DIS FIT 2021 New Hopes, Dreams & Goals, Chit Chat Thread

I feel i need to offer an apology here because it's been several days since i put the offer out to share my patterns and I've yet to follow thru. I haven't forgotten, I've just been misjudging and mishandling the number of spoons I have in my cutlery drawer on any given day. If that's causing anyone's brow to wrinkle in confusion it's an analogy used by people with invisible disabilities that was started by a woman, Christine Miserandino, with lupus.
Don't apologize!!! When you get to it, is just fine!!!! We will be wearing masks for quite some time yet. So I will have lots of time to whip up masks ;) That pattern is very similar to the one I have been making. It is great, as it is easy to make modifications to make it fit better for each person. Loved th close up of how you sewed in your wire!!!
Just need to natter a bit.....
Life sucks. That would be an unimaginable loss - and even harder especially during covid. Sending you and your friends' family many tight hugs right now.

I have to make supper... I don't want to!! The pets are lined up in the kitchen waiting for their dinner... the boy has not come looking yet but since dinner is usually at 5 (in 10 minutes) I'm sure he'll be along soon. Ugh... I don't like cooking! I have ground beef and no idea what to do with it. We had meat loaf and tacos last week. I need to either plan better or have a bigger variety of recipes I guess. What to do...

I have to make supper... I don't want to!! The pets are lined up in the kitchen waiting for their dinner... the boy has not come looking yet but since dinner is usually at 5 (in 10 minutes) I'm sure he'll be along soon. Ugh... I don't like cooking! I have ground beef and no idea what to do with it. We had meat loaf and tacos last week. I need to either plan better or have a bigger variety of recipes I guess. What to do...
Hamburger meat and gravy with mashed potatoes.

i know it’s past your supper time now, but for some ideas:
- quick meat and tomato pasta sauce
- quick stir fry (add some soy sauce, garlic, ginger, serve with rice and any veg.)
- stuffed into any vegetables (we like eggplant or bell peppers)
- chili (it’s best if you can make it around lunch and let it sit, but the actual prep is quick. add some canned beans, corn, tomatoes, spices, and let it simmer)

Thanks :) I need to get some more beans and tomatoes to make chili, and some potatoes (I had instant mashed potatoes but apparently they have "green things" in them so he won't eat them). Ah well... I fried up the meat and he had his with noodles (no sauce) and I had those instant potatoes lol. And gravy, because how can you have mashed potatoes without gravy.

Thanks :) I need to get some more beans and tomatoes to make chili, and some potatoes (I had instant mashed potatoes but apparently they have "green things" in them so he won't eat them). Ah well... I fried up the meat and he had his with noodles (no sauce) and I had those instant potatoes lol. And gravy, because how can you have mashed potatoes without gravy.

i like hearing meal ideas. if i have the time after i finish my post-bath/bedtime work, i’m going to try and find that old recipe post and revive it!

edit: i was too ambitious about what i would have time for...but hopefully soon! haha

Last edited:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/g1703/ground-beef-dishes/?slide=4
late to the party I was going to say
967 1111
Hugs Mel
I had one son that would only eat
three layer shepherd's pie made like this

meat cooked and mixed with mushroom soup.
layered on top ,cream corn topped with mashed potatoes ,,then extra baked and then sprinkle a bit of cheddar cheese on op and grill for a few minutes.

Shepherd's Pie! He loves that. Though usually only M&M's version. I add cheese to my serving when I do buy that. And I prefer it with cream corn mmm. He doesn't like mushroom soup, when I make tuna casserole (which he also loves) I use cheddar cheese soup. Which I also need to get more of.

on the off chance that others are a visual learner like I am I took a bunch of pictures as I finished up another mask for myself to show some of the techniques I've learned while sewing the polypropylene filter into the masks. Number one biggie NO IRONING ALLOWED, it's plastic!!! I showed how I cut the excess poly off as I go to eliminate bulk (essential when trying to turn them inside out and then topstitch) and wanted to show how I do that. First finger press the seam open and then flip it over so the polypropylene is against your cutting surface then you won't cut the fabric by mistake (oopsie, ruined one like that 🤦‍♀️)
20210209_111814.jpg
To sew the nose wire inside the mask it goes against the poly, I just use scrap material and then trim it down, stick the nose thing onto the scrap and then push it in the channel
20210209_104302.jpg
20210209_104547.jpg
If you're making a pocket on the outside, use a scrap and turn it into a piece of bias tape sorta and sew it to the right side of the lining material
20210209_104251.jpg
I like to keep the sewing to the minimum so I sew the ties into the mask -make sure you get it between the 2 fabric pieces, not the poly (oopsie another mask error!)
20210209_105508.jpg
Sew around the entire mask leaving a hole to turn it right side out, larger than you might have done since the poly is a tad stiff and if your nose piece is inside that's hard to manipulate as well. Trim the poly again, cutting up into the section that needs to be sewn shut because it doesn't like to fold!
20210209_111756.jpg
Turn and then topstitch the entire thing, slow going to get over the seams and ties! (Broke a needle the first time !) The ties can either be used as ear loops or to go around your head, I use pony beads to eliminate needing to tie. 20210209_113535.jpg
Taadaa another purple mask, my favourite colour- it was in the Christmas material so it was 80% off, guess those are ppoinsettias???

patterns to come later, lunch time and my brain is wonky now

on the off chance that others are a visual learner like I am I took a bunch of pictures as I finished up another mask for myself to show some of the techniques I've learned while sewing the polypropylene filter into the masks. Number one biggie NO IRONING ALLOWED, it's plastic!!! I showed how I cut the excess poly off as I go to eliminate bulk (essential when trying to turn them inside out and then topstitch) and wanted to show how I do that. First finger press the seam open and then flip it over so the polypropylene is against your cutting surface then you won't cut the fabric by mistake (oopsie, ruined one like that 🤦‍♀️)
You do beautiful work!!!!

You do beautiful work!!!!
Thank you, I doubt you have any idea how much I appreciated "hearing" that. I'm terrible to myself, the self-talk is nasty!

Here's the promised pattern (finally)
this is the one that I use for myself -- i wear the "adult size" of version 1 --- it's attached as a file
here's her suggestion for which version to use
If you want to see her video of how to make it Quick version
OR if you want more detailed instructions they're HERE

This video gave me both the pattern that works for hubby & daughter, it's a modified Olson mask, tips for making a bunch of masks at once AND the hack for sewing the ties into the mask without needing to make silly channels etc. You need to pay close attention to which part of the mask is the nose and which is the chin if you're adding in nose wires or it will be upside down --- YUP, made that mistake more times than i care to say :P
Modified Olson Mask Video

I have discovered that the polypropylene needs to trimmed out of the seam allowance as I mentioned above so you need to use a 3/4" seam allowance for ALL of the masks, even the Olsen one that has 1/4" marked on the pattern. When adding the poly liner, sew it to your lining material and then treat it as the "wrong side" of that material. Make a sandwich with the lining pieces right sides together as the "meat" and the poly as the bread. Confused? I'll see if i can find a video of that as well!

Modified Olson Mask Pattern

Attachments

• MY mask.pdf
    522.1 KB · Views: 1
Well today in my house is Daytona 500 day and since I can't attend my usual friends and family party I had the stand in bears attend for us. I present to you the Daytona 500 Bears suitably masked and unmasked watching the Big Race. Drivers start your engines - green flag at 3:05pm today. It should be a beautiful day in Daytona but there may be a chance of rain. Fingers crossed for no rain but I am sure that I can find something to do if the race is delayed for rain (maybe make the bears some new masks or even some outfits (NOT).
P2101456 masked bears generic.jpg

:car::sunny::dance3::happytv:

P2101471 nm bears generic.jpg

Bit of a lazy day here. Preparing for what I think will be a lot of snow in the forecast. I've been reading (old) cruise reviews and came across one for the Mediterranean, and man... I want to go on a trip! Mentioned this to kiddo and he said if we go to Europe he wants to see all the WW2 stuff in France. So... I guess we'll see, maybe by 2022? or 2023? At least I have now found something to research. Mediterranean, from which starting port? Which cruise line? or a more Northern route to Norway? I believe there are direct flights to London (in normal times), not sure that will still be the case in the future. Any way... to dream! I'm off tomorrow as well, a long weekend has been nice. Next one I have is in mid-March on what was supposed to be March Break week. I hope the weather is a decent by then.

Feeling so much better this morning. I just came back from a walk around the block (supervised of course). It feels good to get some nice cold air in my lungs. My throat is finally settling down (post surgery). Life will soon be back to complete normal, but better. Until now I had no idea how many symptoms I was suffering with. Life feels good.

Confession. DH and DS got A&W last night for a Valentines treat. I asked if I could smell it because I can't eat it. Then DH handed me a fry and said one wouldn't hurt. I savoured that fry. I could go into a long description but I won't.

Snow hasn't started here yet but it's coming.

Mel, I thought you said your air date on Marilyn was today. I just turned it on and they panned to the crowd. Which one are you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter