• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Ladies Only Meet 2006 Weight Loss Challenge - Starts March 28

First off:

Way to go Sarah! That's awesome.

Well, I walked 2.5 miles today. Its not alot but its 1.25 miles more than I did yesterday. :) (I only walked home from the mall as opposed to to and from the mall) I really like this walk however and may start taking it a few times a week and then trying to add a side jaunt to make it longer as I get more used to it. I am thinking about going and checking out our gym here now. I am actually dressed to do it so I really should go and just try it out. Or maybe I will later tonight as who works out on a Saturday night. Well, o.k. I would be but I don't have anything else to do. :)

Marseeya-do you have orthotics? Not sure if that's what you need, but as a woman who sells running/walking shoes at a running speciality store, I think you need different shoes.

What you probably need is a stability running sneaker or even a motion control running sneaker. Stability shoes will support your arch and prevent the mild pronation that adds to arch problems. Motion Control shoes are more severe in stopping that pronation, and usually are used by those whose arches are fallen or whose ankles curve in so much it appears their arches have fallen.

If you haven't done so, get thee to a local speciality running store (not Foot Locker or Dicks or the like, they don't know what they are doing) and get measured and fit. THe local shops usually know what they talking about and will be able to just look at your feet and help you.

And if you are concerned about them being running shoes, running shoes are just as good for walking as they are for running and are usually more verstile.

Alright my fellow Ladies Only WISHers. Just a couple more days til first weigh-in. The people I have on my list of participants are:

AdventurerKat
MommaU4
Trish5768
Alicnwondrln
macraven
JennaTX
sahbushka
DizznyChick
Anut4Disney
Marseeya
Mom2Ashli
2BigKidz
Agotta
Princess Michelle
Zippeedee

And our personal cheerleading squad:

:cheer2: KHase :cheer2:
:cheer2: JediLibrarian :cheer2:

Two of our ladies who have fought the battle and won.

If I am missing you, either PM me or I will find out on Tuesday when you PM me your starting weight. :)

k_hase said:
Marseeya-do you have orthotics? Not sure if that's what you need, but as a woman who sells running/walking shoes at a running speciality store, I think you need different shoes.

What you probably need is a stability running sneaker or even a motion control running sneaker. Stability shoes will support your arch and prevent the mild pronation that adds to arch problems. Motion Control shoes are more severe in stopping that pronation, and usually are used by those whose arches are fallen or whose ankles curve in so much it appears their arches have fallen.

If you haven't done so, get thee to a local speciality running store (not Foot Locker or Dicks or the like, they don't know what they are doing) and get measured and fit. THe local shops usually know what they talking about and will be able to just look at your feet and help you.

And if you are concerned about them being running shoes, running shoes are just as good for walking as they are for running and are usually more verstile.

Thanks for the advice! I did have orthotic inserts for my shoes and they helped, but if I did any amount of walking for a long period of time, my feet hurt no matter what I'd wear. Right now I'm wearing Rykas, which have been the absolute best for me so far. I'm definitely open to trying something new though. I'm not sure where there's a specialty running store around here, but I bet there's one in Pittsburgh. I'll have to check! :)

Marseeya said:
Thanks for the advice! I did have orthotic inserts for my shoes and they helped, but if I did any amount of walking for a long period of time, my feet hurt no matter what I'd wear. Right now I'm wearing Rykas, which have been the absolute best for me so far. I'm definitely open to trying something new though. I'm not sure where there's a specialty running store around here, but I bet there's one in Pittsburgh. I'll have to check! :)

I'd have to look at our Ryka's as far a arch support goes. They are a good shoe, but hard to find! Arch trouble really stinks, Good Luck!!

Princess Michelle said:
Well, I went to the grocery store tonight and got my food for the next two weeks. Lots of healthy things to take to work since that is my biggest downfall.

Tomorrow will be my first day back to the gym before work in a long time so everyone wish me luck. Getting out of bed will be the hardest part. I'm going to go get my gym bag packed so it's all ready to go in the morning. Hopefully I'll get to sleep at a decent time too and sleep good. I'm dealing with some personal issues right now and I'm sure everyone knows that lying in your bed at night is when your mind most chooses to dwell on things. Plus the fibromyalgia messes with my sleep also but praying for a good night. I think I'm going to start doing a stretching video before going to bed each night and see if that helps. I also heard the other day that exercising earlier in the day actually helps you sleep better at night, hope that's true! :cloud9:

I'm meeting a friend for dinner tomorrow night but we're going somewhere like Panera or Crispers where we can get something healthier.

So good luck to everyone, I'll be thinking about you and sending lots of pixie dust your way! :wizard:

Good luck Michelle. I hope you can get a good nights sleep and wake up ready to tackle that gym!

k_hase said:
I'd have to look at our Ryka's as far a arch support goes. They are a good shoe, but hard to find! Arch trouble really stinks, Good Luck!!

I bought a pair of Rykas last year for our trip to WDW. When I first tried them on, they felt like I had cushions on my feet. They were the first shoe I found that actually felt better than going barefoot! I found the same style at Famous Footwear a couple of weeks ago for $39. :earseek: I could not pass by a deal like that.

I heard from a podiatrist that New Balance is the best, but for whatever reason they just don't fit my feet right. Neither does Nike. So far I've only been able to wear Reeboks and Rykas. My feet are extremely wide. :guilty:

i have to go food shopping today to get food for my diet
now i really have a problem because im going to wdw 4/6 until 4/14
its not happening there ( the diet i mean )
i love the fiesta margaritas-the biergarten-come on thats all sausage
so im thinking about starting when i get back
which is easter weekend and if i could find a cheap flight i would stay longer in disney
im so fat and ive been looking for something to get me going
i really want in on this challenge
can i give my starting weight on the 28th but not diet until i get back from vacation ?
well.....either way your stories have inspired me
especially kat
i did move away from family and as i loved living in colorado because of its beauty-i mean reallly super outrageous everyday
i missed my family
i told my then dh i dont care if we live in a box i want to go home
my ex is a very friendly guy and makes friends very easily
im the opposite and it takes me years to make 1 or 2 close friends
the friends he made in colorado were very nice and even invited us over for holiday dinners but im so shy it was hard for me and some confuse shyness with snobiness
looking back i feel bad now-so many nice people we met
but i moved back home and he came back with me
well-thats not the story of my big butt but ive been at work and up for 24 hours and someones story got me going
see-i confuse myself-i work 12 hour night shifts 7pm until 7am
but we eat fast food working nights
and i quit smoking 3 packs a day 1 year ago
excuses.......excuses
but im in on the diet
starting tomorrow-i'll send in my weight

Hello everyone! Are you all ready to do this! Less than 24 hours to go and then it's on! I am looking forward to going through this with you! We can do this! It's a good thing we aren't ordering our t-shirts for a while, or they would all be too big on us for the trip!
Sarah

:guilty: :guilty: :guilty:
I don't think I can do this. I want to but I have more to lose than anyone else here. And it just seems impossible. Maybe I should just take my name off the list and look into that surgery like everyone else with the same amount of weight to lose that I have. It seems like the only way. Maybe insurance would cover it.

For me this is like going into rehab. It's giving up my drug. What will I do then? Everyone is so pumped to do this and I don't want to be the only downer. No one wants that around. I've even been trying to stay away from this thread so as not to bum any body out.

Well, I guess I have until tomorow to make my decision. I'll let ya know.

I second that...I put my goal for the trip at 42 lbs but I also need to lose about 100! I know you have a bunch to lose, but this challenge is just about supporting each other in this journey. One reason is so we will all feel better about ourselves and more confident in ourselves. Another reason is that it is another way to bond us for this trip! How many chances are you going to get to have this many women cheering you on and supporting you through this awful thing called weight loss that so many of us struggle with. It may be daunting individually, but together it will be much more fun and much more manageable! You CAN do this! We are here to help! You are worth it!
Sarah

Thanks Michelle and Sarah. Although I have seen both your pics and if you have 100 to lose then I must need to lose 200 because neither of you show that at all.

I will give it a go. Nothing like trying to change 10 years of over-eating over night. Nah, I'm kidding. I know it will not be that easy. Baby steps. One meal at a time. One day at a time.

I guess I should break it down too into a smaller goal. It seems too overwhelming to say I need to lose 135 lbs. Better to say 35 first and then go from there.

Thanks again for the pep talk ladies. I will try. :)

I have mini goals of about 10 pounds each. :thumbsup2 Much easier to break it down that way. I can't stand to think about the big picture -- it's too overwhelming.

First off:

BETH! You can do this. Even if you lose ten pounds by September, that's a victory. But don't sell yourself short. I believe you can do this. We all do.

Little goals is how you start. I am hoping for ten or fifteen by May 11th. After that, I will set another one for July.

Have faith in yourself honey.

To everyone else:

I look forward to your PMs tomorrow and my overflowing mail box. I am excited about this journey we are all going on together. Both of them!

Goodnight!

Beth-I was just thinking that maybe our goals shouldn't be so focused on what we weigh. What if instead of thinking about the pounds as a goal we thought about being able to walk 2 miles faster, or 2 mile at all, or the goal to make sure you have 3 pieces of fruit everyday, or that you workout for 45 minutes 4 times a week. Those goals are much less scary for me. The goal of not eating chocolate all week or all year is more than I can handle, but goals of things I can add to my life seem easier.

I still freak out when I think of denying myself. I'm obsessed with it sometimes. I try to focus instead on something attainable. That I'll make sure I have enough fruits and veggies, or that I exercise everyday. If we achieve those goals we will be healthier people. The weight should be secondary. We should care that we are healthy enough to commando park tour without having to take a break. We should care that all these women are inspiring and tough and beautiful because of their friendship, not because of their weight.

Now I think that's all mushy, I just hope that you'll stay around and try to find a way of thought that focuses on the healthy advantages.

Please stay Beth!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter