Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Ok, I need help - embroidery with Brother SE400.

After a few hours of nothing working right, I figured out how to get the fabric tight in the hoop, keep the thread from breaking, and actually managed to get a whole design stitched out without breaking a needle.

So what's wrong? Is this just a crappy pattern? I sized it down - did it maybe not size correctly?

Please tell me I can fix this and learn how to use this thing right before I throw it in the pool!!!

Are you repositioning between colors (taking the hoop off and moving the arm at all?)? Rethread your bobbin perhaps and see if that helps? When you say the thread keeps breaking, and you rethread are you going back about 10 stitches before starting over? Is the top thread coming off the spool right? My machine the Brother 2800d says it "comes off the back" well what I thought was the back was NOT! My mom the sewer showed me and it to me "comes off the front" but that is because if I hold the spool horizontally in front of me, I have the string coming at me from the bottom (my machine has the thread loaded this way as well, horizontal spool) look at this pic and that's what I mean if it was a spool of thread http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-432...l-on-white-background-with-a-soft-shadow.html (hopefully I can post that link to help you)!

DIANE: I love the bags -- I did some quilting on a project (in progress) and it wasn't too bad, but the marking does take a little time. If I found great fabric like that, already quilted, at that price, believe me, I would buy it! I'm most happy that your dd's like the bags :woohoo:

I know there was much more to comment on, but I'm senile and forget easily (Cheryl must be rubbing off on me :lmao:).

Since you're buttering me up, tomorrow I'll take a photo of the masking tape quilting method. Mucho quick.

PS Do you have a walking foot with the "L" attachment? Also a time saver.

:upsidedow <---- famous in my own time :cool1:

Wow, page 3...I don't look at the thread for two days and you guys moved:surfweb: D that was cute reserving a spot for M. Let's see if I can keep up with the post now.

This spot officially, saved for Marianne.

D~

I saw one of your bags in the Magic Kingdom - it was red with a Mickey on it. Really cute!

Howdy all! I'm back from my trip! We ended up having a great time, but it did have it's sad moments too. My DH's grandfather ended up passing away the night before we left for our trip. It was really just his time to go. He had be failing health wise for some time and his lungs were very diseased, making his quality of life just miserable. However, we carried on with the trip because that was the way he wanted things: he requested no funeral/wake/memorial and no burial service. And DH's grandmother was adamant that we go as well. We hope to skip up to visit DH's grandmother in Sept.

I got many compliments on some of the outfits that the kiddos wore, which made me really happy.

I also ran into Sandi not once but TWICE! Oddly enough both times were in Epcot! Her family is very sweet, although we didn't get much time to visit/chat as we were like ships passing trying to get to the next thing! Her creations are super duper awesome though!

Sunshine

It was great to see you too! I'm sorry for your family's loss.

I am sorry for your loss.

I'm jealous that you and Sandi ran into each other. I tried to keep my eyes open, but I did not see a lot of customs in the park on this trip. I'm sorry I missed you guys!! This was a surprise "take it easy" trip, so we didn't really spend much time in the parks. September is our big planned trip. My husband does shift work and just has to work a certain number of days a month. Sometimes they are spread out over the month, sometimes they are all together and he gets a free "week off" without requesting it. That happened in August :cool1::cool1: We have APs, so the park passes were "free", and we found a great room rate and airfare. :yay::yay: We spent most of the time at the pool :beach: I'm looking forward to going back when it's maybe 2 degrees cooler and not as crowded :rotfl2:

It looks like it could be a resizing issue? I'd try stitching it out at full 4x4 size to see how it does as-is. I have never had luck resizing anything more than 1 or 2 % to fit into my hoop.

Sorry we didn't run into each other, but I'm glad you had a relaxing trip. We were busy, busy!

We left the Magic Kingdom around 7pm and had dinner at Downtown Disney. We got to Daytona Beach around 10:30. We are going to do the pool and beach here in the morning and then drive back to NC in the afternoon/evening. I got about 2200 pics on my dSLR, another 100 or so on my waterproof camera, and about 425 on Photopass = still waiting on the rest of today's stuff to be loaded. We got a lot of compliments on our clothes, plus my son wearing the Lego Jack Sparrow shirt got picked for the pirate tutorial and got to fight Jack Sparrow! It was awesome.

Howdy all! I'm back from my trip! We ended up having a great time, but it did have it's sad moments too. My DH's grandfather ended up passing away the night before we left for our trip. It was really just his time to go. He had be failing health wise for some time and his lungs were very diseased, making his quality of life just miserable. However, we carried on with the trip because that was the way he wanted things: he requested no funeral/wake/memorial and no burial service. And DH's grandmother was adamant that we go as well. We hope to skip up to visit DH's grandmother in Sept.

I got many compliments on some of the outfits that the kiddos wore, which made me really happy.

I also ran into Sandi not once but TWICE! Oddly enough both times were in Epcot! Her family is very sweet, although we didn't get much time to visit/chat as we were like ships passing trying to get to the next thing! Her creations are super duper awesome though!

Sunshine

Welcome back! Please share some photos of your trip :) I am very sorry for the loss of your dh's GF but very pleased that you were still able to make the trip feasible and carry on.

We left the Magic Kingdom around 7pm and had dinner at Downtown Disney. We got to Daytona Beach around 10:30. We are going to do the pool and beach here in the morning and then drive back to NC in the afternoon/evening. I got about 2200 pics on my dSLR, another 100 or so on my waterproof camera, and about 425 on Photopass = still waiting on the rest of today's stuff to be loaded. We got a lot of compliments on our clothes, plus my son wearing the Lego Jack Sparrow shirt got picked for the pirate tutorial and got to fight Jack Sparrow! It was awesome.
Welcome back! Can't wait to see some of those pictures!

Checking in to the new thread...maybe I'll actually have time to look at it every now and again! :rotfl2:

Wendy&grumpy
What stabilizer did you use?
Could be an issue with sizing down too.

It looks like it could be a resizing issue? I'd try stitching it out at full 4x4 size to see how it does as-is. I have never had luck resizing anything more than 1 or 2 % to fit into my hoop.

Are you repositioning between colors (taking the hoop off and moving the arm at all?)? Rethread your bobbin perhaps and see if that helps? When you say the thread keeps breaking, and you rethread are you going back about 10 stitches before starting over? Is the top thread coming off the spool right?

Ok, started all over, checking everything you all suggested. Stitched full size, no adjustments whatsoever, and it's worse. Way worse. Honestly, it doesn't even look like the borders/shape of each color *would* match up and fit together. :confused3

I think I'm going to try a different pattern and maybe different stabilizer - what do you all suggest?

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the compliments. We did spend the whole 24 hours in Disney. Kayla was such a trooper. We started in MK at 5:00am (for park opening) and then hit AK, HS, and Epcot - then when back to MK and spent the rest of the evening until 6:00 in the morning. Then we high tailed it to the airport and flew to Atlanta. Then it was back to Alaska the next day. It was a great adventure. We were so tired...Kayla was dozing on the Jungle Cruise and we got a few jokes about that. MK was packed all night. I wasn't expecting that.
Wow, what a day!

what a deal on that pre-quilted fabric! Girls look like they will enjoy using them. Great job!
Sunshine
So sorry about your dh's grandfather. It sounds like you all did exactly as he would have wished you to do. Glad you had a good trip though.

Yes, it was definitely a good deal on that fabric. I am happy that my girls actually liked what i made them.

DIANE: I love the bags -- I did some quilting on a project (in progress) and it wasn't too bad, but the marking does take a little time. If I found great fabric like that, already quilted, at that price, believe me, I would buy it! I'm most happy that your dd's like the bags :woohoo:
Yes, quilting your own isn't too hard. Just a little time consuming. It might actually be a good way to get dd to practice sewing straight lines, if I could get her to do it for me.

After a few hours of nothing working right, I figured out how to get the fabric tight in the hoop, keep the thread from breaking, and actually managed to get a whole design stitched out without breaking a needle.

So what's wrong? Is this just a crappy pattern? I sized it down - did it maybe not size correctly?

Please tell me I can fix this and learn how to use this thing right before I throw it in the pool!!!
Is this the only pattern you've tried on the machine? Are you having trouble with all designs or only this one?

Are you using bobbin thread in the bobbin or are you using regular thread?

Are you using special embroidery thread or are you trying to use regular thread as your top thread?

Try using a heavy weight cut away stabilizer to see if that is the issue.

Make sure there isn't any thread caught under the bobbin plate too.

Good luck!

I
Sounds like you had a great trip! Can't wait for you to post a few of your pictures of your outfits in action!

So remember how I posted that I hoped my two outfits would get sold at the launch last week? I got in trouble with the Disboards for saying that. Apparently that was considered trying to sell stuff on here. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Working on some outfits for our Thanksgiving trip. Right now I'm working on a Christmas outfit to wear either to the MVMCP party on the 16th or to Epcot for the Christmas Storytellers on the 24th. Its a short sleeved dress with a full circle skirt. The pattern has options for a fully lined skirt with a Tulle Midlayer or just to do the plain skirt. Would you do a Tulle middle layer for fullness at the park? I haven't ever done the pettiskirt option or anything like that with the dresses. Of course dresses we buy have Tulle and the girls wear those with no problem.

Since it is in late November I doubt it will be super hot on our trip. If I was going in the summer I think I would go with the plain single layer for the dress.

Sure, I go ahead and try to quote and you all move on me. For some reason I have no clue how to get quotes from the last thread over here -- ah -- maybe if I tried to reply there and c/p it here it would work. Too late now!!!

I am in the middle of a few little things and doubt I will get everything wrapped up before heading for the Dismeet. But hopefully I'll get pics posted after my return. I also wanted to get a pj shirt made for dd before heading out, but I don't see that happening. I am also running out of things I need like Decor Bond and fusible fleece and really don't want to spend $$ now, so I will have to get some clothes making done for dd for the upcoming school year. I have a few t's already purchased that I can embroider for her and hopefully have fabrics to make some skirts.

I know there was much more to comment on, but I'm senile and forget easily (Cheryl must be rubbing off on me :lmao:).

Okay, about transferring over quotes from another thread: when you've gathered all your quotes and go to respond on the new thread under the text box where you type there will be (in REALLY REALLY small letters) something like "use quotes from other thread" either click on that link (or check the box....I can't remember for sure which one) and it will add the quotes you picked up from the other thread to the new one. HTH and didn't end up confusing you more.

I really hope that you get all the sewing you want finished before your trip. I just know that you are going to have a fabulous time meeting everyone else!

Oh and about pictures, yes I will try to post a few, although I must confess that I didn't take very many. Guess I should dig out the camera though and find out what IS on there!

I am sorry for your loss.

I'm jealous that you and Sandi ran into each other. I tried to keep my eyes open, but I did not see a lot of customs in the park on this trip. I'm sorry I missed you guys!! This was a surprise "take it easy" trip, so we didn't really spend much time in the parks. September is our big planned trip. My husband does shift work and just has to work a certain number of days a month. Sometimes they are spread out over the month, sometimes they are all together and he gets a free "week off" without requesting it. That happened in August :cool1::cool1: We have APs, so the park passes were "free", and we found a great room rate and airfare. :yay::yay: We spent most of the time at the pool :beach: I'm looking forward to going back when it's maybe 2 degrees cooler and not as crowded :rotfl2:

Thanks you for the kind words on my DH's grandfather. we will miss him dearly as he was a good man.

I also didn't see very many customs. And trust me, I was LOOKING! I hate that we missed seeing you too, but honestly your "relaxing trip" sounds heavenly! After we got back home, my DH FINALLY got why I kept wanting a longer trip so that we could have "off" days!

Since you're buttering me up, tomorrow I'll take a photo of the masking tape quilting method. Mucho quick.

PS Do you have a walking foot with the "L" attachment? Also a time saver.

:upsidedow <---- famous in my own time :cool1:

Oh I would LOVE to see the masking tape method for quilting. PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

I saw one of your bags in the Magic Kingdom - it was red with a Mickey on it. Really cute!

It was great to see you too! I'm sorry for your family's loss.

Sorry we didn't run into each other, but I'm glad you had a relaxing trip. We were busy, busy!

Bummer I didn't see D~'s bag! I hope that you had a good end to your trip and you guys enjoyed the beach. WOW on the amount of pictures you all took! You have seriously put me to shame! I'm SO glad that your kiddos got lots of extra attention and that your DS got to fight Jack! How COOL!

Ok, started all over, checking everything you all suggested. Stitched full size, no adjustments whatsoever, and it's worse. Way worse. Honestly, it doesn't even look like the borders/shape of each color *would* match up and fit together. :confused3

I think I'm going to try a different pattern and maybe different stabilizer - what do you all suggest?

Thank you for your help!

Oh no! I was really hoping it was a resizing thing (as that seemed really easy to fix). I do not own an embroidery machine so I'm really no help but I hope these lovely ladies can help you troubleshoot and get things stitching out beautifully in no time.

So sorry about your dh's grandfather. It sounds like you all did exactly as he would have wished you to do. Glad you had a good trip though.

Yes, it was definitely a good deal on that fabric. I am happy that my girls actually liked what i made them.

So remember how I posted that I hoped my two outfits would get sold at the launch last week? I got in trouble with the Disboards for saying that. Apparently that was considered trying to sell stuff on here. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Thank you so much for the comforting words.

And are you kidding me that you got in trouble for THAT comment? I didn't perceive it as trying to sell AT ALL but rather just making a factual statement.

Working on some outfits for our Thanksgiving trip. Right now I'm working on a Christmas outfit to wear either to the MVMCP party on the 16th or to Epcot for the Christmas Storytellers on the 24th. Its a short sleeved dress with a full circle skirt. The pattern has options for a fully lined skirt with a Tulle Midlayer or just to do the plain skirt. Would you do a Tulle middle layer for fullness at the park? I haven't ever done the pettiskirt option or anything like that with the dresses. Of course dresses we buy have Tulle and the girls wear those with no problem.

Since it is in late November I doubt it will be super hot on our trip. If I was going in the summer I think I would go with the plain single layer for the dress.

If trying to stay cool isn't an issue then I think I would do it, as it will look nicer. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Sunshine

I'm sorry I can't help with the embroidery machine questions, but I just had to say that I kind of like the sketchy look of the finished project. It would be great for a teen or an adult Stitch fan.

Probably not what you were looking for, but maybe a little bit brighter side to the whole frustrating experience.

Good luck with your future embroideries.

Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three :worried: per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

:confused3

sewing070.jpg

Joann Fabrics is having a sewing machine sale.
They have a Singer Futura CE-150 on sale for $379. Its a factory refurb and has a hoop size of 4.5x6.75.
My hubby is willing to let me spend $400 on a machine. This also includes free shipping.

What do you think of this machine??? Yay or nay???

Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three :worried: per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

:confused3

sewing070.jpg

Love all the pillowcases and fabrics you used, I need to make some more and ship them off. That's frustrating about the size of the flannel, I'm sure they are trying to be sneaky and don't expect many people to actually measure to see how much smaller it is!

It occured to me that maybe you aren't quilting straight lines, in which case my method won't work.:rolleyes1

I also occured to me that Nini has much more experience in these things than I. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

And probably other disboutiquers are more experienced in quilting than I do, but here goes. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

Oh I would LOVE to see the masking tape method for quilting. PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

Sunshine

Here's the way I do it for straight lines.

(I don't happen to have a top ready to quilt, so used some faux quilt material.)

Use your ruler to line up skinny (not that it has to be skinny, but that's what I have) masking tape, and then use the masking tape as a guide when you sew.

sewing071.jpg

sewing072.jpg

The above photos are to sew about 1/4" in from the seam. You'd sew 1/4" from the other side of the seam, too.

sewing073.jpg

Or you can sew diagonally.

sewing077.jpg

I did the "double" diagonal for Dorrrine's quilt.

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

Thanks for helping !

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts :)

sewing070.jpg
Love the pillowcases. It is pretty stinky that they keep making the fabric smaller yet charging us more.

Joann Fabrics is having a sewing machine sale. My hubby is willing to let me spend $400 on a machine. This also includes free shipping.

What do you think of this machine??? Yay or nay???
From what I've heard, it is smarter to stay away from the Singer machines. People report a fair amount of trouble with them.

It occured to me that maybe you aren't quilting straight lines, in which case my method won't work.:rolleyes1

Here's the way I do it for straight lines.

(I don't happen to have a top ready to quilt, so used some faux quilt material.)

Use your ruler to line up skinny (not that it has to be skinny, but that's what I have) masking tape, and then use the masking tape as a guide when you sew.

sewing071.jpg

sewing072.jpg

The above photos are to sew about 1/4" in from the seam. You'd sew 1/4" from the other side of the seam, too.

sewing073.jpg

Or you can sew diagonally.

sewing077.jpg

I did the "double" diagonal for Dorrrine's quilt.
Love the quilting idea. That is a very smart way to do the straight lines!

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

Thanks for helping !
Love that pattern. I think it would look good with a striped fabric like in the picture so that the border can go the opposite direction.

QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter