• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Ladies Only Meet 2006 Weight Loss Challenge - Starts March 28

macraven said:
me:

7.gif

2bigkidz:

8.gif

:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 for me, just finished exercising!!! I lifted weights, tried to do some sit-ups and then whatever it is you do on an eliptical machine (walk, jog? I don't know :confused3 but I did it!)

I put in a cd of hip-hop and that really got me moving. :banana:

Well, I informed my son that his afternoons are soon going to be spent in the gym...with his gameboy while mommy tries to get in at least a half hour of doing something. Once I mentioned the gameboy aspect, he didn't seem too upset about it. :thumbsup2

I just had a thought inspired by Kelly, who told me to run to Florida and not buy a plane ticket.

Could we do some kind of challenge that relates to miles to Florida from your town? For example, according to mapquest, Disney is 1280 miles from me. For the next six months I could tally all my workouts in miles and see how close I get to Disney.

All other workouts could be translated to miles. If you use a bike or elliptical or those types of machines they all give you distance traveled readouts in miles. Our PE teachers count aerobic workouts too, 10 minutes equals one mile of effort, a 30 minute curves workout equals 2 miles of effort, swimming 1800 yards equals 4 miles of effort. We did a challenge like this at work last year and tallied the miles of the staff.

I just thought it could be a sort of motivational idea, if as you worked out you could think of it as one mile closer to Disney.

I'm even willing to provide some sort of reward to everyone who breaks 250 miles or 500 miles or something like that. 500 would be a 2.7 miles of effort everyday for 6 months, so you could do an aerobic video for 27 minutes to get that done, or go for a walk that long, or go for 54 minutes every other day or whatever, you're all adults, you do the math!

But its up to you. My anal retentive nature already keeps track of this kind of nonsense. I even have graphs. I'm such a dork.

macraven said:
you have to realize i havent exercised in 19 years. i move at a snails pace.

Slow and steady wins the race. :teeth:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know how fast you're supposed to walk on a treadmill? Shouldn't you be able to do a mile in 20 minutes or something like that? I do 20 minutes, but only get about .8 or .9 mile. I can't keep up the pace at 3 mph.

macraven said:
i don't think i am that ambitious..........it takes a lot of thinking.

i just started curves this week and i don't even like it. i gained 2 lbs so far and have gone 3 days...............and it's not muscle

if nothing works for me in 2 weeks, i will do another diet.

I've missed a lot on this thread, sorry.

mac-I just joined Curves last week-it's already gotten easier. That 1st day I wasn't sure if I was going to make it around once, but I did. I've gone every day since last Wed after work. Today I did 3 rotations and it's a little easier every day. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Marseeya said:
Slow and steady wins the race. :teeth:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know how fast you're supposed to walk on a treadmill? Shouldn't you be able to do a mile in 20 minutes or something like that? I do 20 minutes, but only get about .8 or .9 mile. I can't keep up the pace at 3 mph.

I don't think there is a pace you are "supposed" to walk, its what ever you can do that elevates your heart rate. The better shape you are in, the faster you will have to walk to elevate your heart rate.

I would recommend setting the incline on the treadmill at 1%. Its barely noticeable while on it and mimics walking unassissted on land more accurately. Also, don't hang on to the rails or the monitor unless its to check your heart rate. Hanging on reduces your effort by quite a bit.

Macraven, you can do this. Maybe Curves insn't for you, but something else will be. You can go for a 30 minute walk anywhere!!

Curves is great if you are starting from scratch. The 30 minute or so workout burns about the same calories as a 2 mile walk. If you do this work out almost daily and cut 300 calories of a day from your food you will lose a pound a week. 300 calories is 1.5 cokes, or 1.5 candy bars, or a bagel (naked!), or a big bowl of cereal with milk...

Also, if you have higher resistance on the machines you will be building some muscles. Muscles burn calories just existing on your body. Fat does not burn calories existing on you body. So as you slowly add muscle and lose fat your daily calorie burn increases and you will continue to lose weight.

Congrats on today!!!

macraven said:
ok, this morning was my 4th time at curves.
i did the 3 rotations.

i can't figure out how i am going to lose weight by doing curves. a 35 minute time period doesn't seem like much.

i'll keep going. you have that contract and have to pay for the year if you go or not.

i got my $149 registration waived by paying for the entire year in advance when i signed up. whew..........that money would have been better spent on chocolate snowy...........

but i will hang in there.

how do you like curves snowy?

For me 35 minutes at curves is at least 35 minutes of something. I have NEVER excersised-EVER!! I just accepted it as a fact that the older I got the more I was suppose to weigh. And I've never watched what I eat-if I wanted it I ate it. At 5'3 , 191 lbs is too much though and finally something clicked in my head that I should do something about it. I want to lose the weight, but more than anything I want to be healthy. So the cokes are gone-completely and they have been replace with water-lots of water. I'm also watching what I eat, no more cookie/candy binges. Last night while watching tv I wanted to eat-I grabbed some cauliflower-I know that doesn't sound so good-but it's better than Doritos.

To answer your ? mac-I really enjoy curves. But I also see a friend for at least part of the time I'm there, so I don't feel so "alone" in what I'm doing. I've just made it part of my day. I actually look forward to going. My energy level has increased and I've noticed it.

marseeya-i think its whatever you can do without feeling stressed
push yourself but not so much that you cant talk
and i think any time off the couch walking is good

Hey girls. Just checking in here. Its our last weekend before our first weigh in!

My mexican meal on Saturday has been canceled due to my SIL illness but its probably just as well.

I will post the list of people I have PMs from who are participating here on Sunday. If your user name is not on the list, PM me and let me know.

Kim, thank you for providing motivation for us girls. I love hearing from someone who has actually done it.

Mac, Curves worked good for me. That's all I know. :thumbsup2

DizznyChick said:
marseeya-i think its whatever you can do without feeling stressed
push yourself but not so much that you cant talk
and i think any time off the couch walking is good

My problem is that I could probably go for longer on the treadmill, but my feet give out! I have tendonitis in my arches, so after about five minutes of walking my feet start to hurt. By 15 minutes I'm pushing it, then at 20 I have to quit. Aerobically, I could go longer and it would be better for me. On the recumbent bike, I can go about 10 minutes before my legs give out. I just need to strengthen my muscles before I get a good aerobic workout on the bike.

I am down another 3 lbs! 18 gone! And I am very excited about that. I am taking my son swiming this afternoon to try to get moving! It is soooo cold out right now, that I don't feel I can take him out for a walk...he's only 10 months old!
Sarah

sahbushka said:
I am down another 3 lbs! 18 gone! And I am very excited about that. I am taking my son swiming this afternoon to try to get moving! It is soooo cold out right now, that I don't feel I can take him out for a walk...he's only 10 months old!
Sarah

1.gif

way to go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter