the hot tub, shampoo and the other necessities too. Nice robes, flip flops and towels too. A big bowl of oranges, water with a hint of green tea and many hot teas (organic and green) to choose from.

I met my massage therapist Amy and we met up with DH and his guy Dale, we smelled 6 different aromotherapy oils and DH picked the most popular one, a heavy antioxident one and I had the lavender vanilla.

We were led into a huge room, very dim with wonderful music and lighting. The tables were right next to each other but not too close. The techs were to die for....for me she hit all the right spots in my neck and shoulders and for DH the same plus his head. It was heaven and the time flew by!

When we were finished I said, meet back here at 10am and we will go to Chef Mickeys....take all the time you need cuz I plan on doing that too!

Back in the ladies lounge I relaxed in the sauna, the steam room, the spa, I drank soooo much water and ate and orange. Then I showered using the best Grapefruit scented shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion etc....it was the best. The shower is huge and the water comes from this humongous head up top. Little did I know DH was in the mens lounge doing the same thing!

We both walked out at the same time, we were so jelly like and relaxed and staving! I wanted to buy the shampoo and stuff but it is $100 for the set so I said forget it! We used our AP for a 10% discount too.

Cannot wait to go back here! I think in October we are going to spend our Saturday before we leave at the Saratoga Springs Spa or the Dolphin Spa for a full day treatment with wraps and facials and stuff! We enjoyed it so much that we want to do it again but for a longer time!

If you guys ever get the chance check out the GF spa, it is wonderful!

MickeyNiki, thank you so much for this detailed post! My fiance and I have been discussing getting a couples massage at GF but were unsure what all went with it - we even discussed whether we needed to go back to our resort to shower before getting the massage (we're going in August so we may be a little...how do you say...SWEATY!!). Your description sounds wonderful and I am now very excited about it.

Here's a general question for everybody out there: can you request the gender of the person who gives you the massage? For whatever reason, the fiance would rather not have a guy massage him (go figure!).

MickeyNiki, thank you so much for this detailed post! My fiance and I have been discussing getting a couples massage at GF but were unsure what all went with it - we even discussed whether we needed to go back to our resort to shower before getting the massage (we're going in August so we may be a little...how do you say...SWEATY!!). Your description sounds wonderful and I am now very excited about it.

Here's a general question for everybody out there: can you request the gender of the person who gives you the massage? For whatever reason, the fiance would rather not have a guy massage him (go figure!).

I am sure you can. I know that every other spa I've gone to they asked if I had a preference.

Can anyone compare/contrast the spas at GF and SSR?
DW and I had a couples massage at GF when we were at WDW two visits ago, and were thinking of having another couples massage when we visit in August, this time at SSR.
The Unofficial Guide seems to like the spa at SSR a little better, so we were thinking of trying that and then heading over to Downtown Disney for some shopping.
(Semi OT: how far is it and what is the best way to get from SSR to DD?)

TIA!

Hi does anyone know if the Spa at SSR offers a couples massage?

Thanks

I was just looking at their website today, and they indeed offer it:
Couple's Relaxation Package 2 hours $400
Couple's Aromatherapy Massage 50 & 80 minutes $270/$380

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter