Destash 2019 Time to Trash the Stash!

It tasks me not only physically
After my massive sorting Saturday I slept for almost 11 hours! Went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 6 and read for about an hour ore falling back to sleep and didn't wake up for the day until 11AM Sunday! It felt amazing until I tried to go to bed last night. I am now running on 3 hours of sleep. :crazy2:

We did a big clean out here this weekend. DH dropped 4 big shopping bags and 2 paper boxes of stuff at the Goodwill, I sold a small shopping bag of books to Half Price Books, I sold a big shopping bag of stuff to Clothes Mentor and dropped off about 50 pieces of nicer brand clothes at a Consignment shop to sell. All this stuff had been piling up in my guest room - it feels great to have that room totally cleaned out.

I was in Vegas visiting my dad this weekend and just got back. My sister picked me and my mom up at the airport and when they dropped me off, they each took several items I was getting rid of. So that's 10 more items.

201/2019 or 10% done

I’m not really counting items and I’m a pretty avid declutterer anyway, but there’s a few areas I’d like to tackle.

I’m really lucky that I have a donation truck in the same lot as the Starbucks I go to everyday (that’s another story lol) so it’s so convenient to throw a couple bags in the trunk. I have a one in, one out policy with clothes and shoes so I never end up with too much. I don’t buy new hangers or shoe racks so I just don’t go beyond that space and it’s an amount I’m comfortable having.

So far this year I’ve donated several bags of clothes, purses, and some furniature.

I’d like to get a box of my excess makeup sent off to project beauty share, box up all my DVDs to donate (I’ve gone all digital), and do a round of jewelry/accessory donation again.

Once that’s done, I’m sure I’ll be on to new things. I’m never not getting rid of stuff haha.

I’m not really counting items and I’m a pretty avid declutterer anyway, but there’s a few areas I’d like to tackle.

I’m really lucky that I have a donation truck in the same lot as the Starbucks I go to everyday (that’s another story lol) so it’s so convenient to throw a couple bags in the trunk. I have a one in, one out policy with clothes and shoes so I never end up with too much. I don’t buy new hangers or shoe racks so I just don’t go beyond that space and it’s an amount I’m comfortable having.

So far this year I’ve donated several bags of clothes, purses, and some furniature.

I’d like to get a box of my excess makeup sent off to project beauty share, box up all my DVDs to donate (I’ve gone all digital), and do a round of jewelry/accessory donation again.

Once that’s done, I’m sure I’ll be on to new things. I’m never not getting rid of stuff haha.

I'm very similar! Something is always being purged. It makes me happy. I just went through my closet last night. My husband jokingly asked me if it was a Marie Kondo thing and I replied, "No, it's a Sunday night in January thing."

I continued on my DVD project today and boxed up all the DVD's we are donating. Also, cleaned out a closet. New total is 324/2019.

Stuff I've purged:
-a bunch of decorative bottles (gave to niece)
-3 Chinese-soup-type reusable containers (filled with leftovers and pawned off on family)
- 1 skein of leftover yarn (returned for refund)
- a tree. A whole tree. Well, most of it. Chopped a fallen tree for firewood, still have to lug away the bottom part of the trunk that's too big to fit the fireplace (and I'm too lazy to split it.) It really wasn't all THAT huge, but we'll have a few nights of nice fires from it, which will save us a little $$

Stuff that is going away tomorrow:
-bag of toys DD11 cleared out, unprompted on her own! (donating)
-2 white elephant gifts we got for Christmas that we are forwarding to a nephew who will find them amusing, then probably regift them AGAIN... (mailing tomorrow before the rate hike)

Stuff that is not "going" away yet, but is decluttered nonetheless:
- finished a crochet hat thingie that was supposed to be a 2018 Christmas gift, before life got in the way. Now it's a 2019 Christmas gift. Wrapped in a re-used Christmas bag with re-used tissue paper and going to sit in the gift closet for 10 months, out of sight, out of mind.

Non-clutter win:
Found wedding invites for my niece 90% off! Couldn't reach the fiancé right away, so narrowed it down to a couple of styles, bought them (150 for $9, was worried that they'd sell out before he answered!) then after they decided, I returned the ones they didn't like. So yeah, great deal for the wedding, but more importantly, I'm not stuck with 100 blank wedding invitations!

Last edited:

Finally had a chance to go through the photos of the stuff I purged last weekend. At least 150 items went on by buy nothing group that have been picked up/delivered. That's not even counting the boxes upon boxes of stuff that went into the trash.

I haven't gotten anything at all done since Sunday though. It's just been one of those busy hectic weeks between our normal sports, nephew's birthday celebration and having our windows replaced and new siding going up. OH! I did throw 8 sets of blinds in the trash. They were so far gone. The property owner agreed to replace them when he had the windows done. Of course the windows in my unit were installed Monday and completed Tuesday but he finally put up new blinds in the living, dining and kitchen today and curtain rods in the bedrooms. Now I need to go buy another set of curtains for DS's room because we only have 2 30" wide panels for him and that's just not going to cover a 96" window! HAHA!

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
1/15/19 - 53 items
1/16/19 - 72 items
1/20/19 - 150 items
1/24/19 - 8 items
running total - 474 items

I finished my DVD project and am sending a bunch of extra hangers to my mother-in-law. My total is 445/2019 or 22%. Since, the government is reopening and I am going back to work Monday, my destashing progress will slow, but am grateful for the progress made so far. Hoping to do a little more this weekend and maybe make a run to goodwill.

I haven't been counting items, since I know that would slow me down terribly to do so.. but guessing I've donated/trashed/recycled at least 1000 items or more already just in the last few weeks, woohoo!!

This is the year I am doing some major de-cluttering! Not that our house was that bad but this year I'm adopting a "take no prisoners" mode and really trying to scale back majorly on what we own and try to go more simplistic.

I've gone through my basement and put together 3 huge boxes of stuff that was donated. Donated a couple old end-tables that were sitting down there. Organized a lot of stuff into bins, and threw away some broken bits and pieces, or just stuff that was not good enough to even donate. Put together a ton of outgrown clothes and coats to donate. It's amazing how much cleaner and nicer the basement looks now!

Then the next step I did was my bedroom and closet. Again, organized a bunch of stuff. Put together a big box of books that I've read and have no need for anymore, and dropped that off to our library for their next booksale. Also put together a box of donation stuff from there, and a bag of trash.

Have also somewhat done our kitchen and dining room... went through all the cabinets and donated things that I've not used in years, trashed some other stuff.

I had my mini-van packed to the brim a few days ago with all the stuff from the basement and my bedroom and delivered everything to Goodwill on Saturday.. then took a second trip back after loading up a few more bags of clothing, etc.

The next step is going to be both of my daughter's rooms. That'll be a little more tricky since I'll be running everything by them, but I'm hoping they can get in to the declutter mode too. We're in the process of having our upstairs bathroom remodeled and my daughters are taking that on as their project of how they're going to decorate it, etc. So I'm hoping that getting a brand new bathroom might get them in the mood to want to clean and organize their rooms as well (their bedrooms and that bathroom are the only rooms that are upstairs.. I live on the main floor with the master bathroom).

I'm excited with how much progress I've accomplished this year already and am super excited to get this house in order over the next couple months.

A few more items have left the house last week, every little bit helps!

6 new hacksaw blades - to robotics center
1 out of date information and binder - recycled/trashed
1 Gift Card - used up and recycled
1 book (Falling apart) - recycled
3 plastic filament spools - recycled

12 items left the house

104 of 500 or 20.8% of goal

I've been sick all weekend, so I haven't made much progress. I did finally finish boxing up some items for goodwill that I had cleaned out and counted them. I also threw away a pair of shoes, a broken basket, and a couple of other things. I also have a bag of clothes to give to my mom. All in all my total is up to 502/2019 or 24.86% toward goal. Thankfully, the shutdown is over for now, so I go back to work tomorrow and things will slow down on the cleanout front. I'm still determined to pair down this house and make my goal though.

Last edited:
Not counting but tackled my 13yo's room today. Took out 3 bags of garbage, 2 bags to donate and 2 baskets of clothes to sell. Felt GREAT to tackle her room, since it was actually so gross we found a dead mouse in it around Christmas! Now granted the cats killed it and they like hanging out in her room, so they probably dropped it there, but still. EWWWWWW!

Cleaned the laundry room, while doing loads of laundry.
Took out 2 bags of garbage.
Found 3 Christmas items that need to be properly stored.
Found lite bulbs in almost every drawer and cubbie basket. (All sorted)
Found batteries in almost every drawer and cubbie baskets, (All sorted)

Recycled to the garbage a t-shirt rug I crocheted. Epic failure.

50/2019

8 travel mugs (EIGHT!!!) donated. Don't worry, I still have more.
Random things from DD's room donated.
Nice pair of rubber boots from last year that DD already grew out of donated.

I have a few things to unload that I'm perplexed about: 1 old laptop, 2 old PC's, and (I'm not joking) a real sword--like Conan the Barbarian style.

I have a few things to unload that I'm perplexed about: 1 old laptop, 2 old PC's, and (I'm not joking) a real sword--like Conan the Barbarian style.

The computers can go to Bestbuy, they accept them for recycling!!

Try the sword on craigslist or such, almost guarantee it will sell :)

You can often dispose of old laptops/PCs/computer equipment at places like Best Buy. They recycle them. I'm no help on the sword, though. Good luck with that one!

i'm to a point where we have so many of these and coffee mugs in general (seems like the go to souvenir so often) that i've taken to packing 2 travel or coffee mugs when we vacation so that (1) i have something that holds more than a half cup of coffee (awful little hotel cups) and (2) i can leave them in the room when we check out (figure if housekeeping doesn't want them they can toss them out).

Let's see... reorganized a shelf where I store my empty canning jars and was able to get rid of two cardboard boxes. Gave some leftover candy-melts and sticks and baggies to my niece for a girlscout project. Gave my niece the wedding invitations I found for her... but in exchange she lent me one of her centerpieces so I can use it for reference, so I got rid of some wedding stuff, got other wedding stuff... not really a net improvement... and it's only going to get worse until October...

Gave a whole bunch of plastic grocery bags to my sister, who uses them for garbage bags...

Took a look in the "scary closet..." it's actually not as bad as I thought, not great and definitely work to do, but not as bad as I thought...

On the upside, my 15 year old actually did a little work on her room! I'm not sure how much she actually is going to get rid of, but anything is a miracle with that one!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts