Decorating Hotel Windows

Oooooh! I hadn't thought about the gel gems or the window clings...gotta add that to my Christmas decorating list. Like another poster, we'll be there 12/18 to 12/25, so not decorating at home. I'm actually disappointed with BigLots, the dollar stores, and about every store this year...the only year that I'm wanting Christmas decorations to show up early and they aren't.

So far, I'm planning on a string of outdoor lights and extension cord in hopes of a balcony at SSR, which is pretty likely, a mini tree and wreath. I did find a small (about 10 inches in diameter) wreath at Dollar Tree that I'm gonna decorate with Mickey heads from Home Depot. The neighbor kid was doing a school fundraiser and the catalog had 12 mini (1 inch) Dinsey ornaments so I ordered them. I've gotta get the tree and lights for it. I'm also gonna snag some Mickey heads to turn into lightweight, packable ornaments. Oh, and am trying to find some inexpensive stockings for us...if not I'm gonna make them myself.

So, keep the ideas coming...

Last year at all star sports, I had my stuffed emu and hamster eating a sub sandwich in the window,
As people walked by I would hear "Is that real?"

***** :scratchin :idea: NoelGypsy adding to the list of things to pack, Lime Green poster board shaped as a Mickey Head!! ::yes:: ******

Great idea Pooh2001 :cool1:

pooh2001 said:
LIME GREEN Mickey Head - what a great idea.
How about buying Lime Green poster board paper.
Cut out a Mickey head. Punch one hole to neat the top
of Mickey's head - or one at the top of each ear.
Make sure the Mickey head will fit in your suitcase. Pack it on the bottom.
Buy at the $1 store, plastic suction cup hooks to use on the window.
Hang the lime green poster board in the window - or sliding glass doors.

i am gonna go and see what i can find....i am gonna make a mickey head too...lime green of course....i am gonna carry around paper with me and any room i see while at pop with lime green in the window i am gonna leave em a little note.... :wave2:

Our window will be decorated in a birthday / halloween theme. This trip is for our DD 13th birthday. She will be 13 on the 12th :bday:

ok i got my mickey made....and got some window clingys....plus our orange mickey head lights ....i think i might go to the disney store tomorrow and see what they have....this is gonna be fun fun fun...

extension cord - BIRTHDAY THEME!!! *duh!!!

Just talked to my mom, she was so excited, she says she "cleaned out Walgreens and Target" so we can decorate our windows!! :earseek:

Come check us out - probably a mansion at POR Oct 4!!

twoeeyy said:
Our window will be decorated in a birthday / halloween theme. This trip is for our DD 13th birthday. She will be 13 on the 12th :bday:

We'll be at POP 10/7 - 10/9 celebrating DD's 11th birthday. We'll have our window decorated in birthday theme. We can hardly wait! :goodvibes

I just saw, for the first time, the Gem Gels that Tinksgirl is talking about. I never saw them anywhere before. I was in a dollar tree and saw them, they are very cool looking!! I usually use vinyl clings ... so how do the Gel Gems compare to the vinyl clings? And how do you store the Gel Gems?
:wizard:

tinksgirl said:
For our christmas stay at the contemporary i bought gel gems

pooh2001 said:
Wow - we normally get some Disney themed window clings. I found some Pooh characters (fall leaves style) at the food store. I normally place a few in the windows and on the mirrors.

LIME GREEN Mickey Head - what a great idea.
How about buying Lime Green poster board paper.
Cut out a Mickey head. Punch one hole to neat the top
of Mickey's head - or one at the top of each ear.
Make sure the Mickey head will fit in your suitcase. Pack it on the bottom.
Buy at the $1 store, plastic suction cup hooks to use on the window.
Hang the lime green poster board in the window - or sliding glass doors.

You can always hang the Lime Green Mickey head to the side, by the curtain so it does not obstruct your view.

You'll be able to see your room better, than the Mickey head paint chips.
The paint chips would be hard to see if you have a 5th or 8th floor room at a deluxe resort.

I have tied a red/white/blue bandana to the balcony railing
so we could point out our room from the ground.

If everyone does the Lime Green Mickey head - it would look great from the ground of the Y/BC, GF, WL, Contemp... but you best place something else
on the balcony - or you will not know which Lime Green Mickey head is your room !

Most office stores have the blank plastic cling "paper"- you can print what you want on them from your computer. They'd be lighter and way easier to pack (less room) and you can just stick them on your window.

Anyone have all their Christmas decorations ready for their windows at Disney? :flower:

I have a few things but still working on my list because I want to find more Disney themed items to use. At Dollar Tree, I found a cute stuffed Santa and snowman about 6-8 inches high to sit in the window. They also had stuffed gingerbread people about 4 inches high so I got some of them, too. These are all made of that really soft squishy stuff so they will pack well and not take up too much room. I had a small Pooh bear at home that I have dressed up with a Christmas sweater and matching ski hat. I think I'll go to Home Depot for several lime green Mickey heads to scatter about in the window. What other Christmasy Disney things can I be looking for that will pack well and not be bulky?

This is the first time we will be staying onsite since 1994 - whew! I never knew everyone decorated their windows. What a great idea! I'm adding Christmas decoration to our packing list. :Pinkbounc

Is it too soon to hang up Christmas decorations?? We are arriving late on T-day so its kind of late to do turkeys and stuff. With the parks decorated for Christmas, what is everyone doing for decorations????

Just picked the last of my xmas lights for the window at POP Dec 3-12. This year snowmen and starbursts with of course a Lime Green DIS oval. The lights help me get back to the right room when Petals closes.
As far as when to decorate this year I would say when ever you want the 1st local radio station changed over to all holiday music yesterday.

OH MY......first time onsite, didn't know about window decorating. Can i do this is Feb? or is it just for halloween and christmas?
What are some cool ideas?

We have a plan! You have no idea how glad I was to find lime green was a popular color in craft foam decorations this year. lol

We created 3 craft foam boards for the window. One is for us, with stockings with our names on them and it says Merry Christmas at the bottom. My stocking is backed with lime green of course. There is a board for Tux Does Disney with lime green snowflakes! And finally there is a board that took lots of time. It has the train from my signature block. Tux is driving and it holding a sign that says Walt Disney World or Bust with Mickeysaver at the bottom of the page. We found some nice ribbon and will hang them from the curtain rod in the window. I can not wait to put them up because they are just too stinkin' cute. I believe we will have some twinkle lights strung up in the window too.

I will say that this has caused me to have a new found appreciate for craft foam art. I would have never thought that something that looks that simple could take that much time to make it look really good. Maggie

NoelGypsy said:
Anyone have all their Christmas decorations ready for their windows at Disney? :flower:

I'm just about finished. I have a small (14 inch) tree with lights, some inexpensive ornaments...(might add a few Mickey heads courtesy of Home Depot)...got a small (about 12 inch) wreath to decorate with some traditional holly or poinsetta and a Mickey head, 3 stockings to hang in the room, a strand of lights for outside, a few window clings and a candy cane spinner sock. I just need to be sure to grab a couple extra extension cords to take with us then I am done. :teeth: I also have a few small items for stockings, but can't decide to take or leave them. I might just leave them here and let them open those with the big gifts when we get home... :scratchin

I hadn't given much thought to a big Mickey head in lime green...but the foam stuff is pretty easy to work with so I just might go get some...maybe add a Santa hat to Mr. Mickey...heck the red will go nicely with the lime green... :smooth:

I'm just gonna be bummed if we get a first floor room at SSR...where will I hang the lights if I don't have a balcony to drape them on? :confused3

Nevergrow'nup said:
Is it too soon to hang up Christmas decorations?? We are arriving late on T-day so its kind of late to do turkeys and stuff. With the parks decorated for Christmas, what is everyone doing for decorations????
It is never too soon for Christmas decorations!!! :rotfl2:
But seriously, the parks will be decorated so decorate. I am going to get some gel clings and vinyl clings and some lights. And a lime green mickey head.

DWjunkie said:
OH MY......first time onsite, didn't know about window decorating. Can i do this is Feb? or is it just for halloween and christmas?
What are some cool ideas?
People do it all year long. In February you can do hearts or whatever. We always put towels we bring and stuff we buy in the parks in the window. It also helps you to find your room ;) They all look alike... :rotfl2:
When there are competitions going on winning teams put their trophys and awards in the windows.

momsgoofy said:
I'm just gonna be bummed if we get a first floor room at SSR...where will I hang the lights if I don't have a balcony to drape them on? :confused3
If you do not have a balcony, we are bringing suction cups with the little hooks to hang our lights in the window :goodvibes .

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter