Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

I am in as we hope to put our house on the market next month. Not sure we are going to make that deadline but we are trying!

I almost finished my closet this weekend. Another bag is ready for the goodwill and another bag full of trash. We keep one plastic bin each of clothes that don't fit but we like, etc. Every time I go through it I always think why did I keep this...

I have a box of serving platters, candle sticks, vases ready to be donated.

We threw out 10 strands of Christmas lights that didn't work. We have a whole other bin of lights to sort through but they are probably trash as well.

I am to get through the kitchen cabinets this week. Luckily the cold is forcing us to stay inside and get some of this stuff done.

Question - do you keep partial sheet sets? The fitted sheet was long thrown away but I still have the top sheet and pillow cases.

My bathroom is getting a new floor and vanity so I tossed a few things as I was moving everything out. Then as I put stuff in the new one, I'll re-evaluate again. The tile will be extended in the closet so I should have more things to add to what I already pulled out to donate so far. There is a box of clothes and few pairs of shoes. I need to go through my jewelry, purses, and shoes. DH said I can donate most of his old shoes.

My parents leave Thursday at lunch then I hope to spend the last few days of break cleaning up the holiday stuff and purging more from the house.

I'm definitely in. I called Salvation army to come pick up 20 bags of clothes and household
items Saturday. I called City trash to come take a dog house and big items that can't
really be donated and im too lazy to clean up and sell.

I have this terrible mindset that "oh i could sell this or that so i keep it" then it sits
for another year. I'm done with that. I might put some things on craigslist and if they
don't sell in a short time out they go!

I'm in! I'm not going to be counting toward a certain goal or anything, and one big thing for me is going to be using up what I already have instead of buying things. I especially love school supplies and stationery, and my collection is just a little too big! Here's what I've done so far:

1 bag of trash/clutter from my bedroom - trashed
2 sweaters - sold on Poshmark
1 thank you note - sent with Poshmark package

Totally in! But I don't think I am going to count items. Like a previous poster I will have nice things to sell that end up sitting there. So time to just purge! I am not even sure what is in the attic, which means we obviously don't use it. So when the Christmas decorations go back up there this weekend I will have my husband bring some stuff down to get rid of!

Went to drop off my donation at Salvation pick up area today and the trailer was full. Guy working there said it filled up in 2 1/2 days. Looks like lots of people are purging. Will try again tomorrow.

I'm definitely in. I called Salvation army to come pick up 20 bags of clothes and household
items Saturday. I called City trash to come take a dog house and big items that can't
really be donated and im too lazy to clean up and sell.

I have this terrible mindset that "oh i could sell this or that so i keep it" then it sits
for another year. I'm done with that. I might put some things on craigslist and if they
don't sell in a short time out they go!

I have been trying to sell off a lot of old clothes, I was pretty much the same size for over a decade and accumulated a lot due to work, weddings, living in an area with four seasons. What I found is it can be a lot of work to sell off items, even high value items NWT. I read something somewhere that said that we value our items more than others do. I had a trunk full of house hold items and decided I had to donate them rather than try to list them or I would drive myself nuts taking all that time to post and answer questions. Hoarding them to sell as not worth the money vs stress of selling them.

Also anyone trying to determine the source of clutter? What I found was that a lot of the clutter was household items we had been given and I don't actually buy all the junk. I have a hard time with this as I try to ask relatives politely not to give us junk as we live in an apartment but its so hard to get them to listen. My new rule is you can give it to me, but I can give it away too lol.

Had to throw out a cookie sheet. The teflon came off in the dish washer
1999/2018

Not counting as well but I'm in. We cleaned out loads last year when we finished off a portion of the basement that just stored crap. I found stuff from when I was in grade school! Just donated some leftovers from our summer yard sale. Hoping to keep going this year. Need to clean my closet and drawers again, go through kids' stuff, and finally -- FINALLY -- go through the book shelves to weed out books that need to find a new home. I think we are also moving towards a new china set after so many years and that will help the old ones from two households being gone and having just one set.

A few random items left the house today

3 clipboards - returned to work
1 prepacked holiday meats and cheese box set - to work
1 box of crackers - to work

5 items left the house

5 items of 2018 or .002% of goal

A few random items left the house today

3 clipboards - returned to work
1 prepacked holiday meats and cheese box set - to work
1 box of crackers - to work

5 items left the house

5 items of 2018 or .002% of goal

I like the 'to work' idea!

People are doing that at my job also - dropping food items such as cookie trays in the lunch room!

Haven't actually purged anything yet, but I'm in.

This is my retirement year and my goal is to catch up with my housekeeping and that means purging a lot of stuff. but before I start I'm going to Disney World next week! Then when I return home the clean out will start. My resolution is to not buy anything on my trip - just adds to the clutter.

The kitchen is my first spot that I intend to go through. I'm going to swap out my every day dishes. I have Fiesta dishes and way too many of them so they are probably going to be sold. In their place I will use another unopened set of Disney dishes that have been in my house for years. This pattern used to be displayed in the Main Street Bakery before it became Starbucks - they are Winnie the Pooh. They were on the wall where you came in through the line. I'll use them for awhile and then probably move to something else. Transition set from the Fiesta. Then once summer rolls around I'll go to a plain white set for awhile.

So the plan is to take my kitchen apart and put it back together with a lot less pieces. At last count I had 22 pieces of All Clad. Probably need about 5-6. Same with flatware - multiple sets - some brand new.

It's all got to go to create a much simpler life. I feel better just writing this. Now I'm committed to getting it done.

I'm in again. In 2015 and 2016 I met my goals (same number as the year). I took a break in 2017 to plan son's wedding.
Now I'm ready to get back at it, partly since our son married and moved out we have his leftover stuff to deal with.

Looking for opinions: Last fall we took down all the artwork in our living room and kitchen so that we could repaint. I have not put any of it back up. Partly because I like the clean look and partly because my tastes changed and I don't want the same stuff back up. (My kitchen had a full wall of framed vintage travel brochures). Do you think a home looks empty/too sparse if there is nothing on the walls?

I'm in again. In 2015 and 2016 I met my goals (same number as the year). I took a break in 2017 to plan son's wedding.
Now I'm ready to get back at it, partly since our son married and moved out we have his leftover stuff to deal with.

Looking for opinions: Last fall we took down all the artwork in our living room and kitchen so that we could repaint. I have not put any of it back up. Partly because I like the clean look and partly because my tastes changed and I don't want the same stuff back up. (My kitchen had a full wall of framed vintage travel brochures). Do you think a home looks empty/too sparse if there is nothing on the walls?

I think if you like it that is all that matters. We had some rooms repainted and we haven't hung anything back up either. We did replace one item to hang on a large wall in our kitchen. We used Command hooks to hang it so we can take down it easily if we change our mind.

Ha, Ha, White is right. I decorate Seasonally, so it feels good to take down paintings and art work every quarter. Sometimes I do not put anything up, or something really small-hate Fall colors and glad Christmas comes and goes fast.
I have a whole bin of decor that I am selling this summer-I just do not want to look at it any longer.

Today's decluttering included the following:

1 package of cucumbers - trashed
1 box of stale cereal - trashed
1 partial bag of marshmallows (dried out) - trashed

6 large cardboard boxes - cut up and recycled

1 Lego figure set went to son's house - relocated

6 items from fridge and pantry - used up for tonight's diner

16 items left the house

21 items of 2018 or .01% of goal

Last edited:

My son painted my family room five years ago. It still has no art on the walls. I did set a painting on the wall unit last summer when I painted it, but that is it. I really like the clean, uncluttered look in that room. It feels right. My room. I can do (or not do) what I want. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter