Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

When I make the dress, I just use 2 layers of fabric. Muslin will work fine. I have used one Disney fabric and one "regular" so that it can be turned inside out and worn on non-Disney occasions. (naturally, you have to line the skirt, too!)

Piper said:
When I make the dress, I just use 2 layers of fabric. Muslin will work fine. I have used one Disney fabric and one "regular" so that it can be turned inside out and worn on non-Disney occasions. (naturally, you have to line the skirt, too!)

Thanks! I'm doing 2 layers because I'm NOT buying more fabric! I am not worried about wearability outside of Disney occasions, the girls are turning 3 and I think at that age a Minnie mouse dress is appropriate at *every* occasion.

I have boys so this dress thing is uncharted territory for me.

I'm sorry I can't help with the embroidery machine questions, but I just had to say that I kind of like the sketchy look of the finished project. It would be great for a teen or an adult Stitch fan.

Probably not what you were looking for, but maybe a little bit brighter side to the whole frustrating experience.

Good luck with your future embroideries.

Thank you, I decided that I kinda like it too!

And thank you everyone for your help - I finally did it!!!

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot. :rolleyes2

Yes, I can laugh at myself now!! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot. :rolleyes2

Looks great! That must be a huge relief--at least you know you won't be making that mistake again, and it wasn't a bigger problem with your machine.

I always use all 3 layers with my Simply Sweet and just put scrap fabric between them. I never thought of making it with just the bodice & lining fabrics and skipping the underlining but of course it would make it lighter. Are there any other advantages other than saving time, fabric and making a cooler dress (those are a lot of advantages lol) and how does the finished bodice feel compared to one made with all 3 layers?

I decided had better check in on what my sewing friends have been up to lately and I land on page two (hopefully - if the internet here in Alaska agrees)! Yeah, I have never been this close before. But now I gotta go to the last thread to catch up a little. I will post the first picture before I leave.

For my cruise in May and October:
552035_10150717370168016_1618894012_a.jpg

For 24 hours/leap day at Magic Kingdom - it says 4 parks 24 hours. I also made my shirt.
421182_10150587053878016_2094591980_n.jpg

I am not sure why the first one is so small the second one is so big. Eeks!

:wave2: Glad you popped in. We hadn't heard from you in a while. Love the bag and outfit. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in February.

I am loving the lauches on facebook. I really need to start putting disnames to real names on facebook. I loved selling my creations but I stopped because I didn't like recreating the same outfit over and over again. The launches would be great because you sell stuff you have already made. Who thought of that that? You are a genius!! :lovestruc What launches are the Diser's members of? I have Magical Dreams and Friends. Is there anymore?

The one that some of us are in is called Main Street Boutique

Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three :worried: per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

:confused3

sewing070.jpg

Those look awesome:goodvibes

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

th_IMAG0471.jpg

Thanks for helping !

Cool pattern... no ideas for you except it would look cool as the white Mary Poppins dress.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts :)

I've bought alot of fabric:rolleyes1 from THIS AND THAT FROM JAPAN. She is wonderful to deal with.

QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?

I've only made the dress twice and only used 2 layers.

Glad you figured it out.
Lesson 1: when embroidering only use your Embroidery Foot :rotfl:

QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?

I have made several and have used two different things for the underlining..on lighter fabrics I have some pink striped fabric that I dont like but someone gave me a ton of it...I have used that the most. On one dark purple dress I used a scrap of a print that did not show through. I think any scrap fabric would be fine as long as it did not show through the outside layer.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts :)

I buy on Etsy. I haven't seen Jake fabric yet.

I also have bought from This and That from Japan on Etsy, as well as sellers EmiCraftinJapan and HanamiBoutique there. I've never had a problem and in my experience, Japanese sellers add little "bonuses" in with the package. I've gotten a tiny origami paper crane and an extra scrap of random fabric before and it just adds a little bit of extra special-ness for my daughter and I when I open up those packages. Plus, the stamps are cool! :goodvibes

YEAH!!! good to know something as simple as the foot makes a difference...it's JUST a foot! WHY?????

I've never used 3 layers of fabric and I've never had a problem with anything being too thin. I generally use my fashion fabric for the dress and then do the lining with muslin. Most of CarlaC's patterns seem to prefer lots of layers of linings. I also never lined any of my bowling shirts and I've never had a problem with them either.

I did that on my first design, too! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I thought I was the only one. I was in tears and ready to throw the whole thing away. I must have repressed that memory. :rolleyes1

Soooo La dee da I'm sitting over on Thread 28 waiting on people to post. I finally scroll down and see that we moved....

:yay::yay::yay:

So I finally made it! I guess I needed to get a clue!:rolleyes1

~Jennifer

I've never used 3 layers of fabric and I've never had a problem with anything being too thin. I generally use my fashion fabric for the dress and then do the lining with muslin. Most of CarlaC's patterns seem to prefer lots of layers of linings. I also never lined any of my bowling shirts and I've never had a problem with them either.

Ditto to all of this. I used 3 layers on my first simply sweet, but have not since then. I usually use the skirt fabric to line the top. And I also do not line the bowling shirts. My little guy is a heavy sweater and I think the double layer would be too hot for him. But that's just personal preference. I like the look of the lined shirts, I just think my boy would melt into a puddle :rotfl:

This is a repost of an earlier set - but the dress top is lined with the blue watery-looking fabric.
photo-2.jpg

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!
photo-3.jpg

Ok, I need help - embroidery with Brother SE400.

After a few hours of nothing working right, I figured out how to get the fabric tight in the hoop, keep the thread from breaking, and actually managed to get a whole design stitched out without breaking a needle.

So what's wrong? Is this just a crappy pattern? I sized it down - did it maybe not size correctly?

Please tell me I can fix this and learn how to use this thing right before I throw it in the pool!!!

I like it like that too - kind of cool! I am glad you figured it out.

Joann Fabrics is having a sewing machine sale. My hubby is willing to let me spend $400 on a machine. This also includes free shipping.

What do you think of this machine??? Yay or nay???

Please do not get a Singer Futura. I have one and I do not recommend it to anyone. It has given me too many problems. It is very hard to do appliques related to the screw down hoop. Plus I have alot of threading issues and I have been using it for 3 years now. I am going to get rid of it as soon as I get the funds for a good machine. (However, I gotta stop going on cruises for that to happen.)
I got mine from HSN and it came with the software. That would be the only reason to get one - if it comes with the software. It is a little more ex*****ve that way but the font program is worth it! I have used that more than anything.
Check out HSN. They can be a little more expensive but they usually have flex play and free shipping. Plus they have a few brother machines. I had the 4x4 Brother for my first machine and it worked great. The perfect beginning machine, but I grew out of it very fast with that small field. I sold it, but I wished I still had it for smaller projects.

Congratulating Heather !!!! (whom I am sure does NOT have a big head from the TV show clip)!!! This link was SO COOL, Thanks for posting it Teresa and I am glad I saw it, since I have been MIA!

Ok, maybe not!! But, it's fun to pick on her when she isn't looking! ;)

I decided had better check in on what my sewing friends have been up to lately and I land on page two (hopefully - if the internet here in Alaska agrees)! Yeah, I have never been this close before. But now I gotta go to the last thread to catch up a little. I will post the first picture before I leave.

For my cruise in May and October:
552035_10150717370168016_1618894012_a.jpg

I am not sure why the first one is so small the second one is so big. Eeks!

Cute bag!! And, the dress and top are so cute! That sounds like one very long, exhausting and fun day!

Heather - I saw the video (so cool) and I'm glad you still have time for the boards now that you are famous. :rotfl: You'll probably be staying in the castle soon like Tom Cruise and Suri.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm here. I know Teresa moved it a few pages early, but a couple of threads ago we got shut down somewhere in the 240's, so I'm sure she is trying to avoid that happening again. Some Mods Moderate differently than others, so better safe than sorry.

Yep, that's exactly why! I'm still a little miffed that they did that to us!

Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three :worried: per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

th_sewing070.jpg

They look so pretty!!! One of these days I'm actually going to do this!

Joann Fabrics is having a sewing machine sale. My hubby is willing to let me spend $400 on a machine. This also includes free shipping.

What do you think of this machine??? Yay or nay???
STAY AWAY!!!! These machines give people more problems than any other machine!

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

Thanks for helping !

I have no idea really, but I do love that pattern!

I have made that dress more times than I can count (or remember) and I have never once used the underlining. I just use fashion fabric and lining. It always turns out fine.

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot.

I'm so glad you figured it out!

:

This is a repost of an earlier set - but the dress top is lined with the blue watery-looking fabric.
th_photo-2.jpg

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!
th_photo-3.jpg
I love the bowling shirt and SS!!! And the pool robes are sooo cute!!!

Working on some outfits for our Thanksgiving trip. Right now I'm working on a Christmas outfit to wear either to the MVMCP party on the 16th or to Epcot for the Christmas Storytellers on the 24th. Its a short sleeved dress with a full circle skirt. The pattern has options for a fully lined skirt with a Tulle Midlayer or just to do the plain skirt. Would you do a Tulle middle layer for fullness at the park? I haven't ever done the pettiskirt option or anything like that with the dresses. Of course dresses we buy have Tulle and the girls wear those with no problem.

Since it is in late November I doubt it will be super hot on our trip. If I was going in the summer I think I would go with the plain single layer for the dress.
I think the single layer would be fine but the mid layer sounds like it would make the dress even better and with the Nov visit you shouldn't have a problem with it being too hot, especially at night.

Cheryl - these look great. I've been hesitant to buy the fabric because I know you mentioned it was getting smaller at JoAnn's. Is there another good store that sell the wider flannel? Thanks for the quilting tips. I like how you did the double lines on the diagonal. Dorrrine must love her quilt.

Thanks for helping !
That is a really cute pattern. I personally would be scared to use stripes as I know I could not match them up but I think Diane's suggestion of strips would look really pretty with this pattern.

I see you got lots of advice on this. I think the 2 layers with one layer of muslin as the lining would be fine.

Piper - that is a good idea.

Yes, I can laugh at myself now!!
Stitch looks great. I am glad you figured it out. When in doubt read the manual. I usually make myself crazy trying to figure something out on my own and then I break down and get out the manual to find that I missed a very simple step. Can't wait to see what else you make!

Soooo La dee da I'm sitting over on Thread 28 waiting on people to post. I finally scroll down and see that we moved....

So I finally made it! I guess I needed to get a clue!

~Jennifer
That is usually me! I think I am so good with keeping up on the thread and come to find out there is a new thread! :wave2:

th_photo-3.jpg
These look great.

campbell95 said:

What pattern did you use for the pool robes? Those are adorable!!

campbell95 said:
Thanks! I followed an online tutorial. I hope it's ok to post the link here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/media/blog/childspoolrobe.pdf

I added the pockets by accident. My machine jumped on the first Mack I tried to stitch out, so I covered it with a pocket :good vibes It ended up so cute that I added it to my daughter's robe too.

Cool! Well I saved the link in case they come after you AHAHAHA

So after someone busted out the idea of buying fabric from Japan on Etsy I of course HAD to check it out. Yeh thanks! I JUST bought a slew of fabric from 2 shops (though one was Taiwan!). Thanks enablers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter