- Jul 3, 2014
DHS/Toy Story Land Early Morning Magic ("EMM") FAQs & Discussion
EMM vs EMH – A Quick Clarification
- Although similar acronyms, Early Morning Magic (EMM) is NOT the same as Extra Magic Hours (EMH).
- Early Morning Magic (EMM), the subject of this thread, is a separately ticketed up-charge (aka, paid) event that allows pre-park opening access to Toy Story Land attractions and and includes breakfast.
- Extra Magic Hours (EMH) are the long-standing Disney-offered benefit where certain parks have extra hours available to WDW resort and otherwise eligible guests. This thread is NOT about EMH. EMM in no way impacts MK EMHs.
What is DHS / Toy Story Land EMM?
- You can read the full event description and details from Disney here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/early-morning-magic-toy-story-land/
In short, EMM is...
- A separately ticketed pre-park opening event which allows unlimited access to select Toy Story Land from 7:30AM-8:45AM. (Note, it is 8:45AM, NOT 9AM! Expect the rope drop crowd to arrive any time after 8:45AM)
- Open rides include:
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Toy Story Mania!
- Character meets include:
- Woody and Jessie
- The event includes a breakfast served at ABC Commissary through 10:00AM. Note: Effective 2/6/2019, the breakfast location moved to the Backlot Express.
When Is EMM Offered?
- So far, it has been scheduled on select Mondays, Wednesdays and some Fridays.
- See Post #2 for a list of past and current EMM dates.
How Much Does EMM Cost?
- Adults: $79 per person, plus tax
- Ages 3-9: $69 per person, plus tax
- Full cost is due at the time of booking
- There are no AP, DVC, or other discounts available for EMM
- Note, for reference, MK's version of EMM was $69 adult/$59 ages 3-9 from 2016-Nov 2018 and is changing to $79 / $69 12/2/2018, so both EMM events will be the same cost.
- DISers report that you are able to pay for EMM via Disney gift card by calling
Do I Need DHS Park Tickets To Experience EMM?
- Yes, you must have an EMM reservation AND valid DHS park admission.
- Your MagicBand (or other ticket media) will be scanned at the tapstyles before entering the park that morning.
What Is The EMM Cancellation Policy?
- There is a 1 day cancellation policy for EMM.
- The full price will be forfeited if a guest cancels within 1 day or no shows for the reservation.
- Note: There is language on Disney's EMM page that says "tickets are nonrefundable" - this is NOT accurate. If you go through the booking process and read the actual terms/conditions, it notes the 1 day cancellation policy.
How Do I Book EMM?
- Online: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/early-morning-magic-toy-story-land/
- Phone: 407-827-7350
What's Up with the 7AM & 7:30AM Reservation Times?
- Disney is doing something different with reservation slots for DHS/TSL EMM compared to MK EMM.
- For most dates, Disney has first been making a 7:30AM time slot available to book.
- When/if the 7:30AM slot sells out or gets close to selling out, Disney has been adding a 7:00AM time slot for booking.
- Most (but not all) dates so far have ultimately had "both" time slots bookable.
- To date, there is NO difference in how Disney handles 7AM or 7:30AM reservations at the event - everyone is treated the same.
- It appears this is a "slow loading" technique to encourage a more gradual arrival of guests vs all at once.
- Note! Disney's website contains the following language: "Guests with a 7:30 AM reservation will first enjoy Toy Story Land followed by breakfast, served until 10:00 AM. Based on capacity, we may make other reservation times available, with breakfast preceding the park experience for these Guests."
- Again, in practice, anyone can arrive early and eat before the event and anyone can eat up until 10am - there has been absolutely no difference in how 7AM and 7:30AM reservations are treated so far.
How Does It Work When I Arrive / Event Logistics?
- These details can vary by a few minutes on any given day, but generally speaking:
- 6:45-6:50'ish - they'll let you in the front park gate
- Breakfast is available at this point if so inclined
- 7:10-7:25'ish - they'll let you past the Chinese Theater and head towards TSL
How Do I Get to DHS So Early in the Morning via WDW Transportation?
- Guests have been let in for breakfast as early as approx 6:45AM and the land has been opening for everyone around 7:10-20AM based on recent reports). For most folks, this makes for an early morning and raises many questions about transportation options.
- Disney has a big fat disclaimer on the DHS EMM "Know Before You Go" info:
- If using Walt Disney World transportation, be sure to confirm schedules as reservation times may be outside of regular transit operating hours. Please allow up to 1.5 hours to get to your destination when traveling within Walt Disney World property.
- Generally speaking, your options are going to be as follows:
- Drive Yourself - if you have a vehicle.
- Resort Bus - these generally start running 6/6:30AMish every day of the year BUT buses that early can be infrequent. During your stay, you can check the My Disney Experience app for current bus wait times or check electronic boards at the bus stop.
- Minnie Van - Minnie Vans start running at 6:30AM. Availability at that hour may may be a concern.
- Uber / Lyft / Taxi - Generally speaking availability should be good even at the early hour.
- For some large parties and/or specific car seat needs, pre-arranging transportation through a company like Mears may be preferable: http://www.mearstransportation.com
- As with most "Getting From Point A to B" discussions regarding WDW, I recommend having a good handle on your options and to stay flexible that morning based on conditions. Having a Plan A, B, and C when it comes to early morning travel is usually a good plan as is building in more time than you think you may need.... just in case!
Does EMM Impact Crowds for Non-EMM Rope Drop Guests?
- The short answer is no, there is no material impact on normal rope drop procedures on an EMM morning vs non-EMM morning.
- The guest count for EMM is too small relative to the overall park guest count to have any impact, plus the large majority of EMM guests will have had their fill of TSL and at rope drop will be heading out to do other park rides or eat breakfast.
- Rope drop guests should expect to arrive in TSL approx 8:45/8:50'ish, which is approximately the same as a non-EMM day.
- Non-EMM guests may see some impact on Woodie/Jessie (and to a lesser extent) Buzz character waits as some EMM guests wait until the end to meet characters and these are slow moving lines.
Thanks to @Where'sPiglet? for the pic!