DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Really! Wonder what the reason for that is? I mean... yes, I know it means a lot of people went. But why are they all in WDW now?
Well, there is a few things that factor in to it. Cooler weather. It was record breaking 88 degrees in Tampa yesterday and the Orlando area wasn’t much cooler. But, it sure isnt July or August.
Weekend, so you have the locals mixing in with the resort population. Still food and wine and the halls are all decked for Christmas. DVC season has started.
Media…….. no comment.
Other than that, I have never seen it on a non major holiday like it is. I’m curious to see what Monday will bring. I can say last Wednesday was not a slow day.

Well just a little update. We spent a good portion today at the Springs. A lot of people at the Springs. I went to make MK park reservations this morning for today…… MK and Epcot were at capacity. Couldn’t get in to either park. The hotels on the monorail lines were all packed. I’ve been coming here for 50 years and the only time I have seen crowds like this were Christmas and Easter.
Early October we had reservations through DVC at Boardwalk. Our guests plans changed and she was arriving one week later. DVC resorts were basically sold out. You could get a Tuesday night here or a Wednesday night there but you can’t book a DVC resort room two nights in a row through December.
I thought last weekends marathon would weekend was busy…. Wow.
Makes you wonder where all those people writing the articles about how Disney is empty and doomed now are getting their crowd info from.

Makes you wonder where all those people writing the articles about how Disney is empty and doomed now are getting their crowd info from.
Media…….. no comment

The only comment I’ll make, talk to someone who was just here or come see how empty it is for yourself. Just pack your patience.
Even Seaworld, and this was on Friday, you didn’t take too many steps without trying to avoid running into someone.
Veterans day week maybe? Do kids have off a day and families make it a week?

Morning, Fellas!

We're now down to one week to opening of Matilda the Musical, and life has been busy. We spend most nights at the theater rehearsing, and spent all weekend in the theater running the show and fixing things. We had the first run through with the orchestra (small orchestra, but very good) last night and it was so exciting to finally get to sing with them. We'll alternate running acts this week and will finally run the whole show come Friday night.

Well, just a quick stop. Have a good day, Fellas, and we'll chat later.

Getting closer...

Yes we are, and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. The whole cast is doing an amazing job, especially the kids. There's so much to learn and memorize, and they are amazing.

And this is different from your normal demeanour how?

Well, I go from cranky pants to cranky pants! Whole other level of cranky pants. I mean, I might actually get upset over something.

Yeah, that's a real shame. I really think there should be a big discount if you're staying at Pop or AoA when that happens.

I was thinking of the same thing, but have yet to hear from my travel agent saying there's a discount for those dates. Kind of disappointed actually.

January 3rd through the 7th is marathon weekend at the world. Tends to be on the heavier side for a few days and alot louder. All the metal’s clanging together when the walk. Lol.

Hopefully those crowds will be lower by the time I get there on the 15th.

We're now down to one week to opening of Matilda the Musical, and life has been busy. We spend most nights at the theater rehearsing, and spent all weekend in the theater running the show and fixing things. We had the first run through with the orchestra (small orchestra, but very good) last night and it was so exciting to finally get to sing with them. We'll alternate running acts this week and will finally run the whole show come Friday night.
Excitement mounting, I'm betting. :)
Well, I go from cranky pants to cranky pants! Whole other level of cranky pants. I mean, I might actually get upset over something.
:laughing:
I was thinking of the same thing, but have yet to hear from my travel agent saying there's a discount for those dates. Kind of disappointed actually.
Have you tried calling Disney? Something like "I booked Pop with the understanding that the Skyliner would be operating. I've learned that it now isn't. Can you do anything for us?"
You never know, you might get upgraded to a nice mod or better at a reasonable price. Doesn't hurt to ask. If they say no, or offer you something that isn't to your liking, you've not lost anything.

Morning, Fellas!

Well, just a quick stop. Have a good day, Fellas, and we'll chat later.

Yes we are, and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. The whole cast is doing an amazing job, especially the kids. There's so much to learn and memorize, and they are amazing.

Hopefully those crowds will be lower by the time I get there on the 15th.
Getting closer. I wish I lived a little closer, we would go see it. We have a local theater in our town but just haven’t had the chance to go yet.

Excitement mounting, I'm betting. :)

:laughing:

Have you tried calling Disney? Something like "I booked Pop with the understanding that the Skyliner would be operating. I've learned that it now isn't. Can you do anything for us?"
You never know, you might get upgraded to a nice mod or better at a reasonable price. Doesn't hurt to ask. If they say no, or offer you something that isn't to your liking, you've not lost anything.
Exactly, I tell people that all the time. Always ask, you never know.
The only part I’m not familiar with anymore is the use of a travel agent. I used one one time, he was a fellow dad and was just starting out, so I figured I’d help him out. I didn’t want to bother him and wanted to change something on my reservation so I called directly. They wouldn’t talk to me, they told me I had to talk to my TA. I’m not sure if it’s still the same way, but, never hurts to try. A TA is good to use, they do all the work, keeps you from doing all the leg work and making reservations etc. I just always did it myself, I always enjoyed doing it. We have been DVC members for almost 25 years and AP holders longer than that so I really only had to make dining reservations. I think it was just a few day trip because we came down to Florida to visit my in-laws. Can’t drive by the mouse and not stop. ( now I do it all the time. Lol)
The Skyliner goes down every January for maintenance. This year they are taking the lines down one at a time instead of all of them at the same time.
They change tires, belts, motors, switches etc. in the stations. They actually will take all the cabins off the lines, drop the line on the ground and cut a section out of the cable. The cable stretches with use. They come in and reconnect the cut ends. There is only two people in the world that make that connection and they are related to each other. If you ever notice, there is no ”coupling” or mechanical connection on the cable. They don’t tell you exactly how they do it but the way it was explained to me was it reminds you of those Chinese finger cuff things, put your fingers in either end the the harder you pull, the tighter it gets.
They work on things they can’t do overnight through the year.
I always have to smile, someone on here was saying they should add more lines to other resorts and the cost to build it is an unbelievable one million a mile, they just couldn’t figure how it could cost that much. The Skyliner covers approximately three miles of distance, the back up generators cost more than three million. Lol. The one is the size of a small ranch house.
I always tell people when they get to the Caribean Beach station, look up, a lot of what makes it work is not covered up. What you never see is all the infrastructure that goes into it.
That’s the way attractions, everything, the infrastructure is incredible. You only see a fraction of what it takes. The part you see only takes up a small fraction of the building. I’ve seen alot of Test Track, Im in awe every time I get a chance to be able to see behind the curtain in the buildings.

Hey guys,

Been out of commission for a bit. My wife is finally talking about it publicly, so I can share that she was battling breast cancer. She had surgery to remove it last week and is now recovering for the next 4-6 weeks. It looks like it's going to be a happy ending, as it was a slow-growing tumor and was caught early on. Pathology came back clear this week and there was nothing in her lymph nodes so at this moment we believe she is now completely cancer free! They are still doing some tests to make sure there is nothing further they need to do so we're not quite out of the woods. But so far it's been good news. Sorry I had to be vague earlier on but I was respecting her wishes. Hopefully we're now out of this and on the other side and I can go back to fart jokes.

Hey guys,

Been out of commission for a bit. My wife is finally talking about it publicly, so I can share that she was battling breast cancer. She had surgery to remove it last week and is now recovering for the next 4-6 weeks. It looks like it's going to be a happy ending, as it was a slow-growing tumor and was caught early on. Pathology came back clear this week and there was nothing in her lymph nodes so at this moment we believe she is now completely cancer free! They are still doing some tests to make sure there is nothing further they need to do so we're not quite out of the woods. But so far it's been good news. Sorry I had to be vague earlier on but I was respecting her wishes. Hopefully we're now out of this and on the other side and I can go back to fart jokes.
Hey, Mark.
How are you and Julie doing now?

Hey guys,

Glad too hear things are going well.

Hey guys,

Super happy to hear! A coworker of mine’s husband has been going through treatment. It’s been up and down these past few months, but we’re hoping for the best.

Just wanted to share some good news about Davy’s soccer teammate A (which is as of 11/08):

A little over a week ago, A was moved to the rehabilitation center. When she first arrived there, A was only physically strong enough to support her own weight for short amounts of time and she could not walk without a lot of assistance. A was also having difficulty speaking.

Over the past week and a half, A has received intense speech, physical and occupation therapy almost every day and the results of her hard work are outstanding. A can now take several steps on her own with some support from her physical therapist. She is also starting to talk and is beginning to express herself with and without prompting.

All of her therapists are impressed and pleased with the amount of progress A is currently making. Her entire family is extremely proud of how hard she is working, but no one is as proud as her parents. What A has done is nothing short of a miracle!

We had Davy’s annual IEP meeting today. He’s doing well enough that they are trimming his minutes away from class by 50 minutes per month. He’ll now be in his classroom more than 99% of the time. Super proud of him!

My youngest, Robin, has to be anesthetized on Friday for the dentist. I’m really nervous since he’s only three. Hopefully, he’s braver than me. Wait, he is. He loves Big Thunder Mountain (here’s a picture of him about to board it for one of his three rides within 30 mins on our last day at MK). He’s a wonderful, brave boy. Hope it all goes well.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hey, Mark.
How are you and Julie doing now?
We're doing ok. I've been working from home a good bit because she can't really use her right arm much at the moment and isn't allowed to lift anything. I've been trying to take care of stuff around the house so she can rest. She still has a drain in and that's the biggest nuisance at the moment. We're hoping that gets removed tomorrow.

Overall it's all about her rest and recovery now. We're optimistic that this is behind us. The only downer was the doctor saying there was still maybe a 1 in 5 chance she might have to do some chemo treatments. We'd love to avoid that for obvious reasons.

As for me, I'm just tired. Turns out she does quite a bit around the house and it's now on my plate.
Glad too hear things are going well.
Thanks Darcy!

Super happy to hear! A coworker of mine’s husband has been going through treatment. It’s been up and down these past few months, but we’re hoping for the best.
Sounds like a struggle. Hope it all turns out well.

Over the past week and a half, A has received intense speech, physical and occupation therapy almost every day and the results of her hard work are outstanding. A can now take several steps on her own with some support from her physical therapist. She is also starting to talk and is beginning to express herself with and without prompting.

All of her therapists are impressed and pleased with the amount of progress A is currently making. Her entire family is extremely proud of how hard she is working, but no one is as proud as her parents. What A has done is nothing short of a miracle!
Amazing! Glad to hear the good news.

We had Davy’s annual IEP meeting today. He’s doing well enough that they are trimming his minutes away from class by 50 minutes per month. He’ll now be in his classroom more than 99% of the time. Super proud of him!
Nice! Also great news.

We're doing ok. I've been working from home a good bit because she can't really use her right arm much at the moment and isn't allowed to lift anything. I've been trying to take care of stuff around the house so she can rest. She still has a drain in and that's the biggest nuisance at the moment. We're hoping that gets removed tomorrow.

Overall it's all about her rest and recovery now. We're optimistic that this is behind us. The only downer was the doctor saying there was still maybe a 1 in 5 chance she might have to do some chemo treatments. We'd love to avoid that for obvious reasons.

As for me, I'm just tired. Turns out she does quite a bit around the house and it's now on my plate.

Thanks Darcy!

Sounds like a struggle. Hope it all turns out well.

Amazing! Glad to hear the good news.

Nice! Also great news.

praying

Exactly, I tell people that all the time. Always ask, you never know.
The only part I’m not familiar with anymore is the use of a travel agent. I used one one time, he was a fellow dad and was just starting out, so I figured I’d help him out. I didn’t want to bother him and wanted to change something on my reservation so I called directly. They wouldn’t talk to me, they told me I had to talk to my TA. I’m not sure if it’s still the same way, but, never hurts to try. A TA is good to use, they do all the work, keeps you from doing all the leg work and making reservations etc. I just always did it myself, I always enjoyed doing it. We have been DVC members for almost 25 years and AP holders longer than that so I really only had to make dining reservations. I think it was just a few day trip because we came down to Florida to visit my in-laws. Can’t drive by the mouse and not stop. ( now I do it all the time. Lol)
The Skyliner goes down every January for maintenance. This year they are taking the lines down one at a time instead of all of them at the same time.
They change tires, belts, motors, switches etc. in the stations. They actually will take all the cabins off the lines, drop the line on the ground and cut a section out of the cable. The cable stretches with use. They come in and reconnect the cut ends. There is only two people in the world that make that connection and they are related to each other. If you ever notice, there is no ”coupling” or mechanical connection on the cable. They don’t tell you exactly how they do it but the way it was explained to me was it reminds you of those Chinese finger cuff things, put your fingers in either end the the harder you pull, the tighter it gets.
They work on things they can’t do overnight through the year.
I always have to smile, someone on here was saying they should add more lines to other resorts and the cost to build it is an unbelievable one million a mile, they just couldn’t figure how it could cost that much. The Skyliner covers approximately three miles of distance, the back up generators cost more than three million. Lol. The one is the size of a small ranch house.
I always tell people when they get to the Caribean Beach station, look up, a lot of what makes it work is not covered up. What you never see is all the infrastructure that goes into it.
That’s the way attractions, everything, the infrastructure is incredible. You only see a fraction of what it takes. The part you see only takes up a small fraction of the building. I’ve seen alot of Test Track, Im in awe every time I get a chance to be able to see behind the curtain in the buildings.
Thanks for that. Found it quite interesting.
Good news. :)
Forgive my ignorance... what is IEP?
My youngest, Robin, has to be anesthetized on Friday for the dentist. I’m really nervous since he’s only three. Hopefully, he’s braver than me. Wait, he is. He loves Big Thunder Mountain (here’s a picture of him about to board it for one of his three rides within 30 mins on our last day at MK). He’s a wonderful, brave boy. Hope it all goes well.
Good luck to Robin (and you!) tomorrow!

Hopefully the drain comes out (came out?) soon. Glad to hear you're stepping up for her.
Also... sorry to hear you're stepping up for her.

Thanks for that. Found it quite interesting.

Good news. :)

Forgive my ignorance... what is IEP?

Good luck to Robin (and you!) tomorrow!

Hopefully the drain comes out (came out?) soon. Glad to hear you're stepping up for her.
Also... sorry to hear you're stepping up for her.
IEP is Individualized Education Plan. Davy has it for his ADHD. But children can have them for many reasons. To use Davy as an example, he’s allowed an aide, extra testing time, can go to a different room, etc. IEPs can offer a wide range of solutions depending on the student and their needs and they are almost always in flux. Davy is making a lot of progress and he has begun to need less support. The ultimate goal is for the student to spend more time in a traditional classroom setting. For Davis, it’s becoming a real possibility. For others, they will always need that assistance.

I’m not even 40 and IEPs or accommodations for students weren’t really a thing until around 1999, from what I cam remember.

Thank you for the well wishes for Robin. My wife and I are more worried than he is (at this moment). He doesn’t know what is coming, but he’s a brave boy. We took him to the store tonight and he found a Slinky Dog he’s wanted for a long time. We got it for him as a post-dentist gift despite him knowing what’s about to happen.

He’s a really sweet boy. He’s always telling me how he loves me the whole world, how he loves everyone, etc. He’s just happy and deserves my best. Very glad for this time with him on TSI in MK.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Good Morning and Happy Friday Dads!

DDCC 12’s 60 day window is now upon us so I thought I would post the schedule of things for those of you who will be down there then, and for those of you following along, you can update your scorecards. 😏

DATES: JANUARY 18-21, 2024
DVC PREFERRED RESORT: ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE JAMBO HOUSE

ITINERARY
TUESDAY JAN 16
PARK: YOUR CHOICE

WEDNESDAY JAN 17
PARK: ANIMAL KINGDOM/DHS
7PM GEYSER POINT DINNER

THURSDAY JAN 18 (OFFICIAL KICKOFF)
PARK: MAGIC KINGDOM
GROUP MEETUP 30MIN AFTER GENERAL OPENING OUTSIDE OF SKIPPERS' CANTEEN
MK FIREWORKS DESSERT PARTY

FRIDAY JAN 19
GIVE KIDS THE WORLD VILLAGE
PARK: EPCOT
BAR CRAWL:
6:00 PM ROSE & CROWN
7:00 PM BELLEVUE LOUNGE
7:30PM ABRACADABAR
8:15PM MARTHA'S VINEYARD
8:45PM YACHTSMEN
9:30PM KIMONOS

SATURDAY JAN 20
PARK: ANIMAL KINGDOM
DAWA MEETUP AT OPENING
GROUP PHOTO @ TREE OF LIFE
6:30PM SANAA - GROUP DINNER

SUNDAY JAN 21
PARK: HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

MONDAY JAN 22
PARK: YOUR CHOICE
-------------------------------------------------------

IEP is Individualized Education Plan. Davy has it for his ADHD. But children can have them for many reasons. To use Davy as an example, he’s allowed an aide, extra testing time, can go to a different room, etc. IEPs can offer a wide range of solutions depending on the student and their needs and they are almost always in flux. Davy is making a lot of progress and he has begun to need less support. The ultimate goal is for the student to spend more time in a traditional classroom setting. For Davis, it’s becoming a real possibility. For others, they will always need that assistance.
Thanks for the info. I guess we have similar up here but I’ve never heard the term before. Glad he’s getting the help he needs and is doing well. :)

And Robin sounds like a great kid too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter