• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS FIT 2021 New Hopes, Dreams & Goals, Chit Chat Thread

OK, I've done a bit of searching around on Etsy for masks -- not promoting ANYONE here but since you mentioned i thought i'd look -- and I did find a few that are using the polypropylene in their masks. I searched "3 layer mask with filter" and then selected Only items from Canada. There are several out there that meet the criteria but I'll add my 2 cents worth (if that's even worth ANYTHING!) realizing I'm not an expert by any means but I've been making my masks according to specs put out by out health unit and a doctor in our city who posts regularly on Facebook. You need to remember that it's sort of like buying a bra as well, you can't just go pick up one in your size and have it fit without trying it on! I'm sure by this point you're all aware of THAT! I have 4 different patterns i use right now, one for hubby, one for me, one for our daughter & one for her wife, we ALL have different shaped & sized faces. I'm still searching and trying new patterns to find one that will work right now for when I'm wearing a hat, (ours have ties that go around our heads and urgh, I need to take my hat off to put it on) and I've had a couple come close but not quite good enough.

WOAH, off topic much Jacqueline??

Here's something interesting I did find on ETSY btw, you could buy this and then use in any mask that fits (if it has a pocket) just cut them to fit. (this is exactly the material I'm using except mine comes in a huge piece i had cut off a bolt!) It says "handmade" but that's bull 💩, all they've done is cut it into pieces!
POLY FILTERS

Here's another listing for the same thing in case you want option of black or white BUT if you can see the colour of the filter thru your mask it's too thin!!
POLY FILTER

You can buy filters like these as well from several places but since they're about 5 layers thick I can't imagine it would be easy to breathe!
MASK FILTERS

AND somehow it's suppertime already. I'll keep searching for a few CDN options that I know people have mentioned they like but the company i linked this morning gets rave reviews as well

HIDES in HANDS
Thank you for all the help !!
I ordered the “cut to fit” polypropylene.
I also ordered three masks from this seller as the reviews were good, I liked the features of the masks , and they were in Toronto. I’ll let you guys know what we think of them when they come in.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/879...-1-2&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1&col=1

That sucks. Is it an ongoing medication?

We are thinking of getting another kitten, yes I have 3 cats already. The two girls do not get along and the youngest is desperate for someone to play with her, so she torments the other girl. Old man is, well, older so he doesn't want to play. I think a kitten would be great to play with the youngest, and so we are looking at getting a Siamese, a blue or lilac one, a boy, and kiddo wants to name him Mars (to go with Snickers, Kit Kat, and Elsa). Any way! here is a pic of the possible babies that are a couple days old with their mama. And a pic of my 3 babies we have already, and the puppy. View attachment 553976

View attachment 553985View attachment 553984

it might be ongoing? it depends on how some tests go in a the next little while. ongoing would be good in the big picture, just painful in the short-term. like i said, pity party!!

thanks for sharing your fur family :) we’re a 3 cat house too!! one of ours is an old man too, but the other two are from the same litter. it costs more for food, but they have such a nice bond. so if you need an internet stranger to push you...sounds like time for Mars to me!

is your puppy a havanese?

it might be ongoing? it depends on how some tests go in a the next little while. ongoing would be good in the big picture, just painful in the short-term. like i said, pity party!!

thanks for sharing your fur family :) we’re a 3 cat house too!! one of ours is an old man too, but the other two are from the same litter. it costs more for food, but they have such a nice bond. so if you need an internet stranger to push you...sounds like time for Mars to me!

is your puppy a havanese?

He is a cockapoo. We are more cat people I think, but the puppy has been very helpful in getting me moving more (though not so much in winter, he is small enough that he is happy to play fetch in the house for exercise). My son is excited about the idea of getting another cat.

He is a cockapoo. We are more cat people I think, but the puppy has been very helpful in getting me moving more (though not so much in winter, he is small enough that he is happy to play fetch in the house for exercise). My son is excited about the idea of getting another cat.

how cute :) what better time to start a family menagerie.

OK, I've done a bit of searching around on Etsy for masks -- not promoting ANYONE here but since you mentioned i thought i'd look -- and I did find a few that are using the polypropylene in their masks. I searched "3 layer mask with filter" and then selected Only items from Canada. There are several out there that meet the criteria but I'll add my 2 cents worth (if that's even worth ANYTHING!) realizing I'm not an expert by any means but I've been making my masks according to specs put out by out health unit and a doctor in our city who posts regularly on Facebook. You need to remember that it's sort of like buying a bra as well, you can't just go pick up one in your size and have it fit without trying it on! I'm sure by this point you're all aware of THAT! I have 4 different patterns i use right now, one for hubby, one for me, one for our daughter & one for her wife, we ALL have different shaped & sized faces. I'm still searching and trying new patterns to find one that will work right now for when I'm wearing a hat, (ours have ties that go around our heads and urgh, I need to take my hat off to put it on) and I've had a couple come close but not quite good enough.

Thank you for this info!!! I am wanting to making all of us some masks. We all have different sized heads and like them to fit differently. This will help tremendously!!!!!!
On a side note: I just want to come over and give you a great big :hug:. I know that many of your days are a huge struggle to get through. Be gentle with yourself on those days.

We are thinking of getting another kitten, yes I have 3 cats already. The two girls do not get along and the youngest is desperate for someone to play with her, so she torments the other girl. Old man is, well, older so he doesn't want to play. I think a kitten would be great to play with the youngest, and so we are looking at getting a Siamese, a blue or lilac one, a boy, and kiddo wants to name him Mars (to go with Snickers, Kit Kat, and Elsa).
:lovestruc I got tears immediately when I seen your doggie picture. Your poochie looks very similar to our dog who went over the doggie rainbow last fall. I miss him terribly some days. His presence is definitely missed.

For those who have Netflix and like British period pieces (1930's ish) I have two movie recommendations "The Dig" and "Summerland". I watched both of these in the last week and enjoyed them.

Anyone have other movie recommendations during these last 6 weeks of winter?

Jacqueline, Looks like it might be meant to be!

On another note (which is what I was coming to post about) I just read that POP Warner (football and cheerleading) beginning of December will not longer be held at Disney World. For those of us who love to travel at that time of year (not this year maybe) it means being able to find a room and not having to elbow out the teens in the food courts.

Well PHOOEY, seems i can't adopt that ridiculously coincidental cat even if I wanted to. Thanks to COVID-19 they're only accepting applications from the Halton region (we're in Wellington county)

Sigh, I didn't need that extra kick today. Thanks for the kind words @Pumpkin1172 means a lot. Would you be interested to know which patterns I've been using for our differently shaped heads??

Would you be interested to know which patterns I've been using for our differently shaped heads??
I would. I actually use the same pattern for everybody but since I am only making them for 3 people and 1 only wears it sparingly as she doesn't go anywhere I would like to see patterns that people like. I found a pattern for reversible ones so I make different seasons/patterns on each side and yup I wash it before I flip them over. I plan on making some for my nephew to see what ones he likes the best. He has been using a gator at work since he usually works by himself but his company said nope no more and have given the staff masks now so I was going to make him some more. I ordered material from Lens online store and am still waiting and it has been a week already. If I could have found the material at Fabricland or The Quilt Store I would have ordered it from there as they are much quicker. I also found some new Nascar material for me there and I really hope it comes before next week since the racing season starts on Feb 14th.

For those who have Netflix and like British period pieces (1930's ish) I have two movie recommendations "The Dig" and "Summerland". I watched both of these in the last week and enjoyed them.

Anyone have other movie recommendations during these last 6 weeks of winter?

my current guilty pleasure is mamma mia 2. it's super cheesy, the plot has little to do with the first movie, some of the singing and dancing is very amateur...but everyone is having the very best time. so not only are you in sunny Greece, you're there with a kind and happy bunch of people.

if you're open to shows, my recommendation is we are the champions. it's about different international competitions for things that are specific and very niche. it's good storytelling, even when it's a topic i have never even heard of

I ordered material from Lens online store and am still waiting and it has been a week already. If I could have found the material at Fabricland or The Quilt Store I would have ordered it from there as they are much quicker. I also found some new Nascar material for me there and I really hope it comes before next week since the racing season starts on Feb 14th.
Len's Mill must monitor this site (Ha ha) as my fabric is on the move now. I should have it before Feb 14th.

my current guilty pleasure is mamma mia 2. it's super cheesy, the plot has little to do with the first movie, some of the singing and dancing is very amateur...but everyone is having the very best time. so not only are you in sunny Greece, you're there with a kind and happy bunch of people.

if you're open to shows, my recommendation is we are the champions. it's about different international competitions for things that are specific and very niche. it's good storytelling, even when it's a topic i have never even heard of
That's definitely a go to feel good movie. Mood lifter and a little armchair travel all in one place. I'll check out the "we are the champions". Thanks.

Would you be interested to know which patterns I've been using for our differently shaped heads??
That would be great! The son likes the masks he received from the school board and province. So I have found that pattern for him. DH has a small head so I have tweaked one pattern to a fit he likes. Myself and other DS like the fit of the disposable ones, so I have found patterns for those, and I put in some floral wire in the nose for a better fit for mine with glasses, so they don't fog up so much.

Well, took kiddo to the pediatrician this afternoon. He was really good (the doctor, kiddo was good too of course). I was glad he had actually read the psych ed evaluation from 2 years ago, and really included Jackson in the conversation. We have our work cut out for us now though. He gave us lots of paperwork and requisitions. We have to get blood work done, and try 3 new supplements. There are reqs for massage and physio, and a prescription for medication which we can decide if we want to try. He gave us exercises for Jackson's feet and posture. Explained a lot of stuff about "monkey" and "human" brain. And said 1 hour of exercise a day, no more than 2 hours of screens outside of education and family time, and 10-15 minutes of meditation (which will be hard, we've tried that before and Jackson gets really upset by it). So there we are... I've ordered the supplements and will get the prescription filled on the weekend. I will call the massage place and physio places tomorrow and see what that's like. And I have a meeting with the psychologist tomorrow morning to set up what we want to work on, which is helpful now that I've talked to the doctor. Any way! Phew... it was good to get the info, and hopefully we are able to move forward with this now.

On the way home we stopped for Taco Bell... they have one out there and Jackson talks about it all the time. It wasn't as good as I remember. But he enjoyed it a lot. We also looked at all the houses, and talked about how I grew up in that area. He goes between being ok to move (when he engages his forebrain that can think rationally) and not wanting to because he thinks he won't make friends in a new area (when he is stuck in the other part of his brain that just reacts). We'll be here a few more months than I had planned, and perhaps over the summer. So we may plant a garden too. We talked about growing some vegetables, he wants to grow potatoes.

Now we wait for spring and hope for nice weather to get out walking/running/biking and see how everything goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter