Destash 2019 Time to Trash the Stash!

Pantry is clean & I ended up with 3 trash bags of stuff. Ridiculous all of that was in my pantry and not needed. I now have a beautifully cleaned and organized pantry and can add 3 more to my total! I'm also taking some more stuff to my mom that I'm cleaning out (4 more items)

So 80/2019

I finally got a chance to get into my office closet and do some cleaning this past weekend, and I made a mess haha. My office is the part of the house where my baseball card collection resides, we keep our Disney Christmas ornaments and monorail tracks/train, my hanging clothes and shoes and a few other items. Here's what all happened...

I threw out 3 sports illustrated magazines from last year (the 3 I kept for whatever reason), a poster that used to hang in my office, 3 baseball card notebooks and a set of old batteries that were dead.

I also threw out a broken Christmas Story Christmas figurine, 7 more empty cardboard boxes, five of which held baseball cards at one time or another (I also threw out the baseball cards that were in them as they're worthless0 and 16 VHS tapes. They were tapes of old football and baseball games that I've recorded through the years.

Then this interesting thing. I threw out 10 bottles of shampoo (out of the master bathroom). My wife buys a new bottle of shampoo and conditioner, uses about 3/4 of it then sets it aside and buys new. She says her hair gets adjusted to the new stuff, so she has to switch. I'm guessing all women are like this. But there were 10 bottles all about 1/3-1/4 of the way full that I tossed out.

In all, I threw out 42 items this past weekend. I consider that a pretty good weekend, and I still have the filing cabinets and a desk in my office to go through as well as the closet in our guest bathroom (the one my wife uses regularly). May get time to do those this upcoming weekend.

My total to date: 60/2019!

I had drinking glasses above the stove cabinet like you put whiskey in, on the rocks never used them. Offered them to coworker today. I got an copy paper box now full of them plus 3 Disney mugs and a brandy glass~ going to coworker tomorrow. I think the rest of the short glasses are in the basement. What coworker doesn’t want will be donated as I go home tomorrow. Hmm 2 books are joining that box! I took an Ariel figure to coworker today too. And last week a big bag of kids books went to coworker who used her target discount to buy me a ton of Disney gift cards. Good deal for both of us.

Did a bit more last night as someone in my buy nothing was looking for some clothes and a gift for her friend. Went through my closet and pulled over 30 pieces, a brand new magazine basket and a throw blanket for her. I also went through a small tote of paperwork and a box of health and beauty items that was in my closet. Tossed every single thing except for 3 boxes of band-aids and a cherished necklace that had been hiding in there.

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
running total - 191 items

So today's project was DVD cleanout (I'm furloughed and trying to make the best of it). We decided to put all the DVD's into a couple of DVD books and get rid of the cases to cut down on space. I ended up throwing out 103 DVD cases tonight before my books were full. I've ordered two more books to finish the rest. We also are donating a ton of DVD's, but until I box them up and get them ready to go to goodwill, I won't have the count. I also am taking 7 DVD's to my mom/dad and gave her a coffee carafe earlier today. So that's 111 items out of my house.

Total of 191/2019

So today's project was DVD cleanout (I'm furloughed and trying to make the best of it). We decided to put all the DVD's into a couple of DVD books and get rid of the cases to cut down on space. I ended up throwing out 103 DVD cases tonight before my books were full. I've ordered two more books to finish the rest. We also are donating a ton of DVD's, but until I box them up and get them ready to go to goodwill, I won't have the count. I also am taking 7 DVD's to my mom/dad and gave her a coffee carafe earlier today. So that's 111 items out of my house.

Total of 191/2019

What kind of DVD books did you get? I've been considering doing the same thing. We are huge movie people and have over 400 titles. I'll be getting rid of some little kid stuff soon, but really not a lot. Looking to save space.

Gave 2 boxes to my sister yesterday, mostly books, for my niece and nephew. Today I will be sorting through the last remaining shelf in the linen closet and will pare it down to 2 complete sets of sheets per bed.

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
1/15/19 - 53 items
running total - 244 items

Gave 2 boxes to my sister yesterday, mostly books, for my niece and nephew. Today I will be sorting through the last remaining shelf in the linen closet and will pare it down to 2 complete sets of sheets per bed.

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
1/15/19 - 53 items
running total - 244 items

remember, if you are so inclined-most animal shelters have sheets, towels, old bedding on their donation wish lists.

remember, if you are so inclined-most animal shelters have sheets, towels, old bedding on their donation wish lists.
This is a great reminder and something that hadn't even crossed my mind since we do not have pets. I'll call our local shelter and see if they are in need at this time.

What kind of DVD books did you get? I've been considering doing the same thing. We are huge movie people and have over 400 titles. I'll be getting rid of some little kid stuff soon, but really not a lot. Looking to save space.

I got mine off Amazon. I just googled DVD holder. I ended up spending a little more to buy holders that look like actual books and were about 20 each because I wanted to display them. A giant CD holder would also work. We were not keeping any of the cases or art work, so that made it easier.

Finished up the linen closet last night and also did the kitchen towel drawer and junk drawer. Why oh why did we have so many sets of sheets? We only have TWO beds in the house! HAHAHA! Someone in my buy nothing was looking for bedding so my old comforter and 3 sheet sets went to one person. Another gal is starting over with just her and her kid's clothes after getting out of an abusive relationship so the kitchen towels and the other linens are going to her. I also put a mirror and bulletin board on buy nothing that have been leaning against my bedroom wall for 4 years. All will be picked up today :yay:

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
1/15/19 - 53 items
1/16/19 - 72 items
running total - 316 items

Finished up the linen closet last night and also did the kitchen towel drawer and junk drawer. Why oh why did we have so many sets of sheets? We only have TWO beds in the house! HAHAHA! Someone in my buy nothing was looking for bedding so my old comforter and 3 sheet sets went to one person. Another gal is starting over with just her and her kid's clothes after getting out of an abusive relationship so the kitchen towels and the other linens are going to her. I also put a mirror and bulletin board on buy nothing that have been leaning against my bedroom wall for 4 years. All will be picked up today :yay:

1/7/19 - 55 items
1/13/19 - 81 items
1/14/19 - 55 items
1/15/19 - 53 items
1/16/19 - 72 items
running total - 316 items

i'm into the destashing but i gotta say i was never so glad that i held on to a couple of UGLY, WORN but warm comforters until i went to get new bedding for my master bedroom and dd's old room. DANG-decent stuff let alone decent looking stuff is pricey, so much so that i was thrilled to find duvet covers for a fraction of the price. i threw them over the old comforters and got the look i wanted at a tremendous savings.

i'm into the destashing but i gotta say i was never so glad that i held on to a couple of UGLY, WORN but warm comforters until i went to get new bedding for my master bedroom and dd's old room. DANG-decent stuff let alone decent looking stuff is pricey, so much so that i was thrilled to find duvet covers for a fraction of the price. i threw them over the old comforters and got the look i wanted at a tremendous savings.
The comforter was one I had purchased 10+ years ago. I had replaced it 5 years ago and still used it occasionally as a second comforter on my bed but haven't used it a single time this winter, so it was time to let go

We have a snow day so I've been trying to make good use of the bonus day. I went through our office desk and recycled a bunch of papers. Now all of the papers we need to keep are limited to one big file box.

DD18's room is done, I just need to box up her little knick knacks to clear off the desk. The kids' bath is done too and I threw away so much junk. There is a trashcan in that bathroom so I have no idea why my kids would put empty containers back in the closet or cabinet?!?

A woman on Next Door gave away a large TV box the same size we will need that I was able to pick up. Plus she gave me all of her moving boxes and a bunch of paper!

I'm in again. We destashed our house today pixiedust: It was almost exactly 2 months to the day from listing to closing so I'm feeling pretty excited. We got rid of a ton of stuff when moving it to the new house, but most of the stuff we kept is still in boxes. I'm looking forward to upacking and seeing what else we really don't need.

A few more items this week!

1 broken mini tape dispenser
1 Notepad - used up
1 dried up dry erase marker - trashed
1 book - donated
12 Sheet Protectors - used up for a robotics project

16 items left the house

92 of 500 or 18.4% of goal

I can *FINALLY* say that I finished and sent a care package that I have been working on since before Christmas, which used up 6 skeins of yarn I had bought, re-used a shipping box and tissue paper that the in-laws had just sent, and got rid of a few other things we had assembled to go in the package. That took longer than expected. With that out of the way, I finally finished the "cozy" curtains I planned last year, which used up 4 pieces of fabric I had set aside, though technically I took 4 things and turned them into 3 things... but they are hung up now and look cozy and comforting. I used some scraps and another bit of fabric from my stash to make slipcovers for some throw pillows to match, which pulled a-dozen-or-so buttons out of the button jar, too. So not technically "gone," but de-stashed nonetheless.

Last week I drove over to my mother's house and returned the coat she left here ages ago along with a box of candy she forgot to take at Christmas.

DD11 has discovered scrunchies (which are apparently making a comeback,) so a few fabric bits that I might otherwise have tossed already are sticking around a little longer to get cut up for those.

I solemnly vow that the room screen and giant back of trash that have needed to go out for.ev.er. will actually make it to the curb this week.

Now I am back to working on a crochet hat that I started in December, that would really benefit from a form that is tucked wayyyyy in the back of "the scary closet," so maybe I'll start working on pulling stuff out of there next. (But I'm stalling, because EVERYONE was shoving EVERYTHING in there as we "cleaned" before Christmas. I just hate the idea of opening that door and letting all that ugly back out into my spaces.)

We have an open floor plan. We took the tree down today. (DH would keep it up 365 days!) I cleaned out the curio cabinet that is in the living room, taller than me and drug it down to the end of the hall. Pitching a few things and updating it. I made a Disney shelf :) I took a shelf off the wall where I stuck the curio cabinet, my uncle made it so I'm going to offer it to my mom, if she doesn't want it, it's leaving my house. And I pitched some of the items that where on that shelf and I packed up the rest. Then I rearranged living room furniture to update that area.
Right now I'm sorting magazine and cleaning off the fireplace area.
DD brought out more tshirt and socks to get rid of and she handed DH a foot tall stack of paper items from her room and said take your stuff from my closet.
The other day I saw a sweater in DH drawer from 30 years ago, I'm going to offer to take it and it's sweater friends to go away :)
I just decided to do a quick run throw the pantry~ oh my goodness~ I have not been rotating all the items. A few other things expired that I just don't cook cause I don't like it, I just need not to buy them.

Last edited:
O.M.G. I purged SO much this weekend. I didn't keep track of the number of items that went into the trash but it was A LOT. I'll have to go through the pics I took of stuff for buy nothing to figure out just how much I gave away. I finally put together a cubby thing to store/display my coffee mugs and did a little rearranging of my dining room so it wouldn't cover the light switch above my coffee bar and to give the window guys clear access for our window replacement happening today. I also went through every single box and tote in our 5'x4' storage closet. It was packed so full, almost floor to ceiling. It now only has the wooden cradle and rocking horse my grandpa made, a tote of scrapbooks and framed photos, 2 totes of keepsakes, a tote and a small box of Christmas decorations and the tree, our suitcases, sleeping bags, air mattresses, tents and camping chairs.

My entire living and dining rooms were such a disaster at 7pm last night that I started having an anxiety attack but I called in reinforcements in the form of DS11 and we were able to get everything in it's proper home, in the trash, and neatly stacked for buy nothing pick ups. With getting the cradle in the closet we were able to move the couch back about 18" and I'm amazed at how much bigger our living room feels now!

The only things left for me to declutter are 3 kitchen cabinets and a few boxes in my closet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter