DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Sorry, can I please clarify: if they taste shrimpy then is there something wrong with them/are they off? I’m another who has never had shrimp and grits, and I’m partly intrigued and partly concerned about eating theme park shellfish!

I was mostly kidding.

Depends on how they are prepared but shrimp and grits are usually so loaded with butter and cheese that the shrimp are just a flavorless protein in the dish.

But yeah, theme park shellfish.... LOL!

I was mostly kidding.

Depends on how they are prepared but shrimp and grits are usually so loaded with butter and cheese that the shrimp are just a flavorless protein in the dish.

Oops, sorry! I forgot to switch on my brain today. :confused3

I was thinking it might be some kind of well-known thing, like the southern equivalent of “don’t eat yellow snow”. We have some in our party who are interested in trying shrimp and grits, but I think we will get them in our resort or DS, rather than in HS. If we are going to get food poisoning, let’s make sure we are paying $50pp for it.:rotfl2:

If I understand right, not everything is on the buffet? you get one of the main dishes, and just once?
no all you can eat chicken??? that would be lame :sad2:

If I understand right, not everything is on the buffet? you get one of the main dishes, and just once?
no all you can eat chicken??? that would be lame :sad2:

I guess we won’t know for certain until after the first one, but it looks like you order one entree and then you get fruit and pastries on the buffet.

I'm excited for the food choices. And my picky kid can just eat the yogurt, pastries, and cereal... I'll eat his meal. :rotfl2: The other kids will pick something they like from those choices and if not, not really a big deal. I knew the food choices were different than 'normal' before I booked the EMM.

Do shrimp with grits make the grits taste like shrimp? (Never had it before...lol)
Normally, no. The ones I've had the items are cooked separately but, I've never had it where it was a breakfast item. Not even brunch. That is likely the one menu item that did leave me wondering
Usually, the dish is very savory with quite a bit of kick to it, not burning/spicy hot but lots of flavors, even at Disney.

I was mostly kidding.

Well, Shrimp and Grits may be unique to the Disney Theme Park menus but they are not too unique to Disney itself. And the ones they've done at Disney elsewhere are actually pretty fabulous. I have hopes these are half as good, which will still be some of the best I've had. After all, if Krystal can do shrimp, so can Disney, LOL

I'm just having trouble with the dish for breakfast. Maybe if we eat really, really late.....

Well, Shrimp and Grits may be unique to the Disney Theme Park menus but they are not too unique to Disney itself. And the ones they've done at Disney elsewhere are actually pretty fabulous. I have hopes these are half as good, which will still be some of the best I've had. After all, if Krystal can do shrimp, so can Disney, LOL

I'm just having trouble with the dish for breakfast. Maybe if we eat really, really late.....

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that I need to eat immediately when I wake up, but even I draw the line at seafood first thing in the morning!

I’m in Scotland, so shrimp and grits is definitely not something I encounter every day. Where would be the best place to try it? We are mostly staying at POR, and are on DxDP, if that makes a difference to your answer.

as a vegetarian i would only have the option basically of the avocado dish. but what if i wanted one of those specialty donuts? I guess i couldn't have that because it's on the other main tray offered. Should just be everything for everyone and pick and choose buffet and maybe even some entrees from the new andy's lunch box place too mixed in.

as a vegetarian i would only have the option basically of the avocado dish. but what if i wanted one of those specialty donuts? I guess i couldn't have that because it's on the other main tray offered. Should just be everything for everyone and pick and choose buffet and maybe even some entrees from the new andy's lunch box place too mixed in.

I’m vegetarian too, so initially I assumed I would only have the avocado option, but I think the Mexican Corn Chilaquiles and Eggs Bowl might also be vegetarian. I’m definitely going to ask.

They say that pastries will be available for everyone, and maybe that will include the doughnuts too. Alternatively, it looks like the avocado thing (which looks revolting in the photo, IMO) comes with salad, so maybe you could that they substitute the doughnuts. It’s worth a shot.

I agree with you that I’m surprised they aren’t feeding us from Andy’s Lunchbox. Though I don’t think they have brilliant vegetarian options either (esp if they can’t even make a chocolate pop tart without adding bacon to it - I’m still bitter about that!).

I’m vegetarian too, so initially I assumed I would only have the avocado option, but I think the Mexican Corn Chilaquiles and Eggs Bowl might also be vegetarian. I’m definitely going to ask.

They say that pastries will be available for everyone, and maybe that will include the doughnuts too. Alternatively, it looks like the avocado thing (which looks revolting in the photo, IMO) comes with salad, so maybe you could that they substitute the doughnuts. It’s worth a shot.

I agree with you that I’m surprised they aren’t feeding us from Andy’s Lunchbox. Though I don’t think they have brilliant vegetarian options either (esp if they can’t even make a chocolate pop tart without adding bacon to it - I’m still bitter about that!).

often here, chilaquiles is served with beans which may or may not be cooked with bacon, so check that!

Like Akershus? Isn't that a buffet and they also bring out all you can eat eggs, etc to the table?
They didn't the last time I ate there but they may have changed. The last time I ate there, we ordered a meal for our entree and had the cold buffet too.

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that I need to eat immediately when I wake up, but even I draw the line at seafood first thing in the morning!

I’m in Scotland, so shrimp and grits is definitely not something I encounter every day. Where would be the best place to try it? We are mostly staying at POR, and are on DxDP, if that makes a difference to your answer.
That's exactly where you need to get them, at either Boatrights or the QS

often here, chilaquiles is served with beans which may or may not be cooked with bacon, so check that!

That’s good to know - thank you! We don’t have a lot of Mexican or Tex-Mex food in my area, so I had to use google to work out what it was. It’s the kind of thing I would definitely ask about, since I wasn’t sure, but my guess is that you are right that it will contain bacon. I got prematurely excited at the idea that there might be more than 1 vegetarian option! :teeth:

That's exactly where you need to get them, at either Boatrights or the QS

Perfect - that worked out well! Thank you. :)

You may be able to order the grits without the shrimp so that may be another option for those that don't eat shellfish/meat. The menu looks good to me. I'm glad Disney is mixing it up a bit.

BTW, it looks like Disney may be adding more times for October. The 7am time slot is showing up for many dates that were booked, like 10/15, and the 7am option didn't show up before. However, you can't book the 7am time yet. Some dates don't have 7am at all so I'm wondering if they are adding reservations.

You may be able to order the grits without the shrimp so that may be another option for those that don't eat shellfish/meat. The menu looks good to me. I'm glad Disney is mixing it up a bit.

That would be great, and I will definitely ask. I would be very interested in trying grits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter