Desperate help needed fixing costume!

tinkamom

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
Help! I'm leaving for WDW in two days and my DD's belle dress needs to be "fixed"! The bottom of the dress does not flare out unless she twirls around! When she stands still the bottom of the dress acutally goes inward kind of like a mermaids tail! Does anyone have any ideas of how I can keep the bottom of the dress puffed out? I am a novice sewer so I'm looking for a quick and easy solution.
Thank you
Deb

How are you transporting it to WDW? Is it going in a garment bag? Or will it be folded in half lengthwise? The reason I ask....

The quickest easiest thing I can think of would be to put a length of very fine wire through the hem - think ribbon! The only problem would be once you fold it, the wire will want to bend there again.

Unless you can find wire on a round (not flat!) spool of some kind! Then maybe you could open a slit in the hem & check out how it works at home, but not thread it through until you get there??

Thanks for replying, I was thinking of something like that, maybe attaching the wire with velcro? There is no real hem but the dress is "gathered" vertically
http://www.stage-fright.com/beautbeasadb.html

The dress does not hang like the picture! I'm trying to make it look like the picture!

OK - That's not the kind of dress I was thinking of. Hmmm....How old is she? Can you find a "crinoline" (sp??) slip to wear under it? I have no idea how you'd attach wire with velcro. :confused3

DD is 12 but is adult sized, she's 5'2" and chubby! I was so dissapointed in the dress and it was not cheap! DD loves it though! I'm going to go to Joanns and AC more today and see if anyone has any advise. A crinolin would probably work but I don't think they make them in her size!

I was also going to suggest some type of puffy slip - do you sew at all? I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make at all.

Maybe you could go to a thrift-type of shop; Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a resale shop and see about finding a slip used for a wedding dress?

Go to the thrift store and look for a hoop -- you can adjust these slips to be as full or as straight as you want just by slipping the wire bands in and out. The uppermost bands can be removed if you wish for a softer look, but I prefer keeping all the bands in even if the top band is reduced to nearly body size, the extra little bit of weight and shape just makes the dress hang so much nicer. Yes, I have years of experience with these!

Actually, I found a ton of them on e-bay <http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6&satitle=hoop+crinoline&sacat=11450%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=06339&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=>
They run around $20. Personally, I like the cotton ones and if the fabric is very lightweight, you don't need 5 bands, a 3 band hoop works fine.

Hints: to sit easily in a hoop and not have it pop up in front, simply place both hands on the front as you sit. This makes the hoops lie diagonally and the hoop will lie flat down over your knees just as a regular dress would.

She really should have pantaloons under the dress if she wears a hoop. Jammie bottoms, with or without added ruffles (layers from knee to ankle, usually made of 4 inch wide lace and ribbon) are the simplest way to add pantaloons.

Hope this helps! :love:

Remembering you're leaving right away: go to a wedding shop for hoops or rent them

Thanks guys! :flower: I'm going to check out the thrift shops and bridal shops today. I knew I could count on the Dis! :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter